PDA

View Full Version : 5 Speed (pedal box) question

AvPPoW
07-22-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm using 2002 2.5RS pedals, same as WRX pedals. From what it looks like, I'd be best off removing the clutch pedal and mounting it to the side of the SVX box. I'd be interested in pics if anyone has pictures of their modded SVX/WRX/Impreza boxes.

Thanks,
John

Earthworm
07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Is this for a hydraulic setup? If so keep the clutch/brake and just use the SVX gas pedal.

AvPPoW
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Is this for a hydraulic setup? If so keep the clutch/brake and just use the SVX gas pedal.

Really? So I don't even need to modify the box other than the screw holes that dont quite line up?

Earthworm
07-22-2005, 01:03 PM
yes...almost

there are the 4 holes that bolt to the brake booster...those are fine.
the other 2 holes don't line up. You could easily weld on a plate to the pedal box so that you can bolt up the top 2 holes.

Solid pedals are happy pedals.

AvPPoW
07-22-2005, 01:36 PM
yes...almost

there are the 4 holes that bolt to the brake booster...those are fine.
the other 2 holes don't line up. You could easily weld on a plate to the pedal box so that you can bolt up the top 2 holes.

Solid pedals are happy pedals.

Cool, I see now. That makes it much easier than I thought it would be. One more question, what do I do with all the wires at the firewall hole? Seems like thats the best place to put the clutch master

Earthworm
07-22-2005, 01:43 PM
that's the only place to put it.

Take a look at the pics I took during the conversion:

http://svx-iw.com/pics/5speed/

As for the wires, most of them will be pulled inside the car.

AvPPoW
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
that's the only place to put it.

Take a look at the pics I took during the conversion:

http://svx-iw.com/pics/5speed/

As for the wires, most of them will be pulled inside the car.

which wires can I pull? I assume they're for the tcu

Earthworm
07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
That's the ones. The 2 large connectors no longer need to pass through the firewall.

AvPPoW
07-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Earthworm, did you have to cut your brake or mcylinder pushrod to get it to fit?

Earthworm
07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Definately. My dad cut it so I don't know how much he cut off. I think it's mentioned in Huck's writeup though.

TomsSVX
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
That would be a nice chunk of info for those looking to do the swap. I have been thinking of converting to hydroulic so it is easier to go 6mt if I want to. But I like the cable clutch as of right now. Perfect for me to have absolute control.

Tom

Earthworm
07-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Having driven yours (cable), mine (hydraulic) and my dad's (cable) 5spd SVX's both my dad and myself agree that mine is by far the easiest to shift/drive.

TomsSVX
07-25-2005, 08:33 PM
ah but simplicity comes at a cost. i feel I have much better control over my clutch than I ever did with a hydroulic unit. Thats just my personal opinion though.

Tom

AvPPoW
07-26-2005, 12:00 AM
ah but simplicity comes at a cost. i feel I have much better control over my clutch than I ever did with a hydroulic unit. Thats just my personal opinion though.

Tom

Tom, just an update. Pedal box is done, rear diff is modded and mounted, slushbox is out, clutch master is ready to be mounted. I'm waiting on flywheel bolts from kerbeck subaru (thursday) so I can bolt up the 5spd. Then I have to modify the shifter, make a shifter plate, cut the brake (and possibly clutch master) pushrod to accomodate pedal location, modify drive shaft (should be able to do it myself with my uncles lathe and my welder), make a stud for the starter to rest on and then reassemble. I'd say I'm about 40% to completion.

TorG0d
07-26-2005, 10:40 AM
My own personal observations of driveline extensions: unless you're a damn good welder, I wouldn't try. I'd rather spend $100 to have it professionally lengthened and balanced than $250 or so for a new driveline, however much for a new rear diff, etc.

Of course, I don't know you, so I may be sorely underestimating your skills. If I am, I apologize, I don't mean to be insulting.

Godspeed

AvPPoW
07-26-2005, 11:32 AM
My own personal observations of driveline extensions: unless you're a damn good welder, I wouldn't try. I'd rather spend $100 to have it professionally lengthened and balanced than $250 or so for a new driveline, however much for a new rear diff, etc.

