PDA

View Full Version : Hello

NZ_SVX
03-29-2002, 01:08 PM
Just a note to say hello to anyone else down under :)

I've just bought a Silver 95 SVX from a local dealer ... only got 150000km on the clock and is smooth as.

The forums have been a great help was able to read up about the car and test for all common probs during the test drive (i'm sure the dealer guy looked at little worried with me opening the kick panel and checking the CE codes out)

I live out in Titirangi, Auckland seen a couple of SVX's around ...

If anyones any recommendation where to get the car serviced and maybe a scrappy with some parts i'd be intrested to know.

Cheers
Conrad

svxistentialist
03-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by NZ_SVX
I live out in Titirangi, Auckland seen a couple of SVX's around ...

If anyones any recommendation where to get the car serviced and maybe a scrappy with some parts i'd be intrested to know.

Cheers
Conrad

Hi Conrad,

You are very welcome. Can't help you with the recommendations, as I am not actually from Down Under, I am Up Over here in Ireland.

Congrats on the purchase, these are really nice cars to drive. Silver is my favourite colour. Has yours a black roof? So far as I know, there are two silver shades available, a bright sort of aluminium one, and a far less common darker silver that came in two tone in the '92 models. Actually 3 tone if you count the black roof. That one is the colour scheme I fancy.

Trevor on here is from NZ, should be able to help. There is also Paul, but he is currently working in Gunma in Japan, the home of all things SVX. One of them will sort you out for sure.

Enjoy the fun!!

Joe:)

NZ_SVX
03-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Hey Joe,

Mines an all Silver version ... missus doesn't like the two tone look.

I'm impressed with the car no end, couple of minor issues but nothing to worry about. Already changed the stereo and the cars gonna get a good service (no history as its a Jap import)

The only thing I think the cars missing is a spoiler... next purchase I think.

I'm a northerner as well, born and raised in near Oxford in the UK, its just the whethers so much better down here :D

Aredubjay
03-29-2002, 09:52 PM
Conrad,
Allow me to be the first "yank" to welcome you to the SVX Network. We've tried to make this a true "World" community -- a place where all SVXers can come to share our common fanaticism with these automobiles. If you have any questions, any at all, please feel free to ask. There are no "stupid" questions here, so don't be shy.

I believe your fellow Aucklander is on Holiday for Easter, but you both should be able to have a good chat once he returns.

Again, welcome. We hope you make yourself at home.

Randy

svxistentialist
03-30-2002, 05:02 AM
Hey Joe,
I'm a northerner as well, born and raised in near Oxford in the UK, its just the whethers so much better down here :D
Hi Conrad
Nice part of the world, near Oxford is.
Did a lot of touring in the UK and I love it. As far as I'm concerned it's got everything Ireland has, and more where scenery is concerned, but the strong Sterling makes it a no go area.

Have done less world travelling than my friends in the last few years, but in European terms, I am a home bird anyway. Outside the subcontinent, there are only three places I would hanker to go; Cuba, the Rockies/Yosemite and New Zealand. Could probably fire in Sydney Harbour with the Down Under trip.

Like all things in this life, it will remain an itch until I set targets and decide to scratch. Agree with you about the weather. We are contemplating The Algarve in Portugal for our break this year.

Keep us informed what you are doing for the car. Most problems have been tackled and beaten before. Even the transmission. Nothing is impossible.

svxistentialist
03-30-2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Conrad,
Allow me to be the first "yank" to welcome you to the SVX Network.
Randy

Randy, I take it the parenthesis on the word "yank" are there because you are from Kaintuck??

No?

Joe:) :D

Jamsvx
03-30-2002, 06:36 AM
Welcome Conrad!

There are a few of us in this neck of the woods (I'm from Ireland but living in Sydney).....glad to have you aboard and congratulations on your purchase.

What colour/material is your interior (ie, the dash 'wood' and seat coverings)?? I am curious to see what level of SVX you have since the JDM market had a number of different versions.

Happy Easter

James

Aredubjay
03-30-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Randy, I take it the parenthesis on the word "yank" are there because you are from Kaintuck??

No?

Yessir. I could never call myself a "yank" outright. My ancestors would be spinning, as they say. :D:D:D

svxistentialist
03-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Oh Kaaayy

Just so we know where youall coming from.

No reflection on latterday yanks, but territory is territory.

NZ_SVX
03-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Not to sure what level i've got! Got the light blue suede with fairly dark wood paneling (need to change that at some point), dark grey cloth seats. Ummm electric everything cept the passenger seat, oh and no spoiler and some nice BBS alloys (16"). I'll get some pictures up once I get the digital camera from work.

BTW Anyone any idea how to lose the automatic door locking over 15kmh ? Driving the missus nuts.

Its been real nice to find such an active board for a car that wasn't really produced in great numbers.

Conrad

Aredubjay
03-31-2002, 10:39 AM
Oh Kaaayy

Just so we know where youall coming from.

No reflection on latterday yanks, but territory is territory.

Perhaps the only worse thing I could be called is . . . . . . . .
A COLONIST! :D :D :D

montypython
03-31-2002, 01:28 PM

Perhaps the only worse thing I could be called is . . . . . . . .
A COLONIST! :D :D :D

Noooo comment ;)

svxistentialist
03-31-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by montypython

Noooo comment ;)

Eggs-actly Colin

We'll leave his colon out of it!

Trevor
04-02-2002, 03:52 AM
Hi Conrad,

I will send you an email so, that you can give me ring.

