PDA

View Full Version : Brembos... Finally doing the test

TomsSVX
10-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Well I guess I am gonna be that guy... I know Tom's BB kit is a great idea but we are still stuck with our stock calipers... which may be shot after 15yrs of use... Instead of buy a set of rebuilt stock calipers and all that nonsense I have made the decision to make the leap. I am bidding on a set of front calipers, rotors, pads and lines for an 05 Sti... The Gold brembos found on the stock STi. Nothing that special but this is more or less a trial run to see if they will fit... If they do, this opens up a very large aftermarket for front brakes... I know we have discussed that the SVX braking system is good enough but I want to get rid of my old calipers. So in finishing, I am gonna see what we can do... If they don't fit, I toss em back on Ebay and take a loss, it will be worth it

Tom

sicksubie
10-25-2006, 10:42 PM
If you need anything fabricated for this send me a sketch

TomsSVX
10-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Well like I said, I am bidding on them now so I haven't won them yet. I have been waiting to find a set of fronts for a while and finally found them alone. I just hope they come with pads, even if they don't they are not too much. I will let u know, if they are not a direct bolt up, I am going to sell them and not even bother with the brackets

Tom

hexadec0079
10-25-2006, 11:44 PM
if you do get them and sell some sort of kit or very nice write up, I know I would be willing to paypal you a few dollars to offset the cost. Guys, come on, we can help him out, right?

TomsSVX
10-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Well how about this... Since I cannot get in touch with anyone who wants to take the money for the network fundraiser I had going, why not buy some SVX manual CD's from me as a brembo fundraiser??haha

Tom

TomsSVX
10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
well 1 day left in the auction... Heres to hoping I get em

Tom

gest24
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey Tom, what measurements would we need to see if they work? I talked to Troy at Group 5 Motorsports. He told me he couldn't let me pull the brakes off and try them on mine but I'm more than welcome to take measuments/pictures.

TomsSVX
10-26-2006, 08:22 PM
pull your brakes and try and mount em on the STi...

Tom

curly2k3
10-27-2006, 06:18 AM
good luck tom, hope you can score them, and i hope they work!

Bwana
10-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I've been waiting for my friend with an 05 STi to get a BBK so I could attempt this for free....guess you beat me to it. :p

Tim
10-27-2006, 03:09 PM
I'll trade you my 97 grille :p

TomsSVX
10-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, sorry to say it but I have been outbid. I unfortunately cannot blow more than $750 on a set of front brakes that "might" work right now. That was my limit and someone else beat it. If it was a shill I may get a second chance offer but I will only give em 650 for em because that is a dick maneuver... Anyway, I have already contacted someone else about maybe buying a set from him so we will see. This is not a dead topic

Tom

drivemusicnow
10-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Tom, Do you know the master cylinder size on the STi's?

I'm not sure spending the money on the STi calipers is worth it when for a similar amount (probably 300$ more) you could have Todd at TCE custom make the adapter, fit HUGE rotors and some wilwoods. He is a great guy, and is almost always willing to work with you to figure out custom adapters/rotor offsets etc.

TomsSVX
10-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Well more or less it was a shot in the dark. I wanted to see if they would work so the question would be answered... I am looking to upgrade the fronts on the silver... Can u get a quote for the whole system??

Tom

TomsSVX
10-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok found another set. They are for a 5x100 lug pattern though so I guess I will have to have them drilled out to 5x114... Anyway $800 for front and rears with rotors... I should be getting them fairly soon...

Tom

Bxsvx
10-28-2006, 08:28 PM
k staff has em maybe someone who has connects with them can get a set or so? http://www.k-staff.net/SVX-rifre/parts.htm

TomsSVX
10-28-2006, 08:46 PM
I will stick to my guy... Kstaff wants over 2k for just the calipers:eek: :eek: :eek: Not to mention another 1500 for the rotors:eek: :eek: Unless my currency calculator is not working right

Tom

Speedklix
10-28-2006, 10:50 PM
I will stick to my guy... Kstaff wants over 2k for just the calipers:eek: :eek: :eek: Not to mention another 1500 for the rotors:eek: :eek: Unless my currency calculator is not working right

Tom
Go for it tom. I don't know if you ever saw me mention it, but there is an Impreza upgrade that actually uses our rotors redrilled. Food for thought. Check the dimensions.

TomsSVX
10-28-2006, 11:28 PM
did some searching on Nasioc and found some info about how they were able to mount the 300zx calipers onto the imprezza chasis.. This makes me confident that I will be able to find a way to make the Brembos work... I can make adapter brackets as long as they are not too intriquate(sp?:rolleyes: )

Tom

TomsSVX
10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Ok, well while I am at the Junkyard on Friday I will be getting what I need to begin testing different brakes.. I am going to pull a front hub from an SVX and rear hub. I also want to try and find a 300zx to see if their 4pot calipers would be comatable with our cars... With a hub off the car I have the ability to test fit and take more accurate measurements of the calipers and rotors... Just wish me luck that I can find the parts I need

Tom

NeedForSpeed
10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Okay, good luck! Make some dreams come true.

Ok, well while I am at the Junkyard on Friday I will be getting what I need to begin testing different brakes.. I am going to pull a front hub from an SVX and rear hub. I also want to try and find a 300zx to see if their 4pot calipers would be comatable with our cars... With a hub off the car I have the ability to test fit and take more accurate measurements of the calipers and rotors... Just wish me luck that I can find the parts I need

Tom

NikFu S.
10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Luck @ U.

:D

dynomatt
10-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Tom,

I've got a set of 300zx turbo calipers. These suit the 280mm diameter 30mm thick rotors.

They will not bolt on. I believe they can be adapted, with the use of an adaptor.

