PDA

View Full Version : STI Key for SVX

SilVerXtc
05-25-2005, 03:32 AM
I've heard a couple people on this board say STI key blanks can be cut to work in a SVX. I ordered a STI blank to have cut. I've gone to the dealer, and 3 Locksmiths who all took one look at it and said it is the wrong key and won't work. When I compare the STI key to my stock key I can see the grooves on each side match. the STi key is just thicker. I don't understand why they just can't mill it down and cut it. So how many of you out there are useing STI keys on your SVX? And who did you have cut it? Do I need to mill it down myself?

michael
05-25-2005, 05:40 AM
I have one that the dealer cut for me and it works fine.

red95svx
05-25-2005, 06:54 AM
The STI key is based on a 5 digit code, the SVX key is based on a 4 digit code. The key blanks used for each of these is different. I've never tried to cut a 5 digit key code onto a 4 digit blank, but I'm very surprised to hear that it works. Something tells me that there might be two different types of STI style key blanks out there......

Dave

Hocrest
05-25-2005, 06:58 AM
go over to ultimatesubaru.net and look up a guy named WJM. He was selling STi keys cut for any Subaru.

GreenMarine
05-25-2005, 07:56 AM
go over to ultimatesubaru.net and look up a guy named WJM. He was selling STi keys cut for any Subaru.

Hahahah, you're talking about Will aren't ya.... That little redneck internet whor3 is on NASIOC too :D:D:D... Yea, he will hook ya up... He is living in ATL, so if it doesn't work, ya know where to find him!! :D:cool:

Matthewmongan
05-25-2005, 11:55 AM
yeah it works. with mine i had some barbs where the cutter didnt cut at the tip of the key and it caused it to stick in the ignition, but after i filed it down no trouble at all. my complain is that its huge and it hangs at a right angle with the other keys, case in point it went a half inch into my inner thi, that was the last of that key.

SVXer95
05-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Why do you want an STi key? OE keys are something like $8.00. :confused:

SSSVX
05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Why do you want an STi key? OE keys are something like $8.00. :confused:

Does the STI key look more cool? Any picture?

I'm wondering why do you need to do that. I'm also wondering
that the STI key doesn't have a chip in there for such a new car?

n00b on demand
05-25-2005, 02:08 PM
My original SVX key broke..thanks to my brother :rolleyes: . Can i get one from a dealership? I have the home depot 37-R key that ive been using all this time. Its a big doofy nissan key that i hate.

SVXer95
05-25-2005, 02:12 PM
My original SVX key broke..thanks to my brother :rolleyes: . Can i get one from a dealership? I have the home depot 37-R key that ive been using all this time. Its a big doofy nissan key that i hate.
I got a new SVX key punched at the dealership not more than a year ago. Just call around, I'm sure you can find one.

n00b on demand
05-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I'll call around tomorrow....beter yet hey dave you guys got one at your dealership?

SilVerXtc
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Does the STI key look more cool? Any picture?

I'm wondering why do you need to do that. I'm also wondering
that the STI key doesn't have a chip in there for such a new car?

I really like the looks of the STI key.
http://store1.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1845_16015487

Matthewmongan
05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
its slightly thicker than the "for nissan" key that we get from satan-mart, with the double sided cut out subaru keys can get weak, is a firm push into the ignition and it didnt work on my passenger door but i liked it (until i fell on it, gimpin aint easy) before i buy something i always ask myself "will this hurt when i fall on it?". :D :) :(

ThetaReactor
05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
That's a good idea. I've already fallen out of the car once. I was drunk [not driving], tripped getting out and got a nasty scrape on my forehead. Elbow bled everywhere, too. Japanese cars aren't made for people with size 13 shoes...

That is a pretty sexy key, though.

SubaSteevo
05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
I'd really like to get one of those VW style switchblade keys to work and integrate the stock remote into it, that'd be hot!

n00b on demand
05-26-2005, 09:14 PM
So can the STi key be made to fit for our SVX's? I would love to buy an STi key.

SSSVX
05-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I really like the looks of the STI key.
http://store1.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1845_16015487

Thanks. It looks pretty cool. It looks like it doesn't have a chip inside.

Matthewmongan
05-26-2005, 09:49 PM
no chip. i cut mine apart, what ever you do dont take the rubber off. its the only thing holding the key incert in the handle.

SSSVX
05-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I'd really like to get one of those VW style switchblade keys to work and integrate the stock remote into it, that'd be hot!

Last time, I saw people selling some fake ones on the eBay about 50bucks. It looks like that but it doesn't work like that....:D

Those remote things like VW, Audi, BMW, MB can cost more than 150 per one...it has built-in chip inside.

Rotorflyr
05-27-2005, 09:12 AM

Last time, I saw people selling some fake ones on the eBay about 50bucks. It looks like that but it doesn't work like that....:D

You mean like this one:

http://members.aol.com/Sam16888/benzkey5.jpg

It's $35.95 on e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976417118&category=33723#ebayphotohosting) (at least this auction is)

Matthewmongan
05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
if i had an svx remote (sniff sniff) i could cut that apart and put the electronics from the remote into it. think outside the box, what would Macgyver do.