PDA

View Full Version : SVX for engineering student

gcookaustin
02-06-2002, 04:07 PM
I've been looking lately at cars (l'll need one this summer for work)
and when I saw the SVX and how much the price has come down I think I
really want to get one of these! I live in East Tennessee so if you
are relatively close or in the next state over and are thinking about
maybe selling that SVX, or giving it away...:) then let me know!
Probably ready to purchase in about 1 to 2 months. Low price & runs
& not about to break = really good! I remember seeing these at an autoshow here in Knoxville once like 8 years ago and they looked so cool...

svxter
02-06-2002, 04:38 PM
Hey, Garrett

Glad to hear of another E. TN SVX enthusiast.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Check with Earl Duff Subaru in Harriman. Tim, the general manager, is an SVX owner, and they sometimes have them for sale. Or, he might be able/willing to keep his eyes open at the auctions.

2. When you get one, do not take it for service to the dealer on the west end of Kingston Pike, who shall remain nameless. Your reception, should you arrive in an SVX, might be less warm than you would care for. Drive to Harriman. They know the car, plus their shop rate is lower - no fancy high-end showroom.

3. Put the 2nd Annual E.TN meet on your calendar, at present scheduled for May 18-20.

Email or PM me if you would like to get together some weekend.

Good luck on your search.

P. S. There's another thread about a "herd" of SVXes in the Atlanta classifieds. Might be worth digging that one up.

gcookaustin
02-06-2002, 04:49 PM
Yeah l saw that there was a meet in Oak Ridge one time and l got excited because that's where l'm going to be living this summer. In what Atlanta classifieds are the SVX's in, the Atlanta Journal Constitution Classifieds? l saw four in there. l would like to purchase private party because it may be cheaper, but if one shows up at a dealer for around 5000 that would be great!

Aredubjay
02-06-2002, 10:03 PM
There is a Claret, low mileage '92 on e-bay. It has a "buy now" price of 6,500 if the reserve hasnt been met yet. It is in Harriman, and according to the spiel, was once Tim Duff's personal car. Have you seen it?

svxter
02-07-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
There is a Claret, low mileage '92 on e-bay. It has a "buy now" price of 6,500 if the reserve hasnt been met yet. It is in Harriman, and according to the spiel, was once Tim Duff's personal car. Have you seen it?

Must have been his first one, then. Cleo was his personal vehicle before he bought the 97 Laguna Blue that he drives now.

svxter
02-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Yeah l saw that there was a meet in Oak Ridge one time and l got excited because that's where l'm going to be living this summer. In what Atlanta classifieds are the SVX's in, the Atlanta Journal Constitution Classifieds? l saw four in there. l would like to purchase private party because it may be cheaper, but if one shows up at a dealer for around 5000 that would be great!

Then keep your eyes open for a green 95 with a vanity plate reading "ALCYONE". The second meet is scheduled for May 18-20.

I see you found the "herd of SVXes" thread. :)

IBsmileyjo
02-10-2002, 07:04 PM
I just bought my SVX and I'm new to this site. I'd love to know where they have the meet in E TN. I live in Middle TN but I might act like I'm from East TN for a weekend. LOL I think it would be neat to meet others with this car so I can learn more about them!! Please let me know.

Thanks!
Sandy

gcookaustin
02-10-2002, 08:46 PM
l think it's in Oak Ridge.

other than that l don't have any specifics

LarryIII
02-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Garret,

What branch of Eng'r. are you leaning towards? I am an M.E. at the twilight of my professional career (35 years in engieering).

Welcome to the SVX family, I'm glad to see another SVX engineer .

Larry (Now where did I put my slide rule)iii
'97 Bordeaux Pearl LSi / license plate says "SUBYDOO"

or

Larry (Only the engineer gets to blow the train whistle)iii

gcookaustin
02-11-2002, 06:34 AM
Oh, well l'm not exactly in the SVX family _yet_, but l'm working on it! :) l'm an industrial engr. student. Junior year

Aredubjay
02-11-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by IBsmileyjo
I just bought my SVX and I'm new to this site. I'd love to know where they have the meet in E TN. I live in Middle TN but I might act like I'm from East TN for a weekend. LOL I think it would be neat to meet others with this car so I can learn more about them!! Please let me know.

Thanks!
Sandy

Sandy, first, welcome to the Network. You'll love it here. Secondly, yes, the meet is in Oak Ridge, TN. There is already a thread dedicated to the meet. Just watch for it to pop up once in a while to get details (motel, etc.). It was a blast last year. A drive through the backroads, avoiding the huge Hot Rod Show in Gatlinburg (where we'd actually planned to go -- good thing we didn't. Can you imagine the traffic through G-burg!?!?). We went up to Clingman's Dome, then gathered at the local Subaru Dealer in Harriman for a cook-out. Earl Duff Subaru was a kind and gracious host, treating us to Dogs and Burgers and all the fixin's (The owner's son is an SVXer).

