Not bad lookin'.

Not comfortable looking, but it's not bad looking. :p :D

Subafreak
08-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Bill do you make womans dresses in your basment at night? :D

BTW: nice job on the seats.

Chiketkd
08-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Those seats look amazing Bill! Next season when I'm on r-comps, I hope to make it up to a few events with the WDCR SCCA, I'll definitely need to catch a ride with you on one of your early runs.

Question, can you change the trans in ESP? A nice 5/6MT would really help you close the gap on those Camaros! :cool:
LOL!!!! :D :D :D

Chike

sicksubie
08-05-2006, 08:44 AM
How hard will the install be? What rails are you going to be using?

shotgunslade
08-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Bill:

How are you mounting the 5 point harnesses? Do you have a roll cage installed, or, hopefully, you have a removable harness bar, so I can get the product information and copy you.

Dan

SVXRide
08-05-2006, 01:39 PM

Jesse,
Nope, took the pictures at the shop that did the work - owner works out of her basement. She splits her work between custom car interiors and uphostery on high end boats.
-Bill

SVXRide
08-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Those seats look amazing Bill! Next season when I'm on r-comps, I hope to make it up to a few events with the WDCR SCCA, I'll definitely need to catch a ride with you on one of your early runs.

Question, can you change the trans in ESP? A nice 5/6MT would really help you close the gap on those Camaros! :cool:

LOL!!!! :D :D :D

Chike

Chike,
No problem. Interestingly enough, I was reading back through the ESP rules yesterday and swaping in a 5/6MT isn't allowed, as the SVX never came with a MT. Adding a s/c is also not allowed. Good thing is that I can modify the body for any clearance I'll need for the 275s:cool:
-Bill

SVXRide
08-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Bill:

How are you mounting the 5 point harnesses? Do you have a roll cage installed, or, hopefully, you have a removable harness bar, so I can get the product information and copy you.

Dan

Dan,
I'm going to spend some time in my machinist's shop this coming week and a harness bar is on the list. I'd like to install one just aft of the top of the rear seat so people can still sit in the back (you can't remove the rear seat in ESP)
-Bill

SVXRide
08-05-2006, 01:54 PM
How hard will the install be? What rails are you going to be using?

SVXFiles supplied a pair of passenger-side rails that I'm going to modify to work with the seats (Thanks, Tom!). Jesse did the same when he installed the Sparco seats in his SVX.
-Bill

svxfiles
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Bill, they look GREAT!!!:cool:
This is the first moment I've had in three days to look at them.:rolleyes:

I can't wait to see them, and sit in them, in person.
How is entrance and egress?

SVXRide
08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Bill, they look GREAT!!!:cool:
This is the first moment I've had in three days to look at them.:rolleyes:

I can't wait to see them, and sit in them, in person.
How is entrance and egress?

Tom,
Actually, pretty good. They definitely have more "give" than the seat in Ben/Dave's RaceCar. Still, probably not what I'd want to sit in for a cross country trip, but that's what the Pearlie and its stock seats is for;)
-Bill

benebob
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Tom,
Actually, pretty good. They definitely have more "give" than the seat in Ben/Dave's RaceCar. Still, probably not what I'd want to sit in for a cross country trip, but that's what the Pearlie and its stock seats is for;)
-Bill

Watch it there hotdog (aka brick lover) I can sit in that race seat for at least 20 minutes without an issue provided the cabin temp is below 135 degrees.:D

mbtoloczko
08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Nice looking seats. Have you gutted the interior yet?

