PDA

View Full Version : OT Legacy questions

Mr. Pockets
03-27-2002, 02:44 PM
My wife has recently noticed a new quirk exhibited by her '90 Legacy wagon.

Ever since we got it, the car has had a loping (idle surging and then dropping, infrequently to the point of stalling the car) problem. I have removed the idle air control valve, cleaned it well with carb cleaner, and it has improved greatly.

Just recently, she said the loping problem has returned. So I intend to clean the same valve. Since I can't fit anything into the valve, I am sure that much of the grime was left behind. But now something new has popped up.

Yesterday, on the way to work, her car started losing power at over 75mph. She was cruising at 75mph when it just started to 'go slower.' Apparently the car would only keep up 70mph.

It has only done this once - yesterday. I drove the car for about 40 miles today and yesterday, mostly on the freeway, and did not notice the problem at any speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I have one more question. With the front wheels spinning, her car seems to take a second or two before the rear wheels get torque. I can actually feel it kick when they finally engage. It's a soft kick, but still there.

The ATF seems fine, but the car has been abused heavily. So is it just transfer clutches wearing out should I start replacing solenoids?* :)

* I know that you can't answer it definitively - a best guess will do.

Thanks.

Beav
03-27-2002, 04:14 PM
Don't just clean the idle air control valve, clean the entire throttle body. Deposits that don't allow the throttle blades to close completely freak out the TPS and the computer.

Hi speed problem could be fuel filter and/or pump. Try changing the filter if it hasn't been changed in a while, otherwise have the pressure checked.

You'll have to pick someone else's brain on the tranny issue.

Beav

Mr. Pockets
03-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Beav
Don't just clean the idle air control valve, clean the entire throttle body. Deposits that don't allow the throttle blades to close completely freak out the TPS and the computer.

Hi speed problem could be fuel filter and/or pump. Try changing the filter if it hasn't been changed in a while, otherwise have the pressure checked.

You'll have to pick someone else's brain on the tranny issue.

Beav

Thanks, Beav. Is carb cleaner okay to use on these parts? Do you have any words of wisdom so I do it right and don't wreck something?

Beav
03-27-2002, 09:00 PM
The fuel in the filter will be under considerable pressure, usually around 35psi for most cars, and will squirt out quite a bit of fuel. Pulling the fuel pump fuse or relay followed by running the car at idle until it dies (a few seconds) will reduce the pressure. Or you can tough it out like a real mech and create a huge fire hazard (not recommended. ;) )

Only use as much carb clean as necessary, the object is to clean the bore and the blade(s), not to rinse out the entire intake system. Spray a bit in and wipe the grunge out with a rag, repeating as required. Hold the throttle open with one hand or a rock on the pedal and get it clean. That's all it takes.

If the fuel filter doesn't do the trick consider having someone look at it. We typically charge one hour for such a diagnosis. As I said I'd start by checking the fuel pressure.

Beav

Mr. Pockets
03-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Beav
The fuel in the filter will be under considerable pressure, usually around 35psi for most cars, and will squirt out quite a bit of fuel. Pulling the fuel pump fuse or relay followed by running the car at idle until it dies (a few seconds) will reduce the pressure. Or you can tough it out like a real mech and create a huge fire hazard (not recommended. ;) )

Only use as much carb clean as necessary, the object is to clean the bore and the blade(s), not to rinse out the entire intake system. Spray a bit in and wipe the grunge out with a rag, repeating as required. Hold the throttle open with one hand or a rock on the pedal and get it clean. That's all it takes.

If the fuel filter doesn't do the trick consider having someone look at it. We typically charge one hour for such a diagnosis. As I said I'd start by checking the fuel pressure.

Beav

Beav,

Once I get the fuel filter, I'm reasonably sure I can find it. But just in case, can you tell me where it is?

Thanks

Beav
03-29-2002, 04:52 PM
Dang, I wish you had asked me earlier - I don't have that info here but I do at the shop. Check the owner's manual, sometimes it will show you. If need be I'll swing by the shop in the morning and find out (I'm off two weekends in a row! WooHoo!)

Beav

nubs
03-29-2002, 07:40 PM
Hey Pockets, I was just looking at my 93 Legacy and the fuel filter is in the same vicinity as our SVX's. Which is right near the master cylinder. Your 90 model year is probably the same.

Mr. Pockets
04-01-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by nubs
Hey Pockets, I was just looking at my 93 Legacy and the fuel filter is in the same vicinity as our SVX's. Which is right near the master cylinder. Your 90 model year is probably the same.

Thanks, Mike. I had no trouble finding it, but I appriciate the reply. The reason I asked was because I know that some Subarus have the stupid things under the car somewhere. The Justy's (if memory serves me correctly) is under the car by the fuel tank.