PDA

View Full Version : ECUTune Stage III dyno pull videos

mikecg
11-20-2006, 05:55 AM
For all those patently waiting, I now have the video's up on YouTube. here are the links. The S/C nearly drowns out Toms exhaust in the vids. Impressive when you consider that I was standing behind his car for one of them.

My dyno pull (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG-WGb7RLwY)

Tom's Engine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_VAc3QWTv4)

Tom's from rear (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzBn0yfKmw)

Enjoy.....

TomsSVX
11-20-2006, 06:30 AM
thanks Mike, i love patently waiting:p

Tom

Tim
11-20-2006, 06:52 AM
YAYYYYY for videooo

mikecg
11-20-2006, 07:25 AM
thanks Mike, i love patently waiting:p

Tom

Whatever.......:o

sicksubie
11-20-2006, 07:36 AM
What are the #####'s?

TomsSVX
11-20-2006, 07:42 AM
check Mike's locker

Tom

mikecg
11-20-2006, 07:56 AM
What are the #####'s?

With Software Version G, Toms best is 242HP and 275ft-lbs at the wheels with 12lbs boost.

My best with the same Version of software was 214HP and 236ft-lbs at the wheels with 9lbs.

Tom can probubly get another 20 to 30hp with a better exhaust and improved intake. I should also make a little more power after I fix some things. It appears that the changes in my A/F ratios and a slightly rough idle would indicate either a boost or vacuum leak. Or both. I plan on checking and sealing all my vacuum lines and replacing the intake gaskets. Then maybe I'll be trying it again. I'll get in touch with Tom to see if his exhaust is ready and if he wants to do some more pulls.

TomsSVX
11-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Mike, my pull before last was a little better... 247/280 I think... do we have that file??

Tom

mikecg
11-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Mike, my pull before last was a little better... 247/280 I think... do we have that file??

Tom

Ya I have all the files with me. I show 2 pulls for each version of the software. If you ran a 3rd pull, he didnt give me the file. I posted Version G, because it was the one your running, and has the smoother curve. Here's your best pulls for the other versions.

Version 1 = 241hp, 280ft/lbs
Version F = 249hp, 274ft/lbs

For those trying to follow, these are peak numbers. The version G may make a touch less power and torque, but the power is much smoother and pulles evenly though the power band. The other versions have a couple of spots were the power falls off a little.

Budfreak
11-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Lookin good guys. Once I get mine done I'll try to join you for some dyno time in the future.;)

Tony117s
11-20-2006, 11:53 AM
so assuming 25% drivetrain loss tom's svx has 308 hp. didn't lan dyno it and get like 340ish crank hp?

Earthworm
11-20-2006, 11:57 AM
so assuming 25% drivetrain loss tom's svx has 308 hp. didn't lan dyno it and get like 340ish crank hp?They think Tom needs to upgrade his exhaust.

mikecg
11-20-2006, 12:00 PM
LAN also used a different type of dyno. We ran a drum type by DynoJet. I really dont know which on is more exacted. My stock FWD tranny put down 179HP on the on LAN used. Dyno numbers are kind of tricky. You can get different numbers just by changing the dyno operator.

Chiketkd
11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
To keep everything in one place, here are the resized dyno graphs for Mike's and Tom's best 'recorded' pulls.

Mikecg (9psi):
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/39900.jpg

TomsSVX (12psi):
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/39901.jpg

Nice videos Mike!

Chike :cool:

hexadec0079
11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
wow, you definately need an exhasut, stat.
Looks great though, I mean 300 crank HP is phenominal

mikecg
11-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Hmmm only a 18hp difference between 9lbs with daul exhaust and 12lbs with single. Ya Tom, you defenitly need to look into the exhaust.

Paticularly in the area between the manifolds and the Y-Cat. That is were the largest amount of restriction is. Those pipes are only like 1.5 inch in diameter. Lose the Y-cat and run 2 hi-flow Cats that are larger diameter. If you dont want duals, I'd recommend at least 2.25in off the manifolds, through 2 high flows Y into a 2.5 to 3inch out to the rear. Just beware of resination. I'd definitly put in some kind of resinator no matter what kind of exhaust you run.

longassname
11-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to download the dynojet software and see if I can figure out how to put the plots x axis on rpms and overlay Mike's and Tom's plots but yes even just looking at them as is it's easy to see that Tom's exhaust is restricted.

Mike's peak power is out at 90mph. Tom's is at 75. It looks like back around 60mph he starts having problems clearing the exhaust from the cyllinders. He should see big power gains with a big exhaust upgrade. I would not be suprised if Tom is having belt slip issues because of the compressor having to pump against the exhaust.

Both of them can see big power gains (after TOM upgrades his exhaust) from new cams. With the cam I just spec'd in the cam thread I think they can both get their torque plots into pretty flat lines and their power plots into flat lines following the slope from 60mph and lower.

oab_au
11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
If it is the exhaust that is restricting the engine, you should see a rise in manifold pressure, at the same time. I wonder if he noticed the boost gauge at that time.

Harvey.;)

oab_au
11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Hmmm only a 18hp difference between 9lbs with daul exhaust and 12lbs with single. Ya Tom, you defenitly need to look into the exhaust.

