PDA

View Full Version : I smell toast (or how I killed my engine)

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Last night (early morning) on my way home I toasted my engine. Don't quite know the details yet, but I'm guessing a major oil leak developed that allowed the oil to blow out as fast as I was adding more???

She got me close to home, but I had to walk the last mile. I'll know more after I get her home tonight.

:( :( :( :(

msvx95
09-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Add to your avatar that you toasted 1 engine.
Next you need to toast the rear end or something :p

TomsSVX
09-15-2005, 10:01 AM
dang.... Your stats are getting dangerously close to mine

4 trannies (2 auto 2 5mt)
3 engines (2 head gasket, 1 burnt valve)

Tom

Sidewinder
09-15-2005, 11:19 AM
4 trannies (2 auto 2 5mt)
3 engines (2 head gasket, 1 burnt valve)

Tom

Stats like this warrant a medal system in the community.

SVXRide
09-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Dave,

not satisfied toasting transmissions, huh? :(

-Bill

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Dave,

not satisfied toasting transmissions, huh? :(

-Bill

Nah... The smell of burnt ATF just aint gettin me off anymore... Now I need to smell that burnt 10/30...

So... can I take your car for a test drive on Saturday??? :D

TomsSVX
09-15-2005, 12:59 PM
smelling burnt oil is always fun... especially when only one of your exhaust pipes if blowing smoke... and a lot of it!! :D

Tom

svxfiles
09-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Nah... The smell of burnt ATF just aint gettin me off anymore... Now I need to smell that burnt 10/30...

You could drive my Pearlie, but it's box stock, (except for 4.44s) on maypops...

SVXRide
09-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Cough....I think Chike was looking for an experienced co-driver :D
-Bill

benebob
09-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Looks like we got us an engine to start building!!! Hmmm... 250 horses at the wheel while remaining in E Prepared should do nicely.

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 02:26 PM
You could drive my Pearlie, but it's box stock, (except for 4.44s) on maypops...

Thanks for the offer Tom, but I was just offering to kill Bill's engine literally. Rather than just the figureative Killing that the racer will be handing him on Saturday :D

SVXRide
09-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Okay, okay....

Ben,
250 WHP in the racecar would be freakin' awesome (might have to take it on the driftin' circuit :D )

Dave (aka "TurfKing"),
The only "killing" the racecar will be handing me on Saturday will be the time I kill helping push the racecar out of the grass... :eek: ;) :p
-Bill

wawazat??
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Wow, the smack is being handed out here mercilessly :D

Nice job on your aluminum welding experiment Dave :eek:

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Wow, the smack is being handed out here mercilessly :D

Nice job on your aluminum welding experiment Dave :eek:

I Have to do something to take my mind off the tragedy... Just like Bill will have to do on Sat night :D

Well I just got it home the last little stretch, so now it sits in my driveway... Now it's time to start figuring it out;

- The oil pan is overfull, Now I'm assuming that I was a little low when I first noticed, added and then when the symptoms got worse just added more oil, assuming that it was blowing it out somewhere. Honestly I can't say for sure if I checked the oil level after that original time.

- Last night about 1/2 way through the "10 miles of hell" I started getting a "oil pressure light" at idle. Any downhill opportunity I got, I would shift into N and let it idle or turn it off. It was also making a lot of valve type noise and an occasional bearing type screech.

- Towards the end last night and again tonight the engine will not rev freely in P or N. Nor would it accelerate beyond 2k with the trans in 1st/2nd.

- This is the 4eat that I recently lost 3rd/4th in. But I've still been driving around in 2nd and not running above 4k.

- Is it possible for a engine on the verge of seizing to NOT increase the coolant temperature at all?? My coolant temp stayed right in the middle... normal... the entire time this crap was going down.

- Tonight at one point as I crested a small hill, it seemed to "free" the engine slightly.

Now, after getting it home I had a thought... Is it possible that a bad torque converter and a binding/siezed input shaft could cause the engine to bind and stall, but still allow the car to coast in N???

Could this in anyway cause the timing belt to skip that would explain the valve noise????

GreenMarine
09-15-2005, 05:39 PM
WOW.... Sucks man.... Keep us posted :).... Hope that ya still get to the Challenge :)

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 05:41 PM
WOW.... Sucks man.... Keep us posted :).... Hope that ya still get to the Challenge :)

I'll be there. I wasn't planning on taking the SVX anyway due to the trans issues.

SVXRide
09-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Dave,
could the oil pump have gone out on you? Smack talk aside, I'm really sorry this happened to you...
-Bill

TomsSVX
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
WOW. Thats sounds exactly what happened to my motor. I just ripped it out and replaced it... I tore the engine down and still never found out what it was. assumed it was a burnt valve but never really looked into it

Tom

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Dave,
could the oil pump have gone out on you? Smack talk aside, I'm really sorry this happened to you...
-Bill

It's all in fun man :D

I'm questioning the oil pump as well.

but... I'm not sure if I'm just trying to give my self some false hope, but the more I think of this TC/input shaft theory, the more sense it could make???

