PDA

View Full Version : Koni insert woes

SVX10
07-19-2006, 12:41 AM
I just removed my rear struts and replaced the K&B springs with Mychailo's springs for 5MT rides. Anyway, I re-assembled everything and installed in the car. Now I have a rediculous knocking from the driver's side rear. Strut top nut is tight as are all 3 nuts that hold the assembly to the body. I didn't do the 2 bolts that hold the strut to the hub, but my roomate swears he tightened both and I believe him.

So, I'm a little worried it's something internal to the strut.

Anybody have similar experience?
Anybody know how I can check my strut top mount?

Thanks in advance.

Mat

gtdanielgt
07-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Mat,

You lagger, when can I buy that little plastic piece from you for the rear window? ;)

Sorry bout the hijack... :D

SVX10
07-19-2006, 12:56 AM
What piece do you need? I don't even remember.

BTW...you're a lagger too...you still haven't been down to check out the rides.

Some additional info on this knock...

It's worse under deceleration (rear end unloaded)
It is louder over small road irregularities rather than defined inputs like lane markers.

One quick question...
COuld the little metal "hat" that goes between the top of the strut piston and the bottom of the inside of the upper mount make that kind of noise? I suppose it could. I'll check that first tomorrow. BUT, assuming it's not that, any ideas?

Mat

svxsubaru1
07-19-2006, 01:20 AM
One quick question...
COuld the little metal "hat" that goes between the top of the strut piston and the bottom of the inside of the upper mount make that kind of noise? I suppose it could. I'll check that first tomorrow. BUT, assuming it's not that, any ideas?

Mat

When i first installed my rear konis i dident install the hat and had clucks coming from the rear, as soon as i put them on they went away. It should be your problem.

SVX10
07-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Aight...I'll chegg it out tonight. Also, today on the way to work I remembered that I never fully tightened the lug nuts on that side :rolleyes: :o (they were at maybe ~30ft lbs). So, I'll check that first.

Anybody ever had problems with Koni internals? As long as it's not that, I'm cool with it.

SVXer95
07-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Have you checked the sway bar? How did the rubber spring seats look?

SVX10
07-19-2006, 10:28 AM
sway bar is fine. Spring seats are always tough to look at...I don't know how they're supposed to look. They don't have any visual damage. It's not collapsed or anything. I don't even know what I would look for on that.

Tim
07-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Wow. I have that same problem. For me it was a weird slapping sound and once I hit a major pothole now it squeaks and rattles like I have marbles in my rear deck. Mine was checked out and I do believe it needs the lower rear spring seating, as I have brand new struts, upper seating, and strut mounts but I didn't think I would have to replace the lower seatings.

Tim
07-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Wow. I have that same problem. For me it was a weird slapping sound and once I hit a major pothole now it squeaks and rattles like I have marbles in my rear deck. Mine was checked out and I do believe it needs the lower rear spring seating, as I have brand new struts, upper seating, and strut mounts but I didn't think I would have to replace the lower seatings.

mbtoloczko
07-19-2006, 01:22 PM
One quick question...

Mat

Mat, that hat is designed to distribute the load from the damper action onto the rubber center piece. If the strut shaft bolt is not tight, there can be quite a bit of rattling. A loose strut shaft bolt caused quite a bit of rattling for me when I installed new rear struts in my car. It was a more subtle rattle though, and it took me a while to realize that the bolt was not completely tight.

SVX10
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I checked the strut shaft bolt and I'm 100% sure it's tight. Plus, I have had the problem that you mentioned in the past...where I didn't have it completely tight and got the annoying rattle. This is definitely a different sound. In all honesty, I'm leaning toward the lug nuts not being tight. I've made that mistake on the front before, and it was basically the exact same sound. Thanks for the opinion, though. If the lug nuts don't work out, that hat will definitely be the next thing I investigate.

BTW, I really like the rear ride height. Compared to the K&B's, your springs are probably close to a 1" or 1.5" lift. My butt was sagging with those K&B's. Looks good! I could tell the spring guys must've been in a hurry to get these out because there was what appeared to be paint in the box from the springs (even though I thought they were powdercoated).

Oh...I think I still owe you some $$ for these, don't I? :eek:

mbtoloczko
07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I checked the strut shaft bolt and I'm 100% sure it's tight. Plus, I have had the problem that you mentioned in the past...where I didn't have it completely tight and got the annoying rattle. This is definitely a different sound. In all honesty, I'm leaning toward the lug nuts not being tight. I've made that mistake on the front before, and it was basically the exact same sound. Thanks for the opinion, though. If the lug nuts don't work out, that hat will definitely be the next thing I investigate.

BTW, I really like the rear ride height. Compared to the K&B's, your springs are probably close to a 1" or 1.5" lift. My butt was sagging with those K&B's. Looks good! I could tell the spring guys must've been in a hurry to get these out because there was what appeared to be paint in the box from the springs (even though I thought they were powdercoated).

Oh...I think I still owe you some $$ for these, don't I? :eek:

Glad the ride height is good for you. Sorry about the long wait. Yeah, I've received some sets of springs that are supposed to be powdercoated, but there are run lines on the springs. Not sure what is up with that. I have asked them before, and they swear up and down that the springs are powdercoated. I just looked at my PP history. You're right about more money. :-) Can you send me the balance on the springs ($187.50)?

Motorsport-SVX
07-20-2006, 02:53 AM
matt

its Dayle in tucson
Im in need of some used parts, email me when you
get a sec

thanks

dayle@motorsportwarehouse.com

SVX10
07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
It was the lug nuts. Thanks for your time, but it turns out I'm just an idiot :p

Pure_Insanity8
07-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Makes you feel dumb and fantastic that it isn't a "real" problem, though, doesn't it?:D

On a side note... do your Konis make a kind of swishing noise (from the rear ones)?

Earthworm
07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
On a side note... do your Konis make a kind of swishing noise (from the rear ones)?Mine do but not audible all the time.

svxsubaru1
07-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Mine also, but only rarely.

SVX10
07-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Mine do. It's audible with the rear parcel shelf and insulators removed, but typically not audible during normal driving.

gtdanielgt
07-21-2006, 06:58 PM
http://halpennystores.com/que.jpg

MAT,

Pavillions tonight mang?

SVX10
07-22-2006, 12:15 AM
It's tomorrow (Sat). I'll be going...you should join. I'm either taking my SVX or a 2007 Altima prototype. My roomate's taking his RX8. U can bring your SVX.

gtdanielgt
07-22-2006, 12:32 PM
It's tomorrow (Sat). I'll be going...you should join. I'm either taking my SVX or a 2007 Altima prototype. My roomate's taking his RX8. U can bring your SVX.

Ummmm lagger guy, have u not been paying attention? A idgit in an H3 hit my SVX...She ain't driveable right now. I can take me lovely dodge caliber rental car though :D :D :D