PDA

View Full Version : If I were President, I would.....

Bipa
06-16-2006, 06:53 AM
So far we've mainly been talking about what's wrong without any real concrete suggestions about solutions and fixes. So how about taking a different approach for this thread.

If you were in charge, what policies would you pursue? What sort of legislation would you try to get passed?

It can be foreign or domestic, but try to keep it within bounds of reality, ok? :)

huck369
06-16-2006, 07:24 AM
So far we've mainly been talking about what's wrong without any real concrete suggestions about solutions and fixes. So how about taking a different approach for this thread.

If you were in charge, what policies would you pursue? What sort of legislation would you try to get passed?

It can be foreign or domestic, but try to keep it within bounds of reality, ok? :)

I'd give myself a big freaking raise, for having to put up with all the crap people gave me about my policies...no matter WHAT they were, as we (americans) as a whole are a bunch of whiners, and whine no matter what direction our leaders go.....that's my take on politics....that's why you couldn't PAY me enough to be a politician........but that's just me....:D

(Probably also why we don't exactly get the "Cream of the crop" in politics too)

Landshark
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM

why don't you start, Bipa? you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in, so how about telling us how you'd do it differently?

drivemusicnow
06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
why don't you start, Bipa? you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in, so how about telling us how you'd do it differently?

Are you hinting that you would not change anything? seriously, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Here are my top 5 things.

1) Push for legislature in order to reduce/eliminate the amount of frivlous BS lawsuits that happen.
2) Start working towards a new "UN" as the UN is horribly inefficient and ineffective
3) Foreign policy. Let's try to not piss of most of the world. And if a situation arises like Iraq 8 years ago. Come up with a plan, and follow it. Don't do the bull**** "oh they're not letting our weapons inspectors in so we'll just sit here for 3 years not doing anything. Clearly announce cause and effect (you do this, this happens) through the UN (or replacement). I think the idea of diplomacy has been lost recently.
4) reduce gov't spending. reduce gov't size. Let's face it... If the gov't were a business, they wouldn't last a year without someone else able to do all of the same things more effectively.
5) Change the tax law such that it is simpler, and more effective. I'd personally think that a sales tax based system would work better.

Now, obviously a President can't really do all of these things, however I think through influence and bribery they could be accomplished.

Landshark
06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Start working towards a new "UN" as the UN is horribly inefficient and ineffective.

i'd go even further - i'd kick the UN out of the US, and let some other sucker country host them. and i'd collect on all the unpaid parking tickets accrued by the deadbeat diplomats.

also as president, i would have taken over Saudi Arabia by force, and then i'd charge $50 for an all-day pass to Mecca. kids under 5 get in free, however.

WGJ
06-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Alan:
"why don't you start, Bipa? you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in, so how about telling us how you'd do it differently?"

Instead of making inane comments like this, why not take a little time to think about the way things are and what you think might really make things better. Bipa has enough respect and courtesy to ask for your honest opinion and your response is irrelevant (geographic location/citizenship) and rude:" you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in,".
Bipa provides the most cogent and well documented responses to any question she addresses, so her positions are much appreciated by almost everyone. I know that we almost allways disagree with Lee and we get into some intense exchanges...but I know (Well OK, I'm pretty sure) Lee respects Bipa because she does her homework.
You, on the other hand, just make thoughtless comments, often off topic, that rarely advance the discussion and are usually without merit.
Debate with FACTS, not BS.
WGJ

Landshark
06-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Instead of making inane comments like this, why not take a little time to think about the way things are and what you think might really make things better.
first of all, thanks for your 2 cents, Mr. Helper, but i wasn't asking you anything. until you can grasp simple concepts such as the quote button, i'll refrain from asking for your opinion.

so my comment was inane. how was it inane? Bipa is highly critical of our government, creates a thread asking for suggestions for solutions and fixes, but suggests none of her own, and i asked for HER suggestions. :confused:

