PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a 5mt swap in upstate NY...

nysvxryder
01-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey everyone, i was just writing to find out if anyone had any info on any good mechanics in NY who have experiances with the 5 speed swap. since i'll be off to college next summer the last thing that i want is for me to get there and then have my orignal tranny go on me (119kmi). also, i was hoping to find out how much i should be expecting to spend. when i sell my modded '03 yamaha banshee i should have around $4000 sitting around and i think that that should be somewhere in the ball park of what i'll need. (if anyone's interested in the wheeler PM me:D ). thanks for any advice and keep me posted. and just a little thing that i've been wondering, has anyone ever attempted to swap a WRX STi engine and tranny into an SVX? that seems like it'd be nasty and i was wondering if it was even possible. anyways thanks again.

-Mike Gergich
Upstate NY

AvPPoW
01-22-2006, 03:08 PM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30976

nysvxryder
01-22-2006, 03:44 PM
thanks, thats very helpful, it's not something that i'm going to jump on right away but it's something that i'm seriously considering for the summer, i just thought that i could start getting things lined up before then. i'm thinking that i could also use some advice about what would be the best donor car to get the tranny from.

nysvxryder
01-22-2006, 03:44 PM
and all the other needed parts

mbtoloczko
01-22-2006, 05:05 PM
There have been quite a few recent threads by people doing manual tranny swaps. Have you done a search?

IMHO, the best donor car for a 5MT is an '04+ WRX. The WRX gearing is a good match for the SVX motor, and the '04+ WRX 5MT is the strongest of the USDM 5MTs. If you keep a look-out, its not too hard to find a WRX 5MT and all the needed parts for less than $1500.

AvPPoW
01-22-2006, 06:44 PM
There have been quite a few recent threads by people doing manual tranny swaps. Have you done a search?

IMHO, the best donor car for a 5MT is an '04+ WRX. The WRX gearing is a good match for the SVX motor, and the '04+ WRX 5MT is the strongest of the USDM 5MTs. If you keep a look-out, its not too hard to find a WRX 5MT and all the needed parts for less than $1500.

Agreed, but I thought '03 was when they widened the gears?

Here's a basic partslist.

Shifter + Boot
Pedal Set
Rear Diff (won't need for WRX)
Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders
Clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate
Flywheel + Bolts
Starter + Bolts

mbtoloczko
01-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Agreed, but I thought '03 was when they widened the gears?

Yep, I think you are right, but it seems that the switch was mid-year '03. I have a friend installing an RA gearset in an '03 box now, and the stock gears are the same width as the '02 gears he took out of my tranny.

AvPPoW
01-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Yep, I think you are right, but it seems that the switch was mid-year '03. I have a friend installing an RA gearset in an '03 box now, and the stock gears are the same width as the '02 gears he took out of my tranny.

Oh, I see. Gotta love subaru making things tricky :)

TomsSVX
01-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Thats why I told Shotgunslade to get an 04 wrx trans when I did his swap. he was making power over stock though so he needed it more than others

Tom