PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Shift Knobs

phoenix96
03-03-2002, 11:48 PM
Does anybody here have any experience with aftermarket AT shift knobs? For an example, see here:

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=CM-RA92&variation=&aitem=9&mitem=31&back=yes&dept=428

I would assume that the two buttons on the SVX shifter might cause problems using a universal knob like that.

EverclearAtMSU
03-07-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by phoenix96

I would assume that the two buttons on the SVX shifter might cause problems using a universal knob like that.

I dont belive that the 2nd (manual) button would cause a problem for this reason. The 2nd button is an electronic switch (correct me if i'm wrong on that one). Thus you could put it anywhere you wanted to in the car. It would be a matter of finding a switch you liked and that would fit where you wanted to put it. then when you changed the shifter taking the wires that run to this switch and running them to the new switch. That way you could still go into the "manual" mode when the new switch compleated the circuit.

B-Rad
04-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey, I'd like to know if anyone else has any experience in this as well, and I didn't want to clog the Forum any more with new threads.

A co-worker of mine told me a story of how he installed a cyclic stick from an AH-1 Cobra (Yes, the helicopter, and yes, the "joystick") into his Trans Am for his Automatic shifter. He also wired it so that the trigger started the car, the hat controlled the windows, and another button was for the horn. Granted this exact setup might not work for the SVX, but it's a bada$$ idea!

Anyway... Anyone know where I could find good information on how the SVX's shifter is set up and how to take it apart, put a different one in, etc?