PDA

View Full Version : East Tenn Meet

svxter
02-04-2002, 07:07 PM
A reminder - 2nd Annual East Tenn meet - May 18,19,20. The format will be about the same as last year. Friday evening social for those who interested. Saturday will be a scenic drive, and probably a cookout at Earl Duff Subaru. Sunday brunch at the Garden Plaza. If you're interested, let me know, so I can begin making the reservations - we were able to get a pretty good rate last year. Hopefully, we can get the same deal this year.

huck369
02-05-2002, 04:59 AM
I plan on being there Bill, so make me first on the list!:cool:
I'll bring the 5-speed, (note to self, get the inner tie rod replaced before May):confused:
Looking forward to it.

Aredubjay
02-05-2002, 08:02 AM
Bill, the meet is on my calendar, but, attendance is still a "maybe" at this point. With Reading in April and Lafayette in July . . . well, we'll just have to see -- although I really WANT to be there. Last year was a great time (aside from Colin going off on the poor kid with the vaccuum:D ).

svxter
02-05-2002, 01:42 PM
I need to talk to the Garden Plaza folks very soon, so some reasonable estimate of numbers would be helpful.

Vacuum? Somehow I missed that tale.

Aredubjay
02-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by svxter
Vacuum? Somehow I missed that tale.

You don't remember? We were all sitting in the bar . . . talking about formally organizing "the Network" . . . when some kid started running the vac . . . and Colin went to have a word with him . . . ??? The moment was an absolute treasure. :D

svxter
02-05-2002, 01:54 PM
just had to jiggle the brain cells in the right way....:eek:

Aredubjay
02-05-2002, 01:59 PM
just had to jiggle the brain cells in the right way....:eek:

Yes, once I put us at "the bar" things became clearer, huh? It's usually the opposite. It was also shocking to see Ron Mummert drinking beer instead of wine from a . . . well, you know. :D

SVXphile
02-05-2002, 05:51 PM
<It was also shocking to see Ron Mummert drinking beer instead of wine from a . . . well, you know>

Yeah....and no STRAW either!!!! :eek: Don

PS....Bill, scratch me in as a strong MAYBE. I will have to see how my "personal days" look as we get closer to May; school will still be in session. I will have to use a few, just to make the Reading meet. Don

svxter
02-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Will, do, Don. I had thought about perhaps moving it back a bit, but don't want to get too close to July.

Ron Mummert
02-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by SVXphile
<It was also shocking to see Ron Mummert drinking beer instead of wine from a . . . well, you know>

Yeah....and no STRAW either!!!! :eek: Don

PS....Bill, scratch me in as a strong MAYBE. I will have to see how my "personal days" look as we get closer to May; school will still be in session. I will have to use a few, just to make the Reading meet. Don

Don - just so you won't think ill of me, I did try to order a Box o' Blue Nun at the baa', but I forgot I was in the South, & they aren't as sophisticated as We of superior breeding from the North. They didn't serve Box o' Bud either, so I settled for a glass o' Heine. Ok - 6 glasses.
Bill - I too have marked the calendar. I guess the big IF is the July, "Miss This & Be Eternally Shamed", event. I'd say by early May if most of the parts are still clinging to the chassis, I'll be with you guys for the "Five-Speed n' Smokies Tour".

Ron.

svxter
02-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Ah, yes, Ron, you should have asked for the Redneck 7 Course Special. That's a pizza and a six-pack.

SVXphile
02-06-2002, 10:36 AM
<I did try to order a Box o' Blue Nun at the baa'>

....to which the bartender replied, "Sorry sir, we have none."

....to which Ron said, "It's nothing to be sorry about my good man! I'll take a bottle."

:rolleyes: Don

montypython
02-07-2002, 05:01 AM
Bill, at the moment I'd say say there's about 0% chance of me being there. What with Reading in April and the 10th in July I doubt I can fit May in. Too bad because we really enjoyed last year.
So the "poor kid" with the vacuum can rest easy for at least another year:D

svxter
02-07-2002, 01:57 PM
Well, you will be missed, but how well I know how limited travel time and funds can be. Hopefully, we'll see you at Indianapolis.

