PDA

View Full Version : Wrx 5 speed cluch. Which one should I run?

AFBeefcake
09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Looks like I should be getting a WRX trany this week end.:D
My question to you 5 speeders out there is what clutch should I run?
I see all kinds of different ones on ebay. Stage 1-5, racing clutchs.

I just want one that will work well and not brake the bank. My car has some basic mods on it. See my soundomain link for the full run down.

gest24
09-18-2006, 04:40 PM
On my 6MT I just used the stock exedy set up. If I go froce fed in the future I'd prob. swap out but as it sits, the SVX's HP output is comperable to an WRX so there shouldn't be any issues.

Earthworm
09-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm still running the stock WRX clutch. It won't slip unless you foolishly heat it up.

AFBeefcake
09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
O, I thought some one said to use a stage 2 or something. So I should be ok with a stock replacement clutch.

Earthworm
09-18-2006, 06:16 PM
If yours didn't come with a clutch (like mine) then go with stock or some form of stage 2. Remember that as clutch performance increases, ease of use decreases.

AFBeefcake
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Something like this right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exedy-Clutch-Kit-for-2001-05-2-0T-Subaru-Impreza-WRX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ011QQitem Z320028945793QQrdZ1

Earthworm
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Sure. Also, don't forget about a flywheel. Do you already have something in mind for that?

Speedklix
09-18-2006, 06:53 PM
you should be fine with that clutch if you're not drag racing or attempting a burnout.
more importantly... have the flywheel machined! a stock wrx one is fine.

AFBeefcake
09-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Yes, I got a stock wrx flywheel on the way and a legacy mt drive shaft too.

I just need to find a mt starter and a master clutch.
I can't wait to drive my svx again.

TomsSVX
09-21-2006, 09:29 AM
I may be picking up a pedal box and clutch master... You interested??

Tom

AFBeefcake
09-21-2006, 10:56 AM
If its a WRX clutch master, then yes. I already got a wrx peddle box a wrx slave clutch and I should have a wrx trany on sunday.

Also how backed up are you on making the 5 speed parts. I got all of the pieces ready.

TomsSVX
09-21-2006, 01:46 PM
i am in Philly almost always so I am leaps and bounds away from my shop. I will let u know if I cam but I doubt it

Tom

AFBeefcake
09-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Its not something I would need done right away. The trany that I'm getting is going to need some work. If you can doing it some time in the next couple months that would be ok.

TomsSVX
09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
oh ok... I need to try and get about 7 or 8 X-members done but I just don't have the time or the cores. I have only done 7 or 8 of them to date and I think 3 or 4 sent me cores back... Anyway I will see what I can do

Tom

gest24
09-21-2006, 10:46 PM
oh ok... I need to try and get about 7 or 8 X-members done but I just don't have the time or the cores. I have only done 7 or 8 of them to date and I think 3 or 4 sent me cores back... Anyway I will see what I can do

Tom

I admit, I'm one of the bastard X-member hoarders... My bad Tom, I've had a box sitting in my garage just for the X-member and the other misc. items you called dibs on.

gsodonis
09-22-2006, 05:17 AM
This is clutch related, so I don't think its a total thread highjack. I have a stock WRX flywheel in my 5SP, but when it tcomes time to replace my clutch, I'd like to buy a lighter flywheel. Any of you manual trannied SVX owners running something other than a stock Legacy or WRX flywheel, please share your stories on pros and cons on going with a light flywheel. I don't race my SVX, so I will probably use a stock organic clutch & pressure plate set up, but I wouldn't mind shaving a few pounds off the flywheel. Recommendations?

TomsSVX
09-22-2006, 07:42 AM
unless your flywheel is cracked, keep your stock one. They don't do all that much and it is not worth the extra couple hundered dollars

Tom

AFBeefcake
09-22-2006, 08:16 AM
I got all the core parts off ebay so my car can stay in one peace until I get all of the parts ready to go.

