PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid Question: Mixing ATF + PS FLUID?

stallion
03-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Ok xcuse me for being a complete noob/idiot.

What color is P/S Fluid? And ATF Fluid? The fluid in the resevoir is clear at the time. If I were to extract it all out with a baster, what should I fill it with (which fluid is the best? Lucas? Any recommendations on the best thing to fill your p/s resevoir with?) Should I be concerned with the mixing of the 'clear' and the 'new' fluid I will be putting in? Any hazards? Or should I just flush the entire system of its fluids and fill it up with my 'new' fluid? I know mixing motor oil won't be too harmful but wasn't too sure how mixing fluids will affect steering and such... Especially if there's p/s fluid and you're adding ATF. Anything will help. Thanks!

Earthworm
03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
PS Fluid and ATF are very similar. Some will argue that the only difference is colour. I've used PS Fluid in my SVX without a problem. In fact I've probably got 3 different types of oil in my PS system.

dcarrb
03-13-2006, 02:52 PM
They're essentially the same thing, only you pay more for "power steering" fluid. I'd just start using Dexron ATF and forget flushing unless you have reason to believe that what's in there now has turned to sludge. A periodic pump reservoir drain-and-fill should do just fine. I've done mine twice in 30,000 miles.

dcb

Speedklix
03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
DC has a good flush plan. I'm one of the people who believe PSF will shorten the life of your rack. If you think it is due to be changed, go a head and do the flush. But please use ATF as the new fluid :D . PS probably won't hurt the rack if used for a short period of time or changed frequently, but I think it breaks down easier than ATF and clogs up in the rack, bubbles and leads to an unhealthy rack when they hit the presurized side on a regular basis.

svxistentialist
03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
DC has a good flush plan. I'm one of the people who believe PSF will shorten the life of your rack. If you think it is due to be changed, go a head and do the flush. But please use ATF as the new fluid :D . PS probably won't hurt the rack if used for a short period of time or changed frequently, but I think it breaks down easier than ATF and clogs up in the rack, bubbles and leads to an unhealthy rack when they hit the presurized side on a regular basis.

I'm inclined to agree here.

ATF is the higher specification of the two. Subaru are pretty specific in their warning not to use Power Steering fluid, to only use ATF, Dexron II.

I think the ATF has better heat capability, does not break down so easily. I also think that with ordinary PSF, you will get more of this cavitation business.

Having said all that, I reckon dcarrb is right, use a baster to replace what the reservoir holds, and don't worry yourself too much about it.

Joe:)

intelisevil
03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
DC has a good flush plan. I'm one of the people who believe PSF will shorten the life of your rack. If you think it is due to be changed, go a head and do the flush. But please use ATF as the new fluid :D . PS probably won't hurt the rack if used for a short period of time or changed frequently, but I think it breaks down easier than ATF and clogs up in the rack, bubbles and leads to an unhealthy rack when they hit the pressurized side on a regular basis.
I much prefer a Healthy Rack but some of the Pressurized ones look too unnatural . . . Never mind, that's another thread.;)

Dan

Speedklix
03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I much prefer a Healthy Rack but some of the Pressurized ones look too unnatural . . . Never mind, that's another thread.;)

Dan
Think i've seen that thread, some nice examples there :D

stallion
03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Thank You So Much Everyone!

svxistentialist
03-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Thank You So Much Everyone!

You are very welcome.

From a non san-itised jose.

Yay!!

Check out the other power steering thread they mention. It'll keep you pointing in the right direction....

:)