PDA

View Full Version : Looking to setup a Bay Area, CA Mini Meet.

Kiteless
07-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey all, I think it is about time we had a get together. Maybe the admin can make this sticky? I think South East Bay is a fairly central area taking San Jose into account. If someone can make some location suggestions, where we will not get in trouble for loitering. I can bring a cooler full of soda and perhaps we can hang and talk SVX stuff. I am thinking this weekend of next weekend. Feedback on a good weekend over all would be great too. Thanks all,

- Jason H.

NapaBavarian
07-11-2005, 06:50 PM
What about by the beach, drive up the coast? I'd have to drive something else though :(

Kiteless
07-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh that souds like a really good idea. Any spot specific that you have in mind? My 'L' can not go out onto the sand wash.

nordique14
07-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Sand dune ralley! woo-hoo! Just kidding. I would be picking sand out of my floor mats (and shorts) for a long time afterwards. :)

I'm up for a meet. Can't do this weekend or Aug 7 (autox both weekends). The weekends in between are fine.

I can round up one other SVX. You might want to send a PM to some of the folks who posted on this thread:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23836
They might be interested, but they may not read the board that often.

-Matt

NapaBavarian
07-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Perhaps we should see where people would be comming from, Stinson? Pt Reyes? Some of the roads north from santacruise are nice, but highway 1 isn't my favorite in that area :( as I recall it is a bit...straight.

Kiteless
07-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Great. Well that makes 3 peoplw. If you guys know anyone else who would want to go please PM them and point them to this thread. I have no problem playing 'host' and providing snacks and soda.

Do they have those fire pits at the beach? I have never been to the beach around here, but I guess this is the best time of year. If they have the pits I am thinking that we can being some Lil' Smokies and hot dogs n' stuff.

I did make a post in the main forums pointing people to this thread, and even though there is a "Anyone from (insert state here) place?" thread in there, it looks like mine got deleted.

OK well I think we have the startings of a local meet. The first of many I am hoping. I would like to see at least 5 people for this plus guests. I am sure we have way more than that out there in SVX land though.

Thanks all,

- Jason (Union City, CA)

SVXcellent
07-13-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm game for a meet.

nordique14
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
If you want to hold the meet in the South Bay, the Santa Cruz mountains have some nice drives and photo spots. PCH from SF to Monterey is kind of boring. The good stuff doesn't happen until south of Carmel. :) I'm sure there are some nice drives in the East Bay as well as wine country.

NapaBavarian
07-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Could always start in Napa, drive up Silverado Trail to Calistoga, Alexander Valley, out through Guernville and south to Pt Reyes or all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge... long drive though...

scottzg
07-14-2005, 12:29 PM
might i suggest bear creek road - skyline - 9 - 1 that beach just north of davenport, where you can have a fire if you have a pan?

nordique14
07-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Nice route. Nice scenery and twisty roads. :)

Should we pick a date and see what people think? How about Sat July 30th?

-Matt

blk97lsi
07-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm game for a meet. I vote for a beach thing/twisting drive :cool: . I'd rather not drive a distance like Napa. Still working on keeping the miles down. July 30th is good for me. :D

SVXcellent
07-14-2005, 11:09 PM
My tires are near bald! How about a short and straight drive?! j/k (but my tires really are near bald...) The weekend of 7/30 should be good for me as well.

Kiteless
07-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey there. Love all the suggestions so far. I think that a meet as close to the beack as possible would be great if this awesome weather we are having can hold up. I am going to be busy the weekend of the 30th. What about the following weekend, the first weekend of August? Any other ideas for a meeting place?

NapaBavarian
07-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey! I just saw blk97lsi has an 87 325is, I got an '88 with the same miles :eek:

nordique14
07-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Can't make Aug 7. Have an autox to attend. Other weekends in aug are fine.

We can start somewhere in the south bay and head up though the Santa Cruz mtns and end up at the beach.

I pass a pearlie everyday on my way to work. It has a Rola roof rack like mine. His back are on the wrong direction. I should stop by and let him know about the meet and the wheels. :)

blk97lsi and I both have white bimmers. His is an 87 325is. I have a 96 328ic. One of the few cars I have owned that is as nice to drive as the SVX.

-Matt

NapaBavarian
07-18-2005, 11:58 AM
OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo, I have my eye on a 97-99 328ic or M3 convertible, drove a 323ic last week, missed the zing of the higher end cars, but nice just the same :D

blk97lsi
07-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey! I just saw blk97lsi has an 87 325is, I got an '88 with the same miles :eek:

Nice! It's a good combo. BMW gets me to work and school, and Subaru gets me high bloodpressure and tons of stares. Perfect combo :D

Not too sure about the following weekend yet (In August). Should be ok though.

Kiteless
07-19-2005, 02:06 PM
OK then, how does August 13th sound for everybody? Sata Cruz may be a little too south for the North Bay Folks. But I would be up for that. What about the San Francisco Ocean Beach?

http://www.sealrockinn.com/viewer/ocean.html

Looks like it would be an interesting location.

94svxred
07-20-2005, 04:56 AM
Keep me posted i'd like to try and make if isn't too far :eek: Got a wife and 2 small kids :p . Can't be gone to long ;) San Fran is to far for me :mad:

Kiteless
07-21-2005, 01:50 AM
No problem. Well none of us are really going anywhere soon (like away for ever) so I am all about patiently trying to work out a location that is a central to the Bay Area as we can and a weekend that is as free as possible for folks. So please let me know if this is something you can make it to. I made a post in the main forums to try and drum up some more attention to this meet and it got moved or deleted. Thanks all,

- Jason

nordique14
07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
We can meet somewhere on the pennisula. Stanford Mall or somewhere in Palo Alto-Redwood Shores area. We can take Page Mill or 84 up to Skyline and then some more twisties down to PCH around the Half Moon Bay Area. That gives us beach time and an easy route home for people in the north bay, east bay (across San Mateo bridge or Dunbarton bridge) and south bay.

Anytime other than the first week in Aug is good for me.

-Matt

94svxred
07-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Can we try to make it a little more south :confused:

Gravija
07-24-2005, 01:42 AM
is this still on?
im on summer vacation so i might go out, but i don't want to drive too far

my car is pretty beat up (not worth repairing right now)
im in foster city/san mateo area
preferably not too far into august cause school starts on the 16th for me (and i don't start summer hw til very late)

anybody in the bay area want to help me try and fix the power steering problem in my car (im gonna try to do the O-ring replacement tomorrow, but i don't know how well it will go considering it will be my first attempt at a fix on my car, or maybe the TPS adjustment)

Kiteless
07-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Well we can not accomidate abosilutely everybody. Just impossible. I woul dlike to see as many SVX's as possible. THe main reason we want to host this near thre ocean is photo opportunities. Those with 4 weel drive (not like my L) can drive out onto the sand for some cool shots there too. Yeah it is a long drive, but I think it would be fun fun fun. I would like to see this happen before this awesome weather we are having vanishes. It only lasts a few months. But we all have schedules. So lets get something worked out soon.

Gravija
07-24-2005, 09:33 PM
off topic, but anybody here near me in the bay area that cna help me with the power steering o-ring replacement or the ECU crush?

nordique14
07-24-2005, 11:08 PM
o-ring is very easy to do. Kragen sells an o-ring pack and one of the rings in that pack fits perfectly. The dealership also carries them for a couple of bucks. Here is the how-to:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14284

If you can wait, it is something that can easily be done at the meet.

-Matt

Roo
08-02-2005, 12:48 AM
If you'd like a nice drive through some really great back roads, lots of twisties...

Then come join me on August 13th. We'll have an EVO, a Forester, an SVX, and hopefully an M-class BMW along for the journey, as well as hopefully, a few more Foresters.

We have a really remote route planned, but nothing that an SVX won't handle...all tarmac. We could enjoy something afterward (maybe stopping at a winery after the drive)...

94svxred
08-02-2005, 06:11 AM
MAN SOUNDS GREAT :D ,But just a little far for me ;) Have a great time :p

nordique14
08-03-2005, 11:02 AM
If you'd like a nice drive through some really great back roads, lots of twisties...

Then come join me on August 13th. We'll have an EVO, a Forester, an SVX, and hopefully an M-class BMW along for the journey, as well as hopefully, a few more Foresters.

We have a really remote route planned, but nothing that an SVX won't handle...all tarmac. We could enjoy something afterward (maybe stopping at a winery after the drive)...

More info please! How "remote" is the route? How does it start and how long will it take?

-Matt

Kiteless
08-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Roo: Please post as much infomation about this run as you can, I had something up in Modesto that I was going to go to that is non car related, but I think I would rather join you guys. My SVX is not the prettiest it has been, but she is ready for some twisties. We need to get some more SVX's down to this, while i will settle for only 2 I would like to see at least 4. Come on guys and gals, lets do this!

Please let us know where it starts, when and where we will be ending up. Thanks,

- Jason

P.S. - You may also want to post something on the "Upcoming meets" section.

SVXcellent
08-09-2005, 10:18 PM
So is anything going on this weekend?

