PDA

View Full Version : Installed seat heaters this weekend

wawazat??
11-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Based on a request from Mrs. wawazat??, I intsalled seat heaters in our '95 L this weekend. I'll draw up an installation How-To for the locker, but reviews thus far have been positive :D

Bought the Rostra kits from Summit Racing for $98 per seat (two elements per kit, Hi and Low setting). Removed the seats and the covers, intsalled the elements and buttoned them back up, ran wires, and bolted it back together. Amazing how what took me a portion of two days can be summed up in one sentence :eek: :D

Todd

SVXRide
11-28-2005, 07:20 AM
what? you're saying it gets cold in Michigan this time of year? :rolleyes: :D
-Bill

wawazat??
11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
what? you're saying it gets cold in Michigan this time of year? :rolleyes: :D
-Bill

Not on our front seat cushions it doesn't Bill :)

Todd

mbtoloczko
11-28-2005, 07:52 PM
hmmm... Sounds nice. Can you hook up the seat heaters to your car alarm remote so that you can turn on the heaters before you get to the car? :-))

wawazat??
11-29-2005, 03:49 PM
hmmm... Sounds nice. Can you hook up the seat heaters to your car alarm remote so that you can turn on the heaters before you get to the car? :-))

Wendy likes 'em Mychailo and that's all that matters to me :D

I would think they could be wired to allow them to turn on with the car remote (2nd channel). I'm not that strong on wiring and used my fathers guidance via telephone when wiring them in (I know its a simple job, but I hate screwing things up on a Sunday night!)

Todd

SilverSpear
11-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Nice Job Todd, Mrs. Wawasat must be happy now so as your SVX :D looking forward to see the How-To-Docs for your Mod.. ;) :)

Tim
11-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Sounds like an awesome mod...

Do you have the part numbrs for this project? :)

sperry
12-01-2005, 07:28 PM
I interested in going this route as well, +1 for your how-to!

I'm really interested in the "Luxury" line from Check Corp.

http://www.checkcorp.com/seat_heater/products.asp

I've got remote start, so I'd much rather a momentary type switch so I don't have to wire up a relay or anything to have the seats activated by the remote start. Plus, I like the idea of a micro-controller for consistant heat, dual temp settings, and auto-turnoff.

Now if I could only find a place online that sells 'em!

On the other hand, that Summit kit is really affordable, and the west-coast Summit warehouse is local to me... hrmm... how about a review of the heaters' performance?

wawazat??
12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I've had a lot of vehicles with heated seats (European, Japanese and US) and these are BY FAR the hottest which is one of the reasons I chose them. My wife (love you dear, really!) has a comfortable temperature range of +/- 2 degrees. Anything I can do to keep her BTU level topped up during the winter only makes my life better :D

I'll work on the write-up this weekend and post it when done. Great mod for those of us in cold climates.

Todd

Earthworm
12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
I've learned to live with manual seat heaters :D

SilverSpear
12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Anything I can do to keep her BTU level topped up during the winter only makes my life better :D

Do you need heated seats for that??? :D :D :D

immortal_suby
12-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Heated seats make a huge difference on a long trip for soothing the back. I love the ones in the XT. It would be nice to add them to the svx

Tcat55371
12-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Heated seats? You guys drive your SVX's in the winter??? Kidding guys :)

Sounds like a nice idea. Always wondered why a car with heated mirrors would not come with heated seats. Oh well.

intelisevil
12-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Always wondered why a car with heated mirrors would not come with heated seats.
Especially since there's a spot labeled for the fuse . . .

Earthworm
12-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Heated seats? You guys drive your SVX's in the winter??? Kidding guys :)Winter is the most fun for driving the SVX. (well mine anyway) ;)

northernkanuck
09-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Hey Todd, did you ever get around to doing the write up on the seat heaters. I just picked up the heaters, switch and relay now I just need to figure out how to install them :confused:

Keith

ensteele
09-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Let me know when you get it done and I will put it in the How-To Docs. :)

wawazat??
09-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey Todd, did you ever get around to doing the write up on the seat heaters. I just picked up the heaters, switch and relay now I just need to figure out how to install them :confused:

Keith

:o sorry I haven't done it Keith. I'll try this weekend, but no promises.

Todd

gtdanielgt
09-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Anyone have any experiences with seat COOLERS? That'd be great for those of us in the southern region :D

Beav
09-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Ya, I do. Cheek chillers, as opposed to bun warmers, are an entirely different animal. Seats that employ chillers use TEDs (thermo-electric devices), similar to 12v refrigerators. TEDs use a small fan to circulate cooled or warm air. Seats with heat only use a warming element, my WAG would be some type of nichrome wire. Seats with TEDs require foam inserts that have ducted channels to allow air to circulate and perforated coverings to allow air flow. Lard-butts wreak havoc on 'climate-controlled seating' as the foam channels tend to collapse... well, you get the idea.

SLICK TRICK: visit the boneyard and liberate a TED or two. (found under the seats of Navigators, Aviators, Escalators, etc.) Get creative and rig up a chiller for your console storage bin, you know, to keep your shrimp cocktail and oysters chilled....