So just tell me when and I can send them to you.
I got
svx torque bar
svx AT trany cross member
wrx pedal box
wrx shifter linkage
svx brake pedal bracket
svx gas pedal
svx brake booster (but I think I can re thread that)

and once my car is done I'll have another set of cores to sell.

TomsSVX
09-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Ok, sounds like you have most of what you need. When you get he tranny post pictures in this thread and I will be able to let you now if you have everything.

Tom

AFBeefcake
09-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I think all I still need is.
WRX master clutch
clutch hose.
A WRX clutch
trany mount
MT starter
bolts(flywheel and others)
replacement exhaust gaskets
Clutch switch

TomsSVX
09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
ah yes.. but sometimes not all of the shift linkage pieces are there and people like to take pieces off of the clutch fork. I have had to pick up a couple pieces like this for shotgunslade's trans and Mikecg's 6mt... Pain in the butt when you are knuckle deep and realize... **** I don't have what I need

Tom

Earthworm
09-22-2006, 02:01 PM
I think all I still need is.
WRX master clutch
clutch hose.
A WRX clutch
trany mount
MT starter
bolts(flywheel and others)
replacement exhaust gaskets
Clutch switchI have:

- WRX master clutch
- clutch hose
- trany mount

So if you can't get these elsewhere let me know.

AFBeefcake
09-22-2006, 04:32 PM
ah yes.. but sometimes not all of the shift linkage pieces are there and people like to take pieces off of the clutch fork. I have had to pick up a couple pieces like this for shotgunslade's trans and Mikecg's 6mt... Pain in the butt when you are knuckle deep and realize... **** I don't have what I need

Tom
Ya, I know what you mean. I was looking for little parts for weeks when I did the WRX motor and drive train swap on my friends legacy.
I'll see what I got on Sunday.

AFBeefcake
09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I got the transmission. Its missing all of the parts for the clutch fork and pivot as well as the dip stick. I got most of the parts coming. I hope to crack the transmission open this week end and see wants up with it.

gest24
09-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Good luck with the swap! I know how much time and extra $$ it can take up.

TomsSVX
09-28-2006, 09:04 PM
pictures say a thousand words

Tom

AFBeefcake
09-29-2006, 07:57 AM
I'll try to get some tonight when I am back at home.

AFBeefcake
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Here is a pic of the trany I got.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/AFBeefcake/38701.JPG

and the inside :(
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/AFBeefcake/38702.JPG

TomsSVX
09-29-2006, 09:04 PM
so are you going back to a stock gearset?? unless you are planning on dishing out some punishment to the tranny I would. Simple enough fix though. Problem is, those clutch fork parts are probobly gonna run you a little bit

Tom

AFBeefcake
09-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Yes, I am going to just replace the broken gears. I found most of the fork parts on NASIOC for about $30.

It looks like this trany has been opended before. How do I know if the gears in there are the stock gears?

TomsSVX
09-30-2006, 02:19 PM
dunno. I would ask the PO usually but I guess u cannot do that. Anyway stock gears should work as people don't often change ratios unless they plan on keeping the trans. It may have been opened to check the broken gears and then sealed when they said **** it

Tom

AFBeefcake
11-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Well I got a set of shafts with some mest up gears (well the ones I need are good) from some one on NASIOC, but I can't get the gears off the shafts. It looks like I need a 50mm and 35mm socket to get the nuts off. So I guess I have to buy them. Is there any thing else I would need to swich the gears?

AFBeefcake
11-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Well I got the 50mm and 35mm sockets and removed the nuts, but everything is pressed on. I gave up and dropped the shafts and gears off at the dealer. They should be done tomorrow. So I should be able to put my trany back together this week end. I hope.