Hi Joe,

Just to put you straight-- Randy is stationed at Fort Revor. He is inclined to put people crook on that one being from the South, but as I am a lot further south, the truly deep south, I was able to sort him out you see. Ask him, he has put it in writing !

Regards to all, Trevor.

P.S. Conrad now find that you have not enabled emails, however you can email me and I will send you a personal message.

Aredubjay
04-02-2002, 09:42 AM

Eggs-actly Colin

We'll leave his colon out of it!

Yes, Colin. My colon is not for discussion. Neither, I would think, is Colin's colon, nor Colin's cologne, nor colons from Cologne. Is there a colon college in Cologne, Colin?

(I really do need to get a life, don't I?:rolleyes: )

Ron Mummert
04-02-2002, 11:49 AM

Yes, Colin. My colon is not for discussion. Neither, I would think, is Colin's colon, nor Colin's cologne, nor colons from Cologne. Is there a colon college in Cologne, Colin?

Yes, Randy - I'm afraid this club has become you life's callin'

Ron.

svxistentialist
04-02-2002, 02:56 PM

Yep.

Or at the very least, a colonoscopy might be called for.

[Now we're gone real Deep South, with all due deference to Trevor]

svxistentialist
04-02-2002, 03:06 PM

BTW Anyone any idea how to lose the automatic door locking over 15kmh ? Driving the missus nuts.

Conrad
is sound advice around here.

US cars don't have this feature, nor, I think, do UK cars. Mine has it, and I accept it as a safety feature. It is annoying there is no switch to unlock the doors.

I believe later JDM cars have a switch on the instrument panel to unlock, '94 or '95, not sure when it was installed.

One of the UK owners recently disabled his by pulling a fuse, check the UK Yahoo! site, you will see the posts. This also disables your central locking if you can live with that. In his case, it did not matter. He had already fitted an aftermarket security system which had central locking as part of the package.

If you are putting in a security system, keep in mind you need one with its' own C/L. That way you can defeat the autolock.

Trevor
04-03-2002, 07:05 PM
Strange how every feature has to be modified by someone and I think often without proper thought.

I am very very happy to know there is auto door locking when my wife is out on her own at night. The slight inconvenience with unlocking I do not rate as being a factor negating the benefits of this feature.

Fitting an auxilliary switch as per later models should not be too much of a problem I am sure, but I do not rate the effort as being worthwhile. A switch (Probably a push button) could probably most easily be fitted at a convenient place in the door panel where the connection points should be accessible and mounting simple to arrange.

Conrad, if you wish to do this give me a shout.

Trevor.

Aredubjay
04-04-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Trevor
Strange how every feature has to be modified by someone and I think often without proper thought.

I am very very happy to know there is auto door locking when my wife is out on her own at night. The slight inconvenience with unlocking I do not rate as being a factor negating the benefits of this feature.

Fitting an auxilliary switch as per later models should not be too much of a problem I am sure, but I do not rate the effort as being worthwhile. A switch (Probably a push button) could probably most easily be fitted at a convenient place in the door panel where the connection points should be accessible and mounting simple to arrange.

Conrad, if you wish to do this give me a shout.

Trevor.

Trevor,
On the later USDM models (94-97), the lock/unlock button is located in the space between the emergency brake handle and the shift lever, on the console.

I am also a fan of the autolock feature, which is a feature the US models did not have.

Trevor
04-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Thanks Randy,

I was taking into account the physical difficulties of getting at the wiring and the desire of not wanting to mess the car about too much. Within the doors a connection to the the locking solenoid circuit should be easily accessable and a hole for a small push button would not be a major. If I had a wiring diagram as well as details of loom locations things would be a piece of cake.

Trevor.

NZ_SVX
04-04-2002, 08:33 PM
I do have a override button on the left hand side of the steering column however once the car has slowed below the 15kmh it becomes active once the car exceeds 15kmh again.

Also the the fact that the drivers door unlocks both sides however the passenger has to use the lock as pulling the door handle doesn't unlock it, or have I just found a problem with the car ?

Cheers
Conrad

Trevor
04-05-2002, 01:50 AM
Conrad,

I have not heard of an override button as you describe before, unless it is on the centre console as refered to by Randy. Could this have been added by a previous owner and it is not connected correctly ? Give me a ring as this is rather a long winded way of covering the subject.

Trevor.

svxistentialist
04-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Trevor
Thanks Randy,

I was taking into account the physical difficulties of getting at the wiring and the desire of not wanting to mess the car about too much. Within the doors a connection to the the locking solenoid circuit should be easily accessable and a hole for a small push button would not be a major. If I had a wiring diagram as well as details of loom locations things would be a piece of cake.

Trevor.

Hi Trevor. I have the US manual, and the wiring diagram is not ideal for checking this out. The US cars don't have the 15k feature, although the diagrams show a "door lock timer" module. In all likelihood, this controls the length of time the courtesy lights stay on while opening/shutting the doors.

The speed related lock id not likely a major mod. Probably when the speed is exceeded the ECU circuitry[which is reading speed all the time for various reasons] ensures a switch or relay is thrown which sends a live signal, probably to the driver's door {which closes/opens both}, and the doors are locked.

This signal will be sent every time the car passes the set speed, and the lock circuit is showing as open. Conrad obviously has the JDM model with the push to open switch, and it's not broken, Conrad, it would reset and relock every time you speed up. It is meant to be an aid to allow the driver to unlock for the passenger when the car stops.

If you are not using the power switch on the gearchange console, you might consider replacing it with a push to cancel type, and wiring it to the driver's door. This would be convenient.

Joe