PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what route to take

sicksubie
10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Alright, I have reached a point where I need to now make a decision on what route I want to go with the SVX. I don't want to spend money on stupid little things without any real direction. I am considering two options and would like feedback on both.
Option 1: Build an EG33; Bored out to 99.0mm with Wiseco custom pistons, the same shop that would do the boring would also work on the crankshaft, Gasket works custom copper head gaskets, I would stick with the stock rods, obviously all new bearings, the head would stay stock for now, but down the road valvesprings, retainers and cams (specifics unknown at this point). Then it would be a turbo set-up similar to Phil's or maybe a stage 3 ECUTune, either with a 6 spd tranny.
+'s: keep the awesome sounding EG33, the sound of a BOV, the whine of a turbo, keeps the AWD
-'s: very limited engine management systems available really puts a cap on the potential of this system ( I know LAN rocks with the stuff he has developed but we still lack big time in this area)

COST: approx$14-17k

Option 2: 302 V8; Trick Flow Twisted Heads, 10.5:1 CR, RWD, 5speed,

+'s: great sounding ford 5.0, completely original, 390rwhp:eek:
-'s: Maybe sacreligious to some people, lose the awd capabilities of the car, suspension issues due to front end weight.

COST: approx$9-12k

sicksubie
10-13-2006, 11:34 PM
And for the nay-sayers please note. The two of us that will be doing this have put a 305 chevy in a 4 door saturn (ridiculously fast) and built a tractor last year and powered it with a 302 out of an old mustang. So the abilities are here to make the V8 fit. However we have not taken final measurements. That will be done hopefully some time this weekend. At that point we will know exactly what will fit. In the mean time post away, rant, rave, offer advice, criticism, anything you want.

sicksubie
10-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Almost forgot one other project. A log splitter powered by a 2.3L turbo out of an old Ford Thunderbird. There is also a work in process of a lawn tractor powered with the other 2.3L turbo and running on Mickey T's that we have lying around. Just trying to prove that I am crazy enought to possibly attempt this.

NeedForSpeed
10-14-2006, 01:02 PM
If you consider a v8, get a lighter modern engine, with four cams just like the eg33. The 302 is a dinosaur, heavy cast iron, two-valve, boring engine, nearly 50 years old in design. Okay for a lawn-mower, but not in an svx. All the time and effort, and you are left with a 'drag' car.

If you have to use a v8, use a modern sophisticated engine like the Infiniti, Lexus, Northstar, or whatever fits. We had a thread about that somewhere.

mikecg
10-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Alright, I have reached a point where I need to now make a decision on what route I want to go with the SVX. I don't want to spend money on stupid little things without any real direction. I am considering two options and would like feedback on both.
Option 1: Build an EG33; Bored out to 99.0mm with Wiseco custom pistons, the same shop that would do the boring would also work on the crankshaft, Gasket works custom copper head gaskets, I would stick with the stock rods, obviously all new bearings, the head would stay stock for now, but down the road valvesprings, retainers and cams (specifics unknown at this point). Then it would be a turbo set-up similar to Phil's or maybe a stage 3 ECUTune, either with a 6 spd tranny.
+'s: keep the awesome sounding EG33, the sound of a BOV, the whine of a turbo, keeps the AWD
-'s: very limited engine management systems available really puts a cap on the potential of this system ( I know LAN rocks with the stuff he has developed but we still lack big time in this area)

COST: approx$14-17k

Option 2: 302 V8; Trick Flow Twisted Heads, 10.5:1 CR, RWD, 5speed,

+'s: great sounding ford 5.0, completely original, 390rwhp:eek:
-'s: Maybe sacreligious to some people, lose the awd capabilities of the car, suspension issues due to front end weight.

COST: approx$9-12k

Well, if your going to do a V-8 swop, use a Chevy crate motor. My uncle just picked up one to drop in a '69 Camaro body. His is a small block 454ci. Dyno tested at 600hp and 573LB/FT. running straight carberation. A nice LS7 will add big power without as much weight as the 302 ford. If you prefer ford get the newer 4.6L. You need to look at going alumanium block or your going to end up adding way to much weight out in front of the wheels. Personally I'd stick with the EG33, or at worst a 2.5L STi engine. Also for a tranny,(and you didnt hear this from me) the new WRX 5-speed has 3.70 gears and is much strong than the older 5-speeds.

