PDA

View Full Version : wrx 5spd driveshaft lengthening Q???

intellibomb
09-11-2005, 01:48 PM
hello

my question is,
what must i do to "lenthen" the driveshaft to make the 02 wrx tranny fit?

i have read all about many different ways to do this
via spacer
or actually lengthening.

i was wondering if anyone knew
a) where i could get the proper spacer or a cad file for one so i could have one machined
or
b) a diagram of dimensions or whatnot for the act of actually having a piece added to the driveshaft to make it fit

thanks for any input!

i

Manarius
09-11-2005, 02:32 PM
I would highly suggest you have a new drive shaft made. Lengthening can cause an in balance in the shaft which will make your car all wacky.

Note: I speak from experience.

mbtoloczko
09-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I haven't heard of anyone use a WRX driveshaft. Everyone I know has either used the SVX driveshaft or used the Legacy Outback driveshaft. Not sure if the WRX driveshaft will fit because the center carrier bearing mount may not line up with the mounting holes on the SVX.

Certain years for the Legacy Outback driveshaft almost bolt right up to a 5MT SVX. The only mod required is the that carrier bearing mounting plate from the SVX driveshaft should be moved over to the Legacy Outback driveshaft. If the SVX driveshaft is used, its only necessary to lengthen the front half of the driveshaft. If the job is done correctly by a good driveshaft shop, there are no misbalance issues.

Manarius
09-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Most people do 5 MT swap with 1st Gen Legacy's. I don't know if our drive shafts will fit a WRX tranny.

mbtoloczko
09-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Most people do 5 MT swap with 1st Gen Legacy's. I don't know if our drive shafts will fit a WRX tranny.

Lengthen the front half of an SVX driveshaft by 2", and it fits perfectly with a WRX 5MT. Several people, including myself, have done it.

thundering02
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Would it be acceptable to use a spacer?

mbtoloczko
09-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Its not possible to put a bolt-on spacer in the front half of the driveshaft. Small Car uses a spacer with their kit, but it goes between the rear diff and the driveshaft. This moves the center carrier bearing forward away from the mounting holes on the car. Small Car has an adapter bracket to go between the mounting holes and the repositioned carrier bearing. Its not such a great solution.

intellibomb
09-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Small Car uses a spacer with their kit, but it goes between the rear diff and the driveshaft. This moves the center carrier bearing forward away from the mounting holes on the car. Small Car has an adapter bracket to go between the mounting holes and the repositioned carrier bearing. Its not such a great solution.

yes, i would agree, the idea of having a nice, machined one piece extension does sound better than a spacer that must have the carrier bearing repositioned and whatnot

what should i expect to pay to have a driveshaft shop lengthen mine?

huck369
09-12-2005, 05:38 AM
yes, i would agree, the idea of having a nice, machined one piece extension does sound better than a spacer that must have the carrier bearing repositioned and whatnot

what should i expect to pay to have a driveshaft shop lengthen mine?

Lengthening the front section of the drive shaft is the best solution, but the driveshaft out of a 5-speed legacy can be used (with little modification).

And if you decide to go with the spacer, I have a CAD file of it, I can send to you.

intellibomb
09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
ooh
so a legacy 5spd driveshaft can be used.
good to know

so, what would be the "little modification" that would be needed to make it fit?

and also, what years should i look for?

thanks so much for all the help.

huck369
09-13-2005, 05:51 AM
ooh
so a legacy 5spd driveshaft can be used.
good to know

so, what would be the "little modification" that would be needed to make it fit?

and also, what years should i look for?

thanks so much for all the help.

I think the one I used came off a 97.....

I had to switch the center carrier bearing mount from the svx one onto the legacy one to have it mount up correctly to the SVX (but I've been told some years bolt right up) and I had 1/2" taken out of the front section, but Paul just ground down the tin guard some, on the back of the tranny (bell shaped cap around the output) and it worked fine stock length.

SilVerXtc
09-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I originally used the stock SVX driveline with the small car spacer. I didn't like it. So I swapped in a legacy driveline. I Only had to cut 1/2" off the front cup of the driveline with a hack saw. Also where the carrier bearing bolts up the holes where a different width. I just removed the rubber bushings on the carrier bearing mounting holes and used washers to get the right width. I'm happy with the performance of the Legacy driveline and haven't had any issues.

intellibomb
09-14-2005, 04:26 PM
cool

thanks for the help!

if i still am lost when it comes time to do the swap i will be sure to ask lots of Qs

thanks again!