Or Kiteless, maybe you should just plan something regardless of everyone else. You had the balls to start this thread, so I still think it's your call. I hope some other folks agree! I'll definitely try to make it to whatever happens.

Kiteless
08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make the car meet thast Roo is talking about. Not enough details so close to the event anyway. It was my mistake to be all wishy-washy about the meet details.

This meet is going to happen on September 3rd at beutiful Lake Elizabeth, also called Fremont Central Park. The even starts at noon.

You can see the exact location thanks to the amazing Google Maps.

Click to see Google Map. Look in the center for the lake. (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.547708,-121.958885&spn=0.104859,0.158675&hl=en)

Fremont also has a web site on this park here:

Click here to go to the official web site for this park. (http://www.ci.fremont.ca.us/Recreation/CentralPark/default.htm)

We will hang for an hour or two, how ever long we want, and then drive down as a group to East Ridge Mall in San Jose, CA. Mainly just to shake hands and part ways. I chose this location because it has a BIIIIG parking lot.

The address is
1 Eastridge Mall
San Jose, CA 95122

Link to the Google Maps. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+Ridge+Mall,+San+Jose+CA&ll=37.325471,-121.818549&spn=0.105171,0.158675&num=10&start=0&hl=en)

It does not exactly say Eastridge Mall but it is in the middle where Tully & E. Capitol Expy meet.

So I guess that is about it. I would like to do this at least once every 3 months or so. If that is too frequent, then what about twice a year? The destination would chance every single time, but I would like to keep starting it at Lake Elizabeth for now.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

- Jason

PLEASE RSVP. I will be supplying soda and snacks, but will not know how much to bring unless everybody RSVP's for me. Of course, please feel free to bring some stuff to share as well.

nordique14
08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Cool. That gives me time to wash my car. :)

I wonder how many people will be around that weekend (Labor Day weekend and all that).

-Matt

Kiteless
08-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Oh that is Labor Day Weekend!? Hmm that could go ether way. I only chose that weekend because it is the first one that I have free. Well I am going to keep to that weekend for now, but would be willing to push it back one more week if it turns out to be an issue. Thanks for letting me know about that.

- Jason

Kiteless
08-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Hey Matt,

Well I am dissapointed by the lack of responses. Sounds like it might just be me and you. I would post a notification in the main forums but the admins just delete it or move it because it is "off topic".

Matt, you know any other SVX'ers out there that would want to meet up? Thanks,

- Jason

94svxred
08-15-2005, 02:48 AM
Hey Matt,

Well I am dissapointed by the lack of responses. Sounds like it might just be me and you. I would post a notification in the main forums but the admins just delete it or move it because it is "off topic".

Matt, you know any other SVX'ers out there that would want to meet up? Thanks,

- Jason
Yeah I know how you feel :( . I can't get much down here in the south either :o . I would love to come up and meet you guys ,but I can't really be gone from home for more than the day! Too much going on with the new house! Maybe we can meet halfway and have a nice little showing :o I'd be in but right now I can only commit for a day meet (not a weekend outing thing) :rolleyes:Let me know :)

nordique14
08-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey Jason,

I'm not sure whether the Bay Area folks do not check in very often or if they are just not interested. Wes (blk97lsi) will be up for a meet. He doesn't check in here too often. His car is really sweet and in great condition. Wish the same caould be said of mine. :rolleyes: We usually meet in downtown SJ for a beer every month or so. I'll let you you next time we do and we can have a mini-meet then.

-Matt

SVXcellent
08-15-2005, 08:54 PM
I agree. Nobody ever seems to reply...or at least they don't reply to me!
I'm still game for a meet as long as the drive isn't too far / long. Still gotta replace those tires soon. If you guys have decided on a day for the meet, let me know.

-Ken

nordique14
08-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Jason and Ken,

Wes (blk97lsi) and I are going to meet for a beer after work on Friday if you want to join us. BJ's Brewhouse in Cupertino (280 and DeAnza) around 6:00ish. Let me know.

-Matt

Kiteless
08-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Jason and Ken,

Wes (blk97lsi) and I are going to meet for a beer after work on Friday if you want to join us. BJ's Brewhouse in Cupertino (280 and DeAnza) around 6:00ish. Let me know.

-Matt

Hey I would love to go, but I am camping this weekend, going there straight from work on Friday. Please keep me posted thought for the next one Matt you still got my phone number?

SVXcellent: Please look further down in this thread for all the details of the meet I have scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Even if it is just 3 SVX's that is better than 2 or, just one. Not like I am going to go to a meet that I setup if no one else is going to be there.

94svxred: Well it is just a Saturday meet. Mid day. If you have not done so already please look further down in this thread for all the details about the meet. It is Labor Day weekend.