I still maintain, using the Subaru calipers, either 4 piston standard, or Brembo's is a better start...they at least bolt on, and then all you have to worry about is finding a suitable rotor.

The offer is there to bolt a set of 4 pots onto the SVX hub to give you an idea of disc diameter required?

Matt

RSVX
10-31-2006, 05:51 PM
They will not bolt on. I believe they can be adapted, with the use of an adaptor.

Feeling a little redundant are we?

dynomatt
10-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Round circles...

:)

NikFu S.
10-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Feeling a little redundant are we?
Haha, you know they can be adapted
without an adapter, right?

/ot

drivemusicnow
10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I talked to Todd today. We've come up with a few ideas, however a bunch more information is needed before he can even guess a price.

Option 1: adapting the WRX kit to work on the SVX. I need to know if the steering knuckle and hub are similar/the same between the two cars

Option 2: go from scratch, this can allow us some larger rotors an calipers, at a higher cost.

What I need to know:

How big do we want to go? Diameter, thickness, and swept area?
How much do we want to pay? we can put together kits from possibly as low as 1000$ (not much upgrade) to something like Dayles kit (2500$)

How similar is the SVX front brake setup compared to the WRXs? Are the steering spindles the same/similar?

Obviously using larger calipers/rotors will affect allowable wheels sizes. Todd says he can possibly make a stock wheel kit that uses a larger caliper and thicker rotor, but will fit under a 16 inch wheel. (if there is demand)

Get back to me with opinions on what you would personally want, pay for, like, etc.

dynomatt
10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Option 1 - steering knuckles and hubs are "similar" but annoyingly different. You will struggle getting a WRX knuckle on the SVX for 2 reasons (not insurmountable), a) the ball joint on a ARX is larger, so the WRX knuckle would need a sleeve of some sort to adapt to the SVX ball joint, and the ball joints are not swappable. b) strut spacing, the SVX strut has 30mm spacing, the WRX has 25mm, so the WRX knuckle would require spacers on either side, or alternatively, use WRX complete corners.

As said above, the WRX 4 piston calipers bolt on fine. I can measure them tonight to tell you what size disc rotor you need. That's a bolt on solution if you can find a disc.

Option 2 - anything is possible.

TomsSVX
10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
im looking for something allong the lines of 30mm thickness with 300+mm diameter. The STi brembos would be a suitable replacement as I am not looking to drastically chnage my brakes, just looking to upgrade if I am replacing the calipers anyway...

Tom

oab_au
10-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Option 1 - steering knuckles and hubs are "similar" but annoyingly different. You will struggle getting a WRX knuckle on the SVX for 2 reasons (not insurmountable), a) the ball joint on a ARX is larger, so the WRX knuckle would need a sleeve of some sort to adapt to the SVX ball joint, and the ball joints are not swappable. b) strut spacing, the SVX strut has 30mm spacing, the WRX has 25mm, so the WRX knuckle would require spacers on either side, or alternatively, use WRX complete corners.

As said above, the WRX 4 piston calipers bolt on fine. I can measure them tonight to tell you what size disc rotor you need. That's a bolt on solution if you can find a disc.

Option 2 - anything is possible.

That would be good if you would measure the size of the disc that would fit the WRX calipers on our hubs. Then we will know what to look for in a disc.:)

Harvey.;)

dynomatt
10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Sure Harvey...for you, anything!! :D

You'll have it tonight.

Matt

TomsSVX
10-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah, measurements of the disc needed would be great..You are saying that wrx Red 4pots bolt right onto our hub??

Tom

dynomatt
10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
I'll take some photos tonight.

I don't have the red 4 pots, I've got the black one. My research tells me there's only one caliper in a 4 pot that Subaru's released before the Brembo's.

Do you have other info to suggest they might be different?

TomsSVX
10-31-2006, 10:05 PM
no but I keep forgetting that AUS models are different from USDM models... Do me a favor and take some pics so I can just look at it. then i can ask for specific measurements

Tom

dynomatt
10-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Sure thing Tom...they'll be on here tonight.

Matt

TomsSVX
10-31-2006, 10:11 PM
awsome thanks Matt

Tom

TomsSVX
10-31-2006, 10:39 PM
How much would it cost to send the 300zx and the 4pots my way?? Maybe we could exchange some parts... Maybe a 6mt X-member and shift linkage all ready to go into the SVX??

Tom

dynomatt
11-01-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm using the 300zx ones on my car.

The 4 pots here go for around $650AUD. What's that worth in your money? I reckon it might be cheaper to get them there...weren't they only $50USD or so? We get a bit ripped off over here.

dynomatt
11-01-2006, 12:34 AM
So I've bolted them up and measured. Photos attached FWIW.

Based on my measurements, you'll need a disc of about 24mm thickness and 317mm diameter. With a height of about 58-60mm.

The SVX rotors are not big enough. They are too thick which means they won't work at all.

Scanning the DBA catalog, discs could be a problem. I suspect you might need to get custom ones made using the 2 piece setups you can get...that's big dollars.

NeedForSpeed
11-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Nice work!, too bad the wrx caliper doesn't seem to be a low budget option.

What do the turbo 300 calipers look like? Can you take a pic for us?

Based on my measurements, you'll need a disc of about 24mm thickness and 317mm diameter. With a height of about 58-60mm.

The SVX rotors are not big enough. They are too thick which means they won't work at all.

Scanning the DBA catalog, discs could be a problem. I suspect you might need to get custom ones made using the 2 piece setups you can get...that's big dollars.

NeedForSpeed
11-01-2006, 01:47 AM
The AU wrx rotors are 24mm thick? Are the new 4-pot wrxes for sale in the US using rotors 24mm thick?

dynomatt
11-01-2006, 02:25 AM
New Brembo WRX's seem to be 30mm (the 05-06) with the 114.3 PCD. These seem the most likely as with the Brembo calipers (being already 30mm thick) and the 114.3PCD, they should go close to bolting on.