TomsSVX
11-21-2006, 10:08 AM
yeah, it is a pain in the arse... glad to hear you will be moving on this finally

Tom

AFBeefcake
11-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Well, no good news. Dealer said the main shaft and 3 gear are bad on the shafts I got. There is some kind of service bulletin on this transmission so more then just the shaft and gears are needed to update it. The dealer wants like $800 for the parts alone. www.subaruparts.com only wanted about $600 with shipping. I called the dealer and they agreed to install the parts if I order them. So I am ordering the parts from subaruparts. Thanks subaruparts for saving me money.:) But now its going to be a week or two more before its done.

TomsSVX
11-30-2006, 01:17 PM
At this price you might as well have gotten an 04 wrx tranny with low mileage and been done with it... Glad to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel though, good luck and call me if you need any help with the swap

Tom

GreenMarine
12-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Whatever clutch ya do just go with an Organic one...

I am on the stock Exedy WRX clutch and Exedy lightweight flywheel on my car and have for about 3 years now... I Autocross my car and drive it rather "Spiritedly"... I can't tell forsure, but I think that the clutch is just now starting to slip alittle. Not bad, only on 1 - 2 shifts when Autocrossing... Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't... Point I was trying to make is that even after all my "abuseive" driving, the clutch has still held up... That said, I will be switching to the Exedy Stage 1 Street Organic clutch the next time I change it...

AFBeefcake
12-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Ya, I got a brand new stock Exedy WRX clutch in a box waiting for my transmission to be ready. I got my parts from subaruparts last night and I am bringing them to the dealer this afternoon. So hopefully I'll have the transmission back together by next week end.

AFBeefcake
12-22-2006, 06:03 PM
I got my transmission shafts back from the dealer today. I should be putting my transmission back together some time after the holidays.

AFBeefcake
12-27-2006, 07:23 PM
I finally got my transmission back together! :D Tomorrow I should be taking my SVX for one last drive as an Automatic, Then pulling the battery and putting in up on jack stands to start the swap.:)

TomsSVX
12-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Good luck and thanks for the good news!!

Tom

AFBeefcake
01-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I got some time in on my car. I got the exhaust and heat shield off, and drained the transmission.

I allso found that I have a hole in each of my front cat pipes at the flange on the center cat end.:( Any one have some good used ones for sale?

TomsSVX
01-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I got some time in on my car. I got the exhaust and heat shield off, and drained the transmission.

I allso found that I have a hole in each of my front cat pipes at the flange on the center cat end.:( Any one have some good used ones for sale?

Hit them with a wire wheel or a wire brush and have them welded at a local shop... it is a temp fix but it will work

Tom

AFBeefcake
01-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I'll try that. People at work know how to weld. So, I'll see if they can fix them.

AFBeefcake
01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
More progress tonight. Got the starter out, drive shaft out, disconnected the CV joints and the trany electrical.

I was comparing the legacy drive shaft to my stock svx one and it looks like I need to switch the bearing with mount. The legacy one would move the drive shaft closer to the ground and I think it would hit the heat shield.

AFBeefcake
01-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Anyone have any tips on removing the brake booster? I got it unbolted, but I can't get it out. Its like its to big to remove.

benebob
01-05-2007, 08:22 PM
You have it disconnected at the pedal right? If so it'll just pull out with some work.

AFBeefcake
01-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes, the master cylinder has been removed the vacuum hose is disconnected, the 4 mounting nut are out, the pedal boxed are out of the car and I removed the connector at the end of the rod to. There just does not seem to be enough room to get it out without removing the AC hose.

benebob
01-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Yes, the master cylinder has been removed the vacuum hose is disconnected, the 4 mounting nut are out, the pedal boxed are out of the car and I removed the connector at the end of the rod to. There just does not seem to be enough room to get it out without removing the AC hose.

Ah, yeah, that might need removed, I didn't have to worry about that when I r&red the one on the racer. You might be able to take off the mounts that hold it to the engine and move gently the hose far enough out of the way.

TomsSVX
01-06-2007, 02:27 PM
you can get it out... its a pita but u can getr it

Tom

AFBeefcake
01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I got the booster and the transmission out, tonight.:) Now I got to get the heal a coil set for the starter bolt and figure out how much I have to cut off the brake booster rod.

