PDA

View Full Version : GC/Koni Install

shotgunslade
08-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Got my GC Coilovers with Koni inserts installed today Many thanks to Paul Fenner's (SVXHunter) son for building the struts for me. Really classy job.

Used Eibach 200.64.59's front, 230.64.48's rear. Put in new top mounts. Put urethane swaybar bushings on the rear, but temporarily replaced the fronts with elastomeric (Waiting for spacers).

Positive: Corners absolutely flat. Much crisper turn in. Throw it into a right angle turn, tires squeal, car stays flat, directionally controllable by wheel and accelerator. Doesn't get all messed up in a big lean. Really allows those 245/40's to do their thing.

Negative: Rapidly undulating asphalt makes the car pretty nervous. The pavement seams on I-287 really rattle your teeth.

But, it's really worth it. It's a different car. I'm gonna have to start chasing cones. :D :D :D :D

Tim
08-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Awesome... I shall be installing my suspension sooooon :D

I see you live in Princeton... what part? My sister lives in Lawrenceville and I usually am up that way.

shotgunslade
08-26-2005, 05:49 AM
Live on the eastern side of Princeton Township at 80 Random Road. Just off Princeton-Kingston Road, in what they call the Littlebrook section. My neighborhood was developed about 60 years ago by a bunch of guys who worked at the Bell Labs, hence the street name. On the other side of town from Lawrenceville, not that the town is that big.

mbtoloczko
08-26-2005, 09:20 AM

Used Eibach 200.64.59's front, 230.64.48's rear. Put in new top mounts. Put urethane swaybar bushings on the rear, but temporarily replaced the fronts with elastomeric (Waiting for spacers).

So the front springs have a rate of about 335 lbs/in and the rears have a rate of about 275 lbs/in? What damper setting did you use in the front and rear?

shotgunslade
08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
At the recommendation of the suspension guy who did the alignment and the corner weighting, the Koni's were set at the lowest setting for each. This guy came well recommended, but let me know if you think he is wrong.

mbtoloczko
08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Corner weighting too? Cool! How much did you lower the front and rear? I don't have any experience with the Konis, so I can't comment on the damper setting. Trying to get info on it though. I think most of the people who have Koni/GC with similar spring rates as yours say that they have to set the damping at maximum to keep the car from being bouncy. Is yours bouncy at all?

Earthworm
08-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I found the Konis to be too bouncy at the softest setting but probably ok for going long distances. 360° from full firm was the best compromise for everyday driving for me.

shotgunslade
08-26-2005, 03:05 PM
They are bouncy I searched some of Porter's old posts on the Koni/GC setup and he pointed out that the Koni's are adjustable only on the rebound, not on the compression stroke. So that with really stiff springs, they should be set firmer rather than softer. Need to adjust mine. I can use the little plastic handle to adjust the fronts, but it looks like the rears will require that I remove the strut, because they don't seem to have an adjusting tab at the top of the rod. There is an allen wrench type plastic recess in the top of the rod, but it doesn't seem to turn. Don't want to force it, might break something. Any ideas?

Earthworm
08-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Try just adjusting the front. You may find that's all you need.

mbtoloczko
08-26-2005, 03:27 PM
..., but it looks like the rears will require that I remove the strut, because they don't seem to have an adjusting tab at the top of the rod. There is an allen wrench type plastic recess in the top of the rod, but it doesn't seem to turn. Don't want to force it, might break something. Any ideas?

The rear strut has to be fully compressed to adjust the rebound damping. :-(

Tim
08-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Definitely should plan some type of central jersey meet so we can compare suspension setups, and I'm curious to see what your exhaust sounds like. I should have my new transmission in by spring.

TomsSVX
08-27-2005, 11:30 PM
um... I would suggest cranking the rears to full firm and adjusting the fronts a full turn back from full firm for daily driving. I have the same setup on my car and it works flawlessly. I think you could possibly unbolt the strut from the top mount and compress the strut while the struts are still in the car. Since the G/C are not compression style springs you should be able to do it quite easily. I just had a meet last weekend at Atco Raceway, you guys should have stopped by. Maybe you guys may want to come down to the Subaru Challenge... We could convoy... Well Good luck with the suspension setups...

Tom