PDA

View Full Version : anyone with stage 1.4 have this?

DarknessofDeath
01-11-2006, 11:38 PM
after i have installed the ecutune v1.4 i've noticed that the car has this happening when i start the car. the car starts and the rpms goes up and down....giving it a little gas helps out the problem..

i've changed the battery - new battery..interstate..and had the altenator rebuilt just recently. there is a new fuel pump and the fuel filter has been changed as well.

it's recently over the last week or two i have the car stall out on me on a cold start....as if there isn't enough gas going into the engine on start up....
starting it again and giving a little gas does the trick.
but......to give a better idea....if the car was manual transmission....then i would say that there isn't enough gas going into the engine....

i kind of dont think that it's an electrical problem...which is usually what a tech would attack first (pick on the cheaper route-...well that's what they teach in school apparently)...but then again...that includes sensors too...

my guesses would be:
1) fuel pressure regulator
2) spark plugs???? (doubtful on that guess)
3) 02 sensor ?????
6) /////////// i have no clue actually.....??????

that's why = :mad:

AppStateSVX
01-12-2006, 09:15 AM
When is the last time you changed the plugs?

DarknessofDeath
01-13-2006, 07:24 PM
i got some vacuum hoses replaced today.
but i have to find out.
only having the car die out on cold starts...
but it did seem better even with the hoses changed.
weather is too unconsistent as well here.
thanks for the reply

BigBlueSVX
01-13-2006, 07:30 PM
I've had Stage 1v4 for quite a while now without any problems, and its never done anything like that. Don't know what it would be though, but I know it isn't the chip.

SubaSteevo
01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I have the same problem, which also started right after the chip install.

DarknessofDeath
01-13-2006, 09:39 PM
steve?
is it on cold starts? or all the time...
i didn't have the problem before hand either.....didn't make sense to me...
still doesnt....but...i'm losing a lot of confidence in my mechanics....
actually i would rather not have them work on my car anymore....but..it's only convenience....and nothing else...
i would work on it myself...but i just dont have the time and a garage .

i think it's something to do with the air fuel mixture or spark....(ignition coils?)
only thing that makes sense when starting a car.

DarknessofDeath
01-13-2006, 09:39 PM
does anybody actually know the symptoms of dying or dead igntion coils?>?

odepaj
01-13-2006, 10:56 PM
dying ignition coils would be rough idle, bad acceleration stuff like that. if it dies on cold starts i'd say the temp. sensor, my '95 would run fine but when the temps started dropping into the 40's to 50's it would start rough and die. had to crank it over acouple times before it would stop throwing a tantrum, then when it got into the 30's I killed the battery trying to start the car. finally got a new temp. sensor and my problem is gone. also, stage 1v4 in my ''92 and have never had problems involving the chip.

dustin

SubaSteevo
01-13-2006, 11:18 PM
dying ignition coils would be rough idle, bad acceleration stuff like that. if it dies on cold starts i'd say the temp. sensor, my '95 would run fine but when the temps started dropping into the 40's to 50's it would start rough and die. had to crank it over acouple times before it would stop throwing a tantrum, then when it got into the 30's I killed the battery trying to start the car. finally got a new temp. sensor and my problem is gone. also, stage 1v4 in my ''92 and have never had problems involving the chip.

dustin

I already replaced my temp sensor :rolleyes:

It'll happen on random cold starts, usually around every 4th start or so. RPMs will flare up then die completely, CE light comes on. Giving it a little gas makes it start ok.

SubaSteevo
01-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Just a thought, have you been running the 87 code? My past 3 tanks or so have been on 87 and the problem seems to be more frequent.

DarknessofDeath
01-14-2006, 05:20 AM
no i have the switched installed....but...i guess i will use it when i am absolutely poor...it would save me some money...since gas is about a dollar a litre here in toronto (for 87 octane)

....knock sensors?

well...i'll give the car a check now...i'm going off to work....
i'll reply back later...but i'm not sure how cold it is outside yet.
i'll keep whoever is following posted.

DarknessofDeath
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
nope...the car isn't drastically better....
but i think temperature is a factor...
maybe the temp sensor as odepaj said...
it's hard to tell.... i think the car wasn't taken care of very well from the last owner....
which is the reason why i have to fix everything.

DarknessofDeath
01-14-2006, 07:20 PM
my car is just like yours steve....
dead starts..gassed the f:mad: ck out it just to make it start.....but it was cold outside...-7C

no clue

MF

SubaSteevo
01-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm thinking it might be the fuel filter, will change that when I get a chance but probably won't be for a month or so.

In the meantime, if you figure it out let me know.

DarknessofDeath
01-15-2006, 04:06 AM
........//
i had the fuel filter changed a few months ago.......
...it's really hard to say...it's probably a different thing on both our cars.....
it's too bad we dont live close to each other....we can just start ripping the cars apart....
DIY rip your car apart//

well...i'll keep working on it...
i'll keep posting my progress

TomsSVX
01-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Change the temp sensor already would ya??

Tom

SubaSteevo
01-15-2006, 12:14 PM

Tom

I changed mine like a month ago to no effect

DarknessofDeath
01-15-2006, 09:48 PM

Tom

where is it?

SubaSteevo
01-15-2006, 10:27 PM
where is it?

Top of the engine, kind of under the throttle bodies, driver's side. It's a brown connector. If you do a search with my user name, there should be a post somewhere that has a pic of it's location.

DarknessofDeath
01-16-2006, 04:03 PM
thanks.
that's a little better than the farther view pic in the how to docs...

Merz
02-01-2006, 10:31 PM
I had a similar problem for a while. Now that i think about it, it started just after installing the chip. The problem seems to have stopped within the last couple months. The only thing i have done to the car during that time is change a coil that died. So the only suggestion i have, is that you might have a dying coil. Not sure how this would be related to the chip though. just my .02.

DarknessofDeath
02-01-2006, 10:37 PM
thanks for the info.
will get it checked out.

dwall25
02-26-2006, 04:53 AM
I have a guess on what the problem may be. First, who did the install and how did they do it? Were the wires soddered or just taped? If they were just taped it could be getting innerfeariance, *SP*, from a different wire. Another thing to look at is where your getting gas from. Some gas stations have a problem with getting water in their gas and it will cause the problem that your decribing. Go to your local parst store and get some fuel dry which will eliminate all water from your fuel lines and tank. When you do this you may also want to take off your fuel filter and give it a blow just to make sure its not plugged and to get the fuel out thats in their. Once you add the fuel dry make sure you wait a minimum of 30 minutes before starting so it has a chance to do its job. The last thing that I can suggest is checking your ecu and making sure that there are no loose wires that may be grounding out on the ecu casing. I am new to the SVX sceen but I had a problem like this with my last car, *98 Eclipse GST*, and it turned out to be a combination of having a loose wire that was grounding out on the ecu casing and using crappy gas. I hope this may help.

Dylan

svxcuseme
08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Was this ever resolved by you guys? Darkness? Steve?

NikFu S.
08-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I was actually going to post a thread about this today. Mine has been doing this for a while, RPMs going up and down on a cold start, and today it stalled and was a pain to start back up.

After ignition it wil jump to say 1500, then down to 500, then back up to over 1k then back down to below 600 and trip the lights, then up and down again before it settles on cold idle.

SubaSteevo
08-25-2006, 09:12 PM
My stalling went away after changing the MAF, but I still have a rough idle and CEL sometimes at start.

NikFu S.
08-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Weird, today I started it up and it idled perfectly. No fluctutation. :confused: