PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need landline telephone service!

NapaBavarian
04-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I've never had a landline before :eek: and don't have a clue where to go :( I always used a cell phone, but get no service at the new house :( so what companies are good, and who is bad?

intelisevil
04-15-2006, 03:26 PM
For land lines, typically only one telco is allowed to serve an area (no competition = higher prices). Thank you Uncle Sam . . . :mad:

Borrow friends cell phones to see which cell phone company has coverage at your new nome. It took me over seven years at my current home to get cell coverage.

How do you access the internet? I'm stuck with dial-up, on a good day I can connect at 28.8K, normal is 24.0K . . . :(

Good Luck,
Dan

Landshark
04-15-2006, 04:01 PM
How do you access the internet? I'm stuck with dial-up, on a good day I can connect at 28.8K, normal is 24.0K . . . :(

tell us how great livin' out in the country is again. :D

you can get DirectWay satellite high-speed internet if you have no other choice, but you'll pay out the ass for it.

RojoRocket
04-15-2006, 04:44 PM
The New AT&T is probably the only company serving your residence if you're not right in town Napa. 1-800-310-2355. Anyone else offering you service is just reselling theirs. If you have CATV they might also offer service over their own network, as well as broadband.

Glenn

intelisevil
04-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Napa - That's what I forgot to add when I was asking about internet access . . .

If you're lucky enough to get cable broadband out there, check into Vonage instead of a landline. If you can get DSL with a landline, you can still use Vonage for your long distance calls.

Landshark - I know about DirectWay, $OUCH$! My neighbor is talking about installing DirectWay and I may set up a wireless system to 'share' with him. :)

Can you go out into your backyard for legal target practice with real live ammo? I can! :D

Dan

Landshark
04-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Can you go out into your backyard for legal target practice with real live ammo? I can! :D

no, but more importantly, i can get to gas, groceries, and anything else within 5 minutes.

also, my choice of DSL, Cable, OR dialup. :p :p :p

intelisevil
04-15-2006, 05:26 PM
no, but more importantly, i can get to gas, groceries, and anything else within 5 minutes.

also, my choice of DSL, Cable, OR dialup. :p :p :p
OK, you've got me beat, my nearest gas, groceries, and anything else is about eight minutes away. :o

For any big files I need to download, I just take my laptop into work.

Damn, I need to fire up the chainsaw and cut up some more fire wood if it ever stops raining . . .

There are pros and cons no matter where you live. We (wife and I) made our choice and we love it!!! :D :D :D

Dan

NapaBavarian
04-15-2006, 05:44 PM
NapaCan you go out into your backyard for legal target practice with real live ammo? I can! : D

Dan

I think so :D but I'll be checking the ordinances :eek:

Town is 10-20 minutes away, 10 if the road is empty, 20 if I get stuck behind someone, on the motorcycle I often disregard the double yellow :rolleyes: arround 1 in 30 people I get stuck behind will actually yield right of way :mad: driving my big fat huge truck I am almost always the one in the back of the pack, rarely if ever to the pokey people who live up there stuck behind me :rolleyes: I have actually been stuck behind someone driving a tiny geo 21mph and all over the oncoming lane in the corners :confused: where I can easily drive my 8' wide truck and trailer 30-35mph and stay in my lane... that is my only real gripe.

Internet is not at the house yet, it'll be dialup for now :( faster than a snail taking a salt bath! My buddy has a phone, but with clients calling me I need my own line, and a local phone number would be very good, the cell number is located in Santa Rosa, an hours drive away, it is only 15 miles, but nobody realizes it is so close because there is a mountian between us :eek: so they see "santa rosa" on their phone bill and freak out... I may wind up with satalite internet and split the cost with my buddy, or just use slow service as an excuse to not spend so much time online :) as far as cable, I don't need an excuse to sit in front of the TV box, DVDs are the order of the day ;)

Bipa
04-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Never had a land line? :eek: Now that's what I call a generation gap :p

I resisted getting a cell phone for a very long time. The only reason I finally ended up getting one is because my sister-in-law got herself a new one with a built-in camera and gave me her old one. It doesn't have any contract with min monthly fees so you just buy time as you need it. The only time I ever use it is when I'm on a road trip - if I remember to bring it along :rolleyes:

This time when we moved I was a little smarter in my "basic requirements list". Top three were an extra room for a den/office, DSL, and walls. Err.... yeah... walls actually made the list because our last place was a very nice but small apt on the top floor where most of the walls were slanted. Couldn't put up our wall unit cause the wall was only about 3-4 feet high in most places! Never again. :(

So now we're out in the country, with no cable, no stores in easy walking distance, not even any public transit, but gosh dang it, I got me walls! :D

lhopp77
04-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Well I am 20 to gas or food by P/U (15 min by SVX). I might add that I always stay on my side of the center line. Cell phones will not work where I live and there is no cable or DSL.

But.........the advantages.

I have not locked my house in over 4 years even when gone for a week or more. All of my cars have the keys in them. I do not have to tie my dogs. I can shoot my guns to include my large game rifle (Remington 300 Ultra Mag).

