PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

Crysis
02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
It seems my power steering is going bad, making a whole bunch of noises. Well I want to replace it soon before I make a tight turn and all hell breaks loose :) Well, if anyone has a Power Steerin Pump for a 94 could you give me a PM or reply to this thread..thanks

huck369
02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
What model?
L , LS or LSi ?

ensteele
02-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Before you replace the power steering pump, look in the How-To locker and see how to replace the O-ring. That will probably fix the problem that you have. It is only a dollar part, but will mess the whole system up if it allows air into it. Good luck. :)

Here is the link to the How-To. (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14304.pdf)

Electrophil
02-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Before you replace the power steering pump, look in the How-To locker and see how to replace the O-ring. That will probably fix the problem that you have. It is only a dollar part, but will mess the whole system up if it allows air into it. Good luck. :)

Here is the link to the How-To. (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14304.pdf)

I second "what Earl said".

ensteele
02-04-2006, 10:03 PM
The pumps seldom fail, but the O-ring fails after 8 or more years. It will have lots of different symptoms. Give it a try first, it may save you lots of money. :)

Crysis
02-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the replies...The model is LSi, but i think i am going to try the o ring first. Always best to save money :) Would a bad o ring cause a loud noise in the pump though?

huck369
02-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the replies...The model is LSi, but i think i am going to try the o ring first. Always best to save money :) Would a bad o ring cause a loud noise in the pump though?

Yes sir...
A usuall symtom of a bad o-ring is PS fluid puddleing on the top of the motor under the PS pump, it the top of your motor (under the intake) is wet it is for sure due to a bad PS O-Ring.

And it will make it noisey....

Crysis
02-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Well their isnt any puddling around the power steering pump, just really noisy when cold and randomly when i drive around for awhile.

ensteele
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
It can be noisy, steering hard to turn, surge when you try to turn, fluid leaks, and many other not so good side affects. Let us know what you find out. I have found damaged ones to O-rings that aren't even there because they have been so bad. You will change out some of the tranny fluid at the same time which is also good to do from time to time. :)

Crysis
02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Well the sound hasnt come back since yesterday,however the steering still seems to get tough to turn at times. Maybe it is the speed sensitive steering??? Or the pump does need to be replace :(

Electrophil
02-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Either normal ops, or you are loosing hydraulic pressure somewhere... Or the pump is weak.

ensteele
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Well the sound hasnt come back since yesterday,however the steering still seems to get tough to turn at times. Maybe it is the speed sensitive steering??? Or the pump does need to be replace :(

It takes some time to get all of the air out of it. Is your fluid topped off? One other thing that comes question. What fluid did you use? Power steering fluid, or tranny fluid? That might make a difference. :)

Ricochet
02-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Did you replace the O ring? I had all your symptoms thinking it was a bad pump.. replaced the O ring and it was fixed.

Crysis
02-08-2006, 07:58 AM
I used the recommended ATF Dextron...i read I wasnt suppose to use power steering fluid. To be honest, the sound was coming from the pump because the two torx bolts on top of the power steering resevoir were very loose...I was able to unscrew them by hand and Im guessing the sound was air coming in from the O ring not being tight. So I tightened them up and so far so good...no sounds or anything. Crossing my fingers :)

huck369
02-08-2006, 08:23 AM
If they were loose, then the O-rings is toasted, or possiable completely gone....go ahead and replace the O-ring....it's only about 50 cents at your local parts place.

Crysis
02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Okay...thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the help

Aaron