PDA

View Full Version : Those Windows

Trevor
04-10-2002, 04:51 AM
We must not let Ò Down Under Ò go to sleep for want of posts so here is something controversial i.e. The Windows.

When I first saw an SVX I thought the window arrangement made a lot of sense and since I have owned one I have confirmed this first impression and am sold on this feature. However have noted many adverse comments in magazines etc.

In the past I have been a fan of open cars and up until now have always owned one as well as a saloon (sedan). When driving a closed car I have kept the windows up because of the annoying direct buffeting draught. Now for the first time I find that I can drive in comfort with the windows down albeit at the expense of road noise.

The Ò Monsoon Shield Ò a plastic curved side window deflector was seen in great numbers in Australia and N.Z. during the 50Õs and 60Õs when smokers liked to have their window down. Furthermore in Ausie a proper hand signal was obligatory prior to flashing indicators being accepted as a legal signal. The SVX window set up would have been very well received at that time.

Who else is for the SVX window design ?

Trevor, (sticking his neck out)

Ron Mummert
04-10-2002, 07:13 AM
Without the windows how would we ever describe our cars to the uninformed? I also think the car wouldn't have the following & interest that it does, without 'em.
Functionally - Yes the wind noise is lessened, but the rain thing doesn't work. There should have been a small grooved channel cut along the edge to at least deflect a light rain. Perhaps there's a cottage industry out there for SVX rain gutters. I'd buy 'em.

Ron.

MartyMcFly
04-10-2002, 07:42 AM
The windows are perfect eyecatchers.
If people look at my SVX they first ask bout the windows and then
what kind of car that is?

In Austria there are only about 30 SVX on the road. So the people
don't know it at all.

mfg hrc

Aredubjay
04-10-2002, 09:45 AM
I too like the windows for their design and functionality, but, like Ron, would appreciate some gutterage. I've found that, at certain speeds, the rain stays out of the windows if you don't run your wipers, but, the moment you stop -- :eek: the flood comes in. All in all, though, the moments it takes for the arm of my shirt/coat to dry are worth the rest of the pleasures.

All hail the "Fellowship of the Funny Windows."

wasions
04-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I too like the windows for their design and functionality, but, like Ron, would appreciate some gutterage. I've found that, at certain speeds, the rain stays out of the windows if you don't run your wipers, but, the moment you stop -- :eek: the flood comes in. All in all, though, the moments it takes for the arm of my shirt/coat to dry are worth the rest of the pleasures.

All hail the "Fellowship of the Funny Windows."

Are you guys saying that other cars are better than the SVX at keeping out rain with the windows open? Naw, I didn't think so. Do you guys get every meal from a drive-up window? No "gutterage" for me. I've grown sort of accustomed to keeping them up in foul weather anyhow. ;)

Ron Mummert
04-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by wasions

Are you guys saying that other cars are better than the SVX at keeping out rain with the windows open? Naw, I didn't think so. Do you guys get every meal from a drive-up window? No "gutterage" for me. I've grown sort of accustomed to keeping them up in foul weather anyhow. ;)

Steve, you know my mind's in the gutter most of the time. Anyway, I thought one of the touted advantages of the design was to be able to drive in a monsoon windows down. Obviously not.

Wet 'n sweaty, Ron.

oab_au
04-10-2002, 06:10 PM
I see the windows as the most significant feature, that others know the SVX by. Every body remarks on them.

I like the feature for the ease of entry and exit. Having no right arm and a dud right leg (RHD) I can access the car without hitting my head on the edge of the roof, as the window curves up over the edge of the drivers seat. Try getting into a few other low coupes, you then realise why the windows were designed that way.

Did I say I liked them ? bloody oath :p
Harvey.

Boone
04-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by oab_au
I see the windows as the most significant feature, that others know the SVX by. Every body remarks on them.

I like the feature for the ease of entry and exit. Having no right arm and a dud right leg (RHD) I can access the car without hitting my head on the edge of the roof, as the window curves up over the edge of the drivers seat. Try getting into a few other low coupes, you then realise why the windows were designed that way.

Did I say I liked them ? bloody oath :p
Harvey.

I've been thinking of a narrow deflector strip where the glass meets so I can leave the window down a bit without filling up the arm rest in a rain.