Of course, I don't know you, so I may be sorely underestimating your skills. If I am, I apologize, I don't mean to be insulting.

Godspeed

Thanks for the concern. The rear was easy and as far as the driveshaft goes I'm still deciding whether to fabricate a spacer and move the center bearing up or cut and weld a spacer in myself. I'm not worried about the professional part, because I have access to the same (if not more) equipment than a professional shop and I have a couple of engineers to help me out. My uncle up the street owns a shop called ICE (http://www.cryopumper.com/). They manufacture cold heads and cryogenic cooling systems for MRI magnets and a couple of the tools I have access to include a CNC router, full size lathe and milling machine. Not to mention all the tools I have in my own shop. It's ok, your not the first one to doubt that I could do this, I was getting the same feeling from tomssvx, or maybe he's just upset that he won't be the only 5spd around town anymore :p Can't wait to compare our cars after I'm done. And besides, with this forum and walkthroughs from SVXfiles and Huck the swap is a breeze. I'm just waiting on my subaru dealer for flywheel bolts, then I'll finish it up. I cannot stress how much the right tools make a difference. Without a tranny jack and a 34" long jack this job would be 200 times as difficult. Anyways, I appriciate all the help you guys are giving me, especially SVXfiles for putting up with my calls. Tomorrow I'm going to extend the threads on the brake booster and cut it. I'll post some measurements afterwards. Huck's guide is good but it has a lot of holes, and I think an update is in order especially for those trying to install a hydraulic clutch. I'll see if I can make an update after I'm done with my swap. Anyway, enough rambling, I have to go to work.

Cheers,
John

PS: At 18, am I the youngest to do the swap?

TomsSVX
07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
John, why don't you take the easy way out and buy and outback driveshaft and mill the 3/8" off the cup?? That would make perfect sense instead of trying to lengthen the stock one. I am sure Cramer has something there

Tom

AvPPoW
07-26-2005, 11:47 AM
John, why don't you take the easy way out and buy and outback driveshaft and mill the 3/8" off the cup?? That would make perfect sense instead of trying to lengthen the stock one. I am sure Cramer has something there

Tom

Which outback shaft fits? I'll go junkyard hopping thursday, have to hit mays landing for those flywheel bolts anyway and pro is down there

TomsSVX
07-26-2005, 11:50 AM
You are looking for a 95-99 legacy or legacy outback driveshaft for a 5mt. Seems to be a good fit with a little modification... thats what I have on order right now.

Tom

AvPPoW
07-26-2005, 11:54 AM
You are looking for a 95-99 legacy or legacy outback driveshaft for a 5mt. Seems to be a good fit with a little modification... thats what I have on order right now.

Tom

If it gets in before thursday gimme a call and tell me how well it fits up. That'd be the easiest route, I didn't know there was another suby driveshaft that bolted up. Good luck sorting out your vibration problems man, if you need a hand gimme a call, I'll be around tomorrow before 3 and after 8, after that I'm off till sunday. Feel free to stop down here and check out the scene too, if you want you could swap your driveshaft down here.

Thanks,
John

TomsSVX
07-26-2005, 11:57 AM
with any luck, I will get it today in the mail. Should have been here yesterday but u know how that goes. I am also waiting on my new wheels. I will be ordering my konis within the week and Mychailo is working on my springs now

Tom

AvPPoW
07-30-2005, 07:08 PM
MY CAR HAS 3 PEDALS

Bolted up tranny, mounted clutch master, have to do shifter linkage, crossmember, and driveshaft then reassemble and figure out where the bolts go and I'll be done

wawazat??
07-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Woo Hoo! Congratulations :D

Todd

AvPPoW
08-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Almost done, just have to finish up the crossmember, figure out what the hell I'm going to do with my exhaust, and reassemble.

I need more info on what to do with the wiring. Where do I wire up the reverse lights and cruise wires? What's the most current way to bypass the neutral safety switch? Whats the box behind the shifter for? What other mods, besides the torque control, do I have to do for the car to function properly? What do I do to avoid getting my key stuck in the ignition?

Earthworm
08-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I hope you've resolved these issues by now. A lot of the answers to these questions are answered in Huck's 5 spd howto. I used this in addition to the Smallcar instructions to do the wiring in my SVX.