PDA

View Full Version : New parts that you want.

SVX-FF
10-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey all I have been out a while with my move, new job, starting school again and then there is the wife's honey do list, it is verrrrrrry lonnnnnnnnnnng.

I just found out that my Uncle has started up a machine shop. I am a machinist by trade and want to ask the member if there are any parts that you would like to have made. I want to sell my Uncle on the idea of making a few parts that he can sell. Lets keep the list to nothing to complex. I will have to made the prototypes on the weekend and I do not have to much of them. This will be something that will be a work in progress. The ideas need to be serious.

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve

curly2k3
10-11-2006, 03:28 PM
i wanna call them camber caster plates...cant think of the name off hand, the plates that go on top of the strut towers...

exhaust flanges

hood spacers(for rearward venting)

intake manifold spacers

trottle body flange

soild ass motor and tranny mounts

and i am sure i can come up with some more too

sicksubie
10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Is there is something that could be fabbed up to make STi brembos bolt on?

92svxinmn
10-11-2006, 04:47 PM
i had the same idea as i work for a machine company too. what type of machines does he got? max size of pieces?

2618 aluminum pistons

titanium retainers

.5mm oversized valves

custom block :p

operation-X
10-11-2006, 05:51 PM
How has the stock fuel rail held up? It seems like it would be an easy item to fab.

curly2k3
10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
yeah brake mounts, good call...sti brembos would be hot...

sicksubie
10-11-2006, 06:14 PM
heck yeah! the rotors already have the same bcp. The ability to bolt on Brembos would be crazy.

gest24
10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Put me on the list for Brembo spacers.

sicksubie
10-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I'll take two sets. Anybody got the specs as to what exactly what is needed?

SVX-FF
10-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I know that his equipment is all Haas, there are only three machines.

The fuel rails hold up great why would you want to mod them?

Brembo adapters sound like a great idea and the bracket for the top of the strut towers are another good one.

Keep them coming

Steve

michael
10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
I have no interest but if you are looking for ideas, how about suspension components. Control arms etc to lighten things up, or to compensate for lowering coils by relocating the ball joints.

SilverSpear
10-11-2006, 11:18 PM
i wanna call them camber caster plates...cant think of the name off hand, the plates that go on top of the strut towers...

exhaust flanges: www.smallcar.com;)

hood spacers(for rearward venting)

intake manifold spacers

trottle body flange

soild ass motor and tranny mounts

and i am sure i can come up with some more too

^^^ above ^^^

sicksubie
10-12-2006, 06:42 AM
I have no interest but if you are looking for ideas, how about suspension components. Control arms etc to lighten things up, or to compensate for lowering coils by relocating the ball joints.
I like those ideas a lot too

sicksubie
10-12-2006, 06:44 AM
But why not go further and figure something out to bolt up STi suspensions?

curly2k3
10-12-2006, 02:45 PM
me and some fellow subi owners have been talking about that actually, we think that our top hats could fit onto the sti bodies, meaning we would just need to redo the dampening and spring rates a little bit

AFBeefcake
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
How about some nice battery hold downs.

NikFu S.
10-12-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm down for Brembo adapters and battery tie downs.
My battery tie ticks me off.

TomsSVX
10-12-2006, 10:46 PM
How about some 5/6mt X-members made ou6t of aluminum?? I have been thinking of making one of my own but I don't have the time or machinery to do it

Tom

P.S. How about a subframe for the rear that will allow for an engine and FWD transmission to be mounted... No, I have not been thinking of making a twin engine SVX

Sov13t
10-12-2006, 10:50 PM
P.S. How about a subframe for the rear that will allow for an engine and FWD transmission to be mounted... No, I have not been thinking of making a twin engine SVX

ROFL!!!! GO TOM!

SVX-FF
10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
I will be speaking with my uncle this weekend. I will be pitching the Brembo spacers and a strut to strut front brace.

Control arm would be extremely expensive out of solid aluminium. STI parts would be a great idea but I would need some used parts to get the right measurements. I will post more after this weekend.

Steve

SVX10
10-24-2006, 11:13 PM

Mwahahaha...great idea Tom. I have a FWD engine/trans combo in my parts car and I had the same idea :D

Can he do plastics? I'd like to see some urethane steering rack mounts/bushings

kuroneko_sama
10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
someone needs to make a piece that extends past the existing console to cover the parking brake and have an arm rest with cup holders in it.... you know...like NOT inside the console where your arms have to bend backwards to get at a cup.... my jeep cherokee sport had one... the dealer sold them it connected right on the existing console and had a slot for the parking brake to still move.

since the car is automatic anyway the parking brake is near useless to me. i wouldnt miss it if it were hidden. in an emergency its the last place i think to grab anyway.

sicksubie
10-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Brembo adapters, please!!!!!!!

msvx95
10-25-2006, 09:48 AM
First off, what types of machinery does your uncle have? CNC vertical centers, horizontal centers...what sizes are the tables if so? Does he have bridgeports, lathes, welders, etc.??

