PDA

View Full Version : Removed the dust plates on front disk

Dessertrunner
11-03-2006, 01:54 AM
I have removed the front inside dust plates to try and improve the cooling to the front disk and so far the braking is a 1,000 times better. Tomorrow I will take the car into the mountains and see if I can heat them up on the way down. Last year the pads got so hot there was smoke coming from the front and back disk and they fadded to the point I though we were in trouble. We let you all know how I go this time, if it works it is a real cheap improvement to the breaks.
Tony

Dessertrunner
11-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Okay guys I got down the mountain and I floged the brakes to try and get them to heat up but just couldn't. Last time they were nearly on fire this time they never missed a beat. When I got to the botton they were still as firm as what they were at the top.
If you think about it SVX are known for warping disks wel that could be caused by one side getting no colling and the other to much.
How about one of you other guys giving this a try as well.
Tony

michael
11-04-2006, 12:52 PM
I'll try it, but I would like to hear the benifits of having them on. Is there a downside to removing them?

Dessertrunner
11-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Michael I was told that Subaru would not have put them on if it wasn't for a reason so I delayed trying it for a long time till I got frustrated with bad breaks. My car is driven on dirt and rocky roads all the time and I have no problem. The main thing that changed my mind was that a lot of high performace cars DON"T have them. Go for it.

sicksubie
11-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Do the dust shields protect in any way the inside of the wheel bearings? It's too cold for me to walk to the garage to look.

dynomatt
11-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Nope...that's what the bearing seals do.

Matt

(another shield removing convert)

Bxsvx
11-04-2006, 05:45 PM
arent the front discs shields also a water shield? so if you fly through a puddle wouldnt there be a problem? I was thinking of removing mine,because they make so much damn noise, but I dont want the brakes to fail when its raining!:eek:

oab_au
11-04-2006, 05:48 PM
I believe that the shields are to prevent stones from lodging between the disc and caliper. I am sure you can do with out them.

Harvey.;)

oab_au
11-04-2006, 06:07 PM
arent the front discs shields also a water shield? so if you fly through a puddle wouldnt there be a problem? I was thinking of removing mine,because they make so much damn noise, but I dont want the brakes to fail when its raining!:eek:

Disc brakes are immune to water. It is one of the advantages of the design.. So it won't worry them.

Harvey.;)

It's Just Eric
11-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Disc brakes are immune to water. It is one of the advantages of the design.. So it won't worry them.
Yeah, I even went a step ahead and coated my disks in teflon. now they are super waterproof!!
...kidding...

michael
11-04-2006, 07:36 PM

Harvey.;)

I'm not so sure of that, when I get out of the car wash I don't have brakes for a second or two.

NikFu S.
11-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm not so sure of that, when I get out of the car wash I don't have brakes for a second or two.
Same here, but rain isn't like water jets aiming directly at your wheels.

I've ran through deep puddles and it doesn't have the same effect as a car wash.

oab_au
11-05-2006, 03:31 PM

You don't see too many bike discs, with sheilds on them.:) On a bike in the wet, you need to allow for the slight delay in breaking, till the water is swept off the disc.:eek:

Harvey.;)

svxfiles
11-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Go for it.
Thanks Tony!
Now I can drop another 1/2# off of the Claret!;)

Don't tell DI.:eek:

demonsvx
11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Hell just drill a bunch of holes in it:D

Budfreak
11-06-2006, 10:59 PM
One of mine was really rusted and has been off for months with no problem, So tomorrow I guess I'll take the other one off too.:rolleyes: I like the drill holes idea, I might do that when I come across a good set of dust shields.;)

Dessertrunner
11-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Drilling holes won't allow air flow past the disk in the quantity that you need to do the job. Just take them off its better.
Tony