PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck

Seraph
03-27-2002, 10:51 AM
I got a couple of upgrades for my car. I installed the front speakers yesterday. I cut myself on the bloody factory speaker mount after ripping it apart. Great uh? I am going to install the white face at lunch and rear speakers in the evening.

How hard are the rears? I was told to put a day aside. Is it really true?

Lwin

Doogie
03-27-2002, 11:16 AM
My rear left speaker is rattling, and yesterday I tried to fix it but I couldn't figure out how to pull off the top part. Supposedly you fold down the seat and there are some black screws to take off and it will pop off, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I gave up on it for now.

Aredubjay
03-27-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Doogie
My rear left speaker is rattling, and yesterday I tried to fix it but I couldn't figure out how to pull off the top part. Supposedly you fold down the seat and there are some black screws to take off and it will pop off, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I gave up on it for now.

Nope, you only wished were that easy. You have to remove the interior side panels (yes, the parts around the windows) to reveal the screws on each side of the rear shelf. After the screws are out, there are "pop fasteners" on the front of the shelf. Pull up on those to release the shelf and slide it forward. That will reveal the rear speakers. To do it right, you should remove the back seat bottom, to get the side panels out. I didn't do this. I just took the screws out of the panels and pulled them back enough to access the screws. This presented another delemma: you have to be very careful when replacing the rear shelf, not to let the metal clips on the rear of the shelf, dig into your vinyl.

There is also one screw in each speaker (the ones in the corners closest to the windshield) that you'll need a right angled screwdriver (or, as I did, clamped a screwdriver bit from my drill/driver into a pair of small vice grips) to remove and replace.

It took me a few hours, but, this was in 97 Degree heat with all 190+ pounds of my fat butt crammed into the back seat.

Good luck.

Here's a good pic of the screw location with the rear panels removed, from zsvx's locker.http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/zsvx/382.jpg

Seraph
03-27-2002, 01:50 PM
Thanks Randy. I got the new Stereo in today as well . Took a nice long lunch break. One of these days... But I will try to see if I can get to the back speakers tonight. We'll see. The Blaupunkt's mp41 is a nice unit. It fits perfectly. That shows how much these morons at crutchfields knows. Great uh?

Lwin

Doogie
03-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Oh my...whos bright idea was it to make it so difficult? I really have to fix this rattle, with the slightest bass it rattles so much you can't even hear the music. Now it sucks to know i'm going to have to dedicate 2 or 3 hours to solve this stupid problem.

BLKSVX92
03-27-2002, 02:58 PM
the rears are a pain, get yourself a small right angle ratchet to get the speakers out. you have to remove the side molding under the windows as well as the entire back section.

hears a pic with the back portion off with my new speakers in, unfortunatly i wil have the pleasure of tearing in to it again to finish my stereo project.

Seraph
03-27-2002, 02:58 PM
Yeah I agree. Same thing with the front speakers. Who told them to weld them on? what were they thinking?

92_SVX_LSL
03-27-2002, 10:39 PM
when i put my fosgates in i thought that you would just have to take the speaker covers off, but when they didn't come off i thought that maybe you took them out through the trunk so i got in there but that wasn't it. so i got on the net to try to find out how cause i was praying to god that you didnt have to take off the back cover. but yeah you have to take the back cover off. i didn't have to take off the side panels i just bent them a little and wiggled it out, cause there was no way i was taking off the side panels too. but when i put the speakers in the screw holes didn't match up so i took silicone and put that around the edges and them put the two screw's in and called it good. it stunk for a couple of days but i just drove around with the windows down and sunroof open. I bought front speakers too but when i took off the door panels and saw that you have to make a special box to fit into the hole, i decided to put that off. still haven't done it either.

Aredubjay
03-27-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 92_SVX_LSL
when i put my fosgates in i thought that you would just have to take the speaker covers off, but when they didn't come off i thought that maybe you took them out through the trunk so i got in there but that wasn't it. so i got on the net to try to find out how cause i was praying to god that you didnt have to take off the back cover. but yeah you have to take the back cover off. i didn't have to take off the side panels i just bent them a little and wiggled it out, cause there was no way i was taking off the side panels too. but when i put the speakers in the screw holes didn't match up so i took silicone and put that around the edges and them put the two screw's in and called it good. it stunk for a couple of days but i just drove around with the windows down and sunroof open. I bought front speakers too but when i took off the door panels and saw that you have to make a special box to fit into the hole, i decided to put that off. still haven't done it either.

You don't have to make a special box. You can see where the weld points are. Use a drill to drill thos out. Begin with a small bit, then, go up a size, but make sure you don't drill to the edge. You may have to pry some of the holes apart, just be careful. IF you do happen to break a hole, all the way to the edge, just use one of the "screwclips" included with your speakers, place it on the backside of the hole (don't clip it over the edge) and put the srew through it -- and tighten it up against the bracket. I actually used screws left over from a venetian blind install, since the included screws were waaaayyy too long.