SVXRide
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Mychailo,
Can't gut it and stay in ESP. I can legally take the stereo and A/C out:rolleyes: I really don't have to "lose" much weight to get the car in line with the Camaros. Might be right where I want to be once the seats are in:cool: (okay, then I've got to start working on my own weight:rolleyes: )
-Bill

benebob
08-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Mychailo,
Can't gut it and stay in ESP. I can legally take the stereo and A/C out:rolleyes: I really don't have to "lose" much weight to get the car in line with the Camaros. Might be right where I want to be once the seats are in:cool: (okay, then I've got to start working on my own weight:rolleyes: )
-Bill

You can deboltify it though can't ya? 40lbs of bolts from ours!:D

SVXRide
08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
You can deboltify it though can't ya? 40lbs of bolts from ours!:D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
-Bill

wawazat??
08-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Nice seats Bill!

SVXRide
08-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Nice seats Bill!

Todd,
Thanks. Figured I needed better seats to take full advantage up future upgrades in the suspension;)
-Bill

NeedForSpeed
08-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Impressive project, love those seats!

SVXRide
08-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Impressive project, love those seats!

Ron,
Have to be well secured when the upgraded engine struts its stuff;) Any luck pulling those "other" engines apart?:cool:
-Bill

newsvx
08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Looking Good, Bill. I really like the seats!! Beautiful job on the uphostery too!

Fair day at the Mercedes autocross today - tough course today, very challenging to say the least. The fastest time of the day was 52.7 sec by a Honda S2000 (and an amazing driver). My best time was only 58.0 sec. A Z06 had a time of 1.5 sec faster than me. Yep, this was a LONG course!

And you should have been at Summit Point with us a couple of weekends ago. We ran the Shenandoah Circuit - 2 miles and 17 turns. Brutal on brakes - I had to replace my from pads before going home. They had only a few hundred miles on them when I started!!

Later,
Harry

SVXRide
08-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, both stock seats are out and I got as far as taking measurements for the plate I'll be using to adapt the seats to the SVX manual seat rails. My car was suffering from the dreaded "power window/sunroof/power driver's seat relay corrosion" problem, so getting the Driver's seat unbolted to the point where I could lift it up and get to the relay took a while. When I pulled the relay out from under the floor pan the wires weren't even attached - they had corroded all the way off!:eek: Crimped and insulated them, which allowed me to run the seat forward enough to get to the bolt holding the rail to the driveshaft tunnel.

Got the G-Force 5 point harness out of its box and it's going to be nice! A simple twist unlatches all but one of the lap belts.

-Bill

Duckie
08-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Wiykd you mind PMing me the measurements? I am going to need when I put in my sparcos ;).

SVXRide
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Wiykd you mind PMing me the measurements? I am going to need when I put in my sparcos ;).

18" x 14.5" plate with ~3/8 think spacers to lift the plate over the pieces that turn when you adjust the "forward-back" position of the seat. The spacers should be 2 1/2 " wide and 5" long. You'll have to work with exactly where the mounting points are on the Sparcos (they have side or bottom mounts, depending on the model). SubaFreak has side mount Sparcos in his SVX.
-Bill

Subafreak
08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Cool I cant wait to see them in the car!

I don't think I have any good pics of my mounting set up but I'm gonna have to take them out and repaint them soon so I will get some pics of them then for people looking to mount the sparcos. ;)

What did you pay for your belts Bill? Got any pics of them?

longassname
08-19-2006, 12:56 PM
It puts the lotion on it's skin

SVXRide
08-20-2006, 07:55 PM
well, I actually made some progress this weekend...just have to duplicate the through holes and "window" in the passenger's side plate and drill 4 through holes in each plate for the seat bolts....

-Bill (now one Ti drill bit #2...stainless steel plate eats them for lunch:eek: )
p.s. major thanks to Tom K and Ben for the seat rails!!....think I found almost $2 in change stuck in the rails:D

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/37744.jpg

Chiketkd
08-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Nice progress Bill!!! :)

benebob
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Nice progress Bill!!! :)

Hell his seat rails weigh more than our seat and rails combined. Then he has to double it!:D ;) . I hope he's going on the Chike diet plan!

