PDA

View Full Version : Loud noise ???

vzSvx
04-12-2002, 08:33 PM
I had a manufacturer rebuilt tranny replacement for my 1992 SVX last month at 113k. They did a great job, but I noticed some kind of noise which is louder than before I had it done. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Vivian

Boone
04-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by vzSvx
I had a manufacturer rebuilt tranny replacement for my 1992 SVX last month at 113k. They did a great job, but I noticed some kind of noise which is louder than before I had it done. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Vivian

Hi Vivian,
Welcome again. I think that you will have to be a little more specific about this noise before anyone can help you. Hope you got a nice warrenty on the tranny. B. ;)

vzSvx
04-13-2002, 03:06 AM
The noise sounds like a loud engine motor or like when I'm inside an airplane. Although I am getting used to it, I do think it is a different noise than before the new tranny was put in. I am just too observant, I guess. I just wonder if this is a common thing to expect when you replace a tranny. If it is harmless, I would not worry about it. I do have a 25K miles warranty on my tranny from the dealer.

Vivian :)

Boone
04-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Being observant is good. You shouldn't be hearing much motor noise. A stock SVX is very quiet. It could be that the dealer didn't reconstruct the exhaust system properly after replacing the tranny and it is leaking. Another common source of noise is a bad wheel bearing but that is more of a droning or roaring that varies with road speed. I would have the dealer check it or perhaps a nearby member will look at it for you. B. ;)

wasions
04-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Question: Does the noise occur anytime the engine is running, or just when it's moving down the road? Is it louder some times than at other times, and can you nail down the difference between those times? (I.E. Is the noise louder on some roads than on others? Is it louder at higher speeds, or lower? Is it more, or less noticeable with the windows down?)

Beav
04-13-2002, 03:16 PM
If there's a noise where there didn't used to be a noise, take it back and have them correct the problem. Chances are it's an exhaust leak, but who knows? Why let it go and possibly turn into something more expensive?

vzSvx
04-14-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by wasions
Question: Does the noise occur anytime the engine is running, or just when it's moving down the road? Is it louder some times than at other times, and can you nail down the difference between those times? (I.E. Is the noise louder on some roads than on others? Is it louder at higher speeds, or lower? Is it more, or less noticeable with the windows down?)

It is very loud anytime the engine is running that I couldn't enjoy my music anymore. It's much worse when I accelerate to 80 miles or more. It's less noisy with the windows down. I drove mostly on the highways today and it was just so disturbing. I think I am going to take it back to the dealer and have it checked. Viv

vzSvx
04-14-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Boone
I would have the dealer check it or perhaps a nearby member will look at it for you. B. ;)

A nearby member? I have not seen anybody else driving an SVX around my area. The last time I saw one was in a parking lot 25 miles away from me. But it would be nice if I know at least one.

Vivian

Boone
04-14-2002, 09:09 AM

A nearby member? I have not seen anybody else driving an SVX around my area. The last time I saw one was in a parking lot 25 miles away from me. But it would be nice if I know at least one.

Vivian

Viv, Remember the "SVX Blues" thread? Seraph (Lwin) is near you and a few others. Maybe they will speak up. Sounds like the dealer should be your first stop though. :D

Seraph
04-14-2002, 10:07 AM

Viv, Remember the "SVX Blues" thread? Seraph (Lwin) is near you and a few others. Maybe they will speak up. Sounds like the dealer should be your first stop though. :D

like I said on the blues thread, I will be more than happy to check it out. I know the boys at the dealership as well

Lwin

vzSvx
04-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Seraph

like I said on the blues thread, I will be more than happy to check it out. I know the boys at the dealership as well

Lwin

Thanks a lot Lwin, I really appreciate it. But I think I will try the dealer first. You may be right as what you mentioned in the blues thread, it could be the bearings. Why does John (Subaru of Schaumburg) ask for too much money just to install it? He also told me I needed to get a $1,000 tune up since it has 115K milage. What do you think? Is it really necessary? I think he saw me coming..."IT'S a GIRL!" :D :p

Vivian

Boone
04-14-2002, 08:49 PM
Hi Vivian,
Get with Lwin. He will get you straight with the dealer. I think you just have a major exhaust leak. Regards ;) Boone

yes.. you are a girl :eek:

wasions
04-14-2002, 08:58 PM
Hi Vivian,
Get with Lwin. He will get you straight with the dealer. I think you just have a major exhaust leak. Regards ;) Boone

yes.. you are a girl :eek:

That'd be my guess too.

Uhhh, yeah. About the exhaust leak thing, I mean. :o

Seraph
04-14-2002, 11:01 PM

Thanks a lot Lwin, I really appreciate it. But I think I will try the dealer first. You may be right as what you mentioned in the blues thread, it could be the bearings. Why does John (Subaru of Schaumburg) ask for too much money just to install it? He also told me I needed to get a $1,000 tune up since it has 115K milage. What do you think? Is it really necessary? I think he saw me coming..."IT'S a GIRL!" :D :p

Vivian

Craig (parts manager knows me well). So does the GM and the girl that works at the front. Oh and Adam, the sales guy told me that they were going to issue an assigned spot for my SVXes. :D John, I personally think, charges too much. It's not just a girl thing. I usually buy parts from Craig and go fix it elsewhere. John is not happy about that though. I personally don't think the $1000 tuneup is needed if the car is running well. On my 92, I asked the boys downstairs and they told me that I should not touch the engine/tranny on that at all if they are working well. So, tune up could turn out to be a tune down and a huge dent in the wallet.

Well, if you need anything, give me a call. I am only about 15-20 minutes away from the dealer. 847.668.4079

Lwin