Bipa has enough respect and courtesy to ask for your honest opinion and your response is irrelevant (geographic location/citizenship) and rude:" you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in,".

my response was completely relevant, and not rude at all. she criticizes the US all the time (fact), and she doesn't live here (fact). i don't understand your arguement. :confused:

You, on the other hand, just make thoughtless comments, often off topic, that rarely advance the discussion and are usually without merit.
Debate with FACTS, not BS.

i'd rather debate with some humor than page upon page of copy-n-pasted stuff that nobody reads anyway. ;)

Royal Tiger
06-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Here's mine:

1. No welfare after 3 years
2. No welfare unless you are a US citizen
3. Kick Puerto Rico to the curb, they can be thier own country
4. Must be able to speak and write English to be a citizen, vote, and drive
5. Kick the UN to france
6. Drill for oil in Alaska
7. Increase the CAFE to 30 for cars and 25 for trucks before the current 2015 deadline
8. Increase mandatory sentancing guidlines
9. Tort reform i.e. stupid lawsuits
10. 3 term limit in congress
11. I'd love to see mandatory military service like Switzerland
12. stop bending the will of the majority so the minorty doesn't feel left out (that covers any issue, not race)
13. Mass deportions
14. A new "modern era" constitution and a serious revamping of the bill of rights

That's a start

drivemusicnow
06-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Here's mine:

1. No welfare after 3 years
2. No welfare unless you are a US citizen
3. Kick Puerto Rico to the curb, they can be thier own country
4. Must be able to speak and write English to be a citizen, vote, and drive
5. Kick the UN to france
6. Drill for oil in Alaska
7. Increase the CAFE to 30 for cars and 25 for trucks before the current 2015 deadline
9. Tort reform i.e. stupid lawsuits
10. 3 term limit in congress
11. I'd love to see mandatory military service like Switzerland
12. stop bending the will of the majority so the minorty doesn't feel left out (that covers any issue, not race)
13. Mass deportions
14. A new "modern era" constitution and a serious revamping of the bill of rights

That's a start

I vehemently disagree with number 14. That is what the amendments are for. Just because the supreme court justices can't figure it out, doesn't mean that the document is to blame.

Suby Fan
06-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Here's mine:

That's a start

does that include drug charges? because that f-ed up already... they need to bedecresed... if we really care about getting people clean we would send tehm to drug teatment insteed of just locking them up for 10 years for having a bag of weed.... think about it... one gets in to drugs... goes to jail.. that on their record for a very long time making hard for them to rent get a job ect. ect. WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO TURN RIGHT BACK TO WHEN THEY GET OUT OF JAIL?!?!?! DRUGS!!! ITS THE ONLY THING LEFT THAT CAN BE DONE

Noir
06-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Let's see, to do list:

-I'd build a giant wall around the United States.
-Put landmines on the outside of the wall.
-Put up cameras and joystick turrets at 15 yard intervals.
-Arrest all the illegal mexicans and put them on a cruise ships destined for Iraq and Afghanistan.
-Reduce dependence on oil.
-Build more nuclear plants for power.
-Quit trading with China.
-Free Japan and Germany.
-Make Canada the 51 state.
-Build more nuclear bombs and develop an ABM system.
-Periodically bomb random countries to keep them from becoming too strong.
-Give convicts parachutes and fly them over hot zones. Drop cases of guns and ammo after dropping off convicts.
-Quit aiding foreign countries financially.
-Make goods in the United States FOR the United States like FUBU.
-Provide health insurance to all citizens.
-Continue draining brains from other countries (by force if necessary).
-Enact the 3 strikes program. If you screw 3 times, you get shot. No prison term longer than a year.
-Kill corrupt state and federal government employees.
-Raise taxes but provide better social services.
-Legalize prostitution.
-Outlaw organized religion.
-Outlaw drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and MSG.
-Impose price ceilings (low) on pharmaceutical drugs.
-Improve the educational system and require multilingual education. (3 languages minimum).

edit:
-To graduate from university, all students must make a B or greater on all Math and Sciences available.

will add more later. :)

Electrophil
06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
1: Balance the budget to a slight amount in the green. Allow time and normal inflation to bring our GDP to Debt ratio back in line.

