PDA

View Full Version : new exhaust

awdsvxh6
08-05-2005, 07:57 PM
im gonna get my exhaust done this commin week and im not sire how i am gonna do it. i was thinking true dual but there isn't alot of room to get 2 pipes back there. the guy at the muffler shop said get rid of that last cat and put a Y pipe and then make it go into a 3 inch pipe al the way back into 1 muffler and then threw the tips. so i was wondering if that would be the way to go.

pavanbabut
08-05-2005, 08:49 PM
im gonna get my exhaust done this commin week and im not sire how i am gonna do it. i was thinking true dual but there isn't alot of room to get 2 pipes back there. the guy at the muffler shop said get rid of that last cat and put a Y pipe and then make it go into a 3 inch pipe al the way back into 1 muffler and then threw the tips. so i was wondering if that would be the way to go.

For dual tip exhaust modification...(Assuming you havent used the search option :p ) check out this thread for lots of info on it and even some of our members have done it..

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15360&highlight=dual+tip+exhaust

Hope this helps if you r really interested in dual tip modification....

-Pavan

awdsvxh6
08-06-2005, 09:13 PM
yeah i have seen the tips and i know which ones i am gonna get but i was wondering if anyone has widened the exhaust to 3 inches all the way back to the muffler and what it sounded like or made the car feel like.

KCROGUEDOG
08-06-2005, 11:44 PM
i have 2 and 1/2 and i would not go bigger. u can try but less pressure moving out. 2 would be a good move. i got pics and clips in my locker of my dual system. all walker products (dynomax and thrush)

KCROGUEDOG
08-06-2005, 11:48 PM
i took the all cats of my 97. i get a ce light that is clearable for a day at a time. i got the o2 in my H pipe in no cat. i got a thing called the o2 simulator to stop the ce light deal but ethier i hooked it up wrong or i just dont work. i have not had time to possitively rewire and test. what is the year of your ride. is it obd2?

awdsvxh6
08-07-2005, 10:17 AM
mine is obd1 it is a 92 the only cati am getting rid of is the one that links the 2 pipes togethere and leaving the other 2. then from there put a Y pipe and go straight back to 1 small muffler and the out the back with these magnaflow tips im gettin from dayle.

KCROGUEDOG
08-07-2005, 05:18 PM
i wish mine was like that. best thing to do with that is the o2s pick up nothing to do with the catalyst in the exhuast is all about which side is lean or working harder or so on and so on (they even everything out). so cut them off hollow out (or take shell) and weld them on to a straight pipe on each side. so then u pass inspections cause they will look and see that they are there. and u get nothing holding up your flow. i have hook ups where im going to pass inspections but just in case i will resort to welding shells up on each side of mine and clearing my ce light. got to always have a back up plan. and with the single pipe back 3 inches should be great if u got ground clearence which should not be a prob. there is room for dual a good exhuast place will find room and be proud to take the challenge on.

NikFu S.
08-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Why not just run straight pipe to a couple cats at the rear?

(Forgive me I know abslutely nothing about exaust set ups) :o

SVXRide
08-07-2005, 07:23 PM
I'd suggest you ditch the front two cats and stay with a single 2.5 in/out high flow cat behind a "Y" connecting the two head pipes. Definitely don't go larger than 2.5 inch pipe anywhere in the system....
-Bill

svxcess
08-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Bill,

Is there any advantage to having the two exhaust pipes connecting at a "Y" and going into a 2.5" SINGLE inlet/outlet high-flow cat?

Chike has the same two exhaust pipes going straight into a 2.5" DOUBLE inlet/single outlet high-flow cat. Is there an advantage to the "Y"?

Chiketkd
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Bill,

Is there any advantage to having the two exhaust pipes connecting at a "Y" and going into a 2.5" SINGLE inlet/outlet high-flow cat?

Chike has the same two exhaust pipes going straight into a 2.5" DOUBLE inlet/single outlet high-flow cat. Is there an advantage to the "Y"?
John,

My 2-into-1 cat has dual 2" inlets and a single 2.5" outlet...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/16716.jpg

There's no advantage to using a y-pipe followed by a single cat... The 2-into-1 cat is just less complex as both the 'Y' and the cat are integrated into one unit.

-Chike

SVXRide
08-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah, what Chike said :D :D
-Bill
p.s. on a purely theoretical level, you'd have to look at how the two flow paths interact in each case to determine the "best" method - flow wise..

KCROGUEDOG
08-07-2005, 08:09 PM
how much is that. that could be my third back up plan to test if they got a 2in 2out for a dual set up with one o2 like a H pipe. really the ce light is getting on the nerves. where to buy? is this what u got on your ride?

Chiketkd
08-07-2005, 08:20 PM
how much is that. that could be my third back up plan to test if they got a 2in 2out for a dual set up with one o2 like a H pipe. really the ce light is getting on the nerves. where to buy? is this what u got on your ride?
Here's the thread where I talked about my new exhaust:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26752

The 2-into-1 cat ran me $60.77 shipped from www.performancepeddler.com. If you call them (not order on-line) and mention you're from the SVX Network, they've been consistently hooking members up with great discounts. :)

-Chike

Whoru465
08-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Here's the thread where I talked about my new exhaust:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26752

The 2-into-1 cat ran me $60.77 shipped from www.performancepeddler.com. If you call them (not order on-line) and mention you're from the SVX Network, they've been consistently hooking members up with great discounts. :)

-Chike

Awsome, that's just the part I was looking for too...Thanks for the tip :D

Chiketkd
08-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Awsome, that's just the part I was looking for too...Thanks for the tip :D
No prob Mike. :)

-Chike

oab_au
08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Bill,

Yes there is a difference John. With the standard system the high pressure in one pipe, can not enter the other pipe. As the two pipes are connected in the low pressure area in the front of the cat, the other pipe will only receive a low pressure pulse.
If a Y pipe is used to join the two pipes, the high pressure from one will enter the other, at the same pressure, to send a high pressure front up to the other bank. Thats why they go to the expense to fit the twin inlet third cat, instead of a cheap Y pipe.

Harvey ;)

awdsvxh6
08-09-2005, 01:56 PM
i think im gonna go with leaving the 2 cats at the front and just putting in a Y pipe where the 3rd cat is and get rid of the resonator and put the muffler up there and have 2 pipes going ou tthe back and instead of 3' pipe i will go with 2.5.

Whoru465
08-10-2005, 02:29 PM
No prob Mike. :)

-Chike

By the way, they only charged me $58.00 :p

Earthworm
08-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if I agree or fully understand this comment. The way I read it the high pressure would have to pass through the center cat material before it could pass up to the other bank. This is not true as there is an empty area at the front of the center cat before the actual cat material.

Yes there is a difference John. With the standard system the high pressure in one pipe, can not enter the other pipe. As the two pipes are connected in the low pressure area in the front of the cat, the other pipe will only receive a low pressure pulse.
If a Y pipe is used to join the two pipes, the high pressure from one will enter the other, at the same pressure, to send a high pressure front up to the other bank. Thats why they go to the expense to fit the twin inlet third cat, instead of a cheap Y pipe.

Harvey ;)

oab_au
08-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure if I agree or fully understand this comment. The way I read it the high pressure would have to pass through the center cat material before it could pass up to the other bank. This is not true as there is an empty area at the front of the center cat before the actual cat material.

No Dave, thats what I said, I think, :confused: The front of the third cat is an empty area. This is the low pressure area, where the two engine pipes join. The ceramic dice is after this area.
I think you are still a bit "fishey eyed" :D I don't want to have mussel you around mate. OK I'll clam up now. :D

Harvey. ;)