And I have the attached views from my living room.

Lee

NikFu S.
04-16-2006, 03:22 PM
If you end up getting MCI or Verizon see if you can get my W2s from 2002. :rolleyes:

Who do you have available for your area?

NapaBavarian
04-16-2006, 05:33 PM
My cell is Verizon, but I believe ex-sbc, now at&t again, is the local landline provider.

My view :D

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL301/1677036/8593784/123353767.jpg

A deck and french doors are going in so we don't need to look at it through a screen from inside :D

Bipa
04-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Lee, for a view like that, I might even put up with dial-up :) Napa's isn't bad, but Lee's is breathtaking.

I'm down in a little river valley, so don't have such a nice panorama. Had a beautiful morning today, with a light fog rolling along the river. It was just starting to lift when I took the shot. The photo doesn't do it justice but here it is anyway. In the foreground is the mill stream which is diverted from the main waterway down in a dip just before the trees in back.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/35381.jpg

NapaBavarian
04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Napa's isn't bad, but Lee's is breathtaking.

I gotta talk to the neighbor, if we cut down a few trees it'll have a view like Lees :p

thundering02
04-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Just promise me youll never sign up with MCI.....should customer service (indian) ever get your account right....then you have to deal with 3 other departments rules which all state something else... My rec go with SBC have yet to have a single problem other than when the bill wasn't paid for like two months but I can understand when they cut my service for that...... (just a hint I currently work for MCI)

Landshark
04-19-2006, 12:16 AM
(just a hint I currently work for MCI)

no, you work for Verizon now. :p

Green1995SVX
04-19-2006, 12:25 AM
no, you work for Verizon now. :p

So do you. ;)

Bipa
04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Remember that pic I posted yesterday? Well today that same field was full of cows! Yup.... if they are there again tomorrow, I can even take a pic just for NapaBavarian :p

NikFu S.
04-19-2006, 02:25 PM
(just a hint I currently work for MCI)
Can you hook me up with a phone number or web url of someone or a place a former employee might get his 2002 W2s downloaded or reprinted or something?

Bipa
04-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Now how's that for a view out my window? :p
('course I did zoom it a little, they are on the other side of the bridge :) )

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/35428.jpg

Would anyone like to see pics of our baby goats? :D
The piglets are kinda cute, too!
(I'm overdosing on baby farm animals, and lovin' every minute! Especially since I don't have to take care of them - just enjoy and then walk away ;) )

intelisevil
04-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Now how's that for a view out my window? :p
('course I did zoom it a little, they are on the other side of the bridge :) )
Would anyone like to see pics of our baby goats? :D
The piglets are kinda cute, too!
(I'm overdosing on baby farm animals, and lovin' every minute! Especially since I don't have to take care of them - just enjoy and then walk away ;) )
Isn't that the best way to enjoy ALL types of babies?

Our menagerie includes a pygmy goat.

Dan

thundering02
04-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Can you hook me up with a phone number or web url of someone or a place a former employee might get his 2002 W2s downloaded or reprinted or something?

call your local unemployment agency they keep really good track of you.:eek:

I still address myself as being MCI and in honesty I'm actually a little lower and am technically a GC services employe with a 3 year contract :D

lhopp77
04-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I have been trying to get a pic of the Elk that come to the yard. Also, sometimes mule deer, too. My problem is that they generally come at night and are gone before light enough to take pictures. The only time I have seen them during the day was a surprise to both of us. Of course my dogs don't help the situation in the daytime since they are outside. But....maybe I will luck out one of these days.

Lee

shelfy
04-20-2006, 04:34 PM
crazy kids. :(

Bipa
04-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I have been trying to get a pic of the Elk that come to the yard. Also, sometimes mule deer, too. My problem is that they generally come at night and are gone before light enough to take pictures. The only time I have seen them during the day was a surprise to both of us. Of course my dogs don't help the situation in the daytime since they are outside. But....maybe I will luck out one of these days.

Lee

Yeah...Cows are a little easier to photograph than elk and deer :)

You could try setting up a motion detection camera, either with or without flash depending on whether you mind scaring away the animals. A friend had trouble with deer coming into her garden and nibbling at her plants, so with a cheap "surveillance" type of set up she not only got some nice pics but also got rid of some of her vegetable raiders. Didn't help with the rabbits though :p

I believe she said it cost under $100.

NapaBavarian
04-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Rabbit stew?

NikFu S.
04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
call your local unemployment agency they keep really good track of you.:eek:

I still address myself as being MCI and in honesty I'm actually a little lower and am technically a GC services employe with a 3 year contract :D
No kidding? I've never applied for unemployment or anything before. They'd have the number of the place I was at? I'll give it a go then.

NapaBavarian
05-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Got it ordered today :D last 4 digets are the same as my cell number, so only the first 3 digets are different :p

Weebitob
05-06-2006, 07:17 AM
My parents have IDT for long distance and seem to be quite pleased, you can check out their site (http://www.idt.net/) and I will eventually reply on what they get for some calls.