PDA

View Full Version : 250whp N/A?

BAC5.2
08-19-2006, 08:48 PM
What kind of power are the N/A SVX guys making?

I've been thinking of starting a new project, and I'd love to make good power without going turbo. Thinking around 250whp would be nice for now. I figure that would require some intake mods, exhaust mods, and tuning. But is 250 possible without heavy mods?

I'm not afraid of going turbo, I just would rather stay N/A, at least for the time being.

For those who DID go turbo, did you change your compression ratio? If I went this route, I'd think 8.5:1 or 9.0:1 would be pretty nice. It'd still spool really quickly based on displacement alone. I'd think a GT30-76 would be a pretty nice match for quick spool and the ability to make 300whp, but I've got MUCH more experience dealing with turbos on EJ20's and EJ25's.

I want to steer clear of turbo/supercharged setups simply because of the lack of air-flow for proper intercooling. I can work around that if I have to, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

SVXRide
08-19-2006, 08:51 PM
stay tuned....updated NA numbers should be available in a couple of months. Right now, we're starting to bump up against 200 Hp at the wheels.
-Bill

BAC5.2
08-19-2006, 10:16 PM
200whp huh?

Neat!

Dunkirk Maryland? That's close by! Swing by our shop one day when your in the area! I'd love to see a 200whp SVX!

Andrewtech Automotive
240-683-1000

All we do is Subaru's!

SVXRide
08-20-2006, 10:05 AM
200whp huh?

Neat!

Dunkirk Maryland? That's close by! Swing by our shop one day when your in the area! I'd love to see a 200whp SVX!

Andrewtech Automotive
240-683-1000

All we do is Subaru's!

Andrew (?),
I'll definitely do that! I grew up in Wheaton, so G'burg was in my larger "stomping grounds" while growing up. How far away from Altered Atmosphere's shop (8011 Cessna Ave) are you? That's where I've been doing all my dyno runs.
-Bill

BAC5.2
08-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Phil actually. Andrew owns the shop.

Altered is right down the street. If you are going straight onto airpark road, just make a right at Chenault and a left onto Rickenbacker. The unit is 7615, we are unit E. You make a right directly before the traffic circle, and we are on the back of the building on the right.

We do all kinds of ridiculous Subaru work, but the SVX is a car we haven't gotten into really.

SVXRide
08-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Phil actually. Andrew owns the shop.

Altered is right down the street. If you are going straight onto airpark road, just make a right at Chenault and a left onto Rickenbacker. The unit is 7615, we are unit E. You make a right directly before the traffic circle, and we are on the back of the building on the right.

We do all kinds of ridiculous Subaru work, but the SVX is a car we haven't gotten into really.

Phil (sorry, had to guess the first time;) ),
Your shop is now on my list! I'll make sure to give you a call next time I schedule some dyno time at Altered so I can drop by. You have anyone in your shop that's good at tuning? I'm still suffering from sticker shock from the $$ the Altered guys quoted me...
-Bill

BAC5.2
08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
We don't do a lot of tuning in-house.

We work hand-in-hand with TurboXS, but they just tune the UTEC.

What engine management do you have? You have a manual transmission, huh?

Phast SVX
08-20-2006, 11:40 PM
no lack of airflow for intercooling here.... 26x7.5x3.5 FMIC, 2.5" endtanks....
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Phast_SVX/34577.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Phast_SVX/32906.JPG

BAC5.2
08-21-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm no stranger to cutting, and I could probably make the room for air, but I don't really think that's suitable for my application.

black beast
08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Tell me,
Why not invest in the better liquid to air intercooler? It cools the air better and you don't have to have crazy intercooler piping as it will fit nicly between the turbo and the manifold.
All you have to pumb is a thin hose to the small radiator that comes with it.
alot simpler and you dont have to rearange the whole right side too.

mbtoloczko
08-28-2006, 11:10 PM
250 NA WHP is quite a bit. You'll need some pretty hot cams to move the HP peak out to around 7000-7500 rpm. I imagine that some headwork would be needed along with the other intake/exhaust mods. Torque probably will never be much better than around 200 ft-lbs of torque (as measured from a dyno).

SVXRide
08-29-2006, 09:28 AM
250 NA WHP at the wheels is quite a bit. You'll need some pretty hot cams to move the HP peak out to around 7000-7500 rpm. I imagine that some headwork be needed along with the other intake/exhaust mods. Torque probably will never be much better than around 200 ft-lbs of torque (as measured from a dyno).

Mychailo,
If I can get to 195 ft-lbs at the wheels I'll be very happy :D
-Bill

mbtoloczko
08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Mychailo,
If I can get to 195 ft-lbs at the wheels I'll be very happy :D
-Bill

Hi Bill. With the auto tranny, that's a pretty good goal.

shotgunslade
08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
My car G-Teched at 178 whp, before intake cams and before 5MT. Those mods ought to put me pretty close. If Michael's new chip does what he says, I definitely should be over 200 whp with it. Of course, that's just G-Tech, but the cars I'm going head to head with on the track on high speed straights, sotck 2002-2004 WRX's and E30 M-3's tell me the car is running strong.