- Jason

SVXcellent
08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey guys,

I won't be able to make it this Friday either. I've got plans as well. Thanks for the invite though. As for the meet on Sept 3rd, does that mean that's the definite date? I will try to attend, but I may be busy that weekend cuz it's a friend's birthday on the 4th. I'll let you know if anything changes, but put me down for now! Thanks!

-Ken

Kiteless
08-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Well it is sounding like it is going to be 3 or 4 people at the most. My friend is going to attend as well. He drives a V6 Tiberon, but he can talk engines and cars about 509000 times better than me.

Yes this is a set date. I do not expect a huge turn out. But who knows. For those of you reading this for the first time, all the details for the meet are in this thread.

Please RSVP by PM'ing me directly. I am willing to still hold this if even 1 other person shows up, but I would like to see at least 2 or 3 SVX owners there besides myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(REPOST OF MEET DETAILS)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make the car meet thast Roo is talking about. Not enough details so close to the event anyway. It was my mistake to be all wishy-washy about the meet details.

This meet is going to happen on September 3rd at beutiful Lake Elizabeth, also called Fremont Central Park. The even starts at noon.

You can see the exact location thanks to the amazing Google Maps.

Click to see Google Map. Look in the center for the lake. (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.547708,-121.958885&spn=0.104859,0.158675&hl=en)

Fremont also has a web site on this park here:

Click here to go to the official web site for this park. (http://www.ci.fremont.ca.us/Recreation/CentralPark/default.htm)

We will hang for an hour or two, how ever long we want, and then drive down as a group to East Ridge Mall in San Jose, CA. Mainly just to shake hands and part ways. I chose this location because it has a BIIIIG parking lot.

The address is
1 Eastridge Mall
San Jose, CA 95122

Link to the Google Maps. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+Ridge+Mall,+San+Jose+CA&ll=37.325471,-121.818549&spn=0.105171,0.158675&num=10&start=0&hl=en)

It does not exactly say Eastridge Mall but it is in the middle where Tully & E. Capitol Expy meet.

So I guess that is about it. I would like to do this at least once every 3 months or so. If that is too frequent, then what about twice a year? The destination would chance every single time, but I would like to keep starting it at Lake Elizabeth for now.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

- Jason

PLEASE RSVP. I will be supplying soda and snacks, but will not know how much to bring unless everybody RSVP's for me. Of course, please feel free to bring some stuff to share as well.

nordique14
08-25-2005, 06:32 PM
My car is currently making funky noises, but that is nothing new. :D I should be able to make it.

-Matt

Kiteless
08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Sounds good. It looks like it is going to be a small meet. But I figure this is the first of many. I would like to meet up at least once or twice a year. We will go from there. Labor Day weekend grows nearer. See you folks on Saturday (The 3rd).

- Jason

norcalsvx
08-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Damm, can't make it on the 3rd

Kiteless
08-26-2005, 10:58 PM

Whats stopping you. Could sure use another SVX out there for this first meet.

- Jason

SVXcellent
08-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm guessing he can't make it cuz of distance. Grass Valley isn't exactly close! Am I right, norcalsvx?

Gravija
08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
i might be able to make it, but fremont might be a little far for my parents to let me drive to.

will i be the youngest person there? im only 17!

norcalsvx
08-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Its not the drive its that we have a house boat rented for that weekend, ill be there for the next one

Kiteless
08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
WellI can understand if you do not want to make the drive. But having a house boat rented is another thing. With some luck there will be others.

Gravija: 17 eh? Well If you would like, send me a PM and I will give you my phone number. They can call me if they like. Please let them know what I have planned for the meet. I am thinking for this first meet we may not drive down to San Jose after all. Just hang out and talk about our rides & drink soda, show off mods if we got em, stuff like that. As far as I can concerned. if you can act like an adult, I do not care what age you are. But I can not stand dealing with the punks still in high school whos mommy bought them a nice car, drives me nuts.

I am looking forward to this meet. I am hoping we can still get a few more RSVP's.

Oh can I hear some suggestions on what kind of soda you would like me to bring. Right now I am going to bring a 6 pack of Dew and a 6 pack of Dr. Pepper or Coke. I am not too fond of Coke, but everyone else seems to dig it.

- Jason

blk97lsi
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I wish I could be there, but instead I get to be in the beautiful country of Canada. I figure that even though I am only there for a week, that is one week I don't have to spend under Bush's iron fist... oops... hope I didn't offend anyone...err... wait, I take that back :D

Have fun everyone! Take pictures!

Earthworm
08-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Where in Canada?

nordique14
08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Watch out for the bears in Banff.

