PDA

View Full Version : Gtech Pro Results - STI Panel Filter vs Autozone Cone Air Filter

Myxalplyx
01-28-2006, 08:26 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~thomasck/HotAirIntake1.JPG

This filter was tested tonight vs using Chike's Sti Panel filter in the stock box. I was using Pocketlogger software to test the runs as well (http://www.pocketlogger.com/index.php?pid=plobdii) but my cord kept coming out so no lbs/min and ignition timing comparisons. :mad: At any rate, 4 runs were done total with two in both directions. Here are the results:

7:55pm, Outside temp - 48F, Autozone Cone Air Filter

North
15.4@93.9mph
15.2@96.2mph (Not counting this run)
15.5@94.6mph
North Average - 15.45@94.25mph
-------------------------------------
South
15.47@93.6mph
15.58@92.8mph
South Average - 15.53@93.2mph
Total Average of Autozone Cone Air Filter: 15.49@ 93.73mph
Note: The run not counted is the run I did not wait any time to let the cone air filter heat up. As soon as I stopped, I setup the GTech and went for it. So it is not a 'true' showing of coming to a stop for a bit of time and then gunning it. I let both intakes heat up a bit before taking off.

9:14pm, Outside temp - 44F, Sti Panel Air Filter

North
15.39@95.2mph
15.37@95.5mph
North Average - 15.38@95.35mph
---------------------------------
South
15.39@94.8mph
15.37@95.4mph
South Average -15.38@95.1mph
Total Average of Sti Panel Air Filter: 15.38@95.23mph

So overall the STi panel air filter was 1/10th quicker and 1.5mph faster than the Autozone air filter (with the exception of the run I did right after I stopped the car instead of letting heat soak in). The cone air filter was warm to the touch when I went to change it out for the Sti panel filter unit. Also to note is the inconsistency of the Cone air filter and VERY consistant runs of the STi panel filter. Pending ignition advance/retard was the same throughout, then heat must have played a part. Perhaps that is why the cone style filter logged the fastest time when not allowed to heat up.

I'd like to test them both on the dyno to see the difference in the power curve/delivery. With both intakes having the same temperature of air, things could be a little more interesting. I know putting a cone filter on my OBS causes the ECU dump fuel in the higher rpm range. If the Cone air filter makes more power on the dyno, then it HAS to be put into the fenderwell. So, that's all for now unless I forgot to post something up. I know I may get the, 'Kevin, we told you so' posts but you never know what you may get unless you test it out. Even still, sometimes different folks get different results based on a variety of factors. I'm just curious so I have to know.... :p

Chiketkd
01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Kevin,

When you did these runs what was your fuel load? Did you leave the spare tire and tools in the car? Also, did you unplug the two vacuum lines for the MAF bypass? Did you launch from idle, or did you power block and launch from stall?

Your times with the STI panel filter were what I would typically see when doing g-tech runs with a high fuel load and my spare tire & tools in the car. I also think you weigh 40+ lbs more than me...

Nice data! :)

-Chike

Edit: If you decide to move the cone filter inside the fender, you may want to fashion up a design similar to the one Dayle has on his Stage III cold air intake system: http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorsport-accessories/stiiiincoair.html

Myxalplyx
01-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Kevin,

When you did these runs what was your fuel load? Did you leave the spare tire and tools in the car? Also, did you unplug the two vacuum lines for the MAF bypass? Did you launch from idle, or did you power block and launch from stall?

Your times with the STI panel filter were what I would typically see when doing g-tech runs with a high fuel load and my spare tire & tools in the car. I also think you weigh 40+ lbs more than me...

Yes, I need to put out more details. All runs where done with a full load in the car (nothing removed). None of the vacuum hoses were removed since I thought this would not be an indication of driving around like I would normally do. No brake torque launches were done. I won't be doing any runs like that until I get a tranny cooler installed. That is too beautiful a setup with the 4.44's for me to go out and ruin it. ;) I simply mashed the gas pedal to the floor and let everything do as it should. Oh, and the car was kept in drive, no manual shifting.

The fuel tank was a 1/4 full when I did the first five runs with the cone air filter. With the STi panel filter, the fuel level was about 1/8th of a tank (Or just a tiny bit past the 1/8th mark). By the time I got to the third of four runs with the STi panel filter, it was past the 1/8th mark. Needless to say, I had to fill up after the runs. :rolleyes:

And yes, I weigh about 40-45lbs more than you. I'm a fat guy! :D

Chiketkd
01-29-2006, 11:30 AM
And yes, I weigh about 40-45lbs more than you. I'm a fat guy! :D
Very funneh! Let's just say folks he's taking a course to be certified as a personal trainer... ;)

-Chike

alltrac
01-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Is there any way you can do a sti panel filter vs OEM panel filter vs perrin foam panel filter?

AppStateSVX
01-29-2006, 01:19 PM
dont' forget the GREEN!!:D

Merz
01-29-2006, 08:02 PM
A comparison using the OEM filter would be great for those of us who are considering an upgrade, but arent sure if its worth the money. Just a thought. Thanks!

SVXRide
01-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Kevin,
Thanks for the comparison. I think you're confirming the fact that the EG33 likes its air from outside the engine bay;)
-Bill

AppStateSVX
01-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Kevin,
Thanks for the comparison. I think you're confirming the fact that the EG33 likes its air from outside the engine bay;)
-Bill

yeh but teh cone is fastar!!! an BLINGIN

SubyLuver
01-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Kevin,
-Bill

I havent really seen any Cold air intakes for the SVX that draw from the Fender, it seems that they are all just short ram intakes that draw from the engine compartment with a cone filter. Anyone have any info regarding something that draws from the actual fender area or would I have to custom fab this?