Aredubjay
02-07-2002, 02:58 PM
Well, you will be missed, but how well I know how limited travel time and funds can be. Hopefully, we'll see you at Indianapolis.

Yes, Colin, If I make it, you and Irene will be sorely missed. We'll play the "Spam" song and run the vacuum for 15 seconds in your honor. :D

immortal_suby
02-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Kim and I plan on being there again. Hopefully I'll be driving a 5 speed by that time, but if not we'll take her's.
Is John coming to take the video while we cook our trannys climbing that big hill?

gcookaustin
02-07-2002, 11:06 PM
Hey, i'd really like to go, assuming l get an SVX by then. lf not, l can at least look...:)

RSVX
02-08-2002, 10:41 PM
I can try to make it, mark me down at 50% possibility. I have familiy in the Asheville, NC area and I finished HighSchool there in 94. So it could easily be a dually motivated trip. Not to mention the 5 speed may be there... the temtations rise.

svxter
02-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Kim and I plan on being there again. Hopefully I'll be driving a 5 speed by that time, but if not we'll take her's.
Is John coming to take the video while we cook our trannys climbing that big hill?

Hopefully, John will be there and bring his camera again. We may go somewhere different, though. Small hills.

svxter
02-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Hey, i'd really like to go, assuming l get an SVX by then. lf not, l can at least look...:)

Sure, come on over. I'll bet we can find an empty seat for you, if you don't have your own SVX by then. You could ride with Abbie and I.

svxter
02-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by RSVX
I can try to make it, mark me down at 50% possibility. I have familiy in the Asheville, NC area and I finished HighSchool there in 94. So it could easily be a dually motivated trip. Not to mention the 5 speed may be there... the temtations rise.

Great. Unless something really unexpected happens, Huck is planning to bring his 5-speed conversion down from KY. Plus, it'll be fun in any event.

IBsmileyjo
02-11-2002, 07:46 PM
I'm highly interested in attending! I've penciled the date in and it looks like it would be a good weekend for me. I do have a question though... What would you say the majority of the group composed of? I mean, are we talking mostly men or women, couples, older, younger.... Just so I have a general idea of what I'm looking at here. LOL Wouldn't wanna be wearing my boots to a ball. Anyway, go ahead and count me in. Please do let me know what to expect. Thanks!!!

Sandy

gcookaustin
02-11-2002, 07:54 PM
well, l'm a college student. l will be there whether l get an SVX or not, but l guess my participation depends more or less on that! :)

svxter
02-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by IBsmileyjo
I'm highly interested in attending! I've penciled the date in and it looks like it would be a good weekend for me. I do have a question though... What would you say the majority of the group composed of? I mean, are we talking mostly men or women, couples, older, younger.... Just so I have a general idea of what I'm looking at here. LOL Wouldn't wanna be wearing my boots to a ball. Anyway, go ahead and count me in. Please do let me know what to expect. Thanks!!!

Sandy

Last year, it was mostly couples, but with some singles also. Ages ranged from 20's to 70's. And hey, boots are cool. It's a pretty casual group.

mudfoot76
02-11-2002, 10:44 PM
Count me an a strong "maybe" as well. I don't know what work will be doing to me at that point, but I would love to attend. I'd love to check out one of these 5spd conversions I hear so much about too :D

Aredubjay
02-11-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by mudfoot76
Count me an a strong "maybe" as well. I don't know what work will be doing to me at that point, but I would love to attend. I'd love to check out one of these 5spd conversions I hear so much about too :D

Hey, mudfoot. If I wind up going, and you can make it also, perhaps we can meet up along the way and convoy in together. Let me know as it comes closer to the time.

EDIT: Never mind. I just did a Mapblast to check out our routes. You'll come nowhere near me. The good news is, you could probably hook up with Huck, who'll be driving his five speed. :)

Hope to see you there.

svxter
02-12-2002, 02:10 PM
Well, if I could read a calendar properly. I was saying May 18 -20. Actually it looks like that weekend is May 17th (Friday) through the 19th.

