PDA

View Full Version : help with a prospective svx

london_31717
02-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Allright the svx I am looking at will run fine except that it will not do over 40 until the engine is warmed up.....................any thoughts on what this might be? I know I am new to the forum but any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks and hopefully in the near future I will be asking you guys about mods for my newly aquired svx

sorry for the duplicate post ..........

maximvsv
02-28-2002, 07:26 PM
The 4EAT transmission doesn't go to 3rd gear until the transmission oil temperature reaches the right temperature.

Aredubjay
02-28-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by maximvsv
The 4EAT transmission doesn't go to 3rd gear until the transmission oil temperature reaches the right temperature.

Correction. Doesn't go into 4th Gear until tranny oil reaches correct temp (appr 10 degrees C, or 50 Degrees F).

wasions
03-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Correction. Doesn't go into 4th Gear until tranny oil reaches correct temp (appr 10 degrees C, or 50 Degrees F).

Whaaaa? :confused:

First, I've driven my SVX when the tranny temp was less than zero (by a long shot), without shifting problems.

Second, the question comes from Georgia. I'm thinking his problem is unrelated to tranny temp.

Aredubjay
03-06-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by wasions

Whaaaa? :confused:

First, I've driven my SVX when the tranny temp was less than zero (by a long shot), without shifting problems.

Second, the question comes from Georgia. I'm thinking his problem is unrelated to tranny temp.

You will not have shifting "problems." 1st, 2nd, 3rd -- no problem. The transmission is designed not to shift into 4th until the tranny temp is at 50 degrees F. It's just built that way. I'd be glad to scan the page from the manual that verifies this, if you'd like. Better yet, I'll bring the manual to lunch some day. :)

alacrity024
03-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Well, this information about the transmission not shifting to fourth until it's at a reasonable temperature is all fine and good (I actually noticed mine doing just that this morning), but I think the problem lies deeper than the transmission. If indeed the vehicle refuses to go faster than 40mph until the engine has reached operating temperature I think there's something else going on.. I don't know motors well enough to diagnose the problem, but I can say for a fact that with my transmission in third gear, I have no problem breaking 40mph. Hell I hardly have a problem getting close to 100mph in third :)

-Adam

listed
03-09-2002, 02:48 PM
If the problem is indeed in the transmission, it seems as if it's not shifting out of 1st until warm. The car would be red lined at 40. if this is what you're experiencing, the trans is probably toast. if the transmission is shifting into the next higher gear then there is an electrical problem (perhaps someone installed an aftermarket governer?).
a little more info on what happens at 40 would be much appreciated.
Chris

92_SVX_LSL
03-22-2002, 08:05 PM
i live in Alaska and in the morning when it is really cold out my car wont shift into 4th either but the RPM's are still about about 2600. In 1 st gear i can go about 46 mph before i shift so i would think that either your tranny is shot or you need to dig deeper into that before you buy this car. because SVX's can become very expensive if not maintained.

maximvsv
04-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

They normally get to 3rd cold? Maybe mine is worse off than I thought.