PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fuse

jen
11-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Hi all, hope you can help. My transmission is "catching" producing a bumpy grabing feeling when turning. The trans shop says the transmission is not damaged yet and when they reset the computer to test, the problem went away. My mechanic says it is a fuse but the SVX reference says the fuse is separate from the normal fuse boxes and is on the right side of the car. We can't find the fuse to replace. 92 SVX

Can someone please tell me where to find the fuse for the transmission?

Earthworm
11-16-2006, 10:50 AM
There is a FWD fuse under the hood. It almost sounds like the AWD is binding. By default the fuse is missing. If you insert the fuse you will force front wheel drive only and if your symptoms go away you've found the problem.

mohrds
11-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Sounds like binding to me.

The fuse is on the Driver's side engine compartment. If you insert a 5A fuse, it will disable the AWD and if the problem goes away, you have a very common problem. I drove around with the fuse in for about 30K before the tranny finally died, but officially, the fuse should only used for diagnostics and not for everyday driving.

Doug

Manarius
11-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Sounds like binding to me.

The fuse is on the Driver's side engine compartment. If you insert a 5A fuse, it will disable the AWD and if the problem goes away, you have a very common problem. I drove around with the fuse in for about 30K before the tranny finally died, but officially, the fuse should only used for diagnostics and not for everyday driving.

DougYou were lucky. Odds are, you have torquebind. Having the FWD fuse in is not a solution, just a way to stop imminent disaster.

jen
11-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Ok, as I understand the previous posts
1. the trans/awd fuse is located in the normal fuse box under the hood. correct?
2. there isn't supposed to be a fuse in the trans/awd place? If there is then it disables AWD?
3. What is the common problem (the computer signaling the grabbing)- how do I fix it, if it is not the missing fuse.

Note the tranny was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago.
Thank for your replys and patience, I'm jsut not sure how to proceed. The car worked fine when the computer was reset - at least on the way home. So how would I fix tourque bind. The tranny people said I needed to fix the underlying electrical problem that was messing up the normal computer function. My mechanic says it appears tobe a fuse problem. What is impending disaster?

mohrds
11-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Ok, as I understand the previous posts
1. the trans/awd fuse is located in the normal fuse box under the hood. correct?
Correct. On the Cover it says "FWD" for that slot. Thinking back, it may be a 10A fuse, not a 5A as I stated earlier

2. there isn't supposed to be a fuse in the trans/awd place? If there is then it disables AWD?
Correct.

3. What is the common problem (the computer signaling the grabbing)- how do I fix it, if it is not the missing fuse.
The famous Solenoid "C" inside the rear of the transmission. When this starts to fail, pressure sneaks through and increases torque to the rear wheels. I believe the only part you need is the valve assembly/transfer clutch, P/N 31942AA090. It may only be a broken wire inside, but as long as you have it apart, replace it. Runs about $90.00.

Here is a good discussion about it:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35657

Here is a great How-To:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showpost.php?p=435872&postcount=23

You will need to drop the exhaust, the driveshaft and the rear third of the transmission to get to the solenoid/transfer valve (all one unit) Its about a three hour job.

Note the tranny was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago.
Still under Warranty? (Fingers Crossed)

Thank for your replys and patience, I'm jsut not sure how to proceed. The car worked fine when the computer was reset - at least on the way home. So how would I fix tourque bind. The tranny people said I needed to fix the underlying electrical problem that was messing up the normal computer function. My mechanic says it appears tobe a fuse problem. Probaby not a fuse problem

What is impending disaster?
It involves a tranny rebuild / replacement :mad:

Manarius
11-16-2006, 02:17 PM
I think it's this: http://legacycentral.org/library/torquebind.htm

Not Solenoid C problems.

svxcess
11-16-2006, 02:26 PM
I think it's this: http://legacycentral.org/library/torquebind.htm

Not Solenoid C problems.

I'd like to see svxfile's opinion of this. He has done more 4.44 tranny swaps and solenoid C replacements than anyone I know of. If anyone is familiar with this, it is Tom. He sure knows his stuff when it comes to binding issues.

jen
11-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Ok, this is getting interesting. My question is with either of the suspected problems, why, when the computer is reprogramed does the problem stop?

I haven't noticed a flashing power light - would this happen if it was one of the cellenoid problems?

nordique14
11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
You can easily check for stored codes. Check out the error code section for the TCU code how-to:
http://svx-iw.com/svxiw/article/?category=trouble

Of course if you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery then there will be no codes to pull until the problem happens again.

Too bad you are in Oakland. I do not know of any good shops in the North Bay. Take a look in the SVX Shop Search. There are some good places in the East Bay and South Bay. Also some places to avoid. Good luck!

-Matt

jen
11-16-2006, 05:10 PM
There wern't any stored codes. putting the fuse in the FWD solved the immediate catching problem. So now, which of the above solutions is the one to do?

Otherwise the car runs great. Please point me to the next step.

I'm in the east bay, Oakland, El Cerrito, etc. I had a great SVX tech at a dealer in New Jersey (there wasalso the scum of the earth dealer). I'd drive to find a good one but NJ is too far.

tierod
11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi This is my first post. I have had some exp with this issue. Its also posible you have a problem with the tranfer clutch disc's wearing into the hub. This causes the disc's and plates to bind when applying. We have also tried a friction modifier (ford posi additive) and in some cases it's helped. After adding modifier, perform about 10 figure eights in a parking lot. If the problem persists
, take a look at your tranfer clutch hub. Hope this helps!