2: Ain't no time for #2 in a normal 4 year election, and succeeding in #1 just destroyed any hope for a second term. I've done ticked off too many people in both parties by knocking off #1.

3: Hope like he11 somebody doesn't succeed me that will throw it all away like we just saw happen.

Electrophil
06-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh yeah!

4: Pull a Chris Rock, and make bullets cost $3,000 a piece. Crime would decrease dramatically, and as a side bonus, it would tick off all the neo-cons.

Yeeeeee---Haw!!! :D

Suby Fan
06-17-2006, 02:25 PM
thats not a bad idea... it would keep "gun collectors" from going postal

Royal Tiger
06-17-2006, 03:29 PM
thats not a bad idea... it would keep "gun collectors" from going postal

See, I thought you were just uneducated on the way things are, now I see you are totally off your rocker. "Gun collectors"? Yep, it's the guns killing people, not the idiots holding them. Here's a tid bit for you to ponder. That means to think about. More people are killed by drunk drivers then firearms. That includes the 2 killed by Ted Kennedy. I'm not trying to call you out, but come on, your post made no sense what so ever.

demonsvx
06-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Also my AK47 has NEVER come out of the guncase and went on a rampage by ITSELF! Its the people holding them which are to blame , guns are just more efficient in killing than knives,bats,tire irons, golf clubs, sticks, cars, etc.:D

WGJ
06-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Landshark:
"i'd rather debate with some humor than page upon page of copy-n-pasted stuff that nobody reads anyway."

As for not understanding the irrelevance and rudeness of your retort to Bipa, I really don't have the time to explain it to you. See if this works:

An argument is, to quote the Monty Python sketch, "a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition."

Most of your posts don't qualify as argument, and trust me on this, you're rarely funny.
WGJ

Landshark
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
As for not understanding the irrelevance and rudeness of your retort to Bipa, I really don't have the time to explain it to you.

i don't think irrelevance means what you think it means. let me make it even simpler for you to grasp:

Bipa says: "let's hear how you would do it better."

I say: "why don't you start us off."

Bipa is full of criticism, yet creates a thread about how to do things differently, and offers no solutions. i have no idea why you needed to jump in and defend her honor. i wasn't being rude. you'll know when i get rude.

WGJ........ "i don't remember asking you a g*****n thing!"
http://eurweb.com/images/articles/200411/samuel_l_jackson(pulp-fiction-med).jpg

See if this works:

An argument is, to quote the Monty Python sketch, "a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition."

Most of your posts don't qualify as argument, and trust me on this, you're rarely funny.

umm.....ok? i suppose your rants, way-too-long copy-n-pasted articles, and messed up thread quotes better qualify as clear, logical argument? :D :D :D

as far as being funny, if i amuse myself, that's all that counts.

drivemusicnow
06-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Let's see, to do list:

-I'd build a giant wall around the United States.
-Put landmines on the outside of the wall.
-Put up cameras and joystick turrets at 15 yard intervals.
-Arrest all the illegal mexicans and put them on a cruise ships destined for Iraq and Afghanistan.
-Reduce dependence on oil.
-Build more nuclear plants for power.
-Free Japan and Germany.
-Make Canada the 51 state.
-Build more nuclear bombs and develop an ABM system.
-Periodically bomb random countries to keep them from becoming too strong.
-Give convicts parachutes and fly them over hot zones. Drop cases of guns and ammo after dropping off convicts.
-Quit aiding foreign countries financially.
-Provide health insurance to all citizens.
-Continue draining brains from other countries (by force if necessary).
-Enact the 3 strikes program. If you screw 3 times, you get shot. No prison term longer than a year.
-Kill corrupt state and federal government employees.
-Raise taxes but provide better social services.
-Legalize prostitution.
-Outlaw organized religion.
-Outlaw drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and MSG.
-Impose price ceilings (low) on pharmaceutical drugs.
-Improve the educational system and require multilingual education. (3 languages minimum).

edit:
-To graduate from university, all students must make a B or greater on all Math and Sciences available.

will add more later. :)

I hope a few of those were jokes... I REALLY REALLY hope.