Tom will tell...or time will tell.

Matt

dynomatt
11-01-2006, 03:44 AM
Heres pictures of the calipers.

Sorry for the quality

dynomatt
11-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Photos are **** aren't they...I'll wait till it's light and maybe try again if people want.

Not sure if I pointed out...Subaru calipers about 6.5kg each...Nissan calipers about 2.5kg. 14lbs to 5.5lbs each

Matt

Speedklix
11-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Not sure if I pointed out...Subaru calipers about 6.5kg each...Nissan calipers about 2.5kg. 14lbs to 5.5lbs each

Wow, looking at em side by side you would think it was the other way around.
So the 4pots bolt onto our hubs huh? Thats great. You could always have a rotor made :eek:

drivemusicnow
11-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Talked to Todd again and I have a list of some information He is looking for. We're going to start with pricing a 13 inch diameter, 1.1 inch thick rotor, using the 4 pot Wilwood FSL Caliper. an INITIAL guess would be for the rotors, pads, lines, calipers, and adapters we would be in the 1300-1400 range for the front. This could easily be upgraded to 6 pot calipers, or thicker rotors at an additional cost obviously. We're thinking we should have a fair amount of flexibility once we get all the dimensions set up.

Here is the information Todd needs, while you guys have your brakes all apart.

Front rotor dimensions- OD and width.
Front rotor hub bore
Front rotor stud circle and size
Front caliper piston diameter(s)
Stock hat offset (or a rotor to work from which I'll inquire about today)

Master cylinder bore

Rear rotor OD and width
Rear piston diameter

Another option would be that if there is anyone around the Phoenix area that is interested, and could help out by dropping their car off at Todd's shop, he could get the ball rolling on this a bit faster. The rear kit all depends on how the e-brake is set up, and if how it is similar to the WRX/DSM.

TomsSVX
11-01-2006, 09:44 AM
awsome news... With a little lateral movement at most, I think the Sti Brembos will works perfectly.. I will call my contact today and place m order

Tom

NeedForSpeed
11-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Matt,

The Nissan calipers are aluminum and the Subaru calipers are cast iron?

If NISSAN is machined off, those lighter calipers might go unnoticed in stock auto-x.

What did Nissan use for rear calipers and how do those compare?

Photos are **** aren't they...I'll wait till it's light and maybe try again if people want.

Matt

dynomatt
11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Need for speed(forgot your real name sorry)...yeah Nissan are alloy and subaru iron...heaps of weight difference, and for me, worth exploring to save the 8kg.

If you read NASIOC (and I'm the first to not just believe everything I read on the net), the Nissan can't be ground off...not sure why not.

Matt

NeedForSpeed
11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
The point made was that NISSAN can't be 'scrapped' off.
Can easily be machined off.

Need for speed(forgot your real name sorry)...yeah Nissan are alloy and subaru iron...heaps of weight difference, and for me, worth exploring to save the 8kg.

If you read NASIOC (and I'm the first to not just believe everything I read on the net), the Nissan can't be ground off...not sure why not.

Matt

TomsSVX
11-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Since the calipers are already prone to flexing, I would be cautious in any attempt to remove material from them. that is the only issue with the Z-calipers. I have been doing a alot of reading on these calipers as well as the Subaru ones... Good choice but I recomend getting a bigger disc than the stock 300zxturbo... My brother had them on his z32 and they were not really all that good. I would say the suby 2 pots on the front of the SVX performed better along the lines of brake fade... Big rotors with the z32 4pots and you got a decent cost efficient, lightweight, BBk

Tom

dynomatt
11-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Tom...yep good suggestion for you guys...for me, a 15" wheel does most of the dictating.

To be honest though, most rally cars, with under 300mm diameter disc, rarely, if ever, have fade. I'd put fade more down to pad quality than rotor size.

Matt

NeedForSpeed
11-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi Tom,

I've read about the Nissan calipers also. The Nissan caliper has no ridges or ribs associated with the lettering to strengthen or prevent flex. I doubt that removing the letters would have any effect on flex. If I remember, the guy that installed the Nissan fronts used Celica All Trac rotors, not turbo zx.

Have you found any replacement factory production rotors, larger than 13", that could be adapted for use with 18 or 19" wheels?

What size are the Tribeca front and rear rotors?

Since the calipers are already prone to flexing, I would be cautious in any attempt to remove material from them. that is the only issue with the Z-calipers. I have been doing a alot of reading on these calipers as well as the Subaru ones... Good choice but I recomend getting a bigger disc than the stock 300zxturbo... My brother had them on his z32 and they were not really all that good. I would say the suby 2 pots on the front of the SVX performed better along the lines of brake fade... Big rotors with the z32 4pots and you got a decent cost efficient, lightweight, BBk

Tom

SilverSpear
11-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Ok, here are the dimensions of all rotors from all manufacturers... hope it can help out in any way:

http://www.dba.com.au/dba_catalogue_2004/HTML/pdf/2006_1c_251006V2.pdf

TomsSVX
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
perfect Danny... I have been looking for something like that... It will help come next week

Tom

NeedForSpeed
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
What he said.

That is the reference Matt was using.

perfect Danny... I have been looking for something like that... It will help come next week

Tom

drivemusicnow
11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Soo I have some good news.

I talked to Todd again today and things look promising at making the wilwood kit.

The one thing we really need to know is the radius of the mounting tab holes to the center of the hub. If this is different, a custom bracket would need to be made (either for the STi brembos, or the wilwood kit) If anyone has a drawing, or could take measurements of this value I would appreciate it.

