PDA

View Full Version : Odd Noise on Start-up

SvXit
01-30-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm sure this has happened to somebody else by now; if not, I guess I'm a trailblazer of sorts... but here goes:

Whenever I start the car up (it's kept in a garage) I hear what sounds like an airliner passing overhead. This sound is coming from the engine. :eek: No, really kids, I'm serious. This has been happening for several months now and the performance of the car hasn't gotten any better or any worse, but it does have me wondering what is going on. At first I thought it might have been because my center resonater was shot, but I just had that replaced with a straight pipe and the noise is still there.

Maybe I'm turning into the madman I always knew I could be :D ... OR, maybe this is something others have encountered. Any ideas?

Aredubjay
01-30-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by SvXit
I'm sure this has happened to somebody else by now; if not, I guess I'm a trailblazer of sorts... but here goes:

Whenever I start the car up (it's kept in a garage) I hear what sounds like an airliner passing overhead. This sound is coming from the engine. :eek: No, really kids, I'm serious. This has been happening for several months now and the performance of the car hasn't gotten any better or any worse, but it does have me wondering what is going on. At first I thought it might have been because my center resonater was shot, but I just had that replaced with a straight pipe and the noise is still there.

Maybe I'm turning into the madman I always knew I could be :D ... OR, maybe this is something others have encountered. Any ideas?

Olu, I can already testify to the fact that you're already the madman you knew you could be. :D

I'm just stabbing, here, since I can't actually hear what's going on. But, it sounds like the starter may be staying engaged after release, and winding down. Again, that's just a stab and giving you something to chew on until Chris gives or someone else (Beav?) can give you a qualified answer.

SvXit
01-31-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I'm just stabbing, here, since I can't actually hear what's going on. But, it sounds like the starter may be staying engaged after release, and winding down. Again, that's just a stab and giving you something to chew on until Chris gives or someone else (Beav?) can give you a qualified answer.

Thanks Randy, at least that's something to think about. The sound is not that pronounced outdoors, but fairly noticeable when it has the walls and ceiling of the garage to bounce off of. It's really odd, but it sounds exactly as I described it; like an airplane flying overhead.

Aredubjay
01-31-2002, 10:42 AM

Thanks Randy, at least that's something to think about. The sound is not that pronounced outdoors, but fairly noticeable when it has the walls and ceiling of the garage to bounce off of. It's really odd, but it sounds exactly as I described it; like an airplane flying overhead.

Hmmmmm. Do you start it at exactly the same time every day, and, have you checked flight schedules at the local airport? :D

SvXit
01-31-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hmmmmm. Do you start it at exactly the same time every day, and, have you checked flight schedules at the local airport? :D

See, that's the thing... I hear it loudest in a garage. If there's anything flying around in there, well... mayhaps I'd be safer parking outside! :eek: But seriously, If the radio is turned on a bit, you can't hear it. But with the radio off or turned down, it's quite noticeable. Like I said though, it hasn't gotten better or worse, so for now I'll just consider it a display of character. :)

Ron Mummert
01-31-2002, 02:04 PM
Would that be like a 747 or like a B-17?
Why, Olu, it's your garage door opening!
You're welcome - Ron.

SvXit
01-31-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Would that be like a 747 or like a B-17?
Why, Olu, it's your garage door opening!
You're welcome - Ron.

747. But this is a garage under an apt. building, and I park a good ways away from the door. If the ceiling weren't so low, I would open the sunroof and check to see if anything's flying overhead, but I'm almost certain that's not it. :D

LarryIII
01-31-2002, 02:35 PM
Svxit,

Every building has a natural reverberation (echo) frequency. Most surfaces in a garage are hard so sound bounces off them.
Th check this out do something different and see if the sound changes. If you normally start the car with the garage open, start it with the door closed and see if the sound changes. Open the door quickly. I don't want you to fumigate youself (carbon di & monoxide)
Good Luck and report back your findings.

Larry III

LarryIII
01-31-2002, 02:39 PM

747. But this is a garage under an apt. building, and I park a good ways away from the door. If the ceiling weren't so low, I would open the sunroof and check to see if anything's flying overhead, but I'm almost certain that's not it. :D

Whichever way you park (nose in, trunk in), change your spot and park the other way.

LarryIII

Seraph
01-31-2002, 02:55 PM
I hear airplane noise too. Oh wait. I live right next to the landing strip for Palwakee airport.

There are times I can see the pilot from my window. ;)

Lwin

wawazat??
02-02-2002, 10:04 AM
When ours starts and cycles the ABS system at times it can be quite loud. Comes on and then shuts back off within3-5 secs after first hearing it. Just a thought Olu.
Todd

Beav
02-02-2002, 01:41 PM
I think you'd have about as much luck asking the gal behind the counter at your local 7-11 to figure it out. Your best bet would be to stop somewhere and ask them to listen to the car. If it only happens first thing in the morning, leave it overnight. Dang, it may be something that will end up costing real money if you take your time playing guessing games.

Beav

Zeppelin
02-03-2002, 12:43 PM
Just another thought, but have you replaced your power steering O-ring lately? I was getting a VERY loud noise at my morning startup, but almost never once the car was warm.. Cheap check and worth a shot!

Aredubjay
02-04-2002, 08:40 AM
Sir, would you like a Slushy with that noise? :D

SvXit
02-04-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Just another thought, but have you replaced your power steering O-ring lately? I was getting a VERY loud noise at my morning startup, but almost never once the car was warm. Cheap check and worth a shot!

Hmmm... interesting idea. I do get some vibration when turning the wheel, so that might indeed be worth a look-see.

siegeliv
02-04-2002, 05:42 PM
so many people have made a referance to the power stearing o-ring on this post and others, can some one elaberate on the effort it takes to replace? is it a weekend affair and is the part availible at the dealership or the local discount auto parts? and why do people say "replaced it lately"?

WickedSubie
02-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Take a look at your heater fan. The system in my Gran Prix does all kinds of crazy sounds at different speed settings. Sometimes it sounds like a train going by, other times a cop on my butt.

Fortunately the stereo covers it pretty handily or I'd be nuts from looking for cops.

Aredubjay
02-08-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by siegeliv
so many people have made a referance to the power stearing o-ring on this post and others, can some one elaberate on the effort it takes to replace? is it a weekend affair and is the part availible at the dealership or the local discount auto parts? and why do people say "replaced it lately"?

Siegeliv -- go to the "Personal Folders" link at the top of the page. Click on the "How-to" personal folder. It has detailed instructions (written by yours truly after the experience) on how to do the o-ring fix. The job is less than an hour. There's also a photo to show exactly what you're looking for.

If your power steering is "jittering" in low speed turns and/or your PS pump is "groaning" from lock to lock, the o-ring is likely worn and causing the system to suck air. Many people have had their entire pump replaced at great cost, when it would've taken less than an hour and a three dollar o-ring to fix the problem. Obviously, if the symptoms continue, the pump should be replaced, but an hour's time and three bucks is an inexpensive diagnostic, indeed.

DavieGravy
02-21-2002, 09:08 PM
I have the same sound when I start my 92 svx up, but it comes from the rear. It's a roaring sound like a jet liner and then it goes away. I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same noise in my 86 honda accord aswell!!!