PDA

View Full Version : K&N Vs. Green air filter

Jayahalasi
06-02-2005, 07:11 AM
I no there are pros and cons to each. Can some one please tell me their opinion of (especially if you use one on YOUR car)

any help would be appreciated as I am Most likely Buying one or the other within the next couple of days.
thanks

SubaSteevo
06-02-2005, 07:33 AM
I have the K&N, honestly I didn't really notice any improvement over the stock one

thundering02
06-02-2005, 07:40 AM
I plan on getting the green here soon I'll post a real respone at that time.

Jayahalasi
06-02-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm Leaning towards the green but have heard there can be some problems with the cone filters and wasn't sure if its worthwhile.

SVXRide
06-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm running a Green panel filter...no problems.
-Bill

lhopp77
06-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Gone back to stock on mine that have some other make. No apparent difference in performance.

Lee

Jayahalasi
06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Green Air filter
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/svx-motorsport-accessories/ourbeshramin.html

are any of these the same?
or are they drop ins?
http://iraterides.com/sportcompact/store/listCategoriesAndProductsByVeh.asp?idCategory=284&curPage=1&idModel=2691&YYYY=1995

sorry im just confused

Bobb
06-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Jay, I would stay away from oiled filters. My check engine light came on and it was oil on the MAF wire which could not be cleaned. So 300.00 plus bucks later I wonder were the oil came from. I decided it must have come from the K and N filter. In another way you would want good filtering first and air flow second on a daily driver to keep the junk out of your engine. The SVX has its intake air coming from the passenger side wheel well which is at least the coolest air in the car. The cone filters take air from under the hood which has to be the hottest air in the car. This will cause less HP and I for one don't want less. So unless you drive at maximum RPMs at all times I would stick with a more or less stock filter. Happy filtering and take care, BOBB

Matthewmongan
06-02-2005, 12:45 PM
i use the blitz style intake. alot of people say im sucking junk into the engine,but the particulate mater is small enough to be burnt in the chamber. i was forced to do this, i had something living in my resonator and it would fill up with water soaking the dropin filter. im thinking about mounting it in the left fender once i get the inner fender to stop sagging.

Bobb
06-02-2005, 03:35 PM
i use the blitz style intake. alot of people say im sucking junk into the engine,but the particulate mater is small enough to be burnt in the chamber. i was forced to do this, i had something living in my resonator and it would fill up with water soaking the dropin filter. im thinking about mounting it in the left fender once i get the inner fender to stop sagging.

Hi Matthew, All that small junk is abrasive and will not do nice things to parts like valve stems, piston rings, throttle body parts, etc. If it was just a matter of keeping out the big stuff we could use chiken wire for a filter. I think you can remove the part of the intake that is in the fender well and clean it out. Take care, BOBB

Matthewmongan
06-02-2005, 04:12 PM
i wish i could bobb. its not that its dirty its that half of it was missing (no joke their is a huge hole in it with spider web cracks) and it fills up with water because my inner fender is f'd up. eventually i would like to get a real filter once i can figure out a way to keep it dry.

intellibomb
06-02-2005, 06:46 PM
i got my car and drove it for about 150 miles with a stock (albeit very dirty :rolleyes: ) filter, and it was alright.

i replaced it with K&N panel filter, and the difference was apparent. it wasnt dramatic, but it seems to breathe better. i know that it is much louder now when you punch it, and the idle is ever-so-slightly louder.

oother than that, it wasnt too dramatic. it seems to be most effective on the highway, truthfully, at higher speeds

Chiketkd
06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
I previously had a K&N on my car for a couple thousand miles with no issues. Currently have an STI panel filter...

-Chike

n00b on demand
06-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I previously had a K&N on my car for a couple thousand miles with no issues. Currently have an STI panel filter...

-Chike

That K&N sits proudly in my airbox now :D

NikFu S.
06-03-2005, 06:10 PM
I will never go back to a hi flow filter after seeing the difference between what the paper one catches and what the hi flow doesn't.

Thinking of just going with an STi panel.

n00b on demand
06-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Does the STi filter ever need to be replaced like the K&N doesn't?

Chiketkd
06-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Does the STi filter ever need to be replaced like the K&N doesn't?
Technically yes, since it's made out out paper... :o

-Chike

Matthewmongan
06-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Technically yes, since it's made out out paper... :o

-Chike

what are the performance benifits. does it flow better or fif you just want the sti logo in your bay.

thundering02
06-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I will never go back to a hi flow filter after seeing the difference between what the paper one catches and what the hi flow doesn't.

Thinking of just going with an STi panel.

Considering how many times I had the integra apart I find that statement funny that it was cleaner After the hi flow cone...

Chiketkd
06-03-2005, 08:12 PM
what are the performance benifits. does it flow better or fif you just want the sti logo in your bay.
I wanted the logo! :D

-Chike

P.S. Seriously I don't know. I doubt it can flow much better than the green or K&N.

Bobb
06-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone, Heres the way I see it. We all want the best we can afford for our SVXs. And some ccompanies take advantage of us by using arguments that sound good and seem like a good idea at the time. So we do it and find out later that maybe it wasn't a good idea. But who knew? And then its to late. Thats why these little talks are so good for everyone. We can find out other owners experiences and compare and do the best thing. Take care, BOBB

NikFu S.
06-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Considering how many times I had the integra apart I find that statement funny that it was cleaner After the hi flow cone...
I find that strange considering there was never any dirt on my cone filter for the year I used it while my stock paper filter becomes absolutely corroded with what could have been sucked into the intake.

The only thing I ever found in my cone filter was mosquitos and those white seeds that fly around.
It's also VERY hard to clean.

Just doesn't seem worth it, but I did consider using it in series with the paper filter.

I think you can never have too many filters.

Unless ofcourse you aren't getting air. :)