PDA

View Full Version : Tranny resistor

1994SubaruSVX
04-20-2001, 12:01 PM
where is the tranny resistor located......i know it is near the battery but i can not remember exactly. i think i want to experiment with this free mod to see if it really does improve shifts and acceleration a little.

nubs
04-20-2001, 01:24 PM
It is located right behind the battery on the fender.You can unplug it without removing the battery.

Out of curiosity I unplugged mine last week to see what everone was talking about. Well after a quick drive around town I plugged it right back in. The upshift were definetly more abrupt, not so bad that I couldn't have lived with, but when it downshifted when coming to a stop, it seem to surge and jump up and down between gears. I was put there for a reason and it should probably stay that way.

If you do it let us know how your car reacted.

Aredubjay
04-23-2001, 12:46 PM
Mike, your reaction was the same as mine. TOO abrupt for me. Not to mention, the power light blinking at start-up left me somewhat uneasy. You know how your mind looks at one word and translates it into another? The light on the dash was actually blinking "Power" but my brain was translating it as "Stupid." But, to each his own. :)

1994SubaruSVX
04-24-2001, 07:31 AM
with all the tranny problems this car is prone to have i think i may skip this mod.:cool:

Aredubjay
04-24-2001, 09:06 AM
Just to let you know what this "mod" does: It disables duty solenoid "A" which regulates line pressure to give those "so called" "silky smooth" shifts. Once disabled, it allows full line pressure to the system, making the shifts occur quicker with no lag. There has been no "real" evidence that the mod is "harmful." But, as for me (and I've tried it), I don't like the harsher shift. Nor, do I like the warning light blinking on start-up. But, again, to each his own.

1994SubaruSVX
04-24-2001, 11:48 AM
well i guess i just need to try it myself to see whether or not i like them? i will leave a post and let you know how it goes.

picklesbitch
04-29-2001, 08:46 AM
I didn't do the mod, my resistor failed. In stop and go traffic, this sucks. I thought my tranny was going. Come to think of it, I replaced the resistor, and several months later my tranny failed completely. Related, probably not. I had the oil changed once and I believe they removed the wrong plug. Unfortunately, having driven stick shifts for 20 some years, I never learned to properly read an auto trans. dip stick. It really did look like the level was right to me. Oh well, I don't let anyone touch my car anymore, unless absolutely necessary. I have the luxury of other vehicles to drive now.
Mike

museumquality
04-30-2001, 04:15 PM
i removed my resistor soon after my failure, yes it shifts harder, and sounds harmful to the tranny, but the fact is, its easier on the tranny. the resistor is there to assit in the comunication to the trans, telling it to spin its clutches and involved -a little longer, giving a smooth shift which feels better to us drivers, well most of us, but the affect is a hotter running trans. i personaly like the clean cuts. don't look for performance gains, just understand that the tranny is working much less. listen to your tranny the time you jump on it, the long shift which can sometimes sound a 5 sec, transition, i've timed it, its horrible. as far as the blinking power lamp on start up. no big deal, computer is just alittle scared because he knows hes got a crazy man behind the wheel. for us guys who slam the petal down often this is something to seriously consider.

one more bit, i poped the fuse into the front wheel drive circuit, and compared some times, in front wheel drive with the resistor off, it seems to pick up quicker, i wouldn't recommend this, but just to let you know.

thank the good god for the warrantee, and the secret of the svx.

be nice
jimi

zsvx
04-30-2001, 09:50 PM
I just tried disconnecting the resistor. The shifts are more abrupt (which I happen to like) but even better my 2nd to 3rd slipping is completely gone. I'm not getting the power light like you guys but it still seems to be doing its job. Unless someone finds this is horrible for the transmission I think I'm going to leave mine disconnected.

museumquality
04-30-2001, 10:10 PM
totally!

you will notice the blinking of the power light soon on start up. but its just reminding you that you are the one, like the matrix, you have been chosen for this road ahead of you, so shred it up my friend. someone interpreted the blinking as saying stupid or something. me myself,,, i interpret it as saying,( you just saved another 30,000 miles on your tranny dude!)

boy, you got that thang shiftin like my 82 bronco! you go on now and get yourself a gun rack and lets go huntin!

oh yeahhh ,,awesome, yeah i see why now,,,you live in cali, we know what the roads are like around here. thanks for sharin my friend.

jimi jumps the svx like them dam dukes

Aredubjay
05-01-2001, 06:47 PM
<<someone interpreted the blinking as saying stupid or something.>>

Yep, that was me. And I still do -- but, that's just me. O'course, bein' from Kentucky and all, I wouldn't know anything about roads . . . nor shoes . . . nor teeth . . . :D
Guess we'll see how it pans out over the next few tens of thousands of miles or so.

As for jumpin' like "The Dukes," if you'll grab an Atlas, turn to the back where it lists all the cities -- go to Kentucky -- run your finger down the page 'til you get to the "H's" -- it won't take you long to find . . . yep, you guessed it . . . HAZARD, Kentucky. :)

museumquality
05-01-2001, 07:13 PM
or i can drive over the hill, and jump the same bridges them dukes did, right here in the world of stages.

coo coo coo coo coo eanis you numbskull

Aredubjay
05-01-2001, 07:17 PM
LOL! Believe it or not, I know people like the Dukes, Sheriff Coltrane and Boss Hogg . . . they come to my family reunions :D

museumquality
05-01-2001, 07:48 PM
the dukes was one of my favorites,, from my childhood.
we used to sneak into the studio grounds on sundays, and check out the general lees, they had like ten of them. wouldn't you love to have that car, i would trade my svx in.

immortal_suby
05-01-2001, 08:02 PM
love to have one?
check out this page

http://pages.prodigy.net/tcwinfk/general.html

tober76b
05-01-2001, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by museumquality
the dukes was one of my favorites,, from my childhood.
we used to sneak into the studio grounds on sundays, and check out the general lees, they had like ten of them. wouldn't you love to have that car, i would trade my svx in.

heck....there's one in my town!
shall i give him a ring for you? :)
toby