PDA

View Full Version : External E-Z pass ?

pnyklr
06-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Special Vehicle Listing: Exterior Tags Required as of 5/04

The vehicles listed below are equipped with special windshields that contain metal in the glass that prevents the E-ZPass tag from being read properly. Customers with these windshields must obtain exterior tags. There may be other vehicles that have specialized windshields as an option that may prevent an E-ZPass tag from being read properly. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of these windshields, contact the dealer where you purchased your car.

Buick Roadmaster All
Cadillac Catera 99-01
Chevrolet Lumina Van Prior to 2002
Venture Prior to 2002
Ford Crown Victoria* 1987-1994
Taurus* Prior to 1995
Oldsmobile Silhouette Prior to 2002
Pontiac Trans Sport Prior to 2002
Montana Prior to 2002
Subaru SVX All

Anyone have a way around it?

n00b on demand
06-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah stick the regular ez-pass out the window....works for me and i been doing it for the past year. I hate the liscence plate tag.

pnyklr
06-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Yea i tried that still didnt work I can get the tag on the front but I need a damn license bracket 1st !!

n00b on demand
06-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Wow im shocked it didnt work....i usually hold mine out of th sun roof....always works for me.

kuroneko_sama
06-19-2005, 10:06 PM
under the grill maybe?

mikecg
06-20-2005, 05:08 AM
If you've replaced your windshield it may work inside now. I cracked mine about 2 years ago. I got an interal EZPass and it works.

MpSVX
06-20-2005, 06:19 AM
what is an e-z pass :confused:

n00b on demand
06-20-2005, 08:12 AM
SOmething for the east coast people when going through the tolls....because as a new yorker...we have many many many bridges and tolls :rolleyes:

Hocrest
06-20-2005, 08:14 AM
EZ Pass is an electronic tag for the toll booths across this region.

I guess it's called by other names in different regions...
Florida is something like "SunPass"??

edit: 'doh... I typed to slow...

ssnsltd
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
I just set it in the rear deck between the speaker grills.
Works fine.

kuroneko_sama
06-21-2005, 09:42 PM
and ez pass is an electronic device that automatically pays tolls for you via an account as you pass through them, that way you dont have to stop and use actual change, the state of nh has just finished conversion of these devices and they are going for only $5 a unit so get them quick if your in NH because they will be at $30 soon

pnyklr
06-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I got the external one going to try it tonight

"If someone backs into it its a $29 fee to replace it"

~*~JenSVX~*~
06-22-2005, 10:50 PM
I've used the internal one out of the sunroof also with no problem... But I just got my own account so i got the external. I don't mind it, it's better than having to hold the other one out of the sunroof, esoecially in the case of rain!!!

Jen

pnyklr
06-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Ya I got the external one I used it coming back from the dealer in Hewlett I bought the car from the external one works fine

UniqueAngle
07-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Anyone have one of those external EZ-Pass thingies run off on their own yet?

NH isn't sellin'g 'em for $5 much longer (they're loosing money). But, I hear you can buy them in PA for ~$3. Don't hold me to that though.

strange179
07-02-2005, 07:10 AM
I got an EZ-Pass a few years back when I was regularly driving to and through NY. I knew how well my radar detector worked :rolleyes: so I made sure to look at the list and wasn't surprised to find the SVX on there. I got the external pass. It worked great and since I had a black SVX at the time it was actually fairly well hidden. The only problem came in when my g/f at the time was in an accident and the EZ-Pass was damaged beyond use. I then ran into the same problem that pnyklr was mentioning. The EZ-Pass people wanted me to pay for the stupid pass even though the accident had totally been the other driver's fault. I didn't have any luck getting my insurance company to pay for it either but that may not always be the case.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that if you read the "acceptable use" or whatever they call it you'll find out that holding or waving the EZ-Pass while going through a booth is actually heavily frowened upon. From the EZ-Pass web site: "c) If you attempt to use a tag without properly attaching it to your vehicle, you may incur an administrative fee up to $25." So, just be careful that they don't see you or catch you on camera doing that. I'm sure they just love to charge an extra $25 whenever they can.

ok that's all I've got for now
Jay

Green1995SVX
07-05-2005, 12:33 AM
I have mine mounted on the rear deck between the speakers. No camera tickets yet. Years ago when i first got my EZ-Pass the bumper mount units hadnt come out yet, so this is all i have. :)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Green1995SVX/27654.JPG

Seraph
07-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I have the external one. The internal one WILL work if you have a base model 94. Not sure about 95s

On my 94L it worked fine. Then on the LSi and 92LS-L it does not work so I have to get the external one.

Make sure you are being charged at the right rate. In IL, I had to fight it out with IPASS. They were billing my car at the Semi Truck rates.

Green1995SVX
07-07-2005, 01:53 AM
I have the external one. The internal one WILL work if you have a base model 94. Not sure about 95s

On my 94L it worked fine. Then on the LSi and 92LS-L it does not work so I have to get the external one.

Make sure you are being charged at the right rate. In IL, I had to fight it out with IPASS. They were billing my car at the Semi Truck rates.

It worked perfectly in my 95L-awd