Harvey,
It sounds like you have been in a fight. A good one. We didn't think we would live to see the promise of this newish millenium and...... (click attach)

Regards, B.

Trevor
04-11-2002, 03:32 AM
The unanimous conclusion appears to be that this original feature which makes the car so different is in fact immensely practical and is in no way a gimmick. Pity the critics in the motoring press did such a poor evaluation but they never have the balls to stick their necks out and only the mundane is acceptable to them.

What next? Trevor.

Trevor
04-11-2002, 03:46 AM
Will have to dig out from my electronic bits and pieces some decent speakers ! Good one Boone! *<)

Jamsvx
04-11-2002, 06:42 AM
Hi all!

I had to add my two cents....the windows are, I have found, the best way of describing the car:

"Hello, do you have a Subaru SVX"
"A what?"
"Em....2 door, wierd windows"
"Ahh...that one!"

:D

Unfortunately no one has mistakenly offered me a McLaren F1, Diablo SE 30, Bugatti EB110 or such like by mistake!

*all having the same window concept for those not in the know*

Regards

James

svxistentialist
04-13-2002, 05:57 PM
I like the way the window can be open without buffeting or noise up to 50 or 60 [miles, not K's]

Can be done in light rain, but put on the wipers for instant regret.

I feel this is a tribute to the convex shape of the upper glass section on the door. This is not something can be replicated in a window that opens.

I dislike the way the water drops right on your arm when you open for a toll booth in the rain. Also, sticking your hand out and waving to a friend can be fraught, esp if you do not have a 34" inside leg measurement.

For trogledytes, the windows may be the most noticable or defining feature of the car. Not for me, they are only one piece of the jigsaw. Double curvature of the door glass would not have been possible any other way. This adds to the general "muscular" steroidal look of the car. Possibly this is why Guigiaro likes the car without rear wing. The wing adds another plane horizontal aspect to the car which detracts from the general bulginess of the design, and drags it closer to the ordinary.

One last beneficial design feature. Police who stop you late at night like to lean into the car and savour the atmosphere. In Ireland, they need to be able to say in court they were of the opinion you were drinking. Otherwise, unless you drove erratically, they may not invite you to blow the breathalizer for alcohol. No way they can get a nose into the SVX unless they go down on one knee. Drive safe, and keep em guessing!!

Joe:)

Trevor
04-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Joe you have added a lot of points all of common sense a commodity difficolt to find these days.

The added spoiler does just that. There is plenty of downforce in the boot (trunk) lid which should be obvious. Any extra will of course slow the car which I feel is probably a good thing for those who covet extra junk and drive with wings and a prayer.

I am not willing to run a test on the latter point you have made but I am sure it is a valid one!

Trevpr.

Beav
04-13-2002, 11:41 PM
That's not terribly p.c. (politically correct) Joe, but since I'm not running for office I'll admit getting a chuckle from that last line. The next time someone makes a wisecrack about the windows I'll have to recant that as an advantage. You know me, I throw gas on fires.... :)

svxistentialist
04-14-2002, 03:19 AM
Yes, I know it is non PC, and do not suggest drinking and driving under the influence.

I do admit I am a little irked when checkpoint police practically climb in the window. Your first thought is they are friendly guys, or your aftershave needs to be changed for something less sweet, but the reality is a little more predatorial.

So I snigger quietly to myself if stopped in the SVX, see how they can approach what presents as a problem for their normal MO.

Joe:) :)

svxistentialist
04-14-2002, 03:27 AM
Trevor, that is a seriously astute observation!!

You only left out the "wind beneath my wings" bit. You know, the boot-filling boom box so the car goes THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP as it passes.

That way you are sure the car is driven by a yoof, and not an old git like me or you. As if all the add-on bits that slow the car down in the wind didn't say that already.

Look at MEEEEEEE!!!!

Joe:D

Trevor
04-14-2002, 04:23 AM
Good one Joe,

The trouble with this old git is that the booming bloomin yoofs (hoons) get in my way when there is a decent piece of interesting twisting but safe road to have fun on then do stupid things when there is danger to others ie they are slow when driving ability counts and stupid when it doesn't.

Trevor.

oab_au
04-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Boone

Harvey,
It sounds like you have been in a fight. A good one. We didn't think we would live to see the promise of this newish millenium and...... (click attach)

Regards, B.

