PDA

View Full Version : JDM, no..>European!!! parts aquisition (SVX, around the world in 60 days)

zavikan
08-28-2006, 07:27 AM
OK! Working my way around the world for all the rare and ellusive SVX parts that I won't be able to buy later in life. Now I'm looking for the lovely Glass Headlights and interior leveler switch/squirter switch assemblies. Doing some searching, It looks highly unlikely to aquire these. Surely if you throw enough money at the problem, they ARE aquirable. Its just from where... Can anyone here show me where I should throw the money? (that is, in exchange for aforementioned parts, not for your amusement ;))

b3lha
08-28-2006, 09:02 AM
SVXes are a lot more rare here than in the US. So it won't be easy to find parts at a breaker.

If you want to get new parts from a dealer, try Bell & Colvill. They are one of the few UK dealers that show any interest in the SVX. Bear in mind that parts here are a lot more expensive than in the USA.

http://www.bell-colvill.co.uk

svxcess
08-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Now I'm looking for the lovely Glass Headlights and interior leveler switch/squirter switch assemblies.
This has been covered back years ago in this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5715&highlight=glass+headlights

I was in contact with dealers and people in Germany about these. They are still available,
but they do not ship from Germany to the US. They said that they could be purchase
ocally by an American (tourist, soldier) and brought back.The VAT would still have to be paid,
but a refund could be applied for.

Here are the current prices and part nunbers:

84001PA090 for the left headlight assembly (€ 388,09) $496.00USD
84001PA080 for the right headlight assembly (€ 388,09) $496.00USD

$992.00 + 16.5%VAT ($164.00) = $1160.34USD, plus shipping
That's over a thousand dollars for headlights!!

The headlight leveler switch is part number is 83015PA010. Not sure of the price.

Looking at the thread, you will see that the German headlights do not use our 9005/9006 bulbs,
but rather H3/H4, and they have NO fog lights in the assemblies.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxcess/37988.jpg

The easiest thing to do would be buy the complete German assemblies and swap just the glass lenses
into our lens bodies... that way you would not need the leveling switch. Maybe the bulb holder
that fits into the back of our headlight assemblies is the same for the H3/H4 and the 9005/9006 bulbs.
That way its just plug n' play. but

one of the possible problems with that is the glass lenses may be significantly thicker than our plastic
lenses and not fit onto our plastic assemblies.

Here is a link to a German SVX Promo video which shows a close-up of the glass headlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37so9EanR6s&mode=related&search=.

SVXRide
08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
John,
Interesting pic of the shifter....has anyone done any research into the "econ/power" button on the shifter? Did it call up a different "map" in the ECU and/or TCU for each setting? With everything that LAN has done on the ECU side of things, it would be nice to find something similar on the TCU side (i.e., it would be nice to raise the shift point for the 4HEAT:cool: )
-Bill

sicksubie
08-28-2006, 01:11 PM
wow!!!!!!!! That is a hot pic of the center console. I never knew such things were even optional for the SVX even overseas. Stinkin' Germans always get the best of everything.

b3lha
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
John,
Interesting pic of the shifter....has anyone done any research into the "econ/power" button on the shifter? Did it call up a different "map" in the ECU and/or TCU for each setting? With everything that LAN has done on the ECU side of things, it would be nice to find something similar on the TCU side (i.e., it would be nice to raise the shift point for the 4HEAT:cool: )
-Bill

The econ switch connects pin a4 of the TCU to ground. This signals the TCU to use the economy shift map. I believe it lowers the shift points. There has been some discussion about whether the Euro cars have 3 shift maps: Econ, Normal and Power because the power light does come on when you kick down hard - which seems to suggest that the car is not already in power mode when the switch is out.

JDM cars switch to power mode when you ground pin a4 of the TCU. From looking at the pictures and wiring diagrams I believe that all the TCUs are the same hardware but different software.

Nobody knows what happens when you ground pin a4 on a USA SVX. Try it and find out if your shift points change.

The electric antenna button is necessary because the Euro model has an inferior stereo without a connection for the antenna motor. There are no tweeters and no twin-antenna diversity system, even though both antennas are fitted, only one is wired.

zavikan
08-29-2006, 06:44 AM
See Title....moving on...