If I try to turn the engine with a breaker bar and get a feel for the resistance, then unbolt the TC from the flex plate and see if that allows the engine to spin more freely????

Am I nuts and still in shock? or is this somewhat plausible???

TomsSVX
09-15-2005, 08:38 PM
doubtful. Are you burning any oil in exhaust?? check the oil for antifreeze and visa versa

Tom

SVXRide
09-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, it's worth a try...have you checked the coolant and oil to see if any fluid is where it's not supposed to be? The fact that your oil pressure light came on is NOT a good thing, as they're typically set fairly low (pressure-wise). The fact that it seems like you had plenty of oil in the engine and the light still came on leads me to think it's the oil pump.....
-Bill

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah... it doesn't make sense. But when driving it it feels like I'm driving a manual tranny with one foot heavy on the brake...

It feels like the engine wants to go, but something is holding it back???

I'll drain the oil tomorrow and see what comes out :eek:

Hocrest
09-15-2005, 08:56 PM
doubtful. Are you burning any oil in exhaust?? check the oil for antifreeze and visa versa

Tom

No smoke anywhere... exhaust or around the engine. I couldn't tell last night due to the fog and dark. But she was running for about 5 minutes tonight and I saw no smoke.

SVXRide
09-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Dave,
so she'll start up and idle okay? If this is the case, then I'd definitely look at that trans (especially since you have sooooo much experience replacing them...)
-Bill

TomsSVX
09-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I would say in the case of a solid idle... trans

the oil pressure light will come on when the engine is on the verge of stalling...if ur torque converter is locking up it will stall the engine much like you are describing... Check it out may just be the tc or a bad trans...in that case it is an easy and inexpensive fix

To

SUBBYRU89
09-16-2005, 08:59 AM
- This is the 4eat that I recently lost 3rd/4th in. But I've still been driving around in 2nd and not running above 4k.

You are such the fibber...I was your passenger when you had her on the back road with the needle above the 4K mark. Remember? :D

On a serious note all will be fine...don't fret.

benebob
09-16-2005, 10:43 AM
There is a torque convertor for like $10 with 25 shipping on ebay right now. I think it has like a day left at the most.

Subafreak
09-17-2005, 04:11 PM
There is a torque convertor for like $10 with 25 shipping on ebay right now. I think it has like a day left at the most.

Hell I have three of them you can have ;)

I hope it's not yur motor. :(

Hocrest
09-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Hell I have three of them you can have ;)

I hope it's not yur motor. :(

Sold :D

I'll see ya Saturday at Connie's :D

Hocrest
09-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Finally got into her tonight :rolleyes:

Turning the crank with a breaker bar, there doesn't seem to be any more resistance than normal and no funny noises. Once I disconnected the TC from the flex plate there was very little difference. Next I pulled the starter and the TC can be easily spun by hand. I drained the oil and have started to strain it to see if anything interesing is in there.

What else can I check? I know the trans has to be replaced. If I have to replace the engine also, I'd like to do it at the same time. What else can I check with the engine to see if there is an internal problem???

oab_au
09-28-2005, 06:22 PM
If the engine has dropped oil pressure, and seized or tightened up, the oil that was between the seizing surfaces, will be burnt. Take the filler cap off and smell the crankcase. If it smells burnt, it is. No burnt smell, it may be ok.

Harvey. ;)

SVXRide
09-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Dave,
You might want to go ahead and drain the oil -- this will allow you to do two things at once --1. smell it to see if it's burnt (per Harvey's suggestion) and 2. see if there's any antifreeze in it (to see if you've blown a head gasket)
-Bill
p.s. you might want to hook the starter back up and start the engine to see what happens with the TC disconnected

huck369
09-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Dave,
You might want to go ahead and drain the oil -- this will allow you to do two things at once --1. smell it to see if it's burnt (per Harvey's suggestion) and 2. see if there's any antifreeze in it (to see if you've blown a head gasket)
-Bill
p.s. you might want to hook the starter back up and start the engine to see what happens with the TC disconnected

The starter ring is on the TC, so you can't start it with the TC unhooked....

I'm betting it's a tranny/TC issue

Hocrest
09-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Dave,
-Bill

I drained it earlier, it doesn't smell toasty :)

There was no coolant in it, and I saw no gunk in the radiator or tank.

I'm filtering it through a rag to see if I can come up with any metal particles...

p.s. Thanks for that other tip :rolleyes: :p :D

SVXRide
09-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I drained it earlier, it doesn't smell toasty :)

There was no coolant in it, and I saw no gunk in the radiator or tank.

I'm filtering it through a rag to see if I can come up with any metal particles...

p.s. Thanks for that other tip :rolleyes: :p :D

D'oh! blame it on my "American Iron" upbringing...
-Bill

Hocrest
09-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Good News!!!!! :D

At the bottom of the oil pan I found "Gold Dust" :eek: :D
I figure I can sell this dust to help pay for the new engine :mad:

... So this brass is a bearing I guess?? Time to lift the block and drop the pan? Or should I just plan on replacing the engine?

huck369
09-30-2005, 07:59 AM

... So this brass is a bearing I guess?? Time to lift the block and drop the pan? Or should I just plan on replacing the engine?

