PDA

View Full Version : Simple MODS....

tman6429
08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Hey i have couple questions???

1. Whats the Throttle coolant bypass and what does it do? Any HP gains? Any write ups?

2. Whats the 4.11 or 4.44 gears? Any imporvements?

And other do it your self mods. Has anyone hear about the Poormans Hacked air box?

Any comments in good detail appreciated. Thanks

Chiketkd
08-27-2005, 10:04 PM
1. Whats the Throttle coolant bypass and what does it do? Any HP gains? Any write ups?
I did a write-up which you can find here at SVX-iw.com:

http://www.svx-iw.com/svxiw/article/?article=183

The purpose of the mod is to have the engine coolant bypass the throttle body to keep it cooler. However, understand that engine coolant ispassed through there to keep the plates from sticking open in freezing temps during Winter...

-Chike

Chiketkd
08-27-2005, 10:08 PM
2. Whats the 4.11 or 4.44 gears? Any imporvements?
The stock gears on awd US SVXs are 3.55's. These gears are perfect for cruising on the highway, but terrible for quick get-up and go at the dragstrip.

I'm probably the only owner to have had both 4.11 and 4.44's in my car, and I must say the mechanical advantage from the lower gearing really helps! The 4.11's effectively multiply engine torque to the wheels by 16%, while 4.44's increase by 25% (it's even higher in the first two gears).

-Chike

tman6429
08-27-2005, 10:38 PM
The stock gears on awd US SVXs are 3.55's. These gears are perfect for cruising on the highway, but terrible for quick get-up and go at the dragstrip.

I'm probably the only owner to have had both 4.11 and 4.44's in my car, and I must say the mechanical advantage from the lower gearing really helps! The 4.11's effectively multiply engine torque to the wheels by 16%, while 4.44's increase by 25% (it's even higher in the first two gears).

-Chike

How do you do this mod, where do you buy the parts? Does it go in the tranny or the diffrentials?

I have good knowledge on cars, but Subaru SVX is not all that good.

TomsSVX
08-27-2005, 11:22 PM
you can swap gears, but it is a pain in the arse as the front diff is connected to the trans... The smartest thing to do with a car if it has a bad trans is pick up a 4eat with 4.11 or 4.44 gears, get the matching rear diff and swap them in. While you are at it, add a big trans cooler and filter and buy a new pan gasket and internal filter. Tom(svxfiles) does them at a reasonable price try pming him

Tom