PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Motor mounts???

TomsSVX
07-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Who has got em. I am trying desperately to tighten up the slop in my drivetrain. Who is making them, I know a couple of people were looking to do it, whats the status report??

Tom

mbtoloczko
07-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Did you already take the free play out of the rear subframe mounts? There are two sets of rear subframe mounts and the combined free play is in the range of +/- 1/2".

svxsubaru1
07-30-2005, 06:33 PM
how can you take the free play out, subframe bushings?

mbtoloczko
07-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Add donut shims to fill the space.

TomsSVX
07-30-2005, 09:33 PM
you mean the X member for the rear diff?? That thing just moves around with no effort involved

Tom

mbtoloczko
07-30-2005, 10:57 PM
you mean the X member for the rear diff?? That thing just moves around with no effort involved

Tom

Exactly. All that free play allows the diff to rotate around the axis of the driveshaft. In low gears, that free play is at least in part responsible for the jerky behavior of the car.

Earthworm
08-17-2005, 03:31 PM
I've been looking into getting engine mounts made.

Unfortunately I ran into a road block today...they wouldn't be cheap!

I took the ones I got from Subafreak to a local place to see what they can do. These mounts are very complicated and they didn't want to be liable for any damages/injuries as a result of simplifying the mount.

They did say I would need $10000 just to get started on this :eek: . I think I'll see what they can do with our rear diff mounts first :D

benebob
08-17-2005, 04:24 PM
I've been looking into getting engine mounts made.

Unfortunately I ran into a road block today...they wouldn't be cheap!

I took the ones I got from Subafreak to a local place to see what they can do. These mounts are very complicated and they didn't want to be liable for any damages/injuries as a result of simplifying the mount.

They did say I would need $10000 just to get started on this :eek: . I think I'll see what they can do with our rear diff mounts first :D

That's 10000 Canadian though right :D

mbtoloczko
08-17-2005, 06:34 PM

They were trying to scare you off with that number. If someone can get their car over to Dave Clark Motorsports in Kent, WA (can be either a 4eat or a 5mt) for a few days, he can make another set of adapter plates and make up a jig so that he can crank out the adapter plates. I don't think that he would charge more than $100/set for the adapter plates.

It would be great if Earl could drop off one of his SVXes over there. :-)))

SVXRide
08-17-2005, 07:04 PM
They were trying to scare you off with that number. If someone can get their car over to Dave Clark Motorsports in Kent, WA (can be either a 4eat or a 5mt) for a few days, he can make another set of adapter plates and make up a jig so that he can crank out the adapter plates. I don't think that he would charge more than $100/set for the adapter plates.

It would be great if Earl could drop off one of his SVXes over there. :-)))

Would someone PLEASE get an SVX up to Dave's place!!! :cool: :cool: This is obviously the best solution to this problem, as Dave does excellent work. I'm in for a set.
-Bill

TomsSVX
08-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I am saying screw it and going with the Group N mount. It only requires minimal fab and then it will bolt right up. I am in for that. I was under the impression that there were going to be cheaper and easy mounts made but that has seemed to fade off.

Tom