Don't know if I'll make the East TN meet this year, but, if I do, I look forward to seeing you there. Last year, we had a total of 13 cars -- 11 of which made the drive, and a couple of which just made the cook-out. Hope to see you there.

immortal_suby
02-12-2002, 06:04 PM
Cool! I am also an I.E. (do the ME's still call you imaginary engineers?)

good luck on finding an SVX and hopefully we'll see you at the next meet.

LarryIII
02-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Cool! I am also an I.E. (do the ME's still call you imaginary engineers?)

good luck on finding an SVX and hopefully we'll see you at the next meet.

Immortal,

It's always nice to meet a "Dusty Trail Engineer"

Larry ( driving the train)iii

svxter
02-12-2002, 07:16 PM

Thanks!
Sandy

It doesn't matter where you live, you're welcome. Last year, we had folks from KY, WV, MD, NC, SC, TN and WI (I think that's all).

Dover - I'm trying to place Dover; seems like I should know where it is, but can't seem to place it, right off.

Detailed information will keep appearing in the East Tenn Meet thread. Stay tuned.

LarryIII
02-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by svxter

Dover - I'm trying to place Dover; seems like I should know where it is, but can't seem to place it, right off.

Bill,

Dover is the capitol of Delaware. It's about an hour south of Wilmington.

Larry (Delaware is the first state)iiii

svxter
02-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by LarryIII

Bill,

Dover is the capitol of Delaware. It's about an hour south of Wilmington.

Larry (Delaware is the first state)iiii

Somehow this post reminds me of a recent discussion of blue crabs.

IBsmileyjo
02-13-2002, 04:31 AM
Oooops wrong Dover! I've never even been to Delaware. The Dover where I'm from is a much smaller and a less well known Dover. If you've ever been to Land Between the Lakes then you've been to Dover. It's in Stewart County. We are at the TN/KY line (Isn't 1/2 of TN? Hehehe). Just think of the map of TN... know that hump in the top? Well, that's us. Just enough to keep the whole state from being straight. LOL Dare to be different I say! I am keeping track of the meet thread! I think that sounds like lots of fun. Unless something drastic happens then I'll be there!

Garrett...BTW.... There is another SVX on ebay. It's in Springfield, MO. There's a "Buy it now" option at 4500.00. Might wanna check it out.

IBsmileyjo
02-13-2002, 04:33 AM
Blue Crabs?????? Should I be concerned that I've become a part of a discussion on Blue Crabs???? <giggle>

Aredubjay
02-13-2002, 08:32 AM
According to Mapblast, I'm only about 3 hours away from Dover, TN. Perhaps we should hook up along the way to Oak Ridge (if I get to go), or, maybe a "micro meet" in the future.

IBsmileyjo
02-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Hey, sounds like a good idea to me. I'll check out a map myself and see where a good place to meet up would be. We've got some time in between so, lemme know if and when you are going.

LarryIII
02-13-2002, 06:25 PM
The only "Land Between the Lakes" that I've been to, is near Calvert City, Kentucky.

Larry III

IBsmileyjo
02-13-2002, 07:37 PM
One and the same Land Between the Lakes... it is about 1/2 and 1/2 (I don't know exact division). Part of it is in Tennessee... and part is in Kentucky. You happened to be on the Northern end of LBL. Just think... you weren't far at all from where I live. Just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it? Hehehe

Aredubjay
02-13-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey, sounds like a good idea to me. I'll check out a map myself and see where a good place to meet up would be. We've got some time in between so, lemme know if and when you are going.

Well, if I go, I'll be taking I-65 to Nashville, then picking up I - Whatever toward the Tri-Cities area. I'm about 2 hours from Nashville and will probably Leave on Friday of the meet. Most likely take the day off to get an early start. I'll let you know closer to the time.

WOW, just for the record. THIS IS POST #4,000! Woohoo!:D

IBsmileyjo
02-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Goood COW! 4,000. That's a lot! Lemme guess!!! You are shy, right? LOL

Anyway, sounds like the meet isn't gonna happen that weekend of May 18-19 (whatever) seems it's conflicting with something else. I don't think they have another date yet. But, we will still have to try to do it... even if it's a "mini meet" as you said. Sounds fun to me.

Nashville is a little over an hour from me. Sounds like that would be a good place to meet up if we head out to Oak Ridge around the same time.

