PDA

View Full Version : To scoop the hood...or not to scoop the hood...that is the question....

nvrmore100
04-30-2001, 09:36 PM
What do you guys think about Impreze RS scoops on an SVX? I was talking to the guys here,

http://www.jcsportsinc.com

about possible turbo kits (which if anyone is interested...they are making a full kit with intercooler in about 2-4 months). We somehow got into talking about hoods, and how mine badly needs a respray. He got into talking about some other guy in Denver here looking to put RS scoops on his. It would cost appox $400-500 including all painting etc. I looked into a respray of the hood by itself elsewhere...which would cost me about $300-350. I figure for another $100 or so I could get the scoops/vents put in at the same time.

What do you guys think?

This is kind of what I assume it will turn out like (not painted): http://www.jcsportsinc.com/weight_reduct.htm#

Ryan

Stevebsy
05-01-2001, 12:13 PM
Paul (Rev Hard) had contracted out to have some carbon fiber hoods made up which had a scoop on them.

I'm not sure if you can still order, however, you would have to ask him.

Here is the thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162

Mr. Pockets
05-01-2001, 12:45 PM
It seems to me that putting a carbon fiber hood on is a good idea because you can save weight. But adding a hood scoop that doesn't do anything would offset your weight loss with increased drag.

If that scoop is necessary for an intercooler, then maybe it's worth it. But if you're just looking to make the car look neat, I guess to scoop or not to scoop is purely subjective.

Me, I'd look for a way to add a turbo and intercooler without making stuff poke out of the upper side of the car. Cutting in a hood scoop is just going to slow the airflow over the top of the car, adding to the lift that it already produces. That's going to slow you at high speeds and even affect handling. Even if only a little.

END OF LINE

museumquality
05-01-2001, 02:02 PM
what about more air flow for the trans? it will deffinetly assit in that, the drag won't be much anyway. although you guys in the wet states will need to figure out a system to consider this.

nvrmore100
05-01-2001, 04:14 PM
Well my original plan, if I went through with it, would be to get some type of ram air effect. I realize that the throttle bodies face the wrong direction, but with some creative plastic pieces, I'm sure I could work something out. At the very least, I would agree, it should remove some excess heat from trans/engine bay.

Honestly it was more of a looks thing, I just can't really picture what an SVX would look like with scoops...I'm thinking pretty good.

Ryan

museumquality
05-01-2001, 04:20 PM
the prob with directing air to the tb from that close could cause some probs, the placement of the sensor is in a certain place for a reason, heat, air current and other can get thrown off, when attemping this. but if you do try, just be sure to all original parts handy.

museumquality
05-01-2001, 04:32 PM
the air would need to be filtered of course, thats alot to shove into such a small area, i believe the sensor will get upset at this and the result no better/worse than stock position. as far as the turbo setup,. the scoop isn't necessary either. its for the look, and the fun of it. i din't mind either way on the carbon hoods. but i know i will benefit from the air flow to the trans. for those of you who have a after market k&n type filter, look for more noise on the street, we won't have any buffer insolation, it will be open and light, = noisey.

museumquality
05-01-2001, 04:47 PM
the air would need to be filtered of course, thats alot to shove into such a small area, i believe the sensor will get upset at this and the result no better/worse than stock position. as far as the turbo setup,. the scoop isn't necessary either. its for the look, and the fun of it. i din't mind either way on the carbon hoods. but i know i will benefit from the air flow to the trans. for those of you who have a after market k&n type filter, look for more noise on the street, we won't have any buffer insolation, it will be open and light, = noisey.

Jamsvx
05-01-2001, 05:30 PM
What about using a NACA duct? They are, from memory. shaped in such as way as to have minimal drag/turbulance effect - they are used on large aircraft such as the B52 and 747 to name just two.

They are shaped like the profile of the Concorde when viewed from above and sit flush in the panel/surface with the pointy end facing the direction of travel.

Perhaps use two, either side, with underbonnet ducting to the intercooler or wherever in the engine bay you wanted to direct cold air to.

Just a thought!

Jamsvx