Second, if we have ideas can you upload CAD files etc?

This is to everyone asking ?'s:
It's easy for people to say... Uh..can you make me a bracket??..... Well, who ever has some dimensions, sketches, pictures...submit them it, will make things easier to get an idea of what parts can be fabricated, machine time, cost.

Earthworm
10-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I'd like to see some urethane steering rack mounts/bushingsIf there's enough demand I can get these made.

TomsSVX
10-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey, can I ship you two Front halfs of the driveshaft and have them extended 2" and balanced??

Tom

SVX-FF
10-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Matt
My uncle has 3 cnc machines that I know of. 2 vert mills and 1 lathe. All are Hass. As for the manual stuff I am not sure, I will check.
As far as sending CAD ideas I will ask him about that too. I will see him this weekend at my cousins wedding.

Tom
Your best bet for that would be a drive shaft shop. They has custom machines that can do that in a day or two and not cost a lot. I had a '79 Trans Am drive shaft shortened for about 40 bucks a few years back.
I will look and see if they are still around.

Steve

TomsSVX
10-26-2006, 10:11 PM
yeah I know I could find a shop to do it... But that would require me to get up off my ass and find one;)

Tom

drivemusicnow
10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
1) there is something posted above about raising the back of the hood to "vent" heat. That doesn't work, and actually will make your heat issues worse. Think about this, When the air hits your car, it creates higher pressure areas around the places that are more vertical. Your windsheild is "more vertical" than your hood, therefor the base of the windsheild is a HIGH pressure area.

This is why the call hoods with raised backs cowl induction hoods. Air goes INTO the hood, and then displaces hot air (which then stays around the motor, and goes under the car. More air goes under the car, and at high speeds it is less stable (not a big deal unless you're racing, but a fact none the less)

2) Pillow ball mounts (camber/castor) plates would be a good idea, and would probably be fairly easy to make. The brake adapters are not hard to manufacture either, and all it takes is someone to measure what bolt holes we have, what we need, and calculate approximate stress to figure out how thick we should make it.

3)If you want to make control arms, for the most part you can use tie rod ends, swedge tubing, and heim joints to create an adjustable arm. I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you A) know what all of those peices are, and b) know how different angles will effect your suspension.

SVX-FF
10-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I was able to talk with my cousin and uncle. They are co-owners and both were very interested in making part for the SVX. My cousin Rob know the the SVX pretty well, for not owning one, and would like to help up.

I need help on this. I have school 3 night a week and work all day, plus house stuff. I wish I could do more but my time is extremely limited. I know that Brembo's site has specs on rotors an calipers. I need someone to get the dimensions for our kit.

Matt-
They will take any Auto CAD file. That would be a great help. They do not have a web site due to cost. Their machines are not Hass but Hardinge.

What ever help anyone can give will make this happen faster.

Steve

gest24
10-29-2006, 08:43 PM
How about someone come up with a cad file for endlinks. We could put spherical bearings in and tie up the sway bars a bit better.

TomsSVX
10-29-2006, 09:32 PM
can you direct me to the specs on the brembos??? I am waiting to see what those specs are compared to ours before I buy my set

Tom

gest24
10-29-2006, 09:44 PM
can you direct me to the specs on the brembos??? I am waiting to see what those specs are compared to ours before I buy my set

Tom

I'm going up there Wed. to pick up my helmet bag. I want to measure some other stuff.

SVX-FF
10-30-2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX-FF|39551

I have copied only two files. Both for STI's

Brembo STI page (http://www.brembo.com/CatalogoHPGT/Templates/SearchHPGT.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fUS%2fPerformance%2fGranturismoCat alogue%2f&NRNODEGUID=%7b0DECE949-F261-4E29-A729-C4A049DD61FE%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest)
Click on a part number
Click on Detail
Below the picture in the technical image click "download technical drawing"

You can do this for all other calipers.

Hope this helps.

Steve

gest24
10-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I think the page is for the Brembo GT BBK.

TomsSVX
10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVX-FF/39553.pdfSo the mounting hole spaces are 130mm apart and offset from the center of the caliper by 55m?? I guess this is what these dimensions are?? they don't give you descriptions of the dimensions

Tom

SVX-FF
11-02-2006, 06:09 PM
yes
The 130mm distance is the space between the center of the mounting bolts. The 55mm is the distance between the center of the mounting bolts and the center of were the rotor will be.

Yes they are from the GT big brake kit

Steve