SVXRide
08-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Hell his seat rails weigh more than our seat and rails combined. Then he has to double it!:D ;) . I hope he's going on the Chike diet plan!

yeah, yeah, yeah....I'm getting back into the gym tomorrow morning:p :D
-Bill

SVXRide
08-27-2006, 07:41 PM
okay, so it's only the Driver's seat:p

In general, what a PITB...would have been infinitely better if I'd had a drill press (one on order in support of doing the passenger's side:cool: ). After posting the last set of pictures it dawned on me that the race seats might be lower than the stock seats. A side-by-side comparison confirmed that the stock seats are ~ 2 inches higher:mad: . So, back to work on the mounts - turns out my machinist had some 1" x 2" steel tubing lying around that did the trick....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/37956.jpg

Two drill bits and one Craftsman 3/8" electric drill that is now almost beaten to death, the driver's seat is all done except for tying the shoulder harnesses back to a point above the rear seat (I'm going to fabricate a reinforced attachment point instead of using the child seat anchor).

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/37957.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/37958.jpg

-Bill (who can now drive his car to get the flexplate replaced:rolleyes: )

Chiketkd
08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
The driver's seat looks awesome installed Bill! Are you doing the installation at the rate of one seat per consumed box of Seagram's classic lime Magaritas?! :eek: :D

Chike

svxfiles
08-28-2006, 07:24 AM
The driver's seat looks awesome installed Bill! Are you doing the installation at the rate of one seat per consumed box of Seagram's classic lime Magaritas?! :eek: :D

Chike

Quoting Bill from our phone conversation;

"Yesh!:D "

LMAOABE!:D

SVXRide
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Chike,
I wish I could say "yes"....would have made it more enjoyable;)

Note to all considering a seat swap --- make sure to use only Grade 8 fasteners and steel for your load bearing pieces! This is not an area to cut corners, as you don't want the seat coming loose in the event of an accident.

-Bill

longassname
09-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Grade 8 on a subaru? What's going on up there in the NE? I think you meant 10.9 or 12.9 metric goodness.

Chike,
I wish I could say "yes"....would have made it more enjoyable;)

Note to all considering a seat swap --- make sure to use only Grade 8 fasteners and steel for your load bearing pieces! This is not an area to cut corners, as you don't want the seat coming loose in the event of an accident.

-Bill

SVXRide
09-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Grade 8 on a subaru? What's going on up there in the NE? I think you meant 10.9 or 12.9 metric goodness.

Mike,
Good point! The center hole on each rail has a metric thread, the hole at each end is just a through hole. I'm using a 10.9 "metric goodness" bolt in each center hole and a grade 8 nut/bolt at each end as they're easier to get and less expensive. The 4 bolts holding the seat to the SS plate are 12.9 metric bolts.
-Bill

SilverSpear
09-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Great seats Bill !! nice job and welcome to the club ;)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SilverSpear/36558.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SilverSpear/36559.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SilverSpear/36560.JPG

I still need to convert my babies to leather... but I have something more important to blow money on right now :rolleyes:

SVXRide
09-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Great seats Bill !! nice job and welcome to the club ;)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SilverSpear/36558.JPG

I still need to convert my babies to leather... but I have something more important to blow money on right now :rolleyes:

Danny,
Nice! What model are they? I see they don't have openings for a lap or "anti-submarine" belt. Did you have as much "fun" as I did installing them?:rolleyes:
-Bill

SilverSpear
09-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Hmmm, I dunno what model those are, all that I know is that they are cheap Chinese stuff (I wanted a couple of used Recaros at first, any color but I couldn't find any for sale), so I find those used for like 2 months but still in brand new condition.

What I liked in them is the design and especially the color!. My leather is very dark like UK specs, so the black was matching. As for the Grey suede... well same color as ours?? :rolleyes: :D :cool:

I don't need harnesses like yours, do you see how my stock harnesses flow with the upper seat design?
I had great time installing them, I had to fabricate chassis for them but I ensured they are as light and rigid as possible...