PDA

View Full Version : 97 on Ebay

JeffN
03-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Anyone looked at the 97 greenie on ebay? 99,999,99 miles but lloks clean, "touch up" paint in spots he sez. Seems reasonably priced but add a new trans, bearings, etc from the anoymous history and...:rolleyes:

Snowbird
03-01-2002, 08:01 PM
Jeff,

Are you close to the dealership? If yes, can you go and check out the car - I can paypal and pay for your gas.
best regards - dean

JeffN
03-01-2002, 08:38 PM
About 3 hours + away unfortunately. My wifes from Merritt though...

Boone
03-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Nice color. I wish I could have found a green one when I bot my '96 in 2000. Get a carfax. High mileage should get you a break. There should be minimal probs with a '97 unless it was hacked on by a rabid tech or abused. B.

JeffN
03-01-2002, 08:45 PM
The 97 trans' are better sorted out? Considering cashing out of my M3 and buying this green hornet...nice to have 10-12k in the bank...

Boone
03-01-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by JeffN
The 97 trans' are better sorted out? Considering cashing out of my M3 and buying this green hornet...nice to have 10-12k in the bank...

The trannys were improved after the 93 model year if I recall the talk online. I think the key is to not beat the car up. That dosen't keep me from doing a drain and fill at each o/c and sniffing the dipstick regularly. Many still install aftermarket coolers, but I haven't seen mention of any failures in the later years. Bearings are greatly up to care and the technical expertise applied. IMHO

Beav
03-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Snowbird - Didn't the car in Springfield pan out? I've been meaning to ask you but my feeble mind keeps forgetting to follow up. ;)

Beav

Snowbird
03-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Beav,

Mark at Rick's is very helpful. He insisted the dealer must brought the car in for a thorough inspection for 75.00. The dealer said he's not willing to leave the car for more than 1 hour. So I suggested he make a lunch appointment but Mark refused. I got concerned so I emailed other winners to see if they were happy with their cars from the same dealer (He's only sold 3 recently). The first deal didn't go through. The second one was not happy because the car developed a transmission problem right after he drove it home. He posted a negative feedback. 2 out of 3 was too much for me, I don't want to risk being the third unhappy customer, so I asked the dealer to keep the money I paypal to him for the inspection as payment for his time. He sounded quite nice on the phone. Had the car were within a few hundred miles, I'd have driven out to check the car myself. In short, I'm still looking ;-)

Beav
03-02-2002, 05:20 AM
That certainly sounds flaky. If the dealer wanted to sell the car why would he be reluctant to leave it for more than an hour? Good call on passing that up.

Good luck on your search,

Beav

JeffN
03-02-2002, 07:15 AM
walks like a rat....you know the rest. I had a dealer in CA who asked which Sube dlr I wanted to bring it to for a checkout, nice guy.

JeffN
03-02-2002, 07:28 AM
The seller told me "touch up" paintwork but look at the ID palte on the door jamb and see the painted on fabic thread. Shows a masking mark on the ID plate and the thread looks painted on. Also the paint looks fresh and flecked with dust-nice paint job, almost as good as the original. No one "touches up" a door jamb..

Geok
03-04-2002, 08:14 PM
It looked like a good car. It seems some one did wind up buying it. I hope they enjoy it.

I looked at the pictures in the auction and that thread looks like it just got snagged on the rivet. I don't see any tape marks around the id plate or fresh paint in the jam. I have seen people paint in the jam of some cars. Usually the door sags and causes scratches in the jam or people getting a seatbelt stuck when closing the door. There are probably other reasons but those are the ones I've seen.