For prices, IF the bolt holes are the same distance away from the hub, we would be looking at ~$1400 for a 6 pot setup with a 1.25 inch thick 13 inch rotor. (these would be the BSL-6N calipers) you could also "downgrade" to the FSL-4 (forged super light 4 pot calipers) This is a rough estimate, and this is assuming that clearances are how we expect. If there is anyone in pheonix who has some extra time, Todd would love to be able to take some measurements on the car just to ensure there are not clearance issues.

The rears also look promising as the E-brake setup is the same as the WRX. Again a rough estimate, however doing a rear 11 inch setup with 4 pot rear calipers could be done for about 800$

People. this is $2200 total for all 4!! this would include adapters, lines, rotors, pads, calipers etc. Not only that but it would open a BUNCH of other pad and rotor choices, as the SVX has a rather limited number of pad manufacturers. I can't believe how cheap this is turning out for the amount of stopping power. This is about the same cost as fitting STi brakes, and would offere significantly better performance, as well as being custom adapted to our M/C size.

Again if anyone could take those measurements on the SVX, or if anyone in the pheonix area would like to help out... we should be able to get this kit together pretty quickly.

TomsSVX
11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Sti fronts can be had for cheap if you look in the right place. A full front can be had for less than $800 and I can actually get fronts and rears with rotors that may or may not fit for $800 plus shipping... So another $600 for just fronts is not making it for me. Plus, if the fronts are merely a direct bolt up which is what I am leanin toward... ANY STi BBK will work, which would make no sense for him to make a custom kit... Let me see what I can find with my measurements... Then we can work from there

Tom

dynomatt
11-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm with you Tom...WRX 4 pots ARE bolt on, STi' Brembo's PROBABLY bolt on...they've got to be the path of least resistance.

Tom, are you saying WRX 4 pots (not Brembos) are $600USD a pair in the US?

Did I mention elsewhere that the WRX 2 piston rears DO NOT bolt on...

Tribeca is a good question...are they 5x100PCD or 5x114.3? Given they are virtually a Legacy platform (I think aren't they?) they would quite likely be 5x100.

M

TomsSVX
11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Ok... here is the rundown...

The wrx4 pots here are red ones from the 06... They get pricey

The Brembo can usually be had for around $700-800 for the fronts

Fortunately I made good with the guy who sold me my 6mt in Canada and he owes me a favor. I will be getting a set of Front and Rear brembo calipers and rotors for $800 Now they are the 5x100 bolt pattern so I will drill out the ones he sends me for a test fitment... IF they fit well I will go and buy new rotors with the 5x114.3 bolt pattern along with new pads... The rears are not a huge concern as I can adapt the rears to work simply enough by using the dust sheilds from an STi redrilled to our hub pattern. Our parking brake assembly is similar to theirs from what I have come to understand. SO in short, I will be picking up a set of front and rears in the near future and I will be making them work. If the front rotors are not the correct dimension I will find ones from that chart that will work or I will have custom ones made... I am under the impression that they will and I am waiting to get SVX measurements back from Gest24 so I can compare specs from the SVX and from the Sti... So I think we may have a winner here.

I am also concerned about the mastercylinder's ability with the new calipers so I can always grab an Sti master and be able to use it like Bob's your uncle;) I also want to get my hands on an Sti Brake booster as While they have the same dimensions I have a feeling they work much better than the SVX one. I installed one into Shotgunslade's car and his brakes feel amazing. Thats all I know right now. I will be pulling hubs of a parts SVX tomorrow so I can mock the calipers and rotors right here in my apartment. Once I know what will/will not work. I can tell everyone more

Tom

dynomatt
11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
The DBA catalogue that Danny posted is a wealth of disc information, there's just not an easy way to search it.

Are you saying the Brembo's were on the STi's before they changed to the 5x114.3 PCD? So in an 04 model or something?

Reading the DBA now,02-04's came with Brembo's, but had a 25mm thick disc. The 05-06's have a 30mm disc.

Hmmm...if your'e getting the early Brembo's, the SVX disc will be too small in diameter and too thick in thickness.

If you have the chance, the later ones would be better, because there's a much wider selection of 30mm disc rotors in that diameter...25mm thick is a bit thin.

Matt

TomsSVX
11-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I didn't catch that.. I believe the ones I am getting are from a JDM car so I need to look a little closer

Tom

dynomatt
11-02-2006, 04:12 PM
http://www.dba.com.au/dba_catalogue_2004/HTML/AUST2006_PDF/2006_AUSTCatalogue_261006.pdf

Page 111 has the WRX stuff.

M

NeedForSpeed
11-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Looks like a misprint on the 02-04 sti.

The original thickness is listed at 25, minimum at 30? Matt, can you send an email and ask for corrected info? More info on the height of Tribeca rotors? What is the height of f/r svx rotors?

If the wrx two pots don't bolt up, does that mean that the rear Brembo won't bolt up?

I didn't catch that.. I believe the ones I am getting are from a JDM car so I need to look a little closer

Tom

dynomatt
11-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Another interesting resource.

Brembo site (http://www.brembo.com/CatalogoBrembo/Templates/SearchGray.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fENG%2fAfterMarketBrakes%2fBrembo% 2bCatalogues%2fSearchCars%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7b17D7BCC8-5414-40CA-9D35-30F3CABF4BA3%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest)

Seems you can search by dimension

I haven't tried for your situation yet.

Matt

hexadec0079
11-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm with you Tom...WRX 4 pots ARE bolt on, STi' Brembo's PROBABLY bolt on...they've got to be the path of least resistance.

Tom, are you saying WRX 4 pots (not Brembos) are $600USD a pair in the US?

Did I mention elsewhere that the WRX 2 piston rears DO NOT bolt on...