Subyluver

Chiketkd
01-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I havent really seen any Cold air intakes for the SVX that draw from the Fender, it seems that they are all just short ram intakes that draw from the engine compartment with a cone filter. Anyone have any info regarding something that draws from the actual fender area or would I have to custom fab this?

Subyluver
See post #2. I have a link there to a true cold air intake that Dayle sells on his site. I've seen it installed in Matthewmongan's SVX and the cone resides in the fender (shielded from the hot engine bay).

-Chike ;)

AppStateSVX
01-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I still think the best thing to do Is the Ram-Air that, I don't remember who - sorry- did. Putting the cone inside the fender is alsoa good idea though

SubyLuver
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
See post #2. I have a link there to a true cold air intake that Dayle sells on his site. I've seen it installed in Matthewmongan's SVX and the cone resides in the fender (shielded from the hot engine bay).

-Chike ;)

Ooops I thought that one was still in the engine bay, the web page didnt have too many details or a pic installed :D. Off the topic, I see all these times for the 1/4 miles, has anyone tried the gtech pro and if so PM me with whether it is worth it or not... Thinking of getting one...

Subyluver

AppStateSVX
01-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Ooops I thought that one was still in the engine bay, the web page didnt have too many details or a pic installed :D. Off the topic, I see all these times for the 1/4 miles, has anyone tried the gtech pro and if so PM me with whether it is worth it or not... Thinking of getting one...

Subyluver

several members have them and like them. If anything, it gives a comparison to where your car is. Numbers are just numbers if they don't mean anything to you. I remember an article in Sport Compact once disowning HP....

Myxalplyx
01-30-2006, 04:29 AM

Subyluver

If you get a G-Tech Pro, I'd recommend the version that has the dyno numbers as well. May as well go all out and get the best of both worlds. You can upload this data to your computer and get information that the magazines get (60-80mph, etc). It is good at comparing before and after results. Do not get caught up comparing it to someone's dyno results or 1/4 mile times. Compare it to what your other G-Tech results.

Chiketkd
01-30-2006, 07:08 AM

Subyluver
I'm with Myxalplyx. G-tech results are only good for comparisons with your other g-tech results. The 1/4 mile times you see in member's signatures are actual times that they ran at the dragstrip. ;)

-Chike

mbtoloczko
01-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I still think the best thing to do Is the Ram-Air that, I don't remember who - sorry- did. Putting the cone inside the fender is alsoa good idea though

SVXRide has a pretty nice one, and I just finished a temporary one on my car. Below are pics of mine. Looks ghetto, but it works. Using my manometer, I've logged a positive pressure at the throttle body with this setup, and I never had a positive pressure with the factory air intake. Low rpm torque is significantly better now. I can grunt the motor along all day at 2000-2500 rpm if I want. I just finished getting some Mr. Dyno data, and it backs up my butt dyno results. Torque is significantly up at 2000-3000 rpm, and HP is improved across the entire rpm range. The runs were done in 3rd gear on my 5MT SVX between 25 mph and 80 mph. I'll be posting the results in a new thread later today or tomorrow.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/mbtoloczko/33087.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/mbtoloczko/33091.jpg

AppStateSVX
01-30-2006, 11:38 AM
all you really need to do is secure the end of that hose, and then place a screen and it will look great.

oab_au
01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
If you get a G-Tech Pro, I'd recommend the version that has the dyno numbers as well. May as well go all out and get the best of both worlds. You can upload this data to your computer and get information that the magazines get (60-80mph, etc). It is good at comparing before and after results. Do not get caught up comparing it to someone's dyno results or 1/4 mile times. Compare it to what your other G-Tech results.

Yes spend the extra and get the RR model, $100 dearer, but you get the PASS soft wear with it that you can download HP,Torq, 1/4 mile, braking, cornering, graphs that you can overlay to compare the effectiveness of mods that you are doing.

Graphs like this, where new and old cams are compared.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/oab_au/32204.jpg

Harvey.;)

dmnknightomega6
01-30-2006, 07:28 PM
is the STI Panel filter from the WRX/Impreza? what year.

Is this better than the K&N drop in?

I like the cold air tube!! hehe...

Chiketkd
01-30-2006, 10:19 PM
is the STI Panel filter from the WRX/Impreza? what year.

Is this better than the K&N drop in?

I like the cold air tube!! hehe...
Yes, our stock airbox is the same as the one from the WRX & STI. There's only one high performance STI panel filter available and the part # is shown below:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/22963.jpg

I had both a K&N panel and STI filter in my car, and both seemed to flow extremely well. However, I noticed a slightly louder induction sound with the STI panel filter than the K&N.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/30151.jpg

The STI filter isn't cheap and has an MSRP of around $76 from Subaru.

-Chike

dmnknightomega6
02-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Is the Sti panel reuseable as the K&N? You mentioned that it did sound better but performance?

Thanks for all the info guys!

Chiketkd
02-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Is the Sti panel reuseable as the K&N? You mentioned that it did sound better but performance?

Thanks for all the info guys!
No. The STI panel filter is not re-usable.

-Chike

Myxalplyx
10-13-2007, 07:49 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~thomasck/mini-ToMyx-Spyphoto1.jpg

9:15pm, Outside temp - 52F, ToMyx Intake

North
15.27@96.2mph
15.42@96.5mph
North Average - 15.35@96.4mph
South
15.49@93.8mph
15.44@93.9mph
South Average -15.47@93.9mph
Total Average of ToMyx Intake: 15.41@95.6mph

***This post is just for data gathering purposes. In case I lose it on my computer***