PDA

View Full Version : Koni insert update

wawazat??
06-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Classic Garage is expecting 50 car sets of Koni strut inserts to arrive at Koni NA in Kentucky on 6/16/06 and then be shipped to them the following week. A number of sets have already been earmarked at Classic. I figured I would alert the crew.

Todd

SVXRide
06-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Todd,
Nice! Now, back to work on other things Koni-related:rolleyes: :D (enjoy Chicago!)
-Bill

TomsSVX
06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
yeah keep me posted on the "next" update about Koni products...;) :)

Tom

wawazat??
06-14-2006, 03:16 PM
:p

Working on them tonight...actually in about 10 minutes.:)

DanSVX94
06-14-2006, 04:33 PM
How much are the struts and how do they improve the ride?

mbtoloczko
06-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Its an insert that has to be installed into the factory strut bodies. Requires some drilling and cutting of the factory strut bodies. The Koni inserts provide firmer damping. They can be used with stock springs, but are best suited with springs that are stiffer than stock. With a spring that suits your driving style, the Koni inserts can provide a more controlled ride. Firmer yet not harsh. I sell the Koni inserts for $610 + shipping.

SVX10
06-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Konis also have adjustable rebound damping. This gives you some degree of tunability for different uses (track vs. street). The fronts are very easy to adjust (just turn a knob), but the rears are a bit tricky (remove strut from car, remove damper from strut assembly, fully compress damper, and turn the shaft one way or the other depending if you want more or less damping).

SVX PlayBoy
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi, sorry to jump in this thread, I didn't want to start a new one for a simple question.

My brake rotors are worn out and warped, and I need new pads. Reliable sites for performance rotors and pads? I was thinking e-bay for them. Would that be a good route, or just more horror stories.

Thanks, and sorry again for jumping in

SVX10
06-14-2006, 11:00 PM
wow...random.

I got my rotors and pads at www.raceconcepts.net.

SVX PlayBoy
06-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Well I warned you, thanks for the link

stallion
06-15-2006, 01:29 PM
mychailo: is that 610 per pair or per set of 4, installed in struts or uninstalled in struts? I really want the koni's but I know I am not mechanically skilled or equipped to cut into my struts to install em.

Earthworm
06-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Installation is extra. This is just the struts & bolts.

SVXRide
06-15-2006, 02:03 PM
:p

Working on them tonight...actually in about 10 minutes.:)

and???:D :D :D :D (drop me a PM)
-Bill

mbtoloczko
06-15-2006, 02:56 PM
mychailo: is that 610 per pair or per set of 4, installed in struts or uninstalled in struts? I really want the koni's but I know I am not mechanically skilled or equipped to cut into my struts to install em.

Its for a set of four Koni inserts and as Earthworm said, the hardware that comes with the inserts. Does not include the strut bodies or installation.

intellibomb
06-16-2006, 12:02 PM
mychailo,

do you still offer the whole strut setup still?

how much all put together, ready to install?

drivemusicnow
06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm soo out of the SVX loop... What are you up to wawazat?

mbtoloczko
06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
mychailo,

do you still offer the whole strut setup still?

how much all put together, ready to install?

Yes. Price depends on exactly what you want. Just a built up strut or a complete strut with stock or aftermarket springs? Send me a pm if you are interested.

SVXRide
06-16-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm soo out of the SVX loop... What are you up to wawazat?

Super secret, NASA SVC R&D project;) :D :cool:
-Bill (co-KONIconspirator....)

wawazat??
06-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Well, no joy in Mudville for me the other night:(

I'm looking for a solution that allows one to use both standard and coli-over springs. The coil-over springs have a much smaller inner diameter which is making this difficult. Tomorrow I break out the big guns (take it to my dad for review and noodling :D ) and see where it leads. He has a fantastic problem solving mind and much experience in a vareity of esoteric fittings so I am hopeful something may arise.

All that said, I believe I have a very cheap method for DA inserts with standard (ie stock, Mychailo, or K&B) springs using a selection of black iron pipe fittings. I'm slightly concerned about strength, but I believe that the only forces on the fitting components are those of trapping the insert in to the housing. As the insert is typically in compression to at least some degree and held in place, I would expect that the only serious force to the fitting piece would be if the car got airborne and the entire suspension, wheel, and tire weight were applied to the weld when the suspension reached full droop:eek:.

Todd

Beav
06-16-2006, 08:22 PM
That's when you do like the Brits and Swedes - employ nylon straps to keep things from flying apart. Run a loop around some part of the lower arm and secure the upper ends to the body.

Where's Mr. Goldberg when you really need him?

SVXRide
06-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Well, no joy in Mudville for me the other night:(

I'm looking for a solution that allows one to use both standard and coli-over springs. The coil-over springs have a much smaller inner diameter which is making this difficult. Tomorrow I break out the big guns (take it to my dad for review and noodling :D ) and see where it leads. He has a fantastic problem solving mind and much experience in a vareity of esoteric fittings so I am hopeful something may arise.

All that said, I believe I have a very cheap method for DA inserts with standard (ie stock, Mychailo, or K&B) springs using a selection of black iron pipe fittings. I'm slightly concerned about strength, but I believe that the only forces on the fitting components are those of trapping the insert in to the housing. As the insert is typically in compression to at least some degree and held in place, I would expect that the only serious force to the fitting piece would be if the car got airborne and the entire suspension, wheel, and tire weight were applied to the weld when the suspension reached full droop:eek:.