Ok, there are UK, German, and Aussie glass headlights...

Some dip right or left, but that last post said that should be easy to interchange. Some don't have foglights (do any?) Some have funny glowy parking light built in. And some have an adjuster on the interior of the vehicle.

As for the difference in H3 an H4 bulbs, those are certainly easy to aquire anywhere. Many VWs use them here in the US. Volvo too I think. They aren't inferior bulbs, are they?

Germans have the adjuster, do the aussies? UK? Would wiring them to operate be a massive problem?

svxcess
08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
See Title....moving on...

Ok, there are UK, German, and Aussie glass headlights...

Some dip right or left, but that last post said that should be easy to interchange. Some don't have foglights (do any?) Some have funny glowy parking light built in. And some have an adjuster on the interior of the vehicle.

As for the difference in H3 an H4 bulbs, those are certainly easy to aquire anywhere. Many VWs use them here in the US. Volvo too I think. They aren't inferior bulbs, are they?

Germans have the adjuster, do the aussies? UK? Would wiring them to operate be a massive problem?
Looking closely at my SVX brochures from around the world, this is all I can find at the moment.

Germany
....Headlights: glass
....Integrated foglights: no
....Beam pattern: same as US-spec
....Bulbs: H3/H4
....Leveling adjustment on console: yes
....Parking lights in headlight housing:

United Kingdom
....Headlights: Polycarbonate (?)
....Beam pattern: Opposite
....Bulbs:
....Parking lights in headlight housing: yes

Australia
....Integrated foglights:
....Bulbs:
....Leveling adjustment on console:

Japan
....Bulbs:
....Leveling adjustment on console: no

Please fill in the blanks or edit any incorrect information listed.

As far as the H3/H4 bulbs go, they have been around a long time and used without problems. A lot of newer cars use them, and the newer H-7's as well. This shouldn't be a cause for concern (remember, our fog light bulbs are the H-3).

As for the wiring I am not sure how difficult this would be. The headlights (UK/Germany) have a small motor built into them that moves the reflector in response to the switch on the console. That is why they are so expensive.

The way I understand it is the reason for the adjustment is to adjust the beam downward when carrying rear seat passengers and a loaded trunk. ) is the normal default position, 3 is for fully loaded, and 1-2 are inbetween. Maybe one of our English/German members could elaborate on this further as it should be explained in their owner's manual.

b3lha
08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Looking closely at my SVX brochures from around the world, this is all I can find at the moment.

Germany
....Beam pattern: LHD

United Kingdom
....Beam pattern: RHD

Australia
....Leveling adjustment on console:

Japan
....Headlights: Polycarbonate
....Integrated foglights: yes
....Parking lights in headlight housing:yes

Please fill in the blanks or edit any incorrect information listed.

As far as the H3/H4 bulbs go, they have been around a long time and used without problems. A lot of newer cars use them, and the newer H-7's as well. This shouldn't be a cause for concern (remember, our fog light bulbs are the H-3).

As for the wiring I am not sure how difficult this would be. The headlights (UK/Germany) have a small motor built into them that moves the reflector in response to the switch on the console. That is why they are so expensive.

The way I understand it is the reason for the adjustment is to adjust the beam downward when carrying rear seat passengers and a loaded trunk. ) is the normal default position, 3 is for fully loaded, and 1-2 are inbetween. Maybe one of our English/German members could elaborate on this further as it should be explained in their owner's manual. CORRECT.

UK and JDM answers above. I think the Euro, UK and Aussie SVXes are all essentially the same except that the Euro cars have LHD beam pattern.

zavikan
08-29-2006, 10:20 AM
mmm, exactly what I was asking :D.....*sniff*... I just want to take this moment to thank absolutely everyone in the SVX network for being awesome people, and especially those crazy few dedicated ones who know so much extranious information about this car, who are willing to come on here and post it to people like me.........:D

dynomatt
08-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I have both JDM and Aust delivered headlights.

