PDA

View Full Version : Piston removal

cdigerlando
07-28-2006, 02:22 PM
How easy is piston removal? Anyone have procedures from the service manual? (I need to get one of these soon). I have heard that they can be removed by removing the C clips through a port in the block. Is this true? If so accessing the center pistion must be a B***.

Phast SVX
07-29-2006, 07:16 AM
How easy is piston removal? Anyone have procedures from the service manual? (I need to get one of these soon). I have heard that they can be removed by removing the C clips through a port in the block. Is this true? If so accessing the center pistion must be a B***.

They must be installed with circlip pliars withe the crank installed into the block. Ive used a long needle nose pliars, but its not for the faint of heart.

phil

svxsubaru1
07-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Iam having a hard time finding it but some one wrote a how 2 on piston removal.

cdigerlando
07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
It seems like I have heard that you need some long thin C clip removers. Then remove the access plugs in the side of the engine. Then rotate the crank until the clips become visible. Remove the outer pistons first then the inner pistons? I believe there is a special tool to remove the pin. Then also there would be the actual removal of the piston. Maybe we can push it out from the pan?

Phast SVX
07-31-2006, 09:58 AM
you have the procedure down correctly. There are access holes on either side of the block, remove inners then outers, pistons will fall out. I didnt use actual circlip pliars but it would have been much easier.
phil

Hocrest
07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure how relevent this is, but HERE (especially page 2-3) (http://xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pin+tool&start=30) is a good write up, and photo's of a hand made pin removal tool that was done for an XT6.

cdigerlando
07-31-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure how relevent this is, but HERE (especially page 2-3) (http://xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pin+tool&start=30) is a good write up, and photo's of a hand made pin removal tool that was done for an XT6.

Thanks for the link!

svxsubaru1
07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
So to remove the center piston piston clip you just need some really long pliers?

cdigerlando
07-31-2006, 02:39 PM
In thinking about the procedure to remove the circlips. I can see how the outer circlips could be removed. But how to get to the other side? Do you have to reach through the pin itself to get to the clip?