Todd

Todd,
Just in time for Father's Day:cool: :D Yeah, I was talking with Tom the Younger and he brought up the same issue with the coil-overs:( What if we went with a piece of tubing with internal threads and screwed the top inside the pipe? This way, we'd keep the OD constant. Probably just have to use one of those two peg spanners to tighten down the cap, as the rod coming out of the insert will be coming through the center of the cap.
As far as going airborne and seeing if things hang together, just leave that to me:eek: ;) :D
-Bill

TomsSVX
06-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Bill, that really isn't an option. Remeber that the inserts are going to be snug inside of the housing so threading them inside wouldn't really work. Are the dual adjustables the same height as the old singles? If they are, you can just use the outside... but if you want to use coilovers you are going to need to put the collar on and then weld the threaded collar above the coilover collar. Then you can insert the strut insert and use a cap to secure the top of the insert. The srping ID is going to be tight but we can definately make it work.

Tom

TomsSVX
06-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Hopefully this will explain what I mean, this a pic of my old coilovers, in specific, the front
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/TomsSVX/36529.JPG

Tom

SVXRide
06-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Bill, that really isn't an option. Remeber that the inserts are going to be snug inside of the housing so threading them inside wouldn't really work. Are the dual adjustables the same height as the old singles? If they are, you can just use the outside... but if you want to use coilovers you are going to need to put the collar on and then weld the threaded collar above the coilover collar. Then you can insert the strut insert and use a cap to secure the top of the insert. The srping ID is going to be tight but we can definately make it work.

Tom

Tom,
The internally threaded piece would be welded on to the stock housing and the internal threads will be above the insert. We could make the new piece slightly larger in diameter such that the ID of the threaded section is the same diameter as the ID of the stock housing - thus allowing the insert to drop in and the "cap" to thread down and lock the insert in.
Mychailo just clued me in that Dave Clark out in Washington state does the internal thread mod on all the Subi inserts he does.
-Bill

TomsSVX
07-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey, are the dual adjustables available?? If so, I may just get them soon and fiddle around with different ideas and see if I can come up with a way to secure them into the housings with the coilovers.

Tom

Stevebsy
08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Any updates on this? Looks like fun..and track season is approaching, so I need some new suspension!:cool: :cool:

wawazat??
08-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Making progress guys. I've received the nuts that Koni uses to trap the D/A inserts into the housings. I've found a low cost method of getting a threaded insert in to the housing, but the lead time is 4 weeks and then they will require some machining of their OD to fit. I'll get to a friends machine shop Monday for review of other methods to get the internal threads made that don't require the purchase of a $250 tap:eek: and may be quicker than waiting 4 weeks. Either way, this CAN and WILL be done:D

Todd

SVXRide
08-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Making progress guys. I've received the nuts that Koni uses to trap the D/A inserts into the housings. I've found a low cost method of getting a threaded insert in to the housing, but the lead time is 4 weeks and then they will require some machining of their OD to fit. I'll get to a friends machine shop Monday for review of other methods to get the internal threads made that don't require the purchase of a $250 tap:eek: and may be quicker than waiting 4 weeks. Either way, this CAN and WILL be done:D

Todd

Amen, Brother Todd!!
-Bill (Fellow Brother in the Brotherhood of SVX Suspension Mods:p )

shotgunslade
08-13-2006, 01:48 PM
When the time comes, sign me up.

gest24
08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Does anyone have the part #s for the strut inserts?

SVXRide
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Does anyone have the part #s for the strut inserts?

Kerry,
Patience....patience;) This is a totally custom job that is unlike the current Koni single adjustable insert. Todd and I are still discussing which Koni "race" insert makes the most sense, given what has to be done to the strut housing and the amount of "stroke" we're likely to have with the GC coilovers. The great news is that Todd has worked a fantastic deal with Classic Garage (authorized Koni distributor) -- we just have to have at least 4 people willing to commit to buying at the same time. Do you want to be added to the list (the current list is Todd, Dan, Young Tom, and myself)
-Bill

gest24
08-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to part #s for the single adjustables, lol. Sorry about the confusion.

TomsSVX
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Todd, Dan, Bill, and myself... me thinks that make fore:D ;)

Tom

Yoda3000
08-29-2006, 04:44 PM
did they give you a tentative price on that setup?

TomsSVX
08-29-2006, 04:50 PM
actually wait.. I cannot commit to buy right now but in the future... sure.

If I spend any more cashish on my car I think not only will my GF but the rest of my family will committ me to an asylumn so don't be so quick to sign me up

Tom

SVXRide
08-30-2006, 08:56 AM
actually wait.. I cannot commit to buy right now but in the future... sure.

If I spend any more cashish on my car I think not only will my GF but the rest of my family will committ me to an asylumn so don't be so quick to sign me up

Tom

Tom,
We're probably talking at least another month before we have to get serious with the $$. We'll probably end up not significantly higher than the cost of the single adjustables. Remember that you'll also need to factor in the ~$400 for the GC springs. I'm looking to be able to run them next season.
-Bill