Australia
....Headlights: Glass
....Integrated foglights: No
....Beam pattern: Opposite RHD
....Bulbs: H1 low beam H3 high beam
....Leveling adjustment on console: No

Japan
....Headlights: Polycarbonate yes
....Bulbs: H1 low, H3 High and H3 Fog
....Parking lights in headlight housing: Yes

zavikan
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
I think it would be nice to hold onto this listing someplace for everyone. I'm saving it to file, but eventually, this posting will go ancient, and no one will remember, and once again the same questions will be asked. Thanks John for starting the list

Germany
....Beam pattern: LHD

United Kingdom

Australia
....Headlights: Glass
....Integrated foglights: No
....Bulbs: H1/H3
....Parking lights in headlight housing:Yes

Japan
....Headlights: Polycarbonate
....Bulbs: H1/H3
....Parking lights in headlight housing:yes

dynomatt
08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
UK and Germany use H4 globes...they must not have the projector low beam headlights do they?

H4's would not work with projector lenses.

Matt

Motorsport-SVX
08-30-2006, 12:58 AM
I have a set of the UK headlights in my pewter car
have had them for about 2 yrs now.
Installed a set of aftermarket nice 5000k HIDs in them
too.
It took some wiring to get them properly installed
adding some relays etc.
Got a 3 way cockpit adjustment switch from a new
Infinity Q45 and installed it by my cd player.
My city lite isnt connected, but was thinking about
putting an LED in it and hooking that to the factory
alarm.
No fogs, dont really need them anyway (esp in Az)
The pattern has never been an issue, looks to me
just like driving one of my other US model Svxs.
At least the glass holds up better then the plastic thats
for sure.

b3lha
08-30-2006, 03:20 AM
FYI: The rear alcyone center light mentioned in your PM comes in two flavours. Sorry about the crappy photos, I've only got a toy camera at the moment.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/b3lha/37992.jpghttp://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/b3lha/37991.jpg

No, I don't want to sell mine.

svxcess
08-30-2006, 04:12 AM
In the UK-spec center light panels I have seen, the words SUBARU SVX are in black. The main difference between the US-spec and UK-spec is the addition of rear fog lights in the panel.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxcess/37993.jpg

The JDM panel, with ALCYONE SVX, comes with the bright reflective silver or black lettering. The layout is the same as the US cars.

SilverSpear
08-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Not only UK specs my friend, but also some of the Gulfian SVX comes with those taillights

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SilverSpear/32425.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SilverSpear/32698.JPG

svxistentialist
08-30-2006, 09:21 AM
The econ switch connects pin a4 of the TCU to ground. This signals the TCU to use the economy shift map. I believe it lowers the shift points. There has been some discussion about whether the Euro cars have 3 shift maps: Econ, Normal and Power because the power light does come on when you kick down hard - which seems to suggest that the car is not already in power mode when the switch is out.

JDM cars switch to power mode when you ground pin a4 of the TCU. From looking at the pictures and wiring diagrams I believe that all the TCUs are the same hardware but different software.

Nobody knows what happens when you ground pin a4 on a USA SVX. Try it and find out if your shift points change.

The electric antenna button is necessary because the Euro model has an inferior stereo without a connection for the antenna motor. There are no tweeters and no twin-antenna diversity system, even though both antennas are fitted, only one is wired.

I am not in total agreement with Phil's thoughts on this matter, but we only diverge slightly. Primarily about the 3 shift maps.

Having had a lot of different problems with JDM and latterly English gearboxes, I have read up on everything I could get my hands on, owner's manuals, workshop manuals, End Wrench articles, ATSG, you name it. I have come to the conclusion there are only two shift maps in the 4EAT, Normal and Power.

Different markets get different ways of tapping in to these different maps.