Beav
02-13-2002, 09:31 PM
One and the same Land Between the Lakes... it is about 1/2 and 1/2 (I don't know exact division). Part of it is in Tennessee... and part is in Kentucky. You happened to be on the Northern end of LBL. Just think... you weren't far at all from where I live. Just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it? Hehehe

I'm part of a group of ne'er-do-wells that invades the lakes this time of year to do a bit of eagle watching. Unfortunately we didn't make it his year but we'll be sure to be there again next year.

Beav (always feels fuzzy)

IBsmileyjo
02-14-2002, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Beav

I'm part of a group of ne'er-do-wells that invades the lakes this time of year to do a bit of eagle watching. Unfortunately we didn't make it his year but we'll be sure to be there again next year.

Beav (always feels fuzzy)

Well, you should yell if and when you go back... LBL is a beautiful place! I'm not sure exactly where you entered LBL but if you should be sure to go to Patti's 1800 Settlement in Grand Rivers, KY. It's a WONDERFUL restaurant. People go there from all over. The waitresses dress up in the old timey dresses and the restaurant itself is fixed up really nice. Be sure to go to the bathroom in the back... there's an Indian in the bath tub! Lots to check out... it's a must if you are that far already. Come to think of it... LBL might be a cool place for an SVX meet... wouldn't be nearly as had on the trannies as East TN. :O)

Beav
02-14-2002, 05:36 AM
Patti's is where we normally eat on Saturday night. Good food, nice people.

Beav

Aredubjay
02-14-2002, 01:51 PM

Well, you should yell if and when you go back... LBL is a beautiful place! I'm not sure exactly where you entered LBL but if you should be sure to go to Patti's 1800 Settlement in Grand Rivers, KY. It's a WONDERFUL restaurant. People go there from all over. The waitresses dress up in the old timey dresses and the restaurant itself is fixed up really nice. Be sure to go to the bathroom in the back... there's an Indian in the bath tub! Lots to check out... it's a must if you are that far already. Come to think of it... LBL might be a cool place for an SVX meet... wouldn't be nearly as had on the trannies as East TN. :O)

Hey, Patti's would be a great place to have our "micro-meet." I haven't had one of those Monster Pork Chops in YEARS!!

Green1995SVX
02-14-2002, 03:09 PM

I haven't had one of those Monster Pork Chops in YEARS!!

Would you like fries with that?? :D :D

-Mike

Beav
02-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Fries would be o.k with me, just everyone keep their taters to themselves, please. ;)

Beav

IBsmileyjo
02-14-2002, 09:07 PM

Hey, Patti's would be a great place to have our "micro-meet." I haven't had one of those Monster Pork Chops in YEARS!!

Ooh yeah, and I really like any excuse to go there and eat. I like the chicken!! Ooh it's wonderful... but the bread is the best part... I'm more of a baked potato person myself... no fries please! LOL Gimme a time or at least a general range of time that would be good for you and perhaps we can get the mini meet together.

Aredubjay
02-14-2002, 10:58 PM

Ooh yeah, and I really like any excuse to go there and eat. I like the chicken!! Ooh it's wonderful... but the bread is the best part... I'm more of a baked potato person myself... no fries please! LOL Gimme a time or at least a general range of time that would be good for you and perhaps we can get the mini meet together.

Let me check schedules. I know my wife is out of town next weekend. Don't know if I'll have my car this weekend.:mad: , She's also gone the weekend before Reading. So much to do, so little time. I'll let you know. The only reason I'm figuring the wife's schedule is because I would be a dead man if I went to Patti's without her. :D

Beav
02-14-2002, 11:04 PM
I might be up for that too, if I wouldn't be butting in. Let me know what date you decide on and I'll try to fit it in. The doc won't let me eat the pork chops though... :(

Beav

Aredubjay
02-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Beav
I might be up for that too, if I wouldn't be butting in. Let me know what date you decide on and I'll try to fit it in. The doc won't let me eat the pork chops though... :(

Beav

Butting in?!?!? I don't think so! I was hoping you'd pipe up, but didn't want to presume to ask you to make the long drive.

That settles it. We've got to do it now. Hopefully, after I check work schedule and such tomorrow, I'll know something.

Lookin' forward to it.

IBsmileyjo
02-15-2002, 05:04 AM

The only reason I'm figuring the wife's schedule is because I would be a dead man if I went to Patti's without her. :D

Well, I should guess so! Hehehe

svxter
02-15-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Would you like fries with that?? :D :D

-Mike

And does a shake come with those fries?
:D

Aredubjay
02-15-2002, 09:53 AM
I only shake my tater 'round the folks I know. :D

SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE, SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE, SHAKE YOUR TATER. SHAKE YOUR TATER!
(With apologies to KC and the Sunshine Band.)

svxter
02-15-2002, 09:55 AM
Actually, I was stealing that line from a Chris Albert King album. ;)