Tribeca is a good question...are they 5x100PCD or 5x114.3? Given they are virtually a Legacy platform (I think aren't they?) they would quite likely be 5x100.

M

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

WRX 4-Pots DO indeed bolt up????? insane

Also- for $600-800 i could go for the light 4 piston fronts if it includes EVERYTHING, I mean: calipers, pads, the whole 9 yards

Hope all the wheels are moving in the right directions.......

SilverSpear
11-03-2006, 12:01 AM

Tom

The SVX is mentioned in the Australian Catalogue:

http://www.dba.com.au/dba_catalogue_2004/HTML/AUST2006_PDF/2006_AUSTCatalogue_261006.pdf

Edited: Already posted by Matt

mikecg
11-03-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm going to try to get together with a few guy's from NASIOC this weekend in Delaware. There having an install meet. They said if theres time they'd let me steal a rotor and caliber from an STi for a test fit. Here's to the hope that I have the time to spare this weekend.

TomsSVX
11-03-2006, 02:45 PM
DOIT!!!

Tom

BAC5.2
11-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Not sure if it's been verified yet, but 04 Brembo's are 30mm wide, not 25.

Dia = 326mm, thick = 30mm, min thick = 28mm. The 04's have a 58mm hub.

I've got 3 04's and 2 05's sitting right in front of me that I looked on. All have the same width rotor.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to clear up confusion.

wawazat??
11-04-2006, 07:26 AM
WRX 4 pots are a bolt on but they require a different rotor as the "hat" height to use that caliper is different than ours. The Stoptech WRX kit caliper also bolts on using their brackets however it pushes the caliper out too far from the hub to use even their larger diameter two piece rotor (which is dual drilled, 5x100 and 5x114.3).

The Tribeca uses 5x115.3 BCP.

Todd

NeedForSpeed
11-04-2006, 11:26 AM
When bolted on the svx, do the WRX 4-pots clear the factory aluminum wheel?

What 'hat height' is needed to use the 4 pot on the SVX?

WRX 4 pots are a bolt on but they require a different rotor as the "hat" height to use that caliper is different than ours. The Stoptech WRX kit caliper also bolts on using their brackets however it pushes the caliper out too far from the hub to use even their larger diameter two piece rotor (which is dual drilled, 5x100 and 5x114.3).

The Tribeca uses 5x115.3 BCP.

Todd

NeedForSpeed
11-04-2006, 11:32 AM
The dba.com.au catalog lists the sti hat at 53mm?

Not sure if it's been verified yet, but 04 Brembo's are 30mm wide, not 25.

Dia = 326mm, thick = 30mm, min thick = 28mm. The 04's have a 58mm hub.

I've got 3 04's and 2 05's sitting right in front of me that I looked on. All have the same width rotor.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to clear up confusion.

mikecg
11-04-2006, 12:04 PM
I didnt have time to figure out anything definit, but I compared the bolt points and tried to but the STI caliber over our rotor. It looks possible with the STi rotor. I needed about a extra 1.4 inch to fit the Caliber past our rotor. The bolt holes do line up perfectly though. There was a rush to move the car around and the rotors were stock on both my car and the STi, so I wasnt able to try to fit everything up. But eye balling it it look like it could be done it little to know modds. The only thing I forgot to look at was if the stock dust shield on our car could be a problem. I'll keep a lookout for another chance to do a better fit test.

dynomatt
11-04-2006, 04:29 PM
The dust shield will be a problem because it's made for a specific rotor diameter.

BAC5.2
11-04-2006, 04:30 PM
The technical documents I have from Stoptech show 58mm. I can check the FSM on Monday to be sure (or hell, I'll just measure a Brembo rotor) on Monday.

Phil

The dba.com.au catalog lists the sti hat at 53mm?

TomsSVX
11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
mike, which way do you need an extra 1.5inches of clearance.. I am not sure what you mean by this... Also, thank you for confirming that they bolt up... I have to wait until my guy gets back from vacation to know more about the brakes I want to buy

Tom

NeedForSpeed
11-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks, I was in the Inter Catalog.

The SVX is mentioned in the Australian Catalogue:

Edited: Already posted by Matt

NeedForSpeed
11-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Matt,

thanks for all your help on this. One more question, will the stock svx wheel clear the 4-pots bolted on the svx hub?

dynomatt
11-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Haven't tried Ron.

Tonight's my last chance as the calipers are sold. And I'm all clean now after trying to get my transmission out (and finding that the transmission cross member was broken!

Matt

dynomatt
11-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Nope...they do not fit with the standard wheels. They might with a spacer, but then you'd need longer studs blah blah.

17" wheels have heaps of clearance (at least the Nissan ones I have).

Matt

mikecg
11-06-2006, 05:31 AM
mike, which way do you need an extra 1.5inches of clearance.. I am not sure what you mean by this... Also, thank you for confirming that they bolt up... I have to wait until my guy gets back from vacation to know more about the brakes I want to buy

Tom

Sorry ment 1/4 inch (quarter). The clearence between my stock rotor and the bolt point was to tight. The STi calibers bolt on the opposite side from the SVX calibers. Hmmmm maybe I'll try again soon.

TomsSVX
11-06-2006, 08:07 AM
I am sorry Mike but I am still not following you... What do you mean by bolt point??

Tom

mikecg
11-06-2006, 10:28 AM
The 2 large bolts that hold the caliber to the car. It would probubly easier to exsplain in person.

TomsSVX
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Ok, I guess we can talk on the 16th. I still havent heard from Eric as he is on vacation in Cancun... I should hear from him when he gets back

Tom

dynomatt
11-06-2006, 07:27 PM
So who wants to pay me for an Excel sortable DBA catalogue?

Sort by thickness, height, diameter etc...

http://www.v-eight.com/multimedia/xls/DBA_Catalogue.xls

drivemusicnow
11-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Tom, the problem is that the radius between the hub and the caliper mounting points is different on the SVX and STi. This means that you will have to run custom adapters. The Rotor hat heights are also different, meaning you need to run different rotors. SO: either find rotors that work (very possible) or get custom 2 piece rotors with whatever hat height you want, Get/make adapters (do NOT make too weak) plus calipers, hopefully the lines are the same but the probably aren't etc.

I've been through the above on a couple other cars, This is why I jumped to the TCE/Wilwood solution first. I think the fronts can be done for about 1250 for a 4pot, and about 1400 for a 6pot caliper. Wheel clearance may be an issue, however that could be worked out by Todd if we can get him the information we need.

I'm not doing either, but I'm trying to facilitate the option if, in the future, I feel the need to upgrade the brakes.

TomsSVX
11-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Greg... Thank you for your efforts but I am kinda set in my ways in being a stuborn a$$. Are you sure the radius of the hub-caliper bolt holes are different? Even if the hat heights are different the offset of the calipers are different I am sure. So as it stands I am still waiting... I mean I can make all 4 work for less than 1k I am go for that deal rather than spend 1.4k on just fronts. Makes sense to me even if the brembos are inferior to the Wilwwods which I am sure they are

Tom

dynomatt
11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Tom, I don't reckon the Brembo's are inferior to Wilwoods...

I'm not sure what Greg is talking about either. The 4 pot STI calipers bolt on to an SVX...reading NASIOC, the Brembo's bolt onto the front of the STi's...hence, how are they bolt radius' different? The Brembo's 'should' bolt on...

TomsSVX
11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
He is talking about the distance from the center of the hub not the distance between the bolts themselves... So if the SVX mounting holes are closer to the center of the hub, we would need a smaller Diameter rotor or a bracket that holds the caliper further off the hub. I will be able to answer all these questions once I have an STi rotor and caliper in my possesion... I already have the front hub off the car so I can mount it

Tom

TomsSVX
11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Tom, I don't reckon the Brembo's are inferior to Wilwoods...

I'm not sure what Greg is talking about either. The 4 pot STI calipers bolt on to an SVX...reading NASIOC, the Brembo's bolt onto the front of the STi's...hence, how are they bolt radius' different? The Brembo's 'should' bolt on...

And yes, the Wilwoods are much better calipers as the Brembos on the Sti are not the greatest in the world

Tom

dynomatt
11-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry.

In my post, I made mention of the fact that the SVX caliper mounts sit further out than the WRX. Hence, where the STi 4 pots on a WRX have a 295mm disc, the same calipers on an SVX require about 320mm.

If you go to the Brembo's, (which on an STi require a 320mm disc), by the same logic, you'll be needing something like about 345mm disc.

That's one big disc. :D

Matt

TomsSVX
11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Well maybe the Brembos are made for our hubs... Maybe I will be able to get a HUGE rotor to fill my 18's... who knows;)

Tom

TomsSVX
11-16-2006, 04:27 PM
finally got a chance to fit up the Brembos today... Once again, not fully but good enough for me to be confident... I fully believe now that the STi brakes are a direct bolt up to our hub. I will go ahead and complete my order for the brakes and I will order a new set of rotors with the 5x114.3 lug pattern to fit em up... good news for all of us;)

Tom

dynomatt
11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
So bolt holes line up...that's great news, and as I had hoped.

Good luck with the more formal test.

Matt

TomsSVX
11-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I compared diameter and offset of the rotors as well. This is why I am confident that with the 5x114.3 rotor they will bolt on directly with no spacers or special brackets

Tom

dynomatt
11-16-2006, 06:43 PM
so you got the set off the earlier STi I guess? The newer one has the 114.3 PCD, so yours are the 5x100? you could just get them redrilled to suit.

Matt

TomsSVX
11-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I just tried an STi caliper at the dyno since the operator was nice enough to let me borrow one of his old ones. It was his rotor. I will be getting just calipers from my source and new rotors for the 05+

Tom

sicksubie
11-17-2006, 04:45 PM
So... to clarify everything. The calipers were from what year STi? And were they USDM calipers? The rotors that you are getting are from an 05+ STi?

TomsSVX
11-17-2006, 08:02 PM
from an 04 USDM Sti. I am getting calipers from a JDM sti ver8 dunno what year... The calipers are the same between the JDM and USDM cars from what I understand but I am still waiting on rotor thickness confirmation

Tom

mikecg
11-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Now your only consern will be rim clearance over the caliber.;)

sicksubie
11-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Now your only consern will be rim clearance over the caliber.;)
Shucks..... What an unfortunate predicament....

shotgunslade
12-21-2006, 11:57 AM
So, assuming that one has a set of 2005 STI Brembo calipers, what rotor diameter would one need and what wheel size would be required to clear the caliper?

From this thread, seems like there was a major caliper change from 2004 STI to 2005 STI. I think I understand that the 2004 STI calipers would require a 320mm rotor on an SVX, while the 2005 STI calipers would require a 345 mm rotor. The 320mm might fit under a 17" wheel, while I would bet the 345mm would require an 18" wheel.

TomsSVX
12-21-2006, 01:09 PM
actually the only change in the 04-05 was the bolt pattern I firmly believe that was a mis-print on the page. So I think the calipers are the same but the bolt pattern on the rotors was different. I wold check Nasioc before being compeltely sure

Tom

Chiketkd
12-21-2006, 04:36 PM
actually the only change in the 04-05 was the bolt pattern I firmly believe that was a mis-print on the page. So I think the calipers are the same but the bolt pattern on the rotors was different. I wold check Nasioc before being compeltely sure

Tom
Tom,

I think you're correct in saying that it was a mis-print. Several '05+ STi owners run 17x8" Rota wheels (Torques, Boost, etc) with their stock calipers & rotors.

shotgunslade
12-21-2006, 04:47 PM
In my post, I made mention of the fact that the SVX caliper mounts sit further out than the WRX. Hence, where the STi 4 pots on a WRX have a 295mm disc, the same calipers on an SVX require about 320mm.

If you go to the Brembo's, (which on an STi require a 320mm disc), by the same logic, you'll be needing something like about 345mm disc.

That's one big disc.

What I'm wondering though is: Can I mount 2005 STI Brembo calipers under 17" wheels. The above post seems to suggest not.

TomsSVX
12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Sti wheels are 17" factory

Tom

mikecg
12-22-2006, 05:14 AM
17" rims will fit the rotor. What you have to worry about is will the offset of your rim clear the rotors, or will the spoaks catch on it.

shotgunslade
12-22-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm currently running 48mm offset, so would greater or less offset be required to provide adequate clearance? Also, still don't understand Dynomatt's post below. He seems to be saying that puting the 2005 Brembo's on an SVX would require a 345mm rotor, 20mm larger that the OEM STI rotor

That's one big disc.

TomsSVX
12-22-2006, 08:04 AM
No, he weas guessing... He is using Nissan Calipers... Trust me, if the brembos don't fit, I will buy them from you, Make sure you get all the mounting hardware as well

Tom

Chiketkd
12-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm currently running 48mm offset, so would greater or less offset be required to provide adequate clearance? Also, still don't understand Dynomatt's post below. He seems to be saying that puting the 2005 Brembo's on an SVX would require a 345mm rotor, 20mm larger that the OEM STI rotor
You're good to go Dan.

Stock '05 STi wheels are 17x8" with a +48 offset - exactly the same specs as your Rota Boosts! :cool:

shotgunslade
12-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Still chasing Sti calipers, but the bid is getting up there. Wondering about these on from an eBay shop:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/shotgunslade/40563.jpg

This sell is for a Subaru 4 pot caliper upgrade kit. The kit includes left and right calipers, one set of Hawk HPS brake pads and all neccessary mounting pins and springs!

These calipers come painted black!

It there is one weakness to the WRX, it is its brakes, and the more power that you make, the more obvious this becomes. Subaru has finally addressed this issue on the 2006 WRX by putting on Subaru’s 4-Pot brake calipers, and now you can retro-fit these calipers to your WRX and dramatically improve your braking capacity.

The Subaru 4-Pot calipers were first used on the 2000 – 2001 JDM STI, and are what many Subaru Rally Teams are currently using in Open, and Group-N classes.

These calipers are a direct bolt on, and use the same front rotors as the 2002 – 2005 WRX.

Because these are 4-Pot calipers, these calipers may not clear your wheels.

The kit included

- 1 pair of calipers

- 1 set of Hawk HPS Front Pads

- All necessary mounting pins and spring

Please check out our store and email any questions.

Chiketkd
12-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Those aren't s good as the brembos, and are the same as the ones found on my '06 WRX (just not painted red).

shotgunslade
12-23-2006, 10:24 AM
So what size rotor would they require, if bolted on an SVX? I assume I might have to switch to '06 WRX rotors because of hat size and offset issues and bolt spacing.

NeedForSpeed
12-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Are you sure? The calipers pictured are iron, I believe, with raised letters. The 06 calipers are aluminum?, without raised letters. Can you confirm?

Those aren't s good as the brembos, and are the same as the ones found on my '06 WRX (just not painted red).

Chiketkd
12-23-2006, 02:45 PM
So what size rotor would they require, if bolted on an SVX? I assume I might have to switch to '06 WRX rotors because of hat size and offset issues and bolt spacing.
Not sure what size rotor they would require. But those are similar to the Nissan 300ZX calipers - TomsSVX may have test fitted some and would be able to give you a better answer.
Are you sure? The calipers pictured are iron, I believe, with raised letters. The 06 calipers are aluminum?, without raised letters. Can you confirm?
To the best of my knowledge, the calipers pictured are aluminum (just painted black). The Nissan 300ZX calipers were cast iron/steel IIRC... My '06 calipers have the same raised section with the SUBARU letters painted on.

TomsSVX
12-23-2006, 07:37 PM
the mounting bolts will allow for them to fit but the rotors will not. Since the STi uses a different hub, the rotors are different than wrx rotors. In short, we do not think the suby 4 pots will fit. Only the Brembos are known to fit easily. The Nissan 300zx calipers are aluminum and the suby 4 pots are cats iron. The brembos are aluminum as well as far as I know

Tom

Chiketkd
12-23-2006, 10:46 PM
The Nissan 300zx calipers are aluminum and the suby 4 pots are cats iron. Gotcha. I wasn't sure which was which...

jman050
01-25-2007, 05:04 PM
has anyone tested the STi brembos yet with success??

Edit: NVM i read toms post

Bwana
01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Speaking of which...anyone around Chicago thinking of doing this might want to jump on these.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3009918

edit: just noticed it's only the fronts...still, not bad

Subafreak
02-04-2007, 10:02 AM
A buddy of mine is doing an entire 06STI drivetrain swap into a 99RS. I'm pretty sure he's got the brakes to. As soon as i find out I will see if they fit.
Should know today if he's got them or not. ;)

TomsSVX
02-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I am very confident they will be a bolt up as long as you have all the STi hardware.

Tom

jman050
02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
wait so let me get this straight.....we are confident that the STi calipers will bolt up to the SVX but the rotor or hat has compatibility issues and wont mount up??