Gid'ay Boone, yes it wasn't a big fight, only lasted about 2 sec,
'In the blue corner, me on a 450 desmo Ducati, in the red corner a 22 wheeler double decker cattle truck', disagreement over the piece of road I wanted and he already had :mad: needless to say I lost the fight but not the war.:)
The One Arm Bandit lives to fight again, now piloting the SVX fighter.;)
Harvey.

svxistentialist
04-15-2002, 05:41 PM

Gid'ay Boone, yes it wasn't a big fight, only lasted about 2 sec,
'In the blue corner, me on a 450 desmo Ducati, in the red corner a 22 wheeler double decker cattle truck', disagreement over the piece of road I wanted and he already had :mad: needless to say I lost the fight but not the war.:)
The One Arm Bandit lives to fight again, now piloting the SVX fighter.;)
Harvey.

Ouch Harvey.

I am now regretting a little less that I sold my VFR 750 last year.

oab_au
04-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Ouch Harvey.

I am now regretting a little less that I sold my VFR 750 last year.

Hi Joe, well now that you sold the ONDA, you should get a real bike. I've still got a 76 750SS DUCATI for sale.
Gee Joe you would really look the part, blasting the lanes on this classic. :D
Harvey.
Life is shorter than you think, enjoy.

svxistentialist
04-16-2002, 01:24 AM

Hi Joe, well now that you sold the ONDA, you should get a real bike. I've still got a 76 750SS DUCATI for sale.
Gee Joe you would really look the part, blasting the lanes on this classic. :D
Harvey.
Life is shorter than you think, enjoy.

Sounds good Harvey. Literally. Doesn't go as quick as the ONDA though. That V4 could dial up triple digits like a video game. No wonder the missus made me off-load it. The manic testosterone grin when I took off the helmet gave the game away.

If I had your desmodromic twin, she'd be able to hear what I was up to as well!!

Joe:) a mile

wasions
04-16-2002, 09:53 AM
The manic testosterone grin when I took off the helmet gave the game away.

If I had your desmodromic twin, she'd be able to hear what I was up to as well!!

Joe:) a mile

I think it must be true that, as we (and the wives) get older, we begin to realize how often we've cheated the reaper. I still love it when things get loud and fuzzy. If I had kept riding the cafe racers, I'd be long dead.

svxistentialist
04-16-2002, 03:10 PM
Not surprised your wife stopped you riding them. My missus has strict house rules also.

Know what you mean Steve, I am a relatively safe rider, but even so in the last few thousand miles I have almost bought the farm twice, maybe three times. Each time the fault of other road users. They do not think bike, or are willing to bully, betting you have to stop or yield road because they are bigger and heavier, have airbags and a bad attitude.

Still, a lot of smiles and fun between the scares. Great that we never grow up, isn't it?

Joe:cool:

wasions
04-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Know what you mean Steve, I am a relatively safe rider, but even so in the last few thousand miles I have almost bought the farm twice, maybe three times. Each time the fault of other road users. They do not think bike, or are willing to bully, betting you have to stop or yield road because they are bigger and heavier, have airbags and a bad attitude.

Still, a lot of smiles and fun between the scares. Great that we never grow up, isn't it?

Joe:cool:

In my case, 'relatively safe rider' is really a relative term. While it's true that many other drivers don't understand car/bike, uh, etiquette, I have to admit that most of my close calls are due to my riding too fast for conditions :D , and trying to avoid wear and tear on the front tire. ;)

svxistentialist
04-17-2002, 02:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wasions

While it's true that many other drivers don't understand car/bike, uh, etiquette,

That is the most euphemistic way I have seen some one say "Are willing to kill you just to prove a point who owns the road"

Could it be said you are a conservative, a man who doesn't like to unnecessarily wear out his front brake?

Joe:D :D

Beav
04-17-2002, 04:31 AM
Also, sticking your hand out and waving to a friend can be fraught, esp if you do not have a 34" inside leg measurement.

For whatever reason I'm not sure, but I was reading back and saw this. My question is, just what is it that you're waving at your friends that your inseam length becomes a consideration? :D

*I guess I'm happy that I do have a 34" inseam*

svxistentialist
04-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Beav

For whatever reason I'm not sure, but I was reading back and saw this. My question is, just what is it that you're waving at your friends that your inseam length becomes a consideration? :D

*I guess I'm happy that I do have a 34" inseam*

Well good for you, Beav. I was born with my ass too close to the floor, and have remained so. But as for it being a consideration, I only ever find it a problem if the barman can't see me.

