PDA

View Full Version : 6MT starter stud

dynomatt
11-08-2006, 12:44 AM
I've sent Tom a PM, but until he responds, what do you guys do with the helicoil to fit the starter stud on the 6 speeds?

I've removed the 4EAT stud, but the hole in the 6 speed is a bit bigger, meaning you'd need to pack it out with something to get the stud to bite.

Also, is it easier to do with the 6MT out, or can it be done in the car...the only reason is I'm keen to get it in tonight if I can.

Thanks,
Matt

dynomatt
11-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Sorry guys...this should have been in Mod Mania...my bad.

M

mikecg
11-08-2006, 04:58 AM
I endedup using a bolt I had laying around that fit.

mohrds
11-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Sorry guys...this should have been in Mod Mania...my bad.

M

Ask and Ye shall receive! :D

dynomatt
11-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Mike, a bolt? Did you bolt the starter on before you bolt the gearbox on? That could work I guess...

Speedklix
11-08-2006, 01:12 PM
could you just tack a nut inside?

-edit-
How about reversing a lock washer too?
With the trans installed you can reach in and feed the bolt and washer through the hole, install starter and be able to apply minimum pressure to the threads to steady the bolt as you tighten the nut up.

Or just use a stud installer to steady the bolt while you tighten the nut down. That may be the best way.

mikecg
11-08-2006, 01:18 PM
No, the bolt I used was the correct threads for the hole. The tranny was already in the car when I had an issue, and the starter was already in, being held in by the other side. Assuming I understand what your saying, I had mine come out also. The hole on mine was threaded.

If your taking about something else, sorry I confused you.

Speedklix
11-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I've never removed a 6mt starter, but I always assumed it was just a hole where a bolt went through into the block.
It is already threaded from the factory? If that is the case, then just spend money on the bolt instead of on a weaker (helicoil) solution.

If it is just a hole I’d probably end up cutting some threads and drill out the starter a bit if there is enough steel to it to accommodate a larger diameter bolt/stud.

dynomatt
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
No it's not threaded unfortunately. I my case it appears the starter has two bolts going through to the block, rather than the one and the stud in the SVX.

The hole is also not a perfect cylinder. It is narrower at the starter end and wider at the block end, hence my worry that a helicoil might not have enough to hold. Alternatively, I could drill it out properly and use some sort of reduction thread if that existed.

Failing that, I think a bolt like Mike said might work...the only problem will be if the box doesn't clear things getting installed with the starter already mounted...hmmm.

Fun and games....my debut on the 25th of Nov is looking a worry!!!

Any other ideas?

Matt

TomsSVX
11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Ok, here are your options..

The 10x1.25 helicoil will hold the started just fine.. Ask Gest24, he is using one in his 6mt. Just use the tap they give u in the kit and bam, u got a good thread...

Or you can drill out the starter for a bigger hole and tap the existing hole in the bell housing to take an extremeley large bolt... This is what I did on my car and Mikecg's except he got the right bolt for the threads:o

Tom

wawazat??
11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I had a step-down stud made up for that very reason. 12mmx1.25-30mm and 10mmx1.25-20.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/wawazat%3F%3F/13663.jpg

dynomatt
11-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Did you get that made for you? Did you also have the problem whereby the hole in the box is actually conical...ie bigger at the engine end than the starter...hence I suppose the best thing woudl be to make the hole thing the same size.

I'm wondering if the bolt thing isn't the best option...just leave a note to self that the starter can't be replaced without removing the box.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realise that's not such a good idea.

M

TomsSVX
11-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Like I said, read my posts... it will give u all te answers and solutions u will need.

Tom

dynomatt
11-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks Tom...you must get cranky with us newbies who keep asking dumb questions.

M

TomsSVX
11-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, my point is clear. You do not have a different trans case than th rest of us, so the same method should work. I know the hole is conical but trust me it will work fine

Tom

mohrds
11-09-2006, 09:45 AM
I had a step-down stud made up for that very reason. 12mmx1.25-30mm and 10mmx1.25-20.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/wawazat%3F%3F/13663.jpg

Now that's creative! I drilled the starter, tapped the block and installed a stud.