All markets have the "kickdown" mode to shift the box from Normal to Power, i.e. rapid throttle movement which activates the Power mode depending on speed, gear, and other conditions. Most will agree it drops out of Power mode rather too quickly after the overtake or acceleration manouvre.{In late model OBD 11 cars, demand for speed does activate the Power map, but the dash Power light does not come on}

The JDM cars also have this "on demand" mode of changing shift maps, but in addition there is the switch Phil mentions that puts Power mode on all the time. This is roughly the equivalent of the BMW system where their auto cars have what they call a "Sport" mode. Same effect. Kickdown happens quicker, hard acceleration will cause the box to hold lower gears much longer to higher revs before changing up. Better fun all round really:D

The "Euro" cars, which all have the glass headlights, English, German, Swiss etc., these cars have an "Economy" switch instead of the JDM "Power" switch. They were lumbered with these Economy switches because it was reasoned that European owners are more conscious of fuel use than US owners, maybe something to do with the fact that our fuel costs were approx three times what gasoline costs were in the States at that time.:rolleyes:

The Econ switch does not activate a third "economy" map in the software. Instead it merely cuts access to the Power mode. While Econ is in the on position, no amount of acceleration will induce Power mode, it is by-passed by the Econ switch. It does not lower the change-up points any lower than what they usually are in Normal mode, but while Econ is on, you are stuck with the standard very quick low-rev change-up that turns the SVX into a snail without the Power shift map. Note: this does not mean the car will not respond to normal kick-down, which would be dangerous, only that it kicks down in its usual leisurely way in Normal mode.

I hope that throws some light on gearbox mode discussions we have had over the years.

Joe:)

b3lha
08-30-2006, 09:39 AM
The Econ switch does not activate a third "economy" map in the software. Instead it merely cuts access to the Power mode. While Econ is in the on position, no amount of acceleration will induce Power mode, it is by-passed by the Econ switch. It does not lower the change-up points any lower than what they usually are in Normal mode, but while Econ is on, you are stuck with the standard very quick low-rev change-up that turns the SVX into a snail without the Power shift map. Note: this does not mean the car will not respond to normal kick-down, which would be dangerous, only that it kicks down in its usual leisurely way in Normal mode.

Thanks for clearing that up Joe. Nice to have a definitive answer at last. :)

curly2k3
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I am not in total agreement with Phil's thoughts on this matter, but we only diverge slightly. Primarily about the 3 shift maps.

Having had a lot of different problems with JDM and latterly English gearboxes, I have read up on everything I could get my hands on, owner's manuals, workshop manuals, End Wrench articles, ATSG, you name it. I have come to the conclusion there are only two shift maps in the 4EAT, Normal and Power.

Different markets get different ways of tapping in to these different maps.

All markets have the "kickdown" mode to shift the box from Normal to Power, i.e. rapid throttle movement which activates the Power mode depending on speed, gear, and other conditions. Most will agree it drops out of Power mode rather too quickly after the overtake or acceleration manouvre.{In late model OBD 11 cars, demand for speed does activate the Power map, but the dash Power light does not come on}

The JDM cars also have this "on demand" mode of changing shift maps, but in addition there is the switch Phil mentions that puts Power mode on all the time. This is roughly the equivalent of the BMW system where their auto cars have what they call a "Sport" mode. Same effect. Kickdown happens quicker, hard acceleration will cause the box to hold lower gears much longer to higher revs before changing up. Better fun all round really:D

The "Euro" cars, which all have the glass headlights, English, German, Swiss etc., these cars have an "Economy" switch instead of the JDM "Power" switch. They were lumbered with these Economy switches because it was reasoned that European owners are more conscious of fuel use than US owners, maybe something to do with the fact that our fuel costs were approx three times what gasoline costs were in the States at that time.:rolleyes:

I hope that throws some light on gearbox mode discussions we have had over the years.

thanks, that cleared things up for me a little too, however I am going to disagree on the fuel ussage... I am always thinking about it, but then I realize how fun the car is to drive and MPG goes right out of my head

svxistentialist
08-30-2006, 10:58 AM
thanks, that cleared things up for me a little too, however I am going to disagree on the fuel ussage... I am always thinking about it, but then I realize how fun the car is to drive and MPG goes right out of my head

You are quite right on that point also Chris.

When I had the JDM car, I always measured my mpg from full tank to full tank. I still do this, I guess I'm anal about it.:rolleyes: :)

Anyway, from week in/week out mileage checks, I found that the car only used about 1 mpg more with the Power switch on full time, at most 2 mpg.