I do find that Japanese cars in general are a snug fit for me, ie my arms and legs and sitting position must be fairly close to what is the Japanese norm. I hate German cars for the opposite reason. I find their seats are a mile wide to cope with what you Americans pleasantly describe as lardass people. Drive them in a spirited fashion and you are rolling around in the seat with sideways inertia forces, really tiring on a long run, as you are bracing yourself to counteract it, and the muscles tense up.

Oh, and shortass people have the last laugh riding tiny bikes like the Ducati 916. Daddy longlegs people are folded up so much on them, they can scratch their knees with their chin stubble. We jockey people can ride them all day and get off smiling.

"Don't want no short people round here"
Randy Newman

Beav
04-18-2002, 04:53 PM
I used to tease my short ex-wife about her being so short she blew sand in her shoes each time she broke wind. :D

To tell you the truth just about every car built is a pain in the seat for tall people. The seat pack tips forward where most people's heads are, for me it hits right below the shoulders. My problem with the leather seats in my SVX are that I keep slipping down towards the steering wheel, something that the faux suede never allowed in my original car.

I understand diminuitive scooters, usually my knees are into the handlebars and I can't steer without removing my feet from the pegs - makes for an interesting driving style... ;)

Trevor
04-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Now I am fairly tall (5' 11.5) and insist on a straight arm driving position. Very few cars that I have owned have not required seating mods. in order to make me happy. Not so the SVX and full marks to it. I have the suade centre seats and these are excellent.

Beav - Does not raising the front of the seat cushon stop you from sliding forward? If I do this and tilt the back well back I can get myself implanted as good as in any racing seat. This is presuming you have four powered adjustments plus lumber support as I do.

My wife is a lot shorter but does not sit hard against the wheel in an impossible position for quick control as so many do. She also finds that she can attain exactly the driving position she desires and we both have extended leeway. However a position memory for us both would be a great feature which I would rate above many of the other gimmicks.

I recall that I started this thread WINDOWS way back to get something going and hasn't it been going and going. Great stuff, what next ?

Trevor.

PS James - I have contacted Sub. NZ re local sales and they have promised to get back to me.

Beav
04-18-2002, 10:15 PM
I really loved the suede seating in my first car, I drove it 36 hours non-stop one year and felt great (fanny-wise, anyway ;) ) at the end of the trip.

I've got the seat to where it gives the least problem but I'm almost to the point of stapling some velcro to the cushion and wearing fuzzy pants. I'm afraid that would only lead me into a giant 'wedgie' though...:eek: :p

Aredubjay
04-18-2002, 10:31 PM
*Falls off chair laughing at the thought of seeing Beav in "fuzzy pants"*

Trevor
04-19-2002, 02:44 AM
Beav, I'd like to be there to see bystanders reactions to the ripping----- noise as you detach yourself and exit with maximum aplomb. Some nice lady might even offer a needle and thread!

Trevor.

Beav
04-19-2002, 03:26 AM
That ripping sound was the velcro. Yeah, that's it....the velcro...uh huh... ;)

svxistentialist
04-19-2002, 09:41 AM
Beav
With people on the board using velcro to prop up a droopy visor, only you would go the fuzzy pants route.

BTW, not to be sexist or anything. But. Velcro has male and female sides. Wear fuzzy pants, you are in female attire. Won't be just the ripping dismount will get you attention.

Beav
04-19-2002, 11:35 AM
If women wear the fuzzy pants maybe I should start wearing the male version of velcro - it might prove to be fun in a crowd... Hmmm.... the Kentucky Derby is only a couple weeks away.... :D :D :D

svxistentialist
04-20-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Beav
If women wear the fuzzy pants maybe I should start wearing the male version of velcro - it might prove to be fun in a crowd... Hmmm.... the Kentucky Derby is only a couple weeks away.... :D :D :D

Kentucky Derby!! OK, I'm hooked!

Joe:D

Jamsvx
04-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Hey Harvey!

You were online so just a note to say hello!! I could not message you

Regards

James

11.29am, Sunday 21 April 2002