Landshark
06-18-2006, 10:09 AM
I hope a few of those were jokes... I REALLY REALLY hope.

i wouldn't count on it.

after he accomplished his bulleted points, he'd unleash his army of skateboarding crack monkeys.

Electrophil
06-18-2006, 12:39 PM
edit:

You are kidding, right? :eek:

Typical Math Exam required prior to Senior level Electrical Engineering classes:

Complex Analysis Exam (http://mathnt.mat.jhu.edu/exams/analysis-s05.pdf)

Students never learn this stuff, they just get used to it. :)

Suby Fan
06-19-2006, 11:20 AM
See, I thought you were just uneducated on the way things are, now I see you are totally off your rocker. "Gun collectors"? Yep, it's the guns killing people, not the idiots holding them. Here's a tid bit for you to ponder. That means to think about. More people are killed by drunk drivers then firearms. That includes the 2 killed by Ted Kennedy. I'm not trying to call you out, but come on, your post made no sense what so ever.

waco

Noir
06-19-2006, 12:22 PM
i wouldn't count on it.

after he accomplished his bulleted points, he'd unleash his army of skateboarding crack monkeys.

mah army of skateboarding crack monkeys riding on rabid horsefaced mules. ;)

Noir
06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
You are kidding, right? :eek:

Typical Math Exam required prior to Senior level Electrical Engineering classes:

Complex Analysis Exam (http://mathnt.mat.jhu.edu/exams/analysis-s05.pdf)

Students never learn this stuff, they just get used to it. :)

hey that looks fun :) :) :)

i've met quite a few students that's going to emory and gatech (cause those are teh skools around me) and let me tell ya. i'm skeered. kids going into engineering that's struggling with teh maf. :eek: i guess you really don't need teh maf going into premed....but if you can't grasp simple concepts, makes me wonder if they'll be any good finding out what's wrong wif me. :eek:

drivemusicnow
06-19-2006, 01:31 PM

i've met quite a few students that's going to emory and gatech (cause those are teh skools around me) and let me tell ya. i'm skeered. kids going into engineering that's struggling with teh maf. :eek: i guess you really don't need teh maf going into premed....but if you can't grasp simple concepts, makes me wonder if they'll be any good finding out what's wrong wif me. :eek:

I'm a current engineering student.

Couple things:

First grades are completely subjective. I got a 70% in calc two, (which by the way is the lowest grade you can get at my school before it is considered failing.) I taught this girl that I was friends with how to do most of her practice final. She had a 99% in her class because she had a different teacher. I knew more and could apply more, she got a 29% higher grade.

More things I disagree with:
-Make Canada the 51 state... Why?

-Provide health insurance to all citizens. Why in the hell would you give more responsibility to a gov't that can't manage to handle the easy jobs it already has?

-Outlaw organized religion. How can you be for some freedoms, and not others?

Outlaw drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and MSG. double ue tee eff mate

-Build more nuclear bombs and develop an ABM system. ABM, fine... more nukes? uhh... why don't we just keep the massive stockpile we have...

-Periodically bomb random countries to keep them from becoming too strong. yeah... cause that won't result in your assasination

Improve the educational system and require multilingual education. (3 languages minimum). I'm all about speaking another language... but considering the way the world market is right now, it seems like a pretty uneeded skill. If we had this huge need for translators, maybe... but that need just isn't there.