I think it would be well worthwhile some of you US owners putting in a switch that would ground pin 4 as Phil suggests above. If it permanently switches in Power mode, you will find a major improvement in driveability in the SVX, just because you now have ACCESS to the power the car makes, rather than let the gearbox decide how quick you want to travel.

I'm certainly going to rewire Black Betty to do this when I get my new gearbox fitted.

svxistentialist
08-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Joe. Nice to have a definitive answer at last. :)

:) You are welcome Phil.

You probably remember the early discussions where many suggested that the Power mode gave the car another 40 or 80 horsepower?

Well in the Maclane FAQ this was ridiculed, and probably correctly so, as the car still made 232 hp as per standard tune.

However.....

If you look at any standard dyno chart, you will see that the hp [and torque] curve rises in line with revs to yield more and more horsepower. Well when the gearbox is perpetually changing to a higher gear at maybe 1500 revs, then you are not getting any more hp to the wheels than what is shown on that chart at 1500 revs. I can't say I have seen a dyno chart for the SVX, but I suspect that the engine probably produces no more than 50 or 70 hp at these revs, maybe less.

The point I am making is that with Power mode permanently on, the gearchanges happen at way higher revs even for normal driving. So you are accessing more power from the engine, and the car feels and performs much more brisk.

So it is not strictly incorrect to say the Power mode gives another 40 hp. It doesn't make any more hp than stock, it does however give access to more of the hp that the engine makes.

;) :p

curly2k3
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
so being the noob I am, would pinning it out still work with an ECUtune stage 1 or 2 also?

dynomatt
08-30-2006, 02:03 PM
I thought the rear panel on my Australian car had foglights too, but it turns out it's just brake lights in the centre.

Is that the same as the US? Brake lights in the centre panel?

Other Subaru's I've had have a rear fog light...

svxistentialist
08-30-2006, 03:26 PM
so being the noob I am, would pinning it out still work with an ECUtune stage 1 or 2 also?

It should not make any difference Chris. ECU tune is modification to the ECU, the engine computer.

Phil is talking about grounding one of the pins to the TCU, the gearbox computer. Provided the ECU is getting its own separate signal from the TPS, there should be no problem with putting in the switch. I'm presuming this is how the JDM Power switch is wired.

Joe

curly2k3
08-30-2006, 03:39 PM
OK, thats what I thought... so could you run a switch if you really wanted then, so you could have an "econ" mode if need be? I don't see why not

b3lha
08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
OK, thats what I thought... so could you run a switch if you really wanted then, so you could have an "econ" mode if need be? I don't see why not

The point is that the same pin does "power mode" on the JDM TCU and "economy mode" on the Euro TCU. It's not connected on the USA TCU, nobody has ever tried it to see what, if anything, it does.

Regarding the rear light panel. The cars with rear fog lights do not have the high level brake light. This is because there are only four wires running into the lid. On UK cars the wires are: Ground, Lights, Fogs, Reverse. On JDM cars they are: Ground, Lights, Brakes, Reverse.

On my JDM cars I needed to wire the inner two brake lights as fog lights to meet UK regulations. It was necessary to replace the 4 core cable with a 5 core cable: Ground, Lights, Brakes, Fogs, Reverse. I suppose that if you don't need rear fog lights then you can use them as brake lights without needing to replace the cable.

svxistentialist
08-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Yes Chris, you could have an Econ mode if you wanted to.

I have just done some study on the US wiring diagram vs the Australian one, and I now have almost sorted out how you US guys can wire up permanent Power mode.

The TCU makes its calculations on when to employ Power mode based on input from the TPS. This is a white wire that connects to B67 Pin 8, the smallest connector into the TCU, the 12 pin one.

What we have to do to trick the TCU into switching on the Power mode is to feed this white wire a 4.8 to 5.0 volt signal. The TCU will assume the throttle is wide open, all the time, and will leave Power permanently on.