TomsSVX
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
We know for a fact the caliper will bolt up... I am confident an 05+ STi brake rotor will fit after mocking up an 04

Tom

jman050
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I am interested in doing this in the near future or getting the caliper adapters and svxfiles 13 inch rotor kit. But would it be a good idea to upgrade the brakes in the rear also to avoid a harmful bias? I kno a few members over at nasioc that believe a STi brembo front upgrade on a regular imprezza will actually hurt the braking without the rear being upgraded as well.

TomsSVX
02-07-2007, 06:41 AM
You are correct

Tom

jman050
02-07-2007, 07:18 AM
do we know if the rear brembos are also compatible or is it only the front?

TomsSVX
02-07-2007, 11:15 AM
haven't tried the rear but they may work with a little adapting... The STi uses the same e-brake setup as us so I would imagine the rotors would fit too. Only way to find out is to try it. I unfortunately cannot afford to try it at this point in time

Tom

nico i wrx u
02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
i have some one that has a full brembo 6mt drive line that i am getting for my svx, would the brembos clear the 16inch wheels the svx comes with?

jman050
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
i have some one that has a full brembo 6mt drive line that i am getting for my svx, would the brembos clear the 16inch wheels the svx comes with?

no the front rotors need 17s.....but try and see if the rear brembos will mount up so i can decide if i want to go thru with this mod ;)

TomsSVX
02-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Well if I can sell my plasma screen for something I want more, it will be these Brembo's. Considering the calipers on the Shadow Machine have recently to begin seazing while I drive:rolleyes:

tom

alltrac
02-12-2007, 12:27 AM
The STi uses the same e-brake setup as us so I would imagine the rotors would fit too. Only way to find out is to try it. I unfortunately cannot afford to try it at this point in time

Tom

I believe you are correct the STi uses parking brake shoes part number 26298PA080 the SVX uses 26298PA000 but the funny thing is they are exactly the same price both retail and dealer cost. So it might just be they are the same part but the later number may be a supersession. Also any part number with a PA is SVX.

jman050
02-12-2007, 07:51 AM
I believe you are correct the STi uses parking brake shoes part number 26298PA080 the SVX uses 26298PA000 but the funny thing is they are exactly the same price both retail and dealer cost. So it might just be they are the same part but the later number may be a supersession. Also any part number with a PA is SVX.

From what ive read on nasioc the rotors should mount up fine on the rear because they both use a 190mm parking break and both the same bolt pattern assuming its the 05+ sti. The only issue would be bolting the caliper on.....and it seems like there might be issues because the WRX can also bolt on the front brembo caliper but it has issues with the rear.

jman050
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I read over at nasioc that the svx rear caliper and rotor actually provide more brake torque than the brembo rear. A member named THAWA over there mentioned this....I think hes on this forum to. It doesnt seem like hes been active for a while so i cant inquire further.

-JJ-
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
not sure if this has been answered but, will the 4 pot wrx clliper fil under the svx 16" mag, or do you need 17"s???

TomsSVX
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
it should fit under the 16's but not the offset... the spokes would hit the outside of the caliper

Tom

TomsSVX
02-15-2007, 11:19 AM
been doing some thinking... if you do want the right brake distribution... the rears can be made to work. If the rear brembos do no bolt up, the dust sheild is their mounting point. pick up a set with the dust sheilds and make the dust sheilds fit our hubs... if they do not already(I think they do considering the STi uses the same hub bearings) So Like I said, once I can afford to pick them up, I will be able to confirm all of this with hard evidence

Tom

jman050
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM
wish me luck...i might be buying some 05 sti front and rear calipers/rotors/pads and lines for $1150 shipped....i hope the deal works out

TomsSVX
02-19-2007, 05:54 PM
what doyou guys think fo these?? I am not going to be able to find Brembos for under 1k so I might as well jump for these... I was gonna splurge the extra $110 for the aluminum calipers... I already have good SS lines...

Wilwood big brake (http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/?sfID1=15&sfID2=22&productID=432)

Tom

TomsSVX
02-19-2007, 05:58 PM
the 4 pot rears would be nice too but I don't have the bank rolls for that just yet... Unless someone decides to put a deposit on the Pearly... or maybe buy it;)

Tom

Crazy_pilot
02-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Yikes, another $180 just to get them painted red?

TomsSVX
02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
yeah I saw that and laughed.... I want black calipers anyway:D

TOm

jman050
02-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Thats the best value for a BBK ive seen yet. The fronts seem like a good deal by themselves but at almost 2300 for the fronts and rears and I was kinda disappointed to see such a small rear rotor in comparison to the front.

Also did i read that right....you have to pay more for aluminum calipers?

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 08:38 AM
yes, its a 110 more for aluminum calipers. I prob won't bother with the rears until I am having a probelm with a heavy front bias

Tom

jman050
02-22-2007, 06:19 PM
been doing some thinking... if you do want the right brake distribution... the rears can be made to work. If the rear brembos do no bolt up, the dust sheild is their mounting point. pick up a set with the dust sheilds and make the dust sheilds fit our hubs... if they do not already(I think they do considering the STi uses the same hub bearings) So Like I said, once I can afford to pick them up, I will be able to confirm all of this with hard evidence

Tom

is the dust shield your referring to also known as a backing plate?

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
yes

Tom

drivemusicnow
02-23-2007, 04:02 AM
Talk to Todd. He can do whatever you want as far as a kit and will probably give you a better price than you would be able to find elsewhere.

www.tceperformanceproducts.com

(I really don't work for him, he's just a stand up guy and I'd like to see the option/the ability to have options for SVXes.)

TomsSVX
02-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Alright I will get in touch with him when it gets closer

Tom

TurnInConcepts
08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok - whatever happened with this?

Sti front brembo calipers fit. What about the 05+ STi rotors? My concern would be the hat offset. I haven't had a chance to get the car in the air to check that part.

As for the rears - any update on that?

TurnInConcepts
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Nevermind. I found the other thread.