PDA

View Full Version : Portable MP3 or new Headunit Stereo advise

AnthraXFan
06-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey guys...it's been a while. Have a couple questions. I have a 1996 SVX L series. It has just the stock cassette player installed, with a blank faceplate just below(i've seen there is an empty wiring harness when i took that plate off). I'm looking into getting something that will play MP3's. I currently have a portable MP3 player, going through a cassette adapter, and well, the cord is loose and the sound is just bad, mp3 player keeps freezing up. Would it be adviseable to buy another portable mp3 player, and see if there is a way to hook the aux out on the player into some sort of adapter on the bottom wiring harness, or should i get a CD/MP3 headunit player and put that in for the bottom deck. Is this even a possible setup to use, to leave the stock cassette on the top, with an aftermarket CD/MP3 headunit in the bottom deck? Looking to spend around $150 or less. I'm quite a novice, and am leary about doing much of any electrical wiring on my own, besides just plugging things in :) Thanks for any input.

McTaff
06-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Would it be adviseable to buy another portable mp3 player, and see if there is a way to hook the aux out on the player into some sort of adapter on the bottom wiring harness, or should i get a CD/MP3 headunit player and put that in for the bottom deck.

I wouldn't stuff around with it.

I'd remove the stock player, box it and keep it safe, and buy a CD/MP3 headunit and put it in place of the stocker. It's better all round, and a decent installer will do a good job of an adapter from the harness. It's going to look the neatest.

Alternatively, you could stack the second unit in below if they are both DIN size, I believe - at least the stereo unit housing is double DIN in the Aussie vehicles (they came with a double DIN Panasonic CD/Tape/Tuner).

SubaSteevo
06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey guys...it's been a while. Have a couple questions. I have a 1996 SVX L series. It has just the stock cassette player installed, with a blank faceplate just below(i've seen there is an empty wiring harness when i took that plate off). I'm looking into getting something that will play MP3's. I currently have a portable MP3 player, going through a cassette adapter, and well, the cord is loose and the sound is just bad, mp3 player keeps freezing up. Would it be adviseable to buy another portable mp3 player, and see if there is a way to hook the aux out on the player into some sort of adapter on the bottom wiring harness, or should i get a CD/MP3 headunit player and put that in for the bottom deck. Is this even a possible setup to use, to leave the stock cassette on the top, with an aftermarket CD/MP3 headunit in the bottom deck? Looking to spend around $150 or less. I'm quite a novice, and am leary about doing much of any electrical wiring on my own, besides just plugging things in :) Thanks for any input.

You wont be able to find something to add an aux input to the stock unit

My recomendations:
If you use the tape player-Replace the stock with a double-din CD/MP3/cass unit
If not-Replace the stock with a single din CD/MP3
If you want to keep the stock look-Add on an external CD/MP3 changer

You *could* leave the stock one and add the new one by splicing the wires, although it would not be advisable and could cause electrical problems/a fire.

Rotorflyr
06-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I have the CD player as well as the am-fm/casette player but the cd player is finally starting to go, so I figure I'll replace it with a cd/mp3/satilite ready unit, then will probably go with a plug n play unit so it can be used in both cars as well as at home.

kuoh
06-21-2005, 10:32 PM
I got a headunit with RCA inputs and one of these (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8fSutW7tOhz/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50800&I=575DMP1) 20 Gig MP3 players.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/575/h575DMP1-f_LD.jpeg

I never have to change a CD again! :D

KuoH

Noir
06-21-2005, 10:47 PM
This may not be a bad option depending on what type of media you use.

http://www.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/60/62.JPG

It's the JVC KD-AR960. This sucker can take SD cards which go up to 2GB now along with a nice ultra II transfer rate. Obviously it depends on what devices you currently use. I have a PDA, a portable media center that uses SD, and a built in SD reader in my laptop which makes life grand with a handful of SD cards. You can have different types of music on different discs or movies on the cards. Having this head unit would be a great addition to my arsenal and may suit your needs. They have a few models that are more expensive, but this is the cheapest one.

Good luck on your search.

clarkgs240
06-22-2005, 01:34 AM
KuoH - I was considering getting one of those omni fi hard drive players. How's it working out for you? and where did you install the hard drive? any pics?

kuoh
06-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Here are a couple of pics I took just after the install. I haven't gotten around to taking better shots, or cleaning up for that matter. I really need a second SVX so I can keep one in mint condition. :o

FYI: I've got an extra one brand new including the WIFI adapter for wirelessly syncing your music with the home PC if anyone is interested.

KuoH

http://members.aol.com/kuoh/pic1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/kuoh/pic2.jpg

Jayahalasi
06-22-2005, 09:44 AM
that omnifi looks awesome

especially for only 200 bucks

how does it hook up to your cars speakers does it have regular hook ups like a cd player or do you have to run it through something else?

kuoh
06-22-2005, 11:29 AM
It has line level RCA outputs for use with either a deck with RCA in or an RF modulator for decks without.

KuoH

clarkgs240
06-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Sweet! Any reason why you placed it on top of the Deck?

kuoh
06-22-2005, 03:20 PM
The Pioneer's CD load slot is at the very top of the unit, so I didn't want it at the top of the cage. I find it easier to load CDs when the slot is in the middle where the AC control doesn't get in the way.

KuoH