TomsSVX
10-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I can fully appreciate the want to put a v8 in the car but it really isn't realistic except for a drag car. There would be too much a weight bias and you would be lighting up the rear tires even with MT's on the car. The nose would be too heavy. If you really want a project... twin EG33 svx. It gonna be auto but it will be fun as hell!!!

Tom

92svx95
10-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Well, if your going to do a V-8 swop, use a Chevy crate motor. My uncle just picked up one to drop in a '69 Camaro body. His is a small block 454ci. Dyno tested at 600hp and 573LB/FT.

hmmmm i always thought a 454 ci motor was a big block unless bored and stroked. coming straight from a crait i would assume it was a big block... smallest small block i know of is a 396 rat.

92svx95
10-15-2006, 12:22 AM
#biggest small block chevy i know of is a 396

TomsSVX
10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
there was a run of 400 small blocks. There was issues with water and oil jackets though, cannot remember which exactly

the 454 is a big block, so you are correct

Tom

92svx95
10-15-2006, 12:41 AM
350ci + 400 ci. crank = 383 stroker nice power, but bang for the buck for a crate motor is a 460cobra jet crate motor , offering more ponys then a 502 big block. was informed watchin an episode of horsepower tv my senior year in high school( 5 years ago).. heheh i dont know what is up now as i dished my pony and my 66nova.

92svx95
10-15-2006, 01:02 AM
hehehhe twin eg33 svx would be crazy! hmmm mount one eg33 up front and one eg33 in the trunk!!!!! realisticaly, how bout stick with the eg33 and find a way to out perform most v-8's using lans' setup. it is a start and might cost u less down he road... my thoughts

It's Just Eric
10-15-2006, 01:08 PM
...two 2.5l turbo engines in the engine bay with some nice short tranny you can jam into the firewall so they fit. Thatll give ya an 8 cylinder and rwd, AND turbochargers and a vast aftermarket. Plus it would be a pain in the ass to build, so its a perfect match of everything

mikecg
10-16-2006, 05:16 AM
hmmmm i always thought a 454 ci motor was a big block unless bored and stroked. coming straight from a crait i would assume it was a big block... smallest small block i know of is a 396 rat.

The LS7 in the new Z06 Vette is a 427 small block. It isnt the same small block as the previous chevys, but they still label it as a small block. The 454 my uncle got is based on that block.

sicksubie
10-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Thats what my friend suggested. He wants to take the 427 and make it a mid engine car. If he owned the car ( cuz he has the money and def the time) he would probably do it.

bwb3
10-16-2006, 09:00 AM
The 302 Windsor is shorter front to back. We're putting one with a 5 speed in my son's 242 Volvo. The Chevy engine would have required cutting and welding on the firewall and tranny tunnel to fit.
Gene

Hocrest
10-16-2006, 11:05 AM
I vote for building up the EG33. For one I'm a Subaru "purist". Secondly document the hell out of it, and you can be a hero to the community. Many others will be able to then make advances from the road that you paved. ;)

sicksubie
10-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Well I am warming up the asphalt mixer and getting ready to possibly start paving away. I have talked to Wiseco, Ferrea, Pro-Port Heads (geniuses, let me tell you), Gasket Works, and I am calling DeltaCam tomorrow. The way things are shaping up is that I am going to get 99.5 bore pistons made from Wiseco, A&D machining is going to bore the block out and balance and micropolish the crankshaft, Pro-Port is doing a race-grade p+p job staying at the stock size for valves ( at his reccomendation ). That will give me a good start and also a higher CR (estimate increase from the p+p is about .2 and the increase from the boring is ???) Ths pistons will be designed to take these gains into consideration and keep (with help from a head gasket from Gasket Works) the CR around 10:1. I still need to talk to Deltacam and discuss springs and cams with them. I am thinking about keeping the stock valves and retainers and just doing the springs. Valves are very expensive about $45 each (45x24=:eek: ). That's were things stand now. I haven't pulled the motor yet and probably won't for another month and a half. In the mean time I am going to be doing a lot of question asking and listening while I assemble a shopping list and a to-do list.