Next, how do we feed a 5v signal to this line? Well, this is my idea. There are three wires going from the MPFI unit to the TPS, Red, White and Black. The white wire is the variable voltage signal that the TPS returns to the ECU and the TCU. The black wire is the earth. I'm willing to bet that the red wire is a 5V feed from the MPFI unit that the TPS modulates through a resistor.

Now if this red wire is a 5V feed, then what we do is connect a switch between the red wire and the white wire. When the switch is ON, the red 5v wire is fed to the TCU, voila!, full-time Power mode. When the switch is OFF, the white wire is fed to the TCU, and we are back to normal, Power will come on when the demand is beyond the set levels.

I'm willing to bet this will work, and tomorrow I will check the TPS red wire voltage to see if my calculations are correct.

However, we are taking Zavikan's thread way off topic, so when I check the voltage tomorrow, I will put up this how-to in the Technical forum so you guys can do a guinea pig with the wiring, wire in a switch and try the system out.

It will be fun if it works!!:D

PS I'm also fairly sure that grounding pin 4 will cause the TCU to go to Economy mode, no Power shift map.

oab_au
08-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Joe first I think there Are 3 maps, may be 4, in the TCU. Normal. Power and the one used be the Cruise Control. As our Aussie model does not use the Economy switch, this may be the same map as the cruise map. If it is not, then there are 4 maps.

The other is if you switch the white wire to 5V to hold the Power map, it will also hold the ECU at full throttle signal all the time. You would have to isolate the 5V signal from the ECU, and only allow it to the TCU.

Harvey.;)

-JJ-
08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
This is the rear light bar of an Australian Delivered SVX

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/JJ_Watkins/SVX%20pics/svx2.jpg

This is the rear light bar of the American Delivered SVX

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2089000-2089999/2089110_10_full.jpg

I purchased the american rear light bar for my SVX recently as the "fog" and reverse lights are in the opposite places!

Whats been called the "fog" light on aussie modles is just a blank space (no globe) and on the american models, when pluged stragight into the Aussie loom, the 'fog' light is actually just a rear light and break light!

My car now: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/whiiiz/2006puttyroadcruise044.jpg

The other difference i found is that at Aussie light bar has SVX in black, and the US one is in silver!

Not sure how i helped but it seemed useful when i started to write!

Edit: now i just re-read svxcess post, i basically just restated what he had to say, haha, oh well!

Cheers,
Jake

svxistentialist
08-31-2006, 02:55 AM
Joe first I think there Are 3 maps, may be 4, in the TCU. Normal. Power and the one used be the Cruise Control. As our Aussie model does not use the Economy switch, this may be the same map as the cruise map. If it is not, then there are 4 maps.

The other is if you switch the white wire to 5V to hold the Power map, it will also hold the ECU at full throttle signal all the time. You would have to isolate the 5V signal from the ECU, and only allow it to the TCU.

Harvey.;)

Hi Harvey,

I am not so sure you are correct in this, but I think I see what you mean.

What I said was there are only two shift maps in the software, Normal and Power. These two maps determine when the upchanges and downchanges happen depending on a number of inputs, and relating to the demand from the driver.

In the case of the cruise control, this controls the gearbox by the application of a voltage from the cruise control computer to B66 pin 3. When cruise is ON, this voltage is <1 volt. When OFF, it is variable from 6 to 10.[interesting that it is over 5 v, the range which reads the TPS, is it not?]

What Econ does is deny the use of the Power shift map, so I'm saying it is not a shift map in itself, just a blocking circuitry.

Likewise with the cruise control. It does not redetermine shift points. It merely sets parameters for steady speed driving conditions, and for over-ride of these conditions, but using the Normal shift control map. It may also deny access to the Power shift map, that would seem to make sense too, but I'm only guessing on that.

Spot on agreement on your last point. The variable feed voltage on the white wire has to be fed at all times to the ECU. The divert we make is only to the TCU feed, B67 pin 8. We feed it variable voltage for "on demand" Power mode availability, and steady 5 v for full-time Power mode. The ECU will not be affected, it will be reading the throttle position requirement through the white wire variable voltage feed on B60 pin 2.

PS Strange you Aussies did not get the Econ switch. The wiring for it is shown on the diagram you sent me!:rolleyes: