PDA

View Full Version : New cheap steering wheel mod! (not for stockers)

Subafreak
08-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Maybe I just suck but I've never really liked the SVX wheel for driving. Sure it's fine for crusing but when you really need to start sawing at it it sucks. The wheel is to thin, the center is to fat, and it has to many spokes.

So the other night I mounted an older 91 Legacy Ls "leather wraped" wheel on my SVX. Now I've always loved the way this wheel feels, it's thick sticky leather ring, open two spoke design, horn that you don't hit all the time when driving hard, and they are old so they are dirt cheap. (I got mine off and abandend car we towed in.)

The bad things (for some people) No more airbag, I still havn't figured out how to hook up the horn or make the turn signals shut off automaticly, and you need to move the front plastic coulumn peice back about 1/4" but thats easy and you can't even notice it.

So obviously I don't expect this to be the new rage in modding but I highly suggest it for at least you stripped down auto-xers. It will bolt right onto the splines with all the other stuff ripped out, and it makes a much better driving wheel in my opinion. :cool:

TomsSVX
08-05-2005, 01:26 PM
um.... how about some pictures?

TOm

n00b on demand
08-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah i want pics....i might be interested in doing this mod.

Subafreak
08-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Well last time I tried to post pics on here it rejected me :mad: Besides you guys will get to see it soon enough. :D

TomsSVX
08-05-2005, 09:27 PM
nice

Tom

GreenMarine
08-05-2005, 09:33 PM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/GreenMarineSVX/19465.gif

I may be interested in doing this.... I'll let ya know how the first major AutoX goes... It is a 24 hour event in Charlotte in under a MONTH!!! Labor Day weekend actually.... Looking at well over 12 runs!!! Night and day runs :):) Pics will be posted :D:D

TomsSVX
08-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I will post pics when we go racing on the 19th.

Tom

GreenMarine
08-06-2005, 06:41 AM
I will post pics when we go racing on the 19th.

Tom

Sounds good man....

P.S. - Looks like you are doing a Koni/GC swap..... :D:D................. YOu'll LOVE them!!! Hopefully ya will be at the Subaru CHallenge in Maryland so we can show them how Koni equipped SVXi handle :):)