I hear downtown Winnipeg is crawling with them :D

BANFF, Alta. (CP) - A woman has been injured in a surprise encounter with a grizzly sow and her cubs in Banff National Park.

Pam Veinotte, communications manager for Parks Canada, says the incident occurred near a campground near the Lake Minnewanka Trail.

The woman was taken to hospital in Banff and later transferred to Calgary Foothills Hospital.

She is listed in stable condition.

Veinotte says the Minnewanka Trail and the surrounding vicinity have been closed and wardens are evacuating campers from the area as a precaution.

The attack comes just one day after 69-year-old Harvey Robinson of Selkirk, Man., was killed by a black bear near his rural home.

Earthworm
08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Watch out for the bears in Banff.

I hear downtown Winnipeg is crawling with them :D
You bet! There's about 20 polar bears near the Legislature building downtown!

Reference Link (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bears/)

Kiteless
08-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Well this thread seems to have helped to bring the locals out of the wood work. We will have another meet I am sure. Some times even the really good things have to start small.

So it is Tuesday. Can I get a Final role call forom the folks that will be attending. Something like. "I will be there" posted in this thread would be great!

- Jason

nordique14
08-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Bad news from me. I need a new garage door. The only time available is...yep, Saturday. Damn. :(

--Matt

Kiteless
08-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Bay Area Meet scrubbed.

I do not blame Matt and I am not trying to do any kind of guilt trip. We will just have to shoot for another date. Lets try and reschedule for late September. I will post a new thread and hopefully folks will have more open calanders in a month and we will end up with a much better meet.

Thanks for all the good communication.

- Jason

P.S. If anyone wants to just hang on Saturday and talk about our SVX's please let me know.

nordique14
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for not making me feel guilty. :) I do feel bad.

We have had 3 Bay Area meets. I have been to two of them and each time we had only 6 cars. Considering how many SVXs I see here in the South Bay, we should get waaaay more people interested. Hell, I pass one every dayon the way to work! I call it BAA (Bay Area Apathy).

Good to know that there are at least a few other excited SVX owners in the area other than blk97lsi and myself. Zamorush was also a great SVX supporter in the area, but he moved to So Cal.

I think blk97lsi gets back mid-month. And I should be free most days other than Sept 24 (autocrossing that day).

--Matt

Red SVX 92
08-31-2005, 03:35 PM
nordique, zamorush moved to So Cal? Refresh my memory... zamorush is Nic, right? I wish I could meet up with the Bay Area folks again, but I've been down in So Cal most of the time.

If Nic is down here, I'll have to try and recruit him for an LA meet... That way, at least I can tag along to the meet with somebody in an SVX. (mine's long gone, unfortunately) :(

nordique14
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey "Red"!!! Yeah, Nik is going to school down there. I think UCLA, but I could be wrong. I think he took the Outback down with him and he left the SVX up here at his parent's place. Can't say for sure though.

I didn't know you are SVX-less. Sorry to hear that. But not as sorry as I bet you are. :D If you are ever in the BA again, stop by to visit me and the SVX.

-Matt

SVXcellent
08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWW the meet is scrapped? Well let me know if another one is being scheduled...

Red SVX 92
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Hey "Red"!!! Yeah, Nik is going to school down there. I think UCLA, but I could be wrong. I think he took the Outback down with him and he left the SVX up here at his parent's place. Can't say for sure though.

I didn't know you are SVX-less. Sorry to hear that. But not as sorry as I bet you are. :D If you are ever in the BA again, stop by to visit me and the SVX.

-Matt

If it's UCLA, I'll have to ask some friends and see if they know him. Does he visit the site still? I'll pass him a PM or something.

SVXless since 12/2002. Lost it spinning out in flood-like rain, and I've been a crappy driver in the rain since. Couldn't even take the damn carbon fiber hood with me, but I got the amp, subs, and nitrous out. Looking for another SVX, but I need it to be cheap... :rolleyes:

If the planets are in alignment, perhaps I might join you guys for a Bay Area meet. That's if I'm driving up north that given weekend (which is fairly often, actually). I won't have an SVX, but it'll be nice to see an SVX convoy again, and I can always try and keep up. ;)

Kiteless
09-01-2005, 11:59 PM
SVXcellent: Well I am still free on Saturday if you want to meet up some where for lunch and talk abotu cars & stuff. PM me and I will give you my phone number.

nordique14: Please do not feel bad. I think it was you that warned me very early on that this was Labor Day weekend.

OK, Well lets shoot for a Sunday meet. Howabout September 18th? And I totally agree that we need to have more folks interested in a meet. Thanks all,

- Jason