Paticularly in the area between the manifolds and the Y-Cat. That is were the largest amount of restriction is. Those pipes are only like 1.5 inch in diameter. Lose the Y-cat and run 2 hi-flow Cats that are larger diameter. If you dont want duals, I'd recommend at least 2.25in off the manifolds, through 2 high flows Y into a 2.5 to 3inch out to the rear. Just beware of resination. I'd definitly put in some kind of resinator no matter what kind of exhaust you run.

Looking for a pict of Toms exhaust, as it is now? Anywhere?

Harvey.;)

longassname
11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
possibly but not necessarily. All kinds of weird things can happen, all bad. The blower can win out and still clear the cyllinder during overlap at the cost of more power to drive it. The blower could loose the battle without the belt slipping. The blower could loose the battle with belt slip. The blower could win the battle with belt slip. There could be a tie with belt slip. There could be a tie without belt slip. And favorite of all, things can bounce back and forth between any number of those conditions. Manifold pressure can end up higher, lower, unchanged, or all over the place.

oab_au
11-20-2006, 03:26 PM
possibly but not necessarily. All kinds of weird things can happen, all bad. The blower can win out and still clear the cyllinder during overlap at the cost of more power to drive it. The blower could loose the battle without the belt slipping. The blower could loose the battle with belt slip. The blower could win the battle with belt slip. There could be a tie with belt slip. There could be a tie without belt slip. And favorite of all, things can bounce back and forth between any number of those conditions. Manifold pressure can end up higher, lower, unchanged, or all over the place.

Well that clears it up:D :D You been taking confusing lessions from Trevor.:eek:

The boost gauge is a sure way to see what the flow is doing. Need all the feedback you can get, to work out what is happening.

Harvey.:)

oab_au
11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
If somebody can translate the MPH figures to RPM, off what ever the gearing was, it would help to see what is happening where. Guessing is not close enought.:)

Harvey.;)

cdigerlando
11-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Great job guys. Great to see your projects working out well. I had a question regarding some of the plots. Is there any reason why Mike's seems to be running higher A/Fs? Is it due to the lower boost level? It was my understanding that this 12 psi kit was to run AFs as low as 10.5:1. I'm not sure about the 9 psi kit.

Phast SVX
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Great results guys, cant wait to see what Toms car puts out when he gets it sorted. ;)

Well that clears it up:D :D You been taking confusing lessions from Trevor.:eek:

The boost gauge is a sure way to see what the flow is doing. Need all the feedback you can get, to work out what is happening.

Harvey.
There in lies your error. You can have the same pressure ratio at the cost of a lower density ratio, and therefore not just look at the boost pressure but we must also look at temp to come to the conclusion you are trying to reach

TomsSVX
11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
exhaust is comming... I am thinking dumps but I may do a total revamp. Intake is comming too. I am busy getting the garage ready... plus I have all winter to het this figured out

Tom

SVXRide
11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Mike,
Nice videos! It does look like Tom's belt is slipping in the one video, but then again, it could just be the lighting (watch where the the belt goes around the a/c compressor)

Interesting to note that even with the Gruppe N motor mounts that the engine is visibly torquing around...hate to think what would be happening if the stock mounts were in there:eek:

-Bill

TomsSVX
11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
they would rip in half and hit the keepers?

GroupN trans mount too

Tom

SVXRide
11-20-2006, 07:45 PM

GroupN trans mount too

Tom

That's what I was thinking....might be time for a torque strap;)
-Bill

oab_au
11-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Great results guys, cant wait to see what Toms car puts out when he gets it sorted. ;)

Harvey.
There in lies your error. You can have the same pressure ratio at the cost of a lower density ratio, and therefore not just look at the boost pressure but we must also look at temp to come to the conclusion you are trying to reach

Hang on Phil,:) this is a PD blower, don't have the same temps as the turbo. What I would be look at would be a smooth reading that only increased slightly. Any increase in pressure over the normal maximum, shows that the intake, or the exhaust is not passing it.
A sudden rise is usually exhaust gas pressure build up. Intake restriction, builds up more gradually, to a higher bressure.

This is a bit harder to do with a turbo, due to the fast rise in boost. Turbos have there own set of problems.:)

Harvey.;)

longassname
11-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Are you two working your own grumpy old men sequel? ;)

It didn't really seam confusing to me. Let me put it in simpler terms. Because we only have a 6 rib belt and a tiny supercharger pulley instead of boost spikes we can get belt slip. Depending on the degree of slip boost can stay stable, have dips, or have spikes.

Speedklix
11-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Cool stuff, look out STi !!!

GroupN trans mount too

Have any of you seen the redesigned mounts yet? I was draggin my feet on the groupN, and now these start poping up :confused:

TomsSVX
11-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Mike, the boost is staying rock solid at 12.5psi... I hit the gas, the needle rockets up and I take off... If you listen to my run while looking at the engine, you can hear the old hesitation I was speaking of. Anyway I don't think the belt was slipping unless the compressor was seizing... I had just retightened the belt that morning and it has maximum wrap possible... Anyway like I said, exhaust is comming this winter along with my intake

Tom

mikecg
11-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Here's an overlay of mine and Toms. Mine is Red and his is Blue. I also have it displaying in RPMs.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/mikecg/39923.jpg

Edit: Oops, I didnt pull up our best runs.