When is Memorial Day?

mudfoot76
02-13-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hey, mudfoot. If I wind up going, and you can make it also, perhaps we can meet up along the way and convoy in together. Let me know as it comes closer to the time.

EDIT: Never mind. I just did a Mapblast to check out our routes. You'll come nowhere near me.

If there are some fun driving routes in the mix, I can find the free time, and it isn't _too_ far out of the way, I'll make the effort :cool:
That counts double if Huck is in the mix!

svxter
02-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Well, a glitch has developed. Tim Duff has prior commitments for the weekend of Mary 17-18. The prior weekend is the end of our semester, graduation, etc., so that one is not an option for me. Memorial Day is the 27th, the Monday of the following weekend. That may or may not be a possibility. The best date at the moment appears to be May 31-June 2. I'll have more information tomorrow, and will post a revised schedule ASAP. I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion.

svxter
02-21-2002, 01:50 PM
I've had to shuffle dates again, in order to be able to work around our sponsor's committment. But this should be the last move. The meet is scheduled for June 7, 8 and 9th. The headquarters hotel will be the Garden Plaza, and there will be a block of rooms reserved.

Again, I apologize for having to move the date around, but it was necessary to find a weekend that wasn't a holiday, or not already filled up one way or another.

OK, so look at your calendars and let me know.

IBsmileyjo
02-21-2002, 09:05 PM
Well, darn. That's a bad weekend for me. Ooh well, perhaps I'll be able to catch it next year.

montypython
02-24-2002, 08:27 AM
I've had to shuffle dates again, in order to be able to work around our sponsor's committment. But this should be the last move. The meet is scheduled for June 7, 8 and 9th. The headquarters hotel will be the Garden Plaza, and there will be a block of rooms reserved.

Again, I apologize for having to move the date around, but it was necessary to find a weekend that wasn't a holiday, or not already filled up one way or another.

Bill, if you keep moving this thing around you might hit a weekend when I CAN attend, and then you'll be sorry ;)

mudfoot76
02-24-2002, 09:44 PM
The meet is scheduled for June 7, 8 and 9th. The headquarters hotel will be the Garden Plaza, and there will be a block of rooms reserved.

Regretfully, I cannot attend these dates. Hopefully I'll get to meet at least some of you in Lafayette, in July...

huck369
02-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Me and Carol should still be there.:)

svxter
02-25-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by montypython

Bill, if you keep moving this thing around you might hit a weekend when I CAN attend, and then you'll be sorry ;)

Au contraire. You'd be welcomed with a 21-vacuum cleaner salute.

It's not going to be changed again. I had to work around holidays and sponsor committments, as well as my own committments. The lesson is, that for next year, I'll start much earlier.

I'm waiting for the contract from the hotel; as soon as that arrives reservation information will be available.

svxter
02-25-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by IBsmileyjo
Well, darn. That's a bad weekend for me. Ooh well, perhaps I'll be able to catch it next year.

Sorry to hear that. There's a pretty fair sized SVX contingent in TN, though not all of them show up here. Last year, there were about five or six "locals" that never get on the Network.

Like you say, maybe next year.

svxter
02-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Today, I signed and FAX'ed the room contract for the meet to the Garden Plaza in Oak Ridge. There are not a lot of rooms available, so it'll be first come first serve. The rates are $67.00/night, plus tax for either a king or double room. You can call 865 481 2468 directly, or use their 1.800 3 GARDEN reservation number. They also have a website you can use: http://home.sprynet.com/~rascoll/hotel1.htm

Be sure to request the SVX meet rate.

If those run out, there are a number of other motels in the immediate vicinity, and I'll post numbers for those later.

svxter
03-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Just a reminder. If you're coming, and haven't made your room reservations, do it soon. There are fewer rooms than we were able to block out last year. If you can't get a reservation, let me know,and I'll post information on other accomodations.

Thanks

svxter
04-15-2002, 02:54 PM
Just a reminder. June is on the way.