Also whats the torque spec for the flywheel and clutch bolts? What size heal a coil do I need for the starter stud?

AFBeefcake
01-11-2007, 06:35 AM
I found the specs I needed. I got the flywheel and clutch installed. I also got the starter stud transferred to the mt trany. I tried to work on the pedals, but I can't figure out where to drill the hole for the master clutch bolts.

AFBeefcake
01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
I got the pedals and the brake booster in tonight. I am having trouble bending the brake lines out of the way of the master cylinder. any Ideas?

SVXRide
01-13-2007, 08:42 PM
I got the pedals and the brake booster in tonight. I am having trouble bending the brake lines out of the way of the master cylinder. any Ideas?

Use a tubing bender and go slowly?
-Bill

TomsSVX
01-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I usually just pull them out of the way... don't yank em because they will bend and crimp, use constant force that is not secluded to one arear and just pull and push them to where they need to be

Tom

AFBeefcake
01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll give it a try again tonight.

AFBeefcake
01-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I got the lines sort out of the way, but I got a new problem. The top of the master cylinder tank hits the fire wall. So there is no way to open the cap to add fluid. I am going to switch to a remote mounted master cylinder tank. I found a master cylinder I had that I think its out of a forester. It has a remote tank on it so, I think I can just switch the tanks and make a bracket to hold it.

GreenMarine
01-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Good to hear that ya got the Exedy clutch. I doubt verymuch that you'll be disapointed :)

Good Luck with the rest of the swap!! It is well worth it :) :cool:

TomsSVX
01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
the master cylinder tanks are always in the way... It is such a PITA to get to when you fill it, use the best brake fluid you can find so you don't have to do it again for a long long time

Tom

AFBeefcake
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Ya, that's why I am going to try and get the remote tank to work. That way I can get to the fluid easy.

AFBeefcake
01-31-2007, 08:08 PM
I switched the tank on the master clutch and installed it. The pedal set is fully bolted back in and so is the steering column. The new transmission is under the car and on the jack just awaiting for some time and help to install it.:)

TomsSVX
02-01-2007, 08:11 AM
nice:D

Tom

Speedklix
02-01-2007, 08:14 AM
This is my first post after the week of absoloute hell...

Subafreak has a really cool remote res kit on his. I think I've seen it on a truck before. I never asked him about it :rolleyes: I've been trying to come up with something similar so I can put it in when when I do switch the fluid. You cant use the cruise if you mount it the same as him though.

AFBeefcake
02-01-2007, 09:19 AM
This is my first post after the week of absoloute hell...

Subafreak has a really cool remote res kit on his. I think I've seen it on a truck before. I never asked him about it :rolleyes: I've been trying to come up with something similar so I can put it in when when I do switch the fluid. You cant use the cruise if you mount it the same as him though.

Ya I still have to come up with a bracket to mount it so that I can still have the cruise. I'll see if I can find a pic of the tank.

TomsSVX
02-01-2007, 02:27 PM
his remote resevoir came out of a JDM 6mt... He got the master and all and he used the JDM resevoir

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I one that I have I think came out of a JDM turbo Forster. I was just going to use the whole thing, but it was two holes for lines and the rod on it was to long. So I just swiched the tanks.

Any one know which wires in the harness are for the back up lights?

Speedklix
02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
can't remember the colors but I think they are next to the starter (NSS) wires.

So it is a subaru part!!! Only JDMs have it? Or can I cruise on down to the dealer and order it?
Because removing that cap without getting a bunch of surprises is a tremendous pain unless you remember to cut off all that yellow/black stuff. even then, the angle is kinda odd.

Speedklix
02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
just looked at huck's how to and the wires for the nss are "Black w/Yellow tracer and the Blue w/White". So the wires next in that row are what you want. When I wired mine up, to be sure I used the multimeter probes and ali clips on a small battery to observe them turn on.

TomsSVX
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
the wires should be brown w/ yellow tracer and green with a red tracer... I am doing a 5mt now and I just wired up the reverse lights myself.... should be running tomorrow if all goes well:D

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks. Now I just need time and help to get the trany installed.

Subafreak
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Nice! I didn't know you were doing a 5speed. It's about time thoe. ;) How much of the stuff do you have together? God, I hope your working on this thing inside somewhere.

AFBeefcake
02-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Nice! I didn't know you were doing a 5speed. It's about time thoe. ;) How much of the stuff do you have together? God, I hope your working on this thing inside somewhere.

Yes, I am working in my garage and I got a propane heater.

The transmission is now in my car:D and the throttle body is back in. I would have got the axles and ball joints back in last night, but my friend put his car in a ditch.

Subafreak
02-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Thats awsome! Good luck with getting it all together. Should be a blast to drive when it's all done. :)

Hope your buddy and his car are alright.

AFBeefcake
02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I tried to install the shifter tonight and its to short. There is a 1-1/2 inch gap between the whole in the car and the rubber seal of the shift. How long is the shift supposed to be. I can't get the shifter in to 1st 3rd or 5th because the shifter hits the console.

TomsSVX
02-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey, I got the new shift linkage ready to go. I need to find your adress somewhere but I cannot seem to dig it up... Call me (609) 276 7279 if you read this before 4pm so I can drop it off to UPS.

I apologize for this again...

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-11-2007, 08:00 AM
thanks. :)

TomsSVX
02-11-2007, 11:27 AM
No problem, it should be there tues I have a tracking # at home

Tom

TomsSVX
02-17-2007, 09:57 AM
did you get the new set?? how is everything working out fpr ya??

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Ya I got the parts and I test fit them last night. They fit much better. I am going to try and make the shifter mount later today.

TomsSVX
02-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Ya I got the parts and I test fit them last night. They fit much better. I am going to try and make the shifter mount later today.

Good stuff... Keep us updated;)

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-19-2007, 08:13 AM
I got the shifter all in. :)

AFBeefcake
02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Is it normal for the shifter to hit the trim of the console on the left side?

TomsSVX
02-19-2007, 05:00 PM
yeah... Most people just trim it down... If you want to be a little more proper you could shift the mount over to the right but it takes the shifter off center.

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Shifter in all set for now. center console is most of the way back in. drive shaft is in and so is the heat shield.

I still got to install the starter, clutch line, slave clutch, gas pedal, ecu, intake, and do the wiring. I am getting there.:)

TomsSVX
02-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds good:) Keep it up and make sure you are ready for Reading:D :D

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-22-2007, 07:01 AM
Ya. It better be done by then.:D But I don't know if I'll be going to Reading.

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 07:36 AM
geeze... why do I have to twist people's arms to get them to go to reading:rolleyes: :D

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-22-2007, 09:10 AM
No arm twisting needed. I want to go and I am going to try to go.

AFBeefcake
02-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Well I got most of my car back together. I tried to start it up, first the clutch switch is in the wrong place so it only turns over if you don't push the clutch, and second the car will not start. It turns over but does not start. any I ideas?

TomsSVX
02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
did you forget to put the ECU back in??

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-26-2007, 08:34 AM
No. Its in there and plugged in. I'm thinking I may have blown a fuse. My revers lights don't come on and my fuel pressure gauge was at 0 when I checked it 20 minutes later. Most of the time it will hold the presser for some time. I am going to look in to it more when I get time.

TomsSVX
02-27-2007, 09:20 PM
any progress?? I am still wondering why your car won't run??

tom

AFBeefcake
02-28-2007, 07:53 AM
With going to school an hour way I don't have much time to work on my car, but I going to work on it tonight. Hopefully I 'll get it running.

TomsSVX
02-28-2007, 10:25 AM
sweet!!:D

Tom

AFBeefcake
02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
I got it running!!!:D The ECUtune chip that I installed fell out of the socket some how. I put it back in and it started right up. It runs good too. But I have a problem. It will not stay in 3rd gear. If I shift into 3rd as soon as I let the clutch in it pops the shifter out of gear. I tried holding it in 3rd and it starts to grind. Any ideas on how to fix this?

TomsSVX
02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
sounds like an internal problem I hate to say it... might have to drop the trans back out and tell the shop they didn't set the gears right

Tom

AFBeefcake
03-01-2007, 07:12 AM
sounds like an internal problem I hate to say it... might have to drop the trans back out and tell the shop they didn't set the gears right

Tom
I am sure there going to tell me that its my falt some how. This realy sucks.:mad:

TomsSVX
03-01-2007, 07:16 AM
just skip 3rd for now;) :rolleyes:

Tom

AFBeefcake
03-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I think I will. I want to drive my car a little. I posted on NASIOC to see if any one mite know what would cause this problem. I hope its some thing I can fix with out spending to much more money.

Tom do you need stock 4eat cross member parts? I got a set.

TomsSVX
03-01-2007, 01:30 PM
i do need them now that I have exhausted my stock... I can pick em up from ya at reading tho

Tom

AFBeefcake
03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
I called the Subaru dealer that installed my gears and they think its the 3rd - 4th shift fork. So I am going to take it apart again and see if I can determine if the fork is bent.

TomsSVX
03-05-2007, 08:10 PM
ouch!

tom

Earthworm
05-22-2007, 02:06 PM
So is there any new news on the 3rd gear problem?

AFBeefcake
05-22-2007, 02:30 PM
No, not really. I am wait to get the money to fix it. I have to do a wheel bearing, front CV joint, front ball joint, and brakes on my impreza first. So i should be done fixing my impreza in a week or two. then I'll get going on my svx again.

AFBeefcake
07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Well I got the trany back out and apart. I don't see anything wrong inside. Anyone got any ideas?

TomsSVX
07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
shift fork... I may have on in the garage I can take out and send you... i will check later

tom

AFBeefcake
07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
o ok. I am going to baro a caliper from work tonight and check the clearnces on the 3nd / 4th shift fork. I hope I find some thing. I want to drive my car!!

TomsSVX
07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
you know... I am rebuilding an 04wrx 5mt right now and I have a little more to input. You need to slip the trans into 3rd while everything is bolted together but the pass side of the case is off. make sure the syncros are lining up and that the shift fork is moving foward enough to fully engage 3rd... This is part of the alignment proceedure of the gearset(pain in the balls). Good luck... hope you can find the problem

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Can you elaberat on the alignment proceedure? I had a dealer install the gear set on to the shafts, but not into the case.

TomsSVX
07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
well you need to make sure the shift fork at its furthest extension will fully engage the 3rd gear... If not, it needs to be shimmed to full engagement

tom

AFBeefcake
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I found the problem!:) One of the shifting inserts keys was bent. The two tabs were touching and stopping 3rd gear from fully engaging. I all so found that the right side axle seal is damaged. I am going to order the seals from the dealer in the morning.

TomsSVX
07-10-2007, 09:21 PM
glad you found it...:) full engagement is always a good thing;)

tom

AFBeefcake
07-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I got the case gasket and axle seal this morning. So I can RTV the case hafts back together tonight.

TomsSVX
07-11-2007, 09:32 AM
I got the case gasket and axle seal this morning. So I can RTV the case hafts back together tonight.

Don't use RTV... use the Subaru bonding stuff... or some ultra black

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, its ultra black, but I mite use GM enginge sealant.

AFBeefcake
07-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I put the transmission back in the car and It still doesn't have 3rd and I broke the shifter. Anyone have any Idears how to fix this? Is it posable that the shift linkage is the proventing 3rd from working?

TomsSVX
07-12-2007, 10:43 PM
so now it won't go into 3rd at all?? I doubt the shift linkage is causing the problem... it is pretty straight foward unless its hitting something... How did u break the shifter?

