PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys..

SilverSpear
06-09-2005, 12:25 AM
I know it has been a little over a month since i last posted, i promised the new fiberglass mods, and i did them. The hood is done, remodified bumper, grill, rims......... i will post pics in those couple of days. But guys, i have one question about a product i stumbled at while browsing the web: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???
http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/venom_400_computer_module/subaru/

Landshark
06-09-2005, 12:49 AM
I know it has been a little over a month since i last posted, i promised the new fiberglass mods, and i did them. The hood is done, remodified bumper, grill, rims......... i will post pics in those couple of days. But guys, i have one question about a product i stumbled at while browsing the web: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???

"These Venom 400s increase horsepower by 25 percent in the 1,000 to 5,000 rpm range..."

so, 230hp x 1.25 = 287.5hp ........... uh, i don't think so.

feel free to be our guinea pig, though. :D

SilverSpear
06-09-2005, 01:05 AM
"These Venom 400s increase horsepower by 25 percent in the 1,000 to 5,000 rpm range..."

Why you don't think so? look i am no genius in SVX electronic mapping or so, but after i have seen what the V4 chip did to my car, my faith in such stuff is beginning to increase... why not an increase by 25% is not reachable?

and sorry, i didn't get your comment about the "guinea pig" thing.. :confused:

RASchemel
06-09-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm with you spear, you can do alot with speed chips. But why only those two years?

http://store.directauto.com/performance-and-styling-engine-performance-venom-400-module-subaru-svx.html
its cheaper here.

msvx95
06-09-2005, 03:37 AM

He means for you to be the first person to try it out on your SVX. I don't think anyone has done it yet.

SilverSpear
06-09-2005, 04:08 AM
Oh ok... but before the price saving and stuff, i need to have many opinions about it... come on guys, help me out. :cool: :cool:

Matthewmongan
06-09-2005, 05:56 AM
25% gains are ambitious to say the least. i wish they had technical data on what it does rather then talking about their gains. it looks like it dumps more fuel in, look at ecutune sg 1, if those gains were possible we would have them. those things are ike the miricle diets you see on tv, with people holding out the waist on their "fat pants" and the fine print that says 'results are not typical'

SilverSpear
06-09-2005, 06:24 AM
I totally agree Mongan to what you said, but think of it that way: I accept that excess fuel be dumped in order for me to get that additional 25% increase. isn't equal somehow to the turbo effect? and cheaper without major modification on your engine? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :cool:

Matthewmongan
06-09-2005, 06:36 AM
I totally agree Mongan to what you said, but think of it that way: I accept that excess fuel be dumped in order for me to get that additional 25% increase. isn't equal somehow to the turbo effect? and cheaper without major modification on your engine? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :cool:

no, you would be running rich as all hell. without the air to atomize the fuel into a combustable form most your not going to get (that much) power. their is also a danger of detonation with a rich fuel chart because all the fuel might not burn off. a turbo crams air into the engine and the management ups the fuel accordingly. this is not to say that their will be no improvments just not the ones they are saying.

SilverSpear
06-09-2005, 06:38 AM
here is a link about Venom 400 specs:
http://www.coximport.com/venom/400.html
and there are Q & A's at the bottom of page.

sadly it is only for cars with OBD II engines, it means SVX's from 95-97.

SilverSpear
06-09-2005, 06:48 AM
no, you would be running rich as all hell. without the air to atomize the fuel into a combustable form most your not going to get (that much) power. their is also a danger of detonation with a rich fuel chart because all the fuel might not burn off. a turbo crams air into the engine and the management ups the fuel accordingly. this is not to say that their will be no improvments just not the ones they are saying.

But doesn't this device stabilize the Air/fuel mix? not just fuel need? what if i installed a bigger air filter? doesn't this device reprogram the CO unit?

sicksubie
06-09-2005, 07:31 AM
I thought that the only OBD-II SVX's were the 96 and 97. Not 95

Bwana
06-09-2005, 09:21 AM
I thought that the only OBD-II SVX's were the 96 and 97. Not 95

That's correct.

And silver, it's not about how big your filter is...the engine only pulls in a certain amount of air no matter how big the filter is. In order to use the extra fuel being put in, you would need some way to [i]force[i] more air into the engine (aka turbo).

mbtoloczko
06-09-2005, 09:53 AM

That thing is basically a more advanced version of LAN's Stage I ecutune. LAN's stage one richens the afr uniformly across the entire rpm range while the venom richens the afr by different amounts along the rpm range. Since the afr for the stock SVX is already pretty darn good, there's no more than a few HP to be gained over stock. No way that the venom is going to give you 25% more power. Maybe 2.5% more power though. :-)))

sicksubie
06-09-2005, 10:22 AM
What do you mean that the AFR is basically good. I thought that the SVX runs way lean. Which if that's true the gains would be higher.

mbtoloczko
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Nah, it doesn't run way lean. All of the wideband afr measurements on stock engines have come from O2 sensors placed after the catalytic converters. Cats tend to lean out the afr signal. My wideband O2 sensor is before any cats. With the Impreza RS fpr installed in my car, the afr is too rich during aggressive driving (ranges from 12.5:1 at lower rpm to 11.5:1 at redline). I want to reinstall my stock fpr and get some afr measurements, but so far, no time to do the exchange. I'm guessing that with the stock fpr, the afr will range from 13.5:1 at low rpm to 12.5:1 at redline which would be a just a little lean at low rpm but spot on at high rpm.

Earthworm
06-09-2005, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't trust it. Especially for that price. You may as well get the cheap ebay resistors for the MAF sensor...it does the same thing.

At least the ECUTune chip does it's best to correct the poor fuel maps inherent in the OEM code.

SilverSpear
06-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Thank you all guys for your advice concerning this issue. It's nice to have good buddies like all of you who always show the truth... Decision: Not buy :D :D

TomsSVX
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
94 ecu is different from the 93 and 92 because it includes an exhaust temp sensor intot he configuration. So the 94 and 95 include this sensor. The reason the 96 and 97 models are not included is because they are OBDII equipt. I do not believe in these kinds of power chips... especially for that price.. I myslef would not try to use one of these. And BTW detonation happens when timing is too far advanced or lack of fuel(leaning out) Pre-detonation is when the engine sputters after the ingition is turned off, due to excess fuelt hat has no been burnt.

Tom

Earthworm
06-11-2005, 04:32 PM
94 ecu is different from the 93 and 92 because it includes an exhaust temp sensor intot he configuration.Are you sure about that?

I've run an ECU from a 95 in my 92 and vice versa no problem.

SVX-FF
06-11-2005, 09:43 PM
and sorry, i didn't get your comment about the "guinea pig" thing.. :confused:

To answer that question, a guinea pig is a test animal that is use for experimental stuff. They usually die too :eek:

Steve

TomsSVX
06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
well maybe it just bypasses in yours. I know that when I swapped in the 92 motor I had to use one of my my old wiring harnesses to plug in my temp sensor since the 92 didn't have it.

Tom

SilverSpear
06-12-2005, 11:57 PM
To answer that question, a guinea pig is a test animal that is use for experimental stuff. They usually die too :eek:

Steve

i don't want that to happen to my baby... :( :(