I consider these somewhat related. While yes, China is a serious industrial power, not trading with them will hurt us more than it will hurt them. We cannot support ourselves with the natural resources found only within the US, therefore we cannot make products entirely from and for us.

ehh, have to get back to work..

That is all

WGJ
06-19-2006, 08:02 PM

wonder if they'll be any good finding out what's wrong wif me. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I'm not a medical doctor, but I have a tenative diagnoses:

Too many bad acid trips. That would explain the stream of consciousness verbal nightmares and the strange syntax and bizarre spelling, (speaking of education).
WGJ

Electrophil
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
wonder if they'll be any good finding out what's wrong wif me. :eek:

Too many bad acid trips. That would explain the stream of consciousness verbal nightmares and the strange syntax and bizarre spelling, (speaking of education).
WGJ

Prognosis: Bad Karma due to your lack of sharing the medicals.
There is a fix. My address is:

Landshark
06-19-2006, 10:41 PM
wonder if they'll be any good finding out what's wrong wif me. :eek:

WGJ
[qwote/]

your posts look like a bad acid trip.

WGJ
06-19-2006, 11:54 PM
because I'm funny and you aren't.
WGJ

Landshark
06-20-2006, 01:15 AM
because I'm funny and you aren't.
WGJ

we're laughing AT you, though.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Landshark/35790.gif

Electrophil
06-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Crasy badd speelers.

WGJ
06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
be sure and tell him that you want a brain with logic and humor chips installed. That way you'll be able to think logically and you'll finally understand the jokes!
WGJ
Of course you won't want to be a Republican anymore...

Landshark
06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
be sure and tell him that you want a brain with logic and humor chips installed. That way you'll be able to think logically and you'll finally understand the jokes!
WGJ
Of course you won't want to be a Republican anymore...

i am not a Republican.

i will ask the wizard to grant you the skills of a lobotomied chimp who has been using the internet for at least two weeks. might fix your posting problems once and for all. :)

WGJ
06-21-2006, 01:39 AM
i am not a Republican.

i will ask the wizard to grant you the skills of a lobotomied chimp who has been using the internet for at least two weeks. might fix your posting problems once and for all. :)

So you're willing to admit you're a strawman seeking a brain but you won't cop to being a Republican? That's going to bruise some Republican's feelings.

So what is your political persuasion?
Bloc Quebecois?
Perot supporter?
Socialist Nationalist Afghan Party?
Junge Volkspartei?
Communist Party of Cananda?
Vapaan Suomen Litto?
Die Republikaner?
Green Party?
Constitution Party?
American Reform Party?
Pansexual Peace Party?
American Beer Drinkers Party? - That's my guess...you get belligerent after a six pack.

By the way, while you're dogging my computer skills you may want to use spellcheck. It's "lobotomized" or you could go with leukotomy.
Good night and good luck,
WGJ

Royal Tiger
06-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't you get nose bleeds form being so high on that pulpit? Just checking. Me personally, I'm a facist. Well I would modify the model somewhat, but it has the basics. The republic system has to many flaws. Well maybe I could go with a new republic based on more personal responibility. And dractic welfare cuts. I'd put the money in social security. Better to help the elderly who actualy worked for a living then the Puerto Ricans who have a SSN by birth and live of the tax payers as a way of life.

drivemusicnow
06-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Don't you get nose bleeds form being so high on that pulpit? Just checking. Me personally, I'm a facist. Well I would modify the model somewhat, but it has the basics. The republic system has to many flaws. Well maybe I could go with a new republic based on more personal responibility. And dractic welfare cuts. I'd put the money in social security. Better to help the elderly who actualy worked for a living then the Puerto Ricans who have a SSN by birth and live of the tax payers as a way of life.

First, I'd stop bragging about the "I'm a facist" thing. It has no appeal, and as much as I try to keep political opinions seperate from respect of a person, it is hard in this case. I'm not sure you understand facis, and how it actually applies itself in real life.

