PDA

View Full Version : Engine flush...kerosene, atf, or what...

triumph1902
11-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I searched but found nothing. I am curious whether anyone has tried a kerosene flush on their SVX. I know it works well on lots of other cars..just a lil nervous to try it on the SVX for the first time.

If your not familiar with the kerosene flush it basically works like this:

-Drain old engine oil and replace oil filter
-Fill with 50/50 mixture of new oil and kerosene
-Idle the car for 5-10 min (don't rev just idle)
-Drain Oil/kerosene mixture and change filter again
-Fill with new oil
-Drive car 100 miles
-do one last oil change

This can also be done using ATF, though not as effective.

Manarius
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't think the Kerosene would be good for all the gaskets in the engine...

dcarrb
11-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd be afraid to try that on ANY car. I've heard of running a little ATF before an oil and filter change to supposedly clean lifters and such, but a crankcase half-filled with kerosene stikes me as way over the top.

dcb

wawazat??
11-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Never heard of it and wouldn't try it on any of may cars...I would be willing to try it on your car however :p :D

Todd

Ron Mummert
11-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I actually did this to a '53 Olds, because I heard from the "authorities" (other brainless teenagers) that the gunk would dissolve & I'd have a "mint" engine.
Even though the engine survived my attempt at mintness, the valvetrain now sounded like a drum & bugle corp minus the bugles.
Fagitaboutit.

Ron.

SilverSpear
11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Kerosene will mess up your gaskets and valve seals. But on the other hand I have been told that there is a product in which you soak your engine parts in and they become as good as new. All the sludge and residu would be dissolved... and it costs around $50 (at least over here) :confused:
That is you want to dismantle it...

Electrophil
11-29-2005, 01:04 AM
:eek: :eek: uhh....I....they.... What???? :eek: :eek:

triumph1902
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Kerosene will mess up your gaskets and valve seals. But on the other hand I have been told that there is a product in which you soak your engine parts in and they become as good as new. All the sludge and residu would be dissolved... and it costs around $50 (at least over here) :confused:
That is you want to dismantle it...

Yeah...I was afraid that the kerosene would damage the gaskets or any kind of coating in the engine. Looks like I'm going to chicken out and try it with ATF instead. Anyway if anyone wants to be braver than me.. you can read HERE (http://forums.probetalk.com/archive/index.php/t-4052.html) about some people who had success with it on a mazda engine.

benebob
11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Why not just buy one of the many engine flush treatments out there. They usually have either kero or diesel in 'em plus lots of other things to help clean out sludge and gunk. I've used them every time I've bought a car or put a new engine in. Just got done running some last weekend in my new XT6 engine. Works very good. The engine was a reseal 80k engine I put in. Dropped in 5 quarts of new oil and a quart of engine flush. Ran it for 15 minutes until it got nice and hot and drained. Oil was dark enough to have been run for about 1500 miles (and there wasn't a drop of sludge on the pan as I cleaned that up while the engine was off).

NapaBavarian
11-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I ran a treatment of engine cleaner once, don't know how it worked, if I was to do it again I'd get 2 cans, run it once with the existing oil, then drain pan, replace filter, refill with cheap oil and the second can of detergent.

The ATF idea sounds promising, a good number of diesel guys burn it in their engines mixed with the fuel oil #2 (diesel fuel) to clean the injectors and such.

SilverSpear
11-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Some mechanics just put one or two drops of ATF in the combustion chambers of the engine and crank it up, the combustion of ATF cleans the sludge which is deposited there...