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Well it goes in to gear, but pops out when you let the clutch out. Just like before.

The part the holds the botom of the shifter poped out. The retaning ring that holds it to the botom shift rod came off. I am going to fix the shifter and see if anything is in the way of the shift linkages.
If thats not the proble i have no idear now to fix it.:mad:

TomsSVX
07-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Well it goes in to gear, but pops out when you let the clutch out. Just like before.

The part the holds the botom of the shifter poped out. The retaning ring that holds it to the botom shift rod came off. I am going to fix the shifter and see if anything is in the way of the shift linkages.
If thats not the proble i have no idear now to fix it.:mad:

JUst make sure everything has enough clearnaces

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Its not the shifter. Is something in the trany. It will not fully engage 3rd again. It did before I put it back in. So something got mest up again.:mad: So its got to come back out again.:mad:

SVXRide
07-14-2007, 08:49 PM
So, it goes into 3rd fine when it's out of the car and when it's in the car as long as the clutch isn't released. It then pops out of third when the clutch is released, right? This points to there still being a problem within the trans, as releasing the clutch is placing an axial load on the gear train. I'm with YT, check your clearances within the trans.
-Bill

AFBeefcake
07-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Well it went into 3rd before i put it back in. I put it back in and tried to drive it, and now it will not go all the way into gear. I even tried to force it into gear by crawling under the car are pushing the shift linkage and it still would not go all the way in.

TomsSVX
07-14-2007, 11:05 PM
there is something I noticed in my trans that you may want to look at... between the 3rd gear syncho and the 3rd driven gear, there is a stopper on mine... Looks like a shim of some sort but all the same... make sure your's is there and make sure it is allowing full 3rd gear engagement

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
I opened the trany again. I don't see anything wrong. 3rd seems to fully engage, but 3rd would not work when it was in the car.

Speedklix
07-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm just walking in on this... but it sounds like your problem is the bolt joining the shift linkage is hanging up on something.

AFBeefcake
07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
not that I can see I had some one shift it when I was under the car and I watched it.

TomsSVX
07-18-2007, 11:41 PM
try disconnecting the linkage next time its in the car... Then try shifting it into 3rd by hand to see if it fully engages

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Is it normal for the shifter to move a little less to get into 3rd then say 1st? little a 1/16 less.

TomsSVX
07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
not sure... Its just odd that it would fully engage outside of the car. There has to be something outside of the transmission holding it up

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
That's what I thought, I can't find anything wrong, but I am not sure.
I don't know enough about this trany. I'm thinking I am going to have to take its somewhere.:(

SVXRide
07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
That's what I thought, I can't find anything wrong, but I am not sure.
I don't know enough about this trany. I'm thinking I am going to have to take its somewhere.:(

Try putting an axial load on the trans that simulates the load the pressure plate/clutch places on it when the clutch is released. From the posts I read here, this is where your "in car" problem occurs. Are you sure all of the snap rings, etc. within the trans are installed/installed correctly?

-Bill

TomsSVX
07-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Bill is right... Make sure everything in the trans is secure and there is no front-rear movement... Pictures would also help me a lot to see what your trans has/doesn't. Take pictures of the trans in neutral and of it when it is fully in 3rd gear

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I compared my trany to my friends trany and its not the same. Something doesn't look right.

My trany
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa107/afbeefcake/wrx1.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa107/afbeefcake/wrx2.jpg

Friedns trany
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa107/afbeefcake/JDM1.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa107/afbeefcake/jdm2.jpg

TomsSVX
07-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I can see said the blind man... When the shop pressed your gears together it looks like they didn't go far enough. The whole input shaft assembly needs to slide back or the pinion shaft assembly needs to slide forward. Since your 1st gear is working properly, I would imagine the input shaft needs to be moved back a little.

Tom

AFBeefcake
07-25-2007, 06:08 AM
I don't see any space for the gears to be pressed on any farther.
All gears but 3rd work. Its like the shift coupler needs to move about and other 1/8" for the detent to lock in.

AFBeefcake
07-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Today I got tried of trying to figure it out. I dropped it back off at the dealer. They said they have to send pics to subaru to find out how they should fix it.

TomsSVX
07-26-2007, 11:05 PM
lol just looked at it again... u have the wrong 3rd gear in that bad boy. The synchos won't grab that gear because it is different.:o I might have a good 3rd gear here if you want me to send it to you... You could also send me the input shaft and have me press all the new parts on... Or just send me the whole thing and I will take care of it

Tom

TomsSVX
07-26-2007, 11:15 PM
See here
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/wrx1.jpg

and here
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/JDM1.jpg

Tom

Speedklix
07-27-2007, 01:27 AM
...well damn

AFBeefcake
07-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I know there different. My trany has the newer 3rd gear from like a 04 or something. So I think the dealer put the wrong syncho set in there, but I'll find out when they call me back.

TomsSVX
07-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I think you need the older 3rd gear then

Tom

AFBeefcake
08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
The dealer said I need the right 3rd 4th gear hub. I should have it tomarrow I hope.

SVXRide
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Good news! Hope you're one the road soon, rowing through all 5 gears!:cool:
-Bill
p.s. YT -- are there any RA-geared 5 spds up in the U-Pick you've been going to?

TomsSVX
08-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Bill.... You are hilarious thinking there are any subies with r/a trannies at Harry's:p

I could have gotten you all the parts Aron as I have a BOX filled with 5mt gears and synchos

Tom

TomsSVX
08-08-2007, 07:31 AM
I actually have the 3rd gear you need sitting out waiting for you to say the word

Tom

AFBeefcake
08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I dealer is replacing the shift hub, so the 3rd gear I have should work fine. I'll know later today.

AFBeefcake
08-11-2007, 06:53 AM
The dealer failed again.
:bash:

Tom, in that box of parts you have do you have a selector hub that would work with the 3rd gear I have? and can you take a pic of it and post it.

TomsSVX
08-11-2007, 07:13 AM
No, but I have a 3rd gear that will work with the hub

Tom

AFBeefcake
08-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Aren't the 3rd and 4th gear a matched set. And I have the newer style main shaft.

TomsSVX
08-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Thats fine... Should slide right on... if 3rd and 4th were a matched set... why wouldn't you be having problems since your 4th is an older gen than the 3rd gear?

To,m

AFBeefcake
08-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Ya it most likely would fit, but they are a set. You can't buy just 3rd or just 4th they come from Subaru as a set only. I saw the new parts before they installed them the first time and there was three gears in a sealed bag.

This transmission also already had the newer 3rd in it when I got it. I wish the dealer had given me all of the old parts back. Then I could just have them put the old selector back in and be all set.

I guess the dealer did not see that the trany had already been updated, so they tried to order all of the parts to update it, and some where along the way they did not get the right parts. I would think that a Subaru trained tech should have seen that the parts were not right when they put it together the first time. :mad:

AFBeefcake
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Well after hours of searching on NASIOC I found what the dealer couldn't in 2 and 1/2 weeks, the part number for the right selector hub.
I called the dealer this morning and had them order it. They should have it tomorrow and hopefully they will install it tomorrow.

For reference
32214AA610 3rd / 4th gear set
32605AA180 SLEEVE & HUB
32614AA130 RING BAULK

AFBeefcake
08-22-2007, 06:07 AM
It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have all the gears.:D :D :D :D
I just have to fit the shift boot.

TomsSVX
08-22-2007, 11:21 AM
great!!!

Tom

SVXRide
08-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Nice! Now, lets see some 1/4 miles times posted;)
-Bill

AFBeefcake
08-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Well I got the shift boot in, sorta and I should have my new deep cycle sealed battery tomorrow.

How are people attacting there shift boots?