And, not to pick on you specifically, but seriously... signatures that are longer than the post... let's work on content over "LOOK AT ME" BS attached to every post.

And yes, I'm grumpy.. sorry

Royal Tiger
06-22-2006, 04:34 AM
I figured your in a mood Greg. No offense taken. The facist thing probably was overplayed, so sorry. It was meant to be satire. Although you can find some good point in all political theories once you isolate individual ideas. Although in practice even that is hard. I did think i made some valid points at the end. A republic could be my kind of governement, but one that reflects the actual wihes of the people it represents. This country has gone so far to make sure it doesn't offend the minority at the expense of the majority. And I'm not talking about race. Welfare is a legitimate issue and I belive the money should go to Social Security instead. Welfare should be a crutch for those who need it to get back on thier feet, or those truly to hurt to work. I'm sick and tired of dirtbag pos individuals I come in contact with being on welfare or SSI as a career.

As for the signature, it's not the longest, I checked, but it started with just listing the cars like everyone else with one slogan and one quote. All the add on mods was for Chike and I kind of liked it, so it stayed. Thanks to Bipa for adding color so you are visually entertained as well! :D

Cheer up Greg. It'll all work out in the end!

drivemusicnow
06-22-2006, 08:51 AM
I figured your in a mood Greg. No offense taken. The facist thing probably was overplayed, so sorry. It was meant to be satire. Although you can find some good point in all political theories once you isolate individual ideas. Although in practice even that is hard. I did think i made some valid points at the end. A republic could be my kind of governement, but one that reflects the actual wihes of the people it represents. This country has gone so far to make sure it doesn't offend the minority at the expense of the majority. And I'm not talking about race. Welfare is a legitimate issue and I belive the money should go to Social Security instead. Welfare should be a crutch for those who need it to get back on thier feet, or those truly to hurt to work. I'm sick and tired of dirtbag pos individuals I come in contact with being on welfare or SSI as a career.

As for the signature, it's not the longest, I checked, but it started with just listing the cars like everyone else with one slogan and one quote. All the add on mods was for Chike and I kind of liked it, so it stayed. Thanks to Bipa for adding color so you are visually entertained as well! :D

Cheer up Greg. It'll all work out in the end!

^ I agree. With all of it :p

Almost every political theory has merit to it. Communism/socialism is a good theory, however it doesn't work with human nature. Facism, IMO, has limited merits, and can never be a form of gov't that is good for it's people. good for the "nation" as an entity, maybe.

Plus, this is a "favorable" view on the party ideas:

"Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victim-hood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion." (Anatomy of Fascism, p 218)

Anyway, I have to go drink some corporate Kool-Aid and learn how to make powerpoint presentations... because I apparantly don't know how to use the program well enough after the last time we did this.:rolleyes:

Royal Tiger
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
I guess the facist model I was thinking of, really isn't facist. The National Socialists were by name Socialists. I don't condone what happened with the Holocost. If anything, it directly led to the fall of Germany as there were many loyal Germans that were killed merely for being Jewish. Those were people who could have fought for Germany against the real problem in the fist half of the last century, the Soviets. I favor a rigid police state in where the innocent needn't be afraid of the criminal element, and a system that doesn't bend over for the guilty, when the victims never had that luxorary. There must be rules for any society to survive, but they can't be flexible to the point you forget what they were in the first place.

Royal Tiger
06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh, and the signature is much smaller now! :D

WGJ
06-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Tonight Jay Leno interviewed a young woman.
He asked her " Do you know who Tricky Dick is?"
She answered, "Bill Clinton?"

WGJ

lhopp77
06-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Tonight Jay Leno interviewed a young woman.
He asked her " Do you know who Tricky Dick is?"
She answered, "Bill Clinton?"

WGJ

Thats a good one. I will have to pass it around. :)

Lee