You can probably replace the engine cheaper than repair that one....

TomsSVX
09-30-2005, 10:09 AM
eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww main bearings.... Nasty failure and very expensive to replace. I would say you found your problem

Tom

benebob
09-30-2005, 10:50 AM
eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww main bearings.... Nasty failure and very expensive to replace. I would say you found your problem

Tom

And found us a good source for an engine to build. What did you ever do with that hunk you killed Tom?

TomsSVX
09-30-2005, 12:00 PM
the block is still in the basement. Heads I gave to Bill at the Challenge. Still trying to find a cheaper source for main, con rod bearings pins rings etc... I would love to build the block for 9.0-1 CR for the turbo project but I need to find bearing that won't cost $1k for just con rod and mains

Tom

SVXRide
09-30-2005, 08:02 PM
And found us a good source for a boat anchor. What did you ever do with that hunk you killed Tom?

Ben,
Fixed your post.
-Bill
p.s. now I see why you sent Dave off to Florida...you don't want him driving the Race Car! :eek: :D :D

benebob
10-01-2005, 09:19 AM
now I see why you sent Dave off to Florida...you don't want him driving the Race Car! :eek: :D :D

No he's scouting out for the $2006 GRM Challenge where we can still spend another $300 and still be in the sub $1000 catagory. $600 if we sell some more stuff.

SVXRide
10-01-2005, 02:36 PM
No he's scouting out for the $2006 GRM Challenge where we can still spend another $300 and still be in the sub $1000 catagory. $600 if we sell some more stuff.

Ben,
Really? I figured Dave was just going down to Disney World :rolleyes:
You know, we could probably work a deal with the 275s so they show up on your "official" books in a benefical manner :cool:
-Bill

benebob
10-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Ben,
Really? I figured Dave was just going down to Disney World :rolleyes:

Not really, actually a potential sponsor flew him down to talk $$$.

oab_au
10-01-2005, 05:40 PM

Hi are you sure it is brass, check it with a magnet. The bearings in the engine an made out of whitemetal/steel, no brass used in anything that I can think of, in the crankcase.

Harvey. ;)

SVXRide
10-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Not really, actually a potential sponsor flew him down to talk $$$.

Does the "potential sponsor" wear white gloves and have abnormally large ears? :rolleyes: :D
-Bill

benebob
10-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Does the "potential sponsor" wear white gloves and have abnormally large ears? :rolleyes: :D
-Bill

I wish, but then again we might get our potty mouths sensored then! :D

SUBBYRU89
10-02-2005, 11:36 PM
-Bill

Dave didn't talk much about his reasoning for Florida, but he did send me a PIC...hmmmm is this the future sponsor or is he just having a good time? We'll have to find out when he gets back. :D
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SUBBYRU89/30185.jpg

SVXRide
10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Dave didn't talk much about his reasoning for Florida, but he did send me a PIC...hmmmm is this the future sponsor or is he just having a good time? We'll have to find out when he gets back. :D
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SUBBYRU89/30185.jpg

I see Dave has a biiiiiig smile on his face :rolleyes:
-Bill

Hocrest
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi are you sure it is brass, check it with a magnet. The bearings in the engine an made out of whitemetal/steel, no brass used in anything that I can think of, in the crankcase.

Harvey. ;)
I'll check again when I get home....

Hocrest
10-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I see Dave has a biiiiiig smile on his face :rolleyes:
-Bill

Well just before that photo was taken Shamu himself signed a HUGE check... aparently he liked the color scheme of our car :D:D

SVXRide
10-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Well just before that photo was taken Shamu himself signed a HUGE check... aparently he liked the color scheme of our car :D:D

So does this mean that you'll have to put all of the window glass back in the Race Car? (think fish bowl) :p

Does this mean that the "Race Car" will now have a real name ("Little Shamu"?) :rolleyes:

-Bill

TomsSVX
10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
does this mean "hackemup Bro's" will be buying the right parts?? Instead of "making" them work :D

Tom

Hocrest
10-04-2005, 06:35 PM
does this mean "hackemup Bro's" will be buying the right parts?? Instead of "making" them work :D

Tom

What fun would that be...

Anybody can buy a racecar :D :D

Hocrest
10-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Harvey. ;)

You got it... it stuck to the magnet so definately not brass.

benebob
10-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Tom

Built not bought is the motto of any self respecting man!!! :D

SVXRide
10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Built not bought is the motto of any self respecting man!!! :D

Amen, Brother Ben! :D :D
-Bill

TomsSVX
10-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Well, as long as it is ROAD worthy and not just track worthy I am in ;)

Tom

TomsSVX
10-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Oh, BTW when I blew my motor, I also had those little "